Foot pain?

Eric Jorgensen

I'm a n00bie, about 30 days into learning the 9B1E and with about 30km under my belt.  I try to ride at least every other day and still, after I ride about 1km, my feet start to hurt like crazy!  The pain fills up the volume of each foot, as if all the internal foot muscles have been over-strained.   I was hoping it would go away as my feet got stronger, but I'm starting to think it might be something I'm doing wrong, like using an incorrect foot position on the pedals.   

Anyone have any experience or advice to share on this?

-e

9B1 has large pedals...how far did your feet stick over the pedals?

hmmh! normally this pain goes away...but difficult to say...because who knows how your feet are adjusted?

i can only guess you have them to far in front...

This could be down to multiply factors - unsuitable footware / shoes (or even socks), incorrect possition of the feet on the pedals or against the body of the wheel, trying "too hard" / being stressed out / not relaxed, having bad overall posture and so on ...Some people are more sensitive than other to the pressure on the feet without moving for extended (or even brief) period of time. All I can suggest is to try to relax and experiment with different feet possitioning on the pedals. Using the firmer shoes helps as well though too firm / heavy boots might have negative / opposite effect.

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

[...]

i can only guess you have them to far in front...

Actually, for me it's the other way around -- putting my feet more forward means that I don't have to "push" as much with my toes to accelerate, thus making for less strain. Another thing I recently discovered was that by adjusting the tilt angle forward a bit I don't have to work as hard, since the natural inclination of the wheel will be to move forward instead of standing still. Not sure if it's possible to do this with the 9bot though. Also, shoes with sturdy soles help alot.

Overall what it comes down to for me is making sure I'm relaxed when I'm on the wheel.

This isn't uncommon... a part of it is that this is a new action, with relatively little movement (to assist with circulation).

First off, get some good footwear (as suggested by @HEC) - something with a strong / stiff sole and good ankle support too (or as good as you can find in the cupboard).

When I was "newer" I had similar pain, mainly during long straight periods. I counter that (still) by slowly weaving from side to side along the path, as I understand it the changes in position promote circulation. And you could also try gently pushing one heel and the other toe, then alternating to the other - with a little practice you can do this while riding in a straight line, again helping relieve any pressure points.

17 minutes ago, Eric Jorgensen said:

like using an incorrect foot position on the pedals.   

I think that is the main thing, sometimes my feet start to hurt and I just either slightly keep moving my feet, after slowing down of course, until it gets more comfortable, or I stop and get off completely and start over, or even grab a pole or tree and readjust my feet that way.  Also as others have said, try different shoes, flat soled feels way different than hikers or boots.

I have chronic foot problems, not from riding EUCs, and I have the foot pain that grows to unbearable levels too if I ride too long without a break. My best suggestion is to try different types of shoes till you find out which are best for you. 

8 hours ago, thefork said:

Actually, for me it's the other way around -- putting my feet more forward means that I don't have to "push" as much with my toes to accelerate, thus making for less strain. Another thing I recently discovered was that by adjusting the tilt angle forward a bit I don't have to work as hard, since the natural inclination of the wheel will be to move forward instead of standing still. Not sure if it's possible to do this with the 9bot though. Also, shoes with sturdy soles help alot.

Overall what it comes down to for me is making sure I'm relaxed when I'm on the wheel.

It's possible to adjust the Ninebot for this.

I've set up 2 degree forward tilt with this method:

Do a lift when powered on, let the wheel spin til it bips-red circle alarm.

Push the on/off button til the bip stops.

Calibrate the bot (pitch and roll), 

Push on/off button

Restart the 9bot

I'm having less problems by wearing trekking shoes with a solid sole. I did a small tour with leather soles (business shoes), which wasn't amazing at all. I can ride 10-12 km without problems. My wife is limited to a couple of km. The kids having no problem.

My wife has less problems by standing as much to the front as drivable. To putting the tooth above the pedal is not the problem. It looks like more the problem how you need to press to accelerate. We'll try softer mods to ride. If she can't stay any longer we change the eWheels and she's riding my MSuper.

Either the pedals on a Firewheel are superior or the soft riding mode prevents feet from hurting.

@OliverHThat's a very individual und rare situation (shoe as just as long as the pedal) and will be no help for the most of the wheelers. My shoe size is 47 (US) and my shoe (foot) is much longer then the pedal of the KS16. This wedge would not be under my toes but somewhere under my bunion. Surely no solution to get rid of my foot pain!

10 hours ago, Eric Jorgensen said:

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions!   I am wearing converse high-tops, so I am going to try switching to something with a more sturdy sole

If I remember correctly from years ago when I had converse shoes, the sole is flat.

I discovered very recently with DCShoes that flat soles make your legs slightly bent inwards, thus straining more your calf against the wheel case.

Whilst shoes with foot arch support really ease the calf pressure on the case (ok this is slightly off topic since it eases calf pain and not foot pain ;))

41 minutes ago, SeabirdHH said:

@Reivax Sorry, yes ... 47 EU, 12.5 US.:)

... and here, what it looks like on the pedal of the KS. So no chance with the wedge of the Swedisch MSuper rider:(.

image.jpeg

Uhh, really. You're just showing the place where the wedge fits to. I'll try this on the KS16 of my wife.

I also got foot pain (at the bottom of my foot) after riding my One E+ for about 3 km straight.

ps. I find I ride my one E+ better when I'm a bit drunk and don't feel any pain. I'm not encouraging drink and ride!!!

We had yesterday discussion at home. My wife was sure she's having a flat sole on both shoes she tried. Both went straight up in the front ;) I need to search for some material on my workbench to make some prototypes.

Made a drawing on my iPad and I think the future will be adjustable, ergonomic and partly curved pedals. So pedals can be longer without touching the ground. Pedals in two parts (body and top deck (e.g. 9b1, ACM, KS16,..) should be modified easy to a given foot size with a new modified top deck.

The two upcoming parts of the curving can be adjusted in the middle part to adjust it two different foot sizes. This will need a new pedal body to make it in a proper way.

52 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Made a drawing on my iPad and I think the future will be adjustable, ergonomic and partly curved pedals. So pedals can be longer without touching the ground. Pedals in two parts (body and top deck (e.g. 9b1, ACM, KS16,..) should be modified easy to a given foot size with a new modified top deck.

The two upcoming parts of the curving can be adjusted in the middle part to adjust it two different foot sizes. This will need a new pedal body to make it in a proper way.

? I am curious to know how this will look after completion!

34 minutes ago, Reivax said:

I'm sure it will look both sleek and slick, since it was designed with an iPad !

I'm drawing like a 5 years kid. Don't expect to much ;) Did it only to have my ideas somewhere.

That's the reason I haven't posted it :)

31 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi, it's the same for me on the gotway, it has something to do with the pedals because it never happened with the f528.

I said it somewhere. The Firewheel has great pedals and has no madden mode. So it's responsive in the same moment you think to accelerate. The only think what happenend on long tours 30-40 km on a Firewheel is that the feets become bloodless, non sensitive. But no pain.

I think it's a combination of hard style driving mode (need to push it hard in the wrong position) and non ergonomic pedals.

Archived