new IPS ZERO broke - Help needed

Niobium

Hello EUC community,

I've started my EUC journey three month ago with a used e-run 14'' EUC and quickly found out I need something stronger and faster. I bought an IPS ZERO (340Wh) mid of February and got it delivered mid of March.

In my third ride it broke - fortunately while I was holding on to a light post. I contacted the seller and after describing the facts, I received the information (full correspondence below):

Control board is broken, he will send me a new one. One day later I got an other email stating that an exchange of the control board is not necessary:

I should buy the MOSFETs in my country and replace them on my own! This is not acceptable!

I asked IPS for help (email to manager@ipselectricunicycle.com on the 19.4.) but received no answer yet.

I bought from IPS because of their good name and expected good quality. From my todays perspective I don't see either.   

Could you help me getting this issue solved?

Best Regards

Stefan

My correspondence with the seller and IPS (read from bottom to top):

Dear IPS Management,

I've bought a brand new IPS Zero that stopped working after the first few kilometers.
Contacting the Seller a few days ago (details below) I got the confirmation, that the control board is broken and they will send a new one. Today (19.04.2016) I received the Info I shall buy and replace the MOSfets on the control board (see correspondence below).
This is not acceptable.
I've bought a new IPS Zero for 699$ and want to have fun driving. I don't want to start getting an expert in taking it apart and fixing electronics.
I hope that you can help me solving this issue.

Details:
IPS Zero (340Wh)
Series Number: 1015xxxxxxxx
Order Date: 14.02.2016
Delivery date: beginning of March 2016

Ordered from:
     shopelectricunicycle.com
     Order Number: 7216

With best Regards
Stefan

Am 19.04.2016 um 18:07 schrieb Martin Lee:
 no other solutions!

Thank you
 Martin Lee

Electric Unicycle Online Shop
 Email:sales@shopelectricunicycle.com
 Web:shopelectricunicycle.com
 Phone:+86 185 8021 8352
     Date: 2016-04-20 00:01
     To: Martin Lee
     Subject: Re: IPS Zero 340Wh - stopped working -Order: 7216 - 14.02.2016
     Hi Martin,

I'm not an electronics expert. I just want to have fun with my brand new 700,- $ EUC.
     Please come up with an other solution.

Best Regards
     Stefan  

Am 19.04.2016 um 06:09 schrieb Martin Lee:
     Dear Stefan,

you can order the attachment MOS parts in your country,not necessarily change control       board IPS technical said.

Best Regards

Martin Lee

Am 18.04.2016 um 20:40 schrieb Stefan  :
     Hi Martin,

Thanks for the fast reply.
     Please find attached the photo with the series number.
     Do you also send a description of how to change the control board?

Best Regards
     Stefan  

Am 18.04.2016 um 07:36 schrieb Martin Lee:
     control board is broken !

send me the series number on tire like attachment l will send you the control board.

Best Regards

Martin Lee

Date: 2016-04-16 22:38
         Hi,

I've attached the videos in lower quality

BR
         Stefan  

Am 16.04.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Martin Lee:
         when l open the link turn to attachment !

what can l do??

please send by attachment l can check it easy 10-30MB is OK .

use phone take a short video it is too simple !

Thank you!

Martin Lee

Date: 2016-04-16 20:27
             Hi Martin,

I've made two videos you can find here: LINK deleted

PIN:  IPSZero

The IPS Zero does not switch on any more. Also it doesn't charge. The wheel doesn't     rotate free. It is not mechanical blocked,  it feels more like it flips from one magnet to     the next.

BR
             Stefan  

Am 11.04.2016 um 03:42 schrieb Martin Lee:
             Dear Stefan,

please send me the video explain what is going on.

what l am talking about is video l hope l can receive the video by attachment from your     next Email if you want to solve the problem quickly.

Best Regards

Martin Lee

Date: 2016-04-11 02:22
                 Subject: IPS Zero 340Wh - stopped working -Order: 7216 - 14.02.2016
                 Hi Martin,

I was on a ride with my IPS Zero and while standing on it and holding to a lightpost it          stopped working.
                 The lights went out and I could not find him on the IPS Mobile app.
                 The charger wont charge, also the battery was down to ~65%.
                 What is your proposal?

Best Regards
                 Stefan

I agree, the reseller should be working for you here and making IPS send you a new board. It sounds like IPS told the shopelectricunicycle.com people that you should do the board repairs but I don' think that is reasonable for product that you have only owned for a month. This looks bad for both IPS and the reseller, I hope they will do the right thing and fix it.

Here the reply from the seller on paypal...

23.04.2016 16:53 MESZ - Verkäufer: the title goods didn't the same as description is absolutely !the buyer received the goods for more than 40days UPS trucking number 1Z4A185V6847149239and complaint the goods didn't the same as description is ridiculous !

23.04.2016 16:35 MESZ - Verkäufer: you rode more than one month and want a replacement are you crazy ?

:o I don't know what to say... Now I 've applied for buyer protection and handed over to paypal.

1 hour ago, Niobium said:

Here the reply from the seller on paypal...

23.04.2016 16:53 MESZ - Verkäufer: the title goods didn't the same as description is absolutely !the buyer received the goods for more than 40days UPS trucking number 1Z4A185V6847149239and complaint the goods didn't the same as description is ridiculous !

23.04.2016 16:35 MESZ - Verkäufer: you rode more than one month and want a replacement are you crazy ?

:o I don't know what to say... Now I 've applied for buyer protection and handed over to paypal.

Insist that the wheel stopped working under warranty.

@Niobium just a tip from me ... the seller might contact you outside of Paypal and promise a solution. But you MUST NEVER close the paypal dispute before a solution has been agreed to on Paypal. (After closing a Paypal dispute you will not be able to reopen it!).

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Niobium said:

The seller openly admits that he is refusing to do anything about a product that has failed within one month - he is more than crazy, he's barking!

BTW, did the seller make any statement as to warrantee in the first place, if so best to capture that so you have clear evidence to present to PayPal. 

I love the idea of changing the MOSFETs yourself. I think that is an excellent idea as long as you can get them to send you: the correct devices plus a temperature controlled soldering iron, desoldering station plus anti static mat & wrist strap and solder :-)

IPS have standardized their control-board across their product line, even the a130 uses the same board. 

One of the reasons of this decision was to have more consistent & reliable parts. Those guys should really be in a position to just send you out a board as a replacement. 

a130 Control-board.png

Thank you all for your feedback!  @Keith you've made a point... I'd love to have new soldering equipment! :D

So for now I will go an riding my e-run e14  (14'', 175 Wh) and hope for the best.

I've found on their website this: :)eushop guarantee.jpg

"

All we offer

covering manufacturer guarantee so you don’t need to worried about our after sales services,

we offer full warranty like control board warranty one Year,battery six Months.

"

Wow that is just crazy and simply bad customer service all around.  I took elctronics in high school so I know a few basics, but to expect a customer to replace a mosfet that is soldered onto the board?  Good grief do contact IPS directly to let them know about your experience.

What online EUC shop do I want to not buy from?  Also I thought IPS was supposed to be a pretty good brand in general.  This puts them in a bad light if they break so easily.  Playing devil's advocate though - it can be hard to tell what a customer has been doing to a wheel (eg. Repeated emergency braking and hard accelerations, driving through puddles of water, jumping down stairs, charging them with high current chargers not appropriate for their batteries), but manufacturers must make these wheels rated for harsh duty and over-engineer them for the worst if they want a good rep.

I drop my iPhone all the time.  If it broke in a month I would be questioning its long term durability.  For something that I rely on to keep me balanced while traveling at speed, it better be pretty bulletproof or at least honor their warranty claims.

It can't be stressed enough that ipselecticunicycle.com is not the IPS company, but just a reseller trying to impersonate the company. After seeing some of their profanity laced "customer service" replies on the forum I would never buy from them. They are frauds! Or if it's just a one man operation, Tony is a fraud. Beware. 

UPDATE: IPS factory (now the real factory iamips.com) replied to my mail:

" Hello, Stefan Blendinger
I'm sorry to hear below that your issue was not properly handled by our reseller, now you come to official IPS company and also we sell it to international buyers.
We have to be clear with you that we can help solve your issue but we're not responsible for it because it is not directly sold by us, people who sold it should be responsible for it. So to get this issue solved, we can sell to you a control board, you can install it yourself, we can send you video and description how to take apart the unicycle and how to install it, but if you find it hard to handle, we can recommend a fix center in Germany who can fix issues for such items.
So let us know your option, thanks for understanding.

Best regards"

Sounds good! :)

I answered him that I would like to get an exchange control board. Let's see...

That is not a good answer from paypal they should have at least mediated since the unit is only one month old. We should post a warning to others not to buy from this vendor and make it a sticky.

That's the vendor I will never buy anything from::angry:

Email: sales@shopelectricunicycle.com
     Web: shopelectricunicycle.com

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Shoe73 said:

It can't be stressed enough that ipselecticunicycle.com is not the IPS company, but just a reseller trying to impersonate the company.  They are frauds! Or if it's just a one man operation, Tony is a fraud. Beware. 

Same here, he tried to make me think he was an IPS representative

10 hours ago, Niobium said:

That's the vendor I will never buy anything from::angry:

Email: sales@shopelectricunicycle.com
     Web: shopelectricunicycle.com

I think this vendor is coming from China. Buyers should beware.

23 hours ago, Niobium said:

I've received Paypals decision on the case: as it the EUC was OK when I received it, they can't do anything... the guarantee is whith the vendor. Damn.

If pay pal is tied to your visa or bank account you still have protection through them and my experience has been the paypal will honor what your bank decides. Just file a claim though your bank.

Archived