eWheels 16hr Endurance Challenge

Planning is key.

you might want to ride a long uphill route, like @Marty Backe does, regen on the downhill. A quick top-off at the bottom of the hill, and repeat. You might want two chargers waiting for you. 

I noticed I get ~40% regen when I ride downhill without pushing the speed too high. 

I’d also try to keep weight and aerodynamics as low as feasible. Seated riding, just some snacks and water in a small pack.

Lycra speed suits? No. Wiggling out of a suit to pee will kill time in the saddle.

i could do this.

back when i worked for diebold, i might move a bank over the weekend. like one time i went to work friday morning and didn't sleep until sunday night. very hard on ur body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

they know like me solar is crap!

IMO solar isn't "crap" it's just not practical for an event like this the array would need to be the size of a bus.

I thought you already ordered 4 more v13 batteries and were in the process of setting up your cart...:D

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Planning is key.

you might want to ride a long uphill route, like @Marty Backe does, regen on the downhill. A quick top-off at the bottom of the hill, and repeat. You might want two chargers waiting for you. 

laws of physics demands that this will not work  You use more energy riding up hill than the amount of energy you regain riding downhill.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Robse said:

laws of physics demands that this will not work  You use more energy riding up hill than the amount of energy you regain riding downhill.

1. Ride uphill until tilt back 

2. Ride downhill on regen. You should have 30-40% at base camp

3. recharge from 30% to full. 

4. repeat until time runs out.

you could do a flat run out and back, but you would have to keep a closer eye on your energy, the “walk of shame”would be a huge waste of time.

going uphill uses more energy, and you cannot go as fast,you can make up for that downhill, but you use more energy if you go too fast, even downhill.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Planning is key.

I noticed I get ~40% regen when I ride downhill without pushing the speed too high. 

I’d also try to keep weight and aerodynamics as low as feasible. Seated riding, just some snacks and water in a small pack.

Lycra speed suits? No. Wiggling out of a suit to pee will kill time in the saddle.

What you actually do is find a tall mountain with a nice downhill road on it and start at the peak. A 5km high mountain down to sea level is worth 1.6kWh for a 120kg rider/EUC combo. It would save you approx. 30-60m of charging depending on your charger :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Panzer04 said:

What you actually do is find a tall mountain with a nice downhill road on it and start at the peak. A 5km high mountain down to sea level is worth 1.6kWh for a 120kg rider/EUC combo. It would save you approx. 30-60m of charging depending on your charger :)

You can not start a ride with a fully charged battery and go downhill.  The power your wheel regenerates has nowhere to go.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GothamMike said:

you could do a flat run out and back, but you would have to keep a closer eye on your energy, the “walk of shame”would be a huge waste of time.

going uphill uses more energy, and you cannot go as fast,you can make up for that downhill, but you use more energy if you go too fast, even downhill.

This makes no sense.  Regardless of what you do, you consume more energy per distance by consuming energy to propel you forward, than the energy you can get back in the same distance by letting the wheel act as a dynamo.  Firstly, there is an energy loss during propulsion in the form of mechanical resistance, bearings, tires against the road, wind.  Secondly, energy is lost during conversion from electricity to movement in the form of thermal loss in electronics and battery (heat generation).  The same applies when you let the wheel act as a dynamo during descent.   I don't know the exact number, but I would guess that you already lose 15% during propulsion and a corresponding 15% when charging.  When you also want to ride uphill, which causes even more development of heat due to the greater need for power, and more friction between tire and road, you lose more power than you can gain.   It is best to ride straight ahead on a completely horizontal road, and of course the very best with a tailwind, or at least just a calm wind. Here, it is also important to find the speed that gives the best efficiency in terms of energy consumed per distance in relation to speed and associated wind resistance, and wind resistance is not linear in relation to speed, it becomes greater and greater as speed increases.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Robse said:

This makes no sense. 

Just watch some of @Marty Backe's videos.

He has plenty of experience taking euc tours in the mountains.

And he has demonstrated that the long downhill runs do indeed extent his range in non-trivial ways.

56 minutes ago, Robse said:

You can not start a ride with a fully charged battery and go downhill.  The power your wheel regenerates has nowhere to go.

Even better. Quicker turn around. Just don't fully recharge.

28 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Even better. Quicker turn around. Just don't fully recharge.

ok, the smart one thus travels to Peru, the longest uninterrupted road descent in the world is is 117 km (72 miles) long and it is in Peru between Conococha and Paramonga. The starting point is at 4095 m (13440 ft) of altitude, the end at 16 m (52 ft). and then you start with an almost flat battery, and then first have to charge after 117 km + the distance you can continue with the fully charged battery when you reach the foot of the "hill".  Hopefully there is some roads from there that runs horizontally.

Annotation 2024-02-28 095232.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

just needs to be developed more. It's like comparing a lynx to a ninebot EUC from 3 years ago. Same thing basically but two different levels of capability.

There may well be physical limitations making this entirely unsustainable, namely because solar needs a lot of space and space creates air drag.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GothamMike said:

In 16 hours you get tons of charging breaks to wiggle, riding time is probably less than 70%.

10 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Just wondering, is this your serious proposition to get the maximal average speed?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mono said:

In 16 hours you get tons of charging breaks to wiggle, riding time is probably less than 70%.

Just wondering, is this your serious proposition to get the maximal average speed?

Charging is going to be your biggest time killer. I'm not a physicist, but I could imagine regen-ing on a long downhill will reduce your time to recharge.  You can also do this without a sag wagon. 

That road in Peru is intriguing.

9 hours ago, Robse said:

ok, the smart one thus travels to Peru, the longest uninterrupted road descent in the world is is 117 km (72 miles) long and it is in Peru between Conococha and Paramonga. The starting point is at 4095 m (13440 ft) of altitude, the end at 16 m (52 ft). and then you start with an almost flat battery, and then first have to charge after 117 km + the distanc

The Sichauan—Tibet Highway G318 route would be a contender, but the elevation profile would only be suitable for a fraction of the route.  

altitude-chart-southern-sichuan-tibet-hwy.jpg.2e2bec82a4e632aa3fea575fb72b17a4.jpg

TibetHighway.jpg.5f9ed4da094fddc3a319cb4946bdef94.jpg

On 2/24/2024 at 9:23 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Wheel modifications are allowed. However, during the riding sections - you must not have external help such as towing, drafting, use of a vehicle/device other than the EUC that you're riding. No limits on terrain, environment, or location, open to the entire World.

Can this be interpreted as that while the wheel is not being ridden (no rider is on the euc, and the wheel of the euc is not rotating), can the euc be charged inside a moving vehicle?

Edited by techyiam
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Can this be interpreted as that while the wheel is not being ridden (no rider is on the euc, and the wheel of the euc is not rotating), can the euc be charged inside a moving vehicle?

you mean one that drives to the top of the hill :clap3: