Electric Unicycling as a sport - disciplines

I am not sure if there are enough EUC riders yet but I was having a think of what kind of EUC disciplines might in the future make good spectator sports or competitions. One way to improve the perception of electric unicycling could be to have some demonstration events that show the creativity and skill of the community (combining both sporting and non-sporting aspects to appeal to as wider audience as possible). Has anyone had any experience of participating in an EUC competition? I know there is some talk of creating some form of competition via the forum. Can anyone think of rules for a futuristic game or competition  that could be played by teams of EUC riders?

Potential Competitive Disciplines

• Artistic/Circus Electric Unicycling (where one or more riders performs artistic moves or tricks, with or without props (E.g. juggling clubs, skipping rope))
  • Cross Country Electric Unicycling
  • EUC Game of WHEEL (EUC equivalent to a game of SKATE)
  • Street/Freestyle Electric Unicycling (involves the use of urban obstacles, performing tricks on, onto or over these obstacles)
  • EUC Trials riding - (where riders attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground)

Team Sports

• EUC Dodgeball
  • EUC Hockey
  • EUC Lacrosse
  • EUC Netball
  • Synchronised Electric Unicycling - (where multiple riders perform synchronised manoeuvres, with or without music)

Non-Sport Competitions or Events

• GBOR style event (E.g. largest gathering of riders)
  • Recreational Rides
  • Recreational Night Rides
  • Customisation- EUC or outfits
  • Upvote 2

Ooh ooh :blink:  EUC slalom jousting!  Nude female hula hoop hill climbing and descent competition (just throwing that out there, I don't know why it came to mind :ph34r:)!  EUC paintball battles!  EUC relay races!  EUC speed oval racing with obstacles while racing drones (for those multi-tasking freaks out there)!  I'm sure more will come to mind later... ^_^

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

People love crashes, so racing as fast as you can until you force a shutdown would get a lot of views. Other than that Jonathan I think the videos you are posting have a strong appeal to those outside of actual users. Heads up racing around a track would be interesting. Have you seen the downhill ice skating races?

• speed track racing (go-cart tracks are good),
  • dirt track racing (bmx, motocross and mountain bike tracks),
  • freestyle (like figure skating, choreographed maybe singles and doubles)
  • street/park riding (skate parks, obstacles etc.)
  • downhill (full leather gear, boots, helmets and slide gloves)
  • Trial riding sounds mad cool too (hops, near vert, balancing and mounds) amof I think I will look for trials courses here in Portland
  • Upvote 2

What about precision courses. You will have to follow a line and every cm you go left or right of it is penalty points. Least penalty points win. 

The line has straights, shallow and sharp curves, 180 turns. It will go below branches and through very narrow places and over narrow ledges.

• Upvote 3

If it moves, someone is going to race it. We have an opportunity to formulate a whole new racing series. Electric Unicycle Racing Association,  EURA for short(oo-rah).

First up would be safety equipment. I am thinking motocross, BMX and roller derby.  Helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, wrist protectors, chest protectors, hip pads, knee pads and boots. This is very important to set and example of what a racer should look like. Every little  kid in the world who wants to ride an off road bike wants all of the safety equipment because it is cool. All of their great heroes wear all safety gear and they want to look like them. Plus, once we start racing, the speeds will go up real fast and we don't want the negativity of people getting bad injuries. Yes there are going to be injuries, but we need to minimize them.

i know racers do not like extra weigh so we need to take this into consideration. There has to be a class setup so that racers can race equally. A 100 kg person racing a 40 kg wouldn't have a chance. I am thinking a 50kg, 75kg and 100kg minimum weight classes. If you weigh 40 kg and have 5kg of safety equipment, then, you would have to have wear another 5kg soft weight belt(like scuba diving) to get you to the minimum weight. If you weigh 60 kg with all of your gear on, then you would have to add 15kg to race in 75kg class or race at 60 kg in the 50kg class with the weight penalty. Maybe we will need more classes at diferent weights.

The hardest part of any racing series is making sure that everyone follows the technical rules. This is what I propose to circumvent that problem. Instead of a bunch of technical rules governing every aspect of unicycle modification and then having a bunch of technical experts trying to enforce cheating, I suggest no rules, but, manufacturers sponsoring their own classes and providing the wheels for the race. EU's are inexpensive when compared to other racing vehicles. The group that would benefit the most from EURA would be the manufacturers. This means at every race, EU manufacturers would bring a minimum number of EUs to provide for the race all prepped equality, to be given out by lottery for each race. This way the manufacturers would control the cost. If they wanted to bring production line models to race to help sales, they could do that. If on the other hand, they wanted to build specials just for racing that would be an option also. Every manufacturer would be in their own technical class so every driver would be on equal equipment. For example, Gotway could bring 20 18" wheels for the Gotway Msuper class and bring another 20 for a 14" class. I would like to think we could have a formulae libre class to run anything with one wheel just to stimulate EU technology.

Drivers would have to practice on their own wheels at home and then at the track use the factory wheels. If there were more than 20 racers for a manufacturers class, then there would have to be prelims to narrow the field down. The same wheels could be used for the different weigh classes. The manufacturers would be responsible for charging and making sure every wheel was equal. Even if we have factory riders, the manufacturers would not know who would get which wheel in the lottery, so their motivation would be to make the wheels as even as possible.

now what kind of racing? Flat track, motocross, oval, uphill, downhill, ice, drags, trials, skateboard track or maybe a combination of several for an overall champion. Let's try to think outside the box, like running up a bobsled run in the summer.

Now I am big fan of trials and trick stuff, but all out racing gets most of the spectators. There is no reason why racing, trials and  tricks could not be implemented in the same weekend using the same equipment and classes used for racing.

This whole series could be possible with the backing of just one manufacturer, better with more.

These are some of my ideas and we have a lot of people here to improve on this, so let's hear some comments and hopefully from some of the manufacturers.

Mike

• Upvote 3

@Jonathan Tolhurst I am currently working with the EUC Forum Moderators to formulate the rules on the EUC $1000 Competition. I have also contacted a company that deals specifically with video competition contests for their assistance.Hopefully will have all the necessary information and the competitin rules completed by next week. Always look forward to your input!

I'm out!

1 hour ago, Makoben said:

If it moves, someone is going to race it. We have an opportunity to formulate a whole new racing series. Electric Unicycle Racing Association,  EURA for short(oo-rah).

First up would be safety equipment. I am thinking motocross, BMX and roller derby.  Helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, wrist protectors, chest protectors, hip pads, knee pads and boots. This is very important to set and example of what a racer should look like. Every little  kid in the world who wants to ride an off road bike wants all of the safety equipment because it is cool. All of their great heroes wear all safety gear and they want to look like them. Plus, once we start racing, the speeds will go up real fast and we don't want the negativity of people getting bad injuries. Yes there are going to be injuries, but we need to minimize them.

i know racers do not like extra weigh so we need to take this into consideration. There has to be a class setup so that racers can race equally. A 100 kg person racing a 40 kg wouldn't have a chance. I am thinking a 50kg, 75kg and 100kg minimum weight classes. If you weigh 40 kg and have 5kg of safety equipment, then, you would have to have wear another 5kg soft weight belt(like scuba diving) to get you to the minimum weight. If you weigh 60 kg with all of your gear on, then you would have to add 15kg to race in 75kg class or race at 60 kg in the 50kg class with the weight penalty. Maybe we will need more classes at diferent weights.

The hardest part of any racing series is making sure that everyone follows the technical rules. This is what I propose to circumvent that problem. Instead of a bunch of technical rules governing every aspect of unicycle modification and then having a bunch of technical experts trying to enforce cheating, I suggest no rules, but, manufacturers sponsoring their own classes and providing the wheels for the race. EU's are inexpensive when compared to other racing vehicles. The group that would benefit the most from EURA would be the manufacturers. This means at every race, EU manufacturers would bring a minimum number of EUs to provide for the race all prepped equality, to be given out by lottery for each race. This way the manufacturers would control the cost. If they wanted to bring production line models to race to help sales, they could do that. If on the other hand, they wanted to build specials just for racing that would be an option also. Every manufacturer would be in their own technical class so every driver would be on equal equipment. For example, Gotway could bring 20 18" wheels for the Gotway Msuper class and bring another 20 for a 14" class. I would like to think we could have a formulae libre class to run anything with one wheel just to stimulate EU technology.

Drivers would have to practice on their own wheels at home and then at the track use the factory wheels. If there were more than 20 racers for a manufacturers class, then there would have to be prelims to narrow the field down. The same wheels could be used for the different weigh classes. The manufacturers would be responsible for charging and making sure every wheel was equal. Even if we have factory riders, the manufacturers would not know who would get which wheel in the lottery, so their motivation would be to make the wheels as even as possible.

now what kind of racing? Flat track, motocross, oval, uphill, downhill, ice, drags, trials, skateboard track or maybe a combination of several for an overall champion. Let's try to think outside the box, like running up a bobsled run in the summer.

Now I am big fan of trials and trick stuff, but all out racing gets most of the spectators. There is no reason why racing, trials and  tricks could not be implemented in the same weekend using the same equipment and classes used for racing.

This whole series could be possible with the backing of just one manufacturer, better with more.

These are some of my ideas and we have a lot of people here to improve on this, so let's hear some comments and hopefully from some of the manufacturers.

Mike

Huh? You can't just race through life, just ask your significant other! It takes real moves, patience and of course endurance!

To have a good time.....ya need to take yer time.....work it good. 

And that's word.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 5:29 AM, johrhoj said:

What about precision courses. You will have to follow a line and every cm you go left or right of it is penalty points. Least penalty points win. 

The line has straights, shallow and sharp curves, 180 turns. It will go below branches and through very narrow places and over narrow ledges.

That's what I did today, riding the bike and walking trails. The narrow ledges are not my fun yet.:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/23/2016 at 3:04 PM, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

I am not sure if there are enough EUC riders yet but I was having a think of what kind of EUC disciplines might in the future make good spectator sports or competitions. One way to improve the perception of electric unicycling could be to have some demonstration events that show the creativity and skill of the community (combining both sporting and non-sporting aspects to appeal to as wider audience as possible). Has anyone had any experience of participating in an EUC competition? I know there is some talk of creating some form of competition via the forum. Can anyone think of rules for a futuristic game or competition  that could be played by teams of EUC riders?

Potential Competitive Disciplines

• Artistic/Circus Electric Unicycling (where one or more riders performs artistic moves or tricks, with or without props (E.g. juggling clubs, skipping rope))
  • Cross Country Electric Unicycling
  • EUC Game of WHEEL (EUC equivalent to a game of SKATE)
  • Street/Freestyle Electric Unicycling (involves the use of urban obstacles, performing tricks on, onto or over these obstacles)
  • EUC Trials riding - (where riders attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground)

Team Sports

• EUC Dodgeball
  • EUC Hockey
  • EUC Lacrosse
  • EUC Netball
  • Synchronised Electric Unicycling - (where multiple riders perform synchronised manoeuvres, with or without music)

Non-Sport Competitions or Events

• GBOR style event (E.g. largest gathering of riders)
  • Recreational Rides
  • Recreational Night Rides
  • Customisation- EUC or outfits

My friends and I thought of trying to find enough people to play EUC Polo and Lacrosse but I think that’s a pipe dream until there are more riders! I love your ideas. Also... how can you forget about the EUC Racing League? If it doesn’t exist... it needs to. Lol. 

On 6/23/2016 at 3:23 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ooh ooh :blink:  EUC slalom jousting!  Nude female hula hoop hill climbing and descent competition (just throwing that out there, I don't know it came to mind :ph34r:)!  EUC paintball battles!  EUC relay races!  EUC speed oval racing with obstacles while racing drones (for those multi-tasking freaks out there)!  I'm sure more will come to mind later... ^_^

I’m in for some jousting... we can use pugil sticks.... let’s do this.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

How about a game of gel-ball. It's kind of like paint ball, but with less mess since it's only water. The gel balls are also much more bio-degradable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Splatter-Eco-Friendly-Suitable-Backyard/dp/B09W2QW717/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=Orbis+Games&qid=1658645447&sr=8-13

Hitting a moving target like a friend on a EUC while you're also on an EUC will be a real challenge.

I have a large sports field next to my home. The grass is short enough and the ground is just bumpy enough to make it a challenge to maintain a moderate level of speed. I would like to organize a "capture the flag" type game where the flag might be a balloon or something which needs to be burst and each team needs to defend their balloon while also attacking the other teams balloon. If you get hit by a gel ball you need to circle around back to your balloon to "reset". This way we maintain constant motion.

If you live near Toronto PM me if you're interested.