The Photo Thread

SlowMo

37 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Gorgeous view into the mountains from up there. Somehow the colors were extra nice today.

7.jpg

Moon over the bike path along the river. The thing my ACM shines on is a pumpkin I picked up from a field along the way (there are pay boxes). The lower right light is the moon's reflection on the water.

If I ever come to Germany somehow I'm going to get you to take me on this ride. Beautiful :cheers:

And we'll take a trip into those mountains in the distance :dribble:

• Upvote 1

@meepmeepmayer, beautiful Country, when I visited Germany I passed through the Black Forest in Baden württemberg,  Freiberg. So much quality & character. It is good that no one bothers you about your wheel, they just let you be ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If I ever come to Germany somehow I'm going to get you to take me on this ride. Beautiful :cheers:

And we'll take a trip into those mountains in the distance :dribble:

Won't need any convincing at all. Just another wheel, because I only have one. Or two more wheels for these mountains, can't take my old-cabling ACM up there too well. TO-247 mosfet wheels on the other hand...

And it is a great ride, though no special route, just circling around. What you see is the picture is the Inn river valley exiting the Alps (and the decorative ranges along the valley). Because the river used to be an ice age glacier, it pushed up some moraines in some distance from the mountains with my home city in a basin (used to be a lake after the ice age) at the mouth of the valley. So there are these elevated viewing spots in basically all directions:efee47c9c8:

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 5:59 AM, Bob Eisenman said:

10,000 + miles and counting

:thumbup: You must be nearing 10000km on the Monster. Did you know that Eisenmann translates to iron man in German?:efee8319ab: You've got more range accumulated on your much newer Monster than I have on my ACM, so that often motivates me to get out and ride.

Nice photo. Your piece of coast is quite spectacular, but I wonder how well accessible and developed the bike paths and other EUC-suitable side routes are in the area. Hoping you don't have to use the main (car) highway too often.

Do you have a new drone that can make these 360 photos? I recall you said (in the latest Marty+Duf stream chat) your trusty Yuneec fell into the sea.

@meepmeepmayer

On 9/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

You must be nearing 10000km on the Monster

More like 8k km

main (car) highway 

Most motorists on the less heavily used roads are fairly accommodating.

wonder how well accessible and developed the bike paths and other EUC-suitable side routes are in the area

In this state (Massachusetts) and other states the conversion of old unused railroad beds to resurfaced bike trail is a big deal ongoing. In the case of the 'Border to Boston's trail which when finished connects bikers by trail from Boston to Newburyport

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bikenewengland.com/2016/04/20/border-to-boston-trail/amp/

The use of the existing unused MBTA (Mass. Bay Transit Authority) owned (still by lease agreement) has some issues with motorized vehicles of any sort. An email response to an authority figure reads 

"Motorized vehicles of any type are not allowed on the trail. This is both to meet MBTA regulations (part the MBTA lease agreement for using their rail bed) and safety reasons on a narrow shared-use path."

Did you know that Eisenmann translates to iron man in German?

Ja...Na sicher..

new drone

On the Yuneec pilots forum one pilot uses his in journey mode to take his fishing line out over 100 feet from shore, drop the line and bait and return.

Yeah...I bought a DJI Spark (+crash insurance). The latest firmware update to the 'DJU Go 4' app has an in flight 360 sphere creation function. After taking 46 pictures from a position in the air the app's playback tells the drone to stitch them together into a sphere and download. Windy days seem to create more mismatched areas in spheres when stitched. Probably the physically larger DJI drones with three axis camera gimbale take better spheres (when windy) than the smaller two axis camera gimbal Spark.

The 'tiny planet' I posted with the lighthouse sticking up above is a computer manipulation of a sphere stitch using Microsoft's image composite editor.

https://youtu.be/EWQAMTMpKCs

A 'real sphere' is this one.

Pickman sphere

It's really cool to view with VR goggles and fun to pan in Sphere phone apps like 'VR Media Player'.

Your piece of coast is quite spectacular

Surf comes with windy weather and the local geology is rocky with intrusions that often have weathered and washed away. Extensive sand like Cape Cod is read to be glacial outwash.  There are places like Rockport (Dogtown) which have extensive strewn loose and large rock/boulder areas....left atop the land after their source inclusion in glaciers melted away.

The cold war and wwii structures on/ near the now Northeastern University's oceanographic studies center sit on some spectacular oceanside real estate.

Nahant

The WWII observation tower(left) + old Nike missle bunker site (right) once guarded Boston harbor

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@meepmeepmayer

This is my grandmother's cemetery. I remember the funeral.... (Sort of but not in the adult viewing sense). John her husband died of bladder cancer before I was born and was a Marine (stateside - rank private on Parris island) in wwi.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58113162/catherine-b.-eisenmann

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Sort of off topic other than I rode my Monster along the road below (seen in the photo sphere ) and am standing there somewhere along the road directly below (280 ish feet) in a hard to see place

but if you download and view the odd looking picture posted here and view with a sphere viewing app:

Android: VR Media Player (from Google Play Store)

Windows: FSP viewer

http://www.fsoft.it/FSPViewer/

you'll see an interesting coastline. I tend to ride along the coast in areas where property owners craft the coastline to their own design. Other than the road I have no connection with the local area.

Photo sphere's are easy for the Spark drone to create …… new tech....not much skill required...full of things to look at.....really a wow with VR goggles if you have a set...… otherwise app view or software view suffices.

Photo Sphere from near White Beach, Manchester by the Sea

I took a scuba diving course (1990s) in the water along the beach below (and left of) the jet streak in the sky. The wreck of the USS New Hampshire....not much left but timbers and nails ..... seen on a wreck diver course....  42°34'18"N   70°44'41"W is on the bigger island off the beach and to the south (right).

http://wikimapia.org/1887248/Graves-Island-and-wreck-of-USS-New-Hampshire

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Photo spheres are easy for the Spark drone to create

But this Instagram post really captures something closer to weight bearing flight. Helmets for everyone....maybe earplugs too.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1