The Photo Thread

SlowMo

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I love this picture :thumbup:

Not as much as @Stan Onymous and his Mten3 though...Based on their identical grins and googly eyes! 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

With coastal New England temperatures soaring to the mid fifties and with two days of rain, the huge snowfall received a week before is gone except for residual snow piles. With temps in the thirties I took a leisurely ride to Boston which was a clear path except for several walk around spots. A younger fellow near the town of Charlestown looked at me as I rode and shouted ....'why'....? 

The 4:30 pm train back to the town where I started from costs $7.50 and was warm and about half full.

75724.jpg

This morning the temperature is 11 F.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 2

On 12/31/2017 at 3:29 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

really slow speed. Back up to normal again. Monster laid down(on it's side) on a little snow hill when it was too much......timber....

Several weeks ago, when I rode my Monster into a solid snow obstacle, landing on my hands and knees ? as the Monster refused to go over it slowly, the frozen snow was about twice the height of today's snow obstacle , seen on the opposite side of the street in this picture. 

75821.jpg

Today I walked the EUC across the street walk lane and over the snow obstacle. All was well at 22 degrees F when I climbed onto Monster on the opposite side of the frozen snow mound.☺

75822.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I rode my Monster into a solid snow obstacle, landing on my hands and knees ? as the Monster refused to go over it

I think unicycles are inherently ill suited for sand and snow. AWD (All Wheel Drive) traction is meaningless when you have but one-wheel...

There's been a lot of talk on the 'Dream Unicycle' thread lately about dealing with loss of traction; (tracked uni-wuh?). Maybe the Ninebot Z series is the right answer for some with that 'extra-grippy' fat tire. I'm sure it will affect ride, but maybe there's a bigger market for off-road unicycles than we thought.

recycling-bicycles-designs-artworks-10.jpg.7ed3bf4ca2b67050250c02139ec08275.jpg

... or maybe we just need to add ski's. (I still count only one wheel.) ;)

:whistling:

There's also this, (sorta unrelated but amusing...) :P

Edited by RayRay
added funny link
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BTW....I went on through the Back Bay (very expensive & near the BPL) area of Boston where, several hours after I left by train , two people were shot (one died).

I guess I could go on to 'make up' a big story......I read that the multi billion dollar satellite launched from Florida by SpaceX didn't make it into orbit although SpaceX says the rocket behaved as expected. Since the payload was top secret they had no further comment. So.....when Hawaii gets a false ballistic missile alert one might ask..... was it really the payload from the SpaceX launch falling out of orbit into the Pacific on a trajectory over Hawaii..?????

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RayRay said:

I rode my Monster into a solid snow obstacle, landing on my hands and knees ?

All things considered....things could be a lot worse than riding the Monster into a snow bank. The following reports put me into the 'powder puff' class of inconvenience and bravado.

76238.png

(Jet landing incident in Turkey....during rain....right engine surge according to some news sources.......)

Or living in Russia...being a parachuting thrill seeker jumping from a building with a chute...

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-daredevil-survives-jump-from-apartment-building-with-unfolded-parachute-60169

Wow, that is a very telling comparison to the removal of our own Royal rulers during our revolution. Check out Mercy Otis Warren's trilogy account of our country during that period. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Otis_Warren  It is amazing use of language. Almost symphonic.

She is from near your neck of the woods somewhere in that elbow in the Atlantic.

5 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

during our revolution

Of course next door neighbor Marblehead is the on-display home of the painting 'Spirit of 76', painted in 1775.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Willard

My older cousin lives in NY state and did a long Geneology of my mother's side of the family. His Geneology assertions go back to about 1520 somewhere in the UK. I took a look at his and other supporting documents and drew a line of 100% confidence starting in Southern Vermont with the parents (1794) of 'Stephen Tucker (1794-1882)'

76323.jpg

He walked a long way to Jackson, PA in 1814 as described in the book written by 'Clarissa Tucker Tracy', one of his 10 children.

76325.png

https://www.amazon.com/Poems-Clarissa-Tucker-Classic-Reprint/dp/1528375688#immersive-view_1516039358191

Evander's seventh kid was 'Evander' , born in 1828. Here is a picture of Evander with his son (3rd child) Gilmore's horse

76326.jpg

Judging from the geographic location (Jackson, PA), his beard and hat I'd guess the Tucker's of that time were tight farming friends of the Amish or Menonite farmers in that area north of the Mason Dixon Line.

He registered for military service in 1863 (second entry) during the civil war:

76401.jpg

In 1882 my mother's father was born in Buffalo , NY. The Tucker family (on my mother's side) has lived in NY state since several years after my mothers  grandfather was killed while working for the railroad, while censused to be in Buffalo with few details about the railroad incident. My mother's father(with middle name Evander), the son of the railroad death employee, set up a corner store in Binghamton, NY when he was older.

I came to Massachusetts in 1969.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

The weather looks nice there, nice scenery too.  Well maintained trail.  

It's a part of the Rimutaka Cycle Trail, which starts alongside the Hutt river (left of the boulder). 

When I took this it was 21°C (70°F) but there was a very strong headwind which halved my range. :(

• Like 1

On 20 January 2018 at 2:35 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

When I took this it was 21°C (70°F) but there was a very strong headwind which halved my range. :(

What! So you never went home again, just rode in one direction whistling a popular Bob Segar song? :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I love Bob Seger and that song! Bob’s first band in the 60s was called The Bob Seger System. They played a lot of small venues- 300 to 400 people max. When they played in Toledo in a small club called The Warehouse my rock band was invited to perform the opening act. The event organizer had heard us practicing in a basement next door to the club one night. Our repertoire consisted of 3 mediocre songs. The basement acoustics were so bad we must have sounded pretty good outside to be invited. End of story: We all chickened out. :facepalm:

I still remember the classic 90 Degree angled drums mounted on pedestals. 

38916628005_9233bce432_b.jpg

Is this picture of your band? Which one is you? You can't possibly be old enough to have been in a band in the 60's :confused1:

• Like 1