eWheels 16hr Endurance Challenge

Let's make a new tread - Against Endurance Challenge. :D 

Where we can talk about how this is (not so good) idea and challenge should be canceled altogether.. :D 

As people have said: weak spaghetti legs may lead to crashes and injuries. :D 

Some may get sleepy over the 16hrs riding like the sleepy Joe Biden. :D 

And having no challenge at all, makes it even better - as we will not have a winner and we all will be happy. :D 

:D 

Spoiler

:D 

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't have asked for its purpose if the challenge were for 6 hours. Even in professional endurance motor races, usually either the driver changes frequently or the daily race time is far below 16 hours for the winning contenders who actually race, AFAIK.

Edited by Mono

48 minutes ago, Seba said:

For June 21, I planned a one-day tour of 309 km on a factory, unmodified 18XL. I will charge my wheel at 10 Amps and will be riding 100 % standing, with a small backpack. If only weather will not be too adverse, I should be able to finish this trip in about sixteen hours.

Makes sense in my computations too :thumbup:

I’ve planned a 370 km road trip that in theory could be done in 16 hours with 14A charger and riding seated. But I’m not sure if it’s fun anymore. After 100 km I usually start feeling like I’ve had enough for the day. Could go longer but don’t mind stopping. 

Edited by UniVehje

1 hour ago, Seba said:

For June 21, I planned a one-day tour of 309 km on a factory, unmodified 18XL. I will charge my wheel at 10 Amps and will be riding 100 % standing, with a small backpack. If only weather will not be too adverse, I should be able to finish this trip in about sixteen hours.

I have to ask:  How do you charge an unmodified 18XL at 10 Amps?  I thought that the charging current goes through the mainboard and was limited to 5 Amps.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mono said:

Makes sense in my computations too :thumbup:

Here's one of my last year tours - a 217 km segment from a multi-day trip across Poland. It was completed in 11 hours, including all stops and charging (charging took 2 h 50 min). This was a purely tourist trip, with no pressure on time and no planning of charging stops. These I searched for on the spot, which took a little time. If it had been a challenge, I would have prepared for it accordingly, and I would have easily been able to finish this tour in less than ten hours. However, even taking the average of this route (and therefore 19.5 km/h), I would have completed 312 kilometers after sixteen hours.

In the case of the June 300km+ tour, however, I have to take into account that the last few dozen kilometers are mountainous terrain, with a lot of steep climbs. On the entire route, the sum of ascents is about 3600 meters, and the sum of descents is 2700 meters.

12 minutes ago, Dan Cobar said:

I have to ask:  How do you charge an unmodified 18XL at 10 Amps?  I thought that the charging current goes through the mainboard and was limited to 5 Amps.

18XL will start to beep periodically (and also will show red LEDs on the side strips) when the charging current is above 5-6 Amps, but it won't limit charging current. I have verified with thermal imaging camera that no parts on the mainboard and also on the BMS get thermally overstressed. Well, when I mentioned that my wheel is unmodified, I forgot to say that I've installed a buzzer cutoff switch :D However, this is not a modification that gives any advantage in terms of wheel performance. At most, it provides peace and quiet, for example when charging or connecting EUC World in a quiet restaurant :thumbup:

As 18XL has 6P battery, 10 A is a current that is within cell specification (10 A / 6 = 1,66 A which is below 1,7 A of nominal charging current specified for Samsung 35E cell and well below 2 A of maximal charging current).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

can a wheel be charged while riding it?

Depends on wheel model. For example, 18XL can be charged during ride, but you have to first turn the wheel on then connect charger. When you connect charger first and then turn the wheel on, motor won't engage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I model the maximum riding distance, optimal riding speed, and relative riding time as a function of the charge rate I get this. There is quite a bit of uncertainty on the fidelity of the energy consumption. I assumed that seated crouched has three times less air resistance than standing. The surprising result though is that the optimal riding time doesn't vary hugely and never gets above 65%. It looks like +600km are doable.

maximal-distance.thumb.png.5cea420d9325564b24b77b35500a97c0.png

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i was thinking a lead pick up truck on the interstate with a generator or powerstaion in the back.

98F1CBA0-324C-4926-92B1-2290D70E9F31.jpeg.0b22e50176d7415bf57619c56a61b0ea.jpeg

Nice one, I suspect it might violate the rule that "during the riding sections - you must not have external help such as towing, drafting, use of a vehicle/device other than the EUC that you're riding" and also the intention of the challenge.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mono said:

Nice one, I suspect it might violate the rule that "during the riding sections - you must not have external help such as towing, drafting, use of a vehicle/device other than the EUC that you're riding" and also the intention of the challenge.

Doh he can put a generator on his back and ride that way.. :D Also add 2 big jerrycans, one per side of his leg to get extra charging..

Or if the generator is big enough. And can charge the wheel for 16hrs non-stop. He doesn't need the jerrycans.

Highly recommend the electric generators. As they should be lighter?

It's his mobile charger.. I see no problems there. :D 

@novazeus :efee8319ab:

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Seba said:

18XL will start to beep periodically (and also will show red LEDs on the side strips) when the charging current is above 5-6 Amps, but it won't limit charging current. I have verified with thermal imaging camera that no parts on the mainboard and also on the BMS get thermally overstressed. Well, when I mentioned that my wheel is unmodified, I forgot to say that I've installed a buzzer cutoff switch :D However, this is not a modification that gives any advantage in terms of wheel performance. At most, it provides peace and quiet, for example when charging or connecting EUC World in a quiet restaurant :thumbup:

As 18XL has 6P battery, 10 A is a current that is within cell specification (10 A / 6 = 1,66 A which is below 1,7 A of nominal charging current specified for Samsung 35E cell and well below 2 A of maximal charging current).

Thanks for the reply.  I always knew that the batteries can take more than 5A, but I didn't know that you could safely put more current through the mainboard.

And that's a brilliant idea to install a beeper/buzzer cut off switch.  I would want to have some way of being sure that I couldn't forget and leave it off.

Perhaps a reed switch with magnet on a pedal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Cobar said:

And that's a brilliant idea to install a beeper/buzzer cut off switch.  I would want to have some way of being sure that I couldn't forget and leave it off.

As I always ride with BT intercom or bone conduction headphones, I rely on EUC World alarms and announcements. So I keep buzzer off all the time, but this is my personal preference.

1 hour ago, Dan Cobar said:

Perhaps a reed switch with magnet on a pedal.

And this is the brilliant idea! Simple and reliable solution, especially for anyone who still wants to get alarms directly from the wheel.

• Like 1

Fuck challenges, bullshit competition, absolutely no reason for child play...a guy just died most likely because he was doing something stupid like speeding on a bike/pedestrian path...and of course no lessons will be learned... 16 hours at 25 mph will get anyone 400 miles if you never have to charge and for what purposes does that serve??? 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 4:40 AM, Sam Clegg said:

But the v13 is limited to 14 amps charge rate.   A lot of wheels can charge faster than that such as the lynx (18amps) or any modded begode wheel

You can charge Begodes while riding. So just take a long extension cord and ride in circles for an hour. B)

8 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

You can charge Begodes while riding. So just take a long extension cord and ride in circles for an hour. B)

I suspect that goes against the rule that "during the riding sections - you must not have external help".

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

haha, nobody has mentioned solar, because they know like me solar is crap!

just needs to be developed more. It's like comparing a lynx to a ninebot EUC from 3 years ago. Same thing basically but two different levels of capability.