Messed up my knee by faceplanting

Cloud

So, about 3-4 weeks i faceplanted when my wheel gave in after i tried to accelerate on a low battery. I thought i was more or less ok, and i dint really have issues except bruises, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my knee started to swell up - apparently its either blood accumulated inside or this liquid that i dont remember what its called. See attached pics - you can see the difference between the two knees. I did an xray yesterday and im waiting for the results, not sure bow serious it is.

the point of my post is - wear the freaking knee protection!!!!! 

I find that, at least for me, it is the most vulnerable spot on the body when i faceplant

2pzjt08.jpg

2uj6ssz.jpg

2 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Which wheel were you on?

ks14. But the battery was probably at 20-25% and althought the speed was not that high, i think i accelerated and that probably caused the wheel to dive or cut off

Oh no!  :blink:  Where's Rehab1?  I Googled this:

"Knee effusion

The rapidity of onset of knee effusion may corroborate a particular diagnosis. Effusion onset within 6 hours supports the assumption of a cruciate ligament tear, articular fracture, or knee dislocation, whereas delayed edema occurs with meniscal injuries.

Nearly one half of patients with an acute ligament rupture have localized edema at the site of injury.

Complete ligamentous or capsular disruption can give rise to less-than-anticipated swelling if fluid exudes through the tear. Recurrent knee effusion after activity is consistent with a meniscal injury.

Localized distension may originate from bursitis (prepatellar bursitis), meniscal cystic changes, outgrowth of a popliteal cyst (Baker cyst), or dilation of an artery (popliteal-artery aneurysm)."

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/meniscus-tear-topic-overview

I think EUC makers should think about implementing a small 4-6 cell battery pack that is held in reserve from the main packs to act as a sort of "Burst Mode" or "Emergency Reserve" power source that can kick in if the main cells are over-taxed in situations where the main reserve power is running low, over-leans, uphill situations, etc.

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

ks14. But the battery was probably at 20-25% and althought the speed was not that high, i think i accelerated and that probably caused the wheel to dive or cut off

What's the battery capacity on your ks14?  (e.g. 680 Wh, 340 Wh)

Was it the 800w motor version?

I think in general everyone should be very careful and ride less aggressively once the battery is less than "half full".  Especially the lower the amount of parallel battery packs the wheel has since that would increase the "voltage drop" problem.  For example, 680 Wh has four parallel packs while 340 Wh has two parallel packs.

Regardless, I hope your injury is nothing too serious and you recover fast.

18 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Shoot...this sounds so bad! My doctor actually mentioned bursitis when she saw it,,,

Well it's just kind of at the top when you Google it so maybe I'm way off with my online diagnosis.  We're all amateur MD's online, and some of us have watched more episodes of "House" than others so take it for what it's worth.  ^_^  I hope it gets better soon.

If not can I get first dibs on your ks14? JK!

OUCH! How is your range of movement? OK I hope. Hopefully the edema will dissipate on its own or can be drained. Head, knees, elbows, wrists; all worth protecting when we ride! I admit I only wear a helmet and serious gloves when I ride, even though I've hurt an elbow in a previous fall (overlean, uphill, IPS Zero).

i would say: bursitis...i had that on my right ellbow...just because of a little knock on it...

but thats all....hurts...or can hurt....but after a while the swelling goes away and everything should be good again

So sorry to hear about you mishap! Yah you sure hit hard! If your range of motion is ok in flexion and extension and you can bare weight without alot of pain you probably just have synovial fluid built up around the patella from the impact that will need to be drained. Best wishes!

traumatic bursitis probably, so the Xray will show nothing; just have to get it drained (several times) and you'll be as good as new.

You probably were lucky, it's just the knee. The most vulnerable for impact is the face>wrist>elbow>knee

Protective gear doesn't protect against torsional accidents, you can still get a full ligament tear, so aggressive riding can come a a price

May the Big Rider watch over you on your next trip.

Oh no, even the experienced riders as you are doing too fast accelerations :( No wonder why I also do stupid things from time to time.

Have on mind that the Xray will show you only bones problems. I hope you do not have ligament/meniscus ruptures. They would be evident in MRI scan.

Get well soon.

@Cloud I think we should all post pictures of our  bumps, bruises and post op surgery/ xrays.  I do not  wear protective gear when riding which is stubborn and stupid on my part! The equipment just seems to take away from the freedom of riding. @EUC Extreme is different. If we ride at his caliber we must wear protection to the max! Ok, let me add a photo to the 'EUC Injury Club'. Kind of like the 'Jaws' movie where they compared scars. I  encountered an ATV on the road that was not not paying attention thus forcing me into a ditch. Only a bone contusion and all healed now.

jaws%2Bcopy.jpg

8 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Well it's just kind of at the top when you Google it so maybe I'm way off with my online diagnosis.  We're all amateur MD's online, and some of us have watched more episodes of "House" than others so take it for what it's worth.  ^_^  I hope it gets better soon.

If not can I get first dibs on your ks14? JK!

4 hours ago, who_the said:

OUCH! How is your range of movement? OK I hope. Hopefully the edema will dissipate on its own or can be drained. Head, knees, elbows, wrists; all worth protecting when we ride! I admit I only wear a helmet and serious gloves when I ride, even though I've hurt an elbow in a previous fall (overlean, uphill, IPS Zero).

I see to be able to have the full range, except that because if the fluid built up, bending all the way is painful. It appears that maybe it looks a little better today, i think it may be dissipating a but. I usually wear gloves but nothing else. Besides the palms, i hit my knees the most, never hit my head, thank god

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i would say: bursitis...i had that on my right ellbow...just because of a little knock on it...

but thats all....hurts...or can hurt....but after a while the swelling goes away and everything should be good again

Yes , i think so, it looks better today, hooe its going away. 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

So sorry to hear about you mishap! Yah you sure hit hard! If your range of motion is ok in flexion and extension and you can bare weight without alot of pain you probably just have synovial fluid built up around the patella from the impact that will need to be drained. Best wishes!

Thank you. Yeah the doctor mentioned it should be drained

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

traumatic bursitis probably, so the Xray will show nothing; just have to get it drained (several times) and you'll be as good as new.

You probably were lucky, it's just the knee. The most vulnerable for impact is the face>wrist>elbow>knee

Protective gear doesn't protect against torsional accidents, you can still get a full ligament tear, so aggressive riding can come a a price

May the Big Rider watch over you on your next trip.

Yeah, i am a bit surprised this happened as i had had this level of acceleration before on a low battery. Who knows, maybe the pavement was not perfectly even and a little " wave" in the asphalt added more load to the motor. Its hard to exactly recreate what happened

5 minutes ago, DS said:

Oh no, even the experienced riders as you are doing too fast accelerations :( No wonder why I also do stupid things from time to time.

Have on mind that the Xray will show you only bones problems. I hope you do not have ligament/meniscus ruptures. They would be evident in MRI scan.

Get well soon.

Yeah, i fell a couple of times on a low battery where the wheel didnt have enough power to hold me upright. For a moment i forgot about the battery level and thats when it happens. Not aggressively riding, but on low battery we need to be extra careful and accelerate very slowly.

thank you guys, i have to get better soon, a thought of not being able to ride my wheel in the future is killing me! So i have to get better:) 

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Cloud I think we should all post pictures of our  bumps, bruises and post op surgery/ xrays.  I do not  wear protective gear when riding which is stubborn and stupid on my part! The equipment just seems to take away from the freedom of riding. @EUC Extreme is different. If we ride at his caliber we must wear protection to the max! Ok, let me add a photo to the 'EUC Injury Club'. Kind of like the 'Jaws' movie where they compared scars. I  encountered an ATV on the road that was not not paying attention thus forcing me into a ditch. Only a bone contusion and all healed now.

I love that scene! They look so natural , great acting.

wow, your pics look scarier than mine. Glad its all healed now! I am sure the thought of wanting ti ride your wheel again had accelerated the healing process for you!

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yeah, i fell a couple of times on a low battery where the wheel didnt have enough power to hold me upright.

Curious what is your weight?

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

thank you guys, i have to get better soon, a thought of not being able to ride my wheel in the future is killing me! So i have to get better:) 

As long as one doesn't fall, it seems eucing puts less stress on the knees than walking.  The trick, of course, is to somehow not fall.  :P 

32 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yeah, i fell a couple of times on a low battery where the wheel didnt have enough power to hold me upright. For a moment i forgot about the battery level and thats when it happens. Not aggressively riding, but on low battery we need to be extra careful and accelerate very slowly.

Yep, had the MBS cutting in once, batt not fully charged, accelarating almost at max, on minimal downward slope, when I ran into a very small pit...barely managed to jump off.

minor things but + + + + = too much drain of the batt

I  try to avoid riding my IPS T680+ below 55V, and tend to be extra careful below 58V (around 80% cap). So when possible I charge to 100% justbefore riding.

It might be an idea to get some padded knee protectors with some hard outer shells and Velcro straps.  If you wear loose enough pants they might be able to be worn underneath, but then it would be a pain to put on and take off at a destination.   It might not help with torsion injuries, but at least it's an added layer of something between hard asphalt and your body.   I'm still waiting for my protective pads, jacket (with elbow, back, and shoulder pads), and an extra helmet. 

When you consider that we are rolling on a single wheel it's quite a balancing act of physics, electronics, and magic so it's easy to take it for granted that we're invincible and forget that we are teetering on a small, single contact patch.  Have you ever forgotten to turn the wheel on and tried to get on?  I've done that a few times, and you come to realize that there's quite a bit that the electronics are doing for you.

The average EUC rider might not do a lot of crazy flips and jumps like BMX riders or motorcyclists, but at the speeds we're going at it's easy to see how high the risk for injuries can be.  Unfortunately it can take a serious injury before the protective wear goes on.  I've seen so many posts about injuries that I'm thinking yeah I don't want to be in that situation so I'm riding carefully and getting some padding just in case.  I like riding my EUC too much to be sidelined for any reason.

@Rehab1 - Did you get your Flame Edition NB1E+?  Hate to sound like a certain restaurant ad, but I'm lovin' it!  The colours are pretty low key but still enough to make it stand out.  I rolled by a couple of bicyclists taking a break on a bench, and they both shouted out "That's awesome!!"  I gave them a thumbs up as I rolled past.  After a while, you almost forget the first time you saw a rider on an EUC so it's nice to be reminded every so often by other people's reactions to it.

BTW that's a cute helmet on a very cute little kid!  He looks ready for some pod racing!

52 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I'm still waiting for my protective pads, jacket (with elbow, back, and shoulder pads), and an extra helmet. 

will you send us a vid or some pictures?

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Thanks for asking! Suppose to arrive tomorrow. Sounds terrible but I had to redirect the delivery to a Fedex location as I would not be home to sign for it. Wanted to make sure I still had a place to sleep at night;) The little guy is having cranial remolding treatment. A mom painted the aviator theme. My patient's moms are so creative.

Archived