The Photo Thread

SlowMo

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow! Is that usual for early September? Doesn't seem that you're that far north.

Yes, real winter won't start for quite a while yet. This is just mother nature telling wheel folk to get cracking on those cold weather mods we'll be needing in December.:ph34r:

• Like 1

@Rehab1 it seems you and @Marty Backe no longer ride the Mten3. I wonder if it is still functioning well or have you encountered any problems with it? I guess you love the quality feel of the Z10, hence why it gets used more often?

Edited by Edddeus
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

@Rehab1 it seems you and @Marty Backe no longer ride the Mten3. I wonder if it is still functioning well or have you encountered any problems with it? I guess you love the quality feel of the Z10, hence why it gets used more often?

I still love the Mten3 and would never part with the little gem but unfortunately lack of time prevents me from enjoying it and the other wheels on a regular basis. 

I did hop on it the other day just to make sure I could still balance. Such a weird transition.  I thought about painting another ‘masterpiece’ ;) but the clean up is terrible. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Edddeus said:

I can't speak for @Rehab1, but my Mten3 still gets some love. I shoot a video for very few of my rides, and I may have saturated the market with Mten3 videos :unsure:

However, due to the extreme fun of low-speed Z10 handling, I do find myself grabbing the Z10 whereas before I would have taken the Mten3. So my little buddy is suffering some :efee565ab0:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

However, due to the extreme fun of low-speed Z10 handling, I do find myself grabbing the Z10

Hey Marty, isn't it interesting how there are so many different observations, reviews, and opinions on this wheel??? Speedy Feet has the exact OPPOSITE opinion low speed handling after just under 100 miles... I like the challenge of learning something different, and Chris made a comment a while back along the lines of Why would you want different manufacturers producing different wheels that felt and rode the same???? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey Marty, isn't it interesting how there are so many different observations, reviews, and opinions on this wheel??? Speedy Feet has the exact OPPOSITE opinion low speed handling after just under 100 miles... I like the challenge of learning something different, and Chris made a comment a while back along the lines of Why would you want different manufacturers producing different wheels that felt and rode the same???? 

There sure are a lot of opinions on the Z10. Ian's comments about the poor quality of riding slow on the Z10 really threw me for a loop. Don't really know what to say.

I feel a little validated in the I'm not the only one who says it's a great slow-speed handling wheel.

Having a variety of wheels like I do is great fun. It's can be over a month sometimes before I'll get to a specific wheel, and then it feels very fresh and exciting - like I just got a new wheel.

I highly recommend wheel collecting :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I highly recommend wheel collecting :thumbup:

I AGREE.... I really feel like I have all the GREAT wheels and short of getting a Mten3, there are currently no wheels out there I really desire to add to my collection... If I could only have 3 wheels, they would be MSX, Tesla, Z10... If 5 was the number, I would add MCM5 and ACMv2... I really never got comfortable with turning big wheels especially my 18S... now that I am working on the technique for theZ10 , my MSX feels more like my 16S and that is just perfect... did 20 miles on it today, 8 at night with my headlamp blazing:D

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I AGREE.... I really feel like I have all the GREAT wheels and short of getting a Mten3, there are currently no wheels out there I really desire to add to my collection... If I could only have 3 wheels, they would be MSX, Tesla, Z10... If 5 was the number, I would add MCM5 and ACMv2... I really never got comfortable with turning big wheels especially my 18S... now that I am working on the technique for theZ10 , my MSX feels more like my 16S and that is just perfect... did 20 miles on it today, 8 at night with my headlamp blazing:D

Imagine a Z10 but half the weight. That's the Mten3. And slow-speed and high-speed turns uses the same body motions between the two wheels.

You have a nice collection though with just about no cross-over so they all feel very unique :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

Tire pressure seems to affect the low speed handling of the Z10 a LOT. The first time I rode the Z10, it was when Marty let a few of us try the pre-production unit before a group ride. It was very hard to turn then, and it felt like I really had to force the wheel to turn. It felt off, like it was forcing you to stay upright. The next time I rode it, @Marty Backe had adjusted the pressure (I can’t remember what he did, maybe he can help me out here) but it was MUCH easier to turn, especially at low speeds. It felt like a different wheel, and it was a lot more fun to ride IMO. 

So, varying reports may come from people using different tire pressures, which will result in a pretty different ride. That’s my theory, at least. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Tire pressure seems to affect the low speed handling of the Z10 a LOT. The first time I rode the Z10, it was when Marty let a few of us try the pre-production unit before a group ride. It was very hard to turn then, and it felt like I really had to force the wheel to turn. It felt off, like it was forcing you to stay upright. The next time I rode it, @Marty Backe had adjusted the pressure (I can’t remember what he did, maybe he can help me out here) but it was MUCH easier to turn, especially at low speeds. It felt like a different wheel, and it was a lot more fun to ride IMO. 

So, varying reports may come from people using different tire pressures, which will result in a pretty different ride. That’s my theory, at least. 

When you first rode the wheel the pressure was in the low 20's and as you note, the riding characteristics was not great. I've since learned from testing that ~30-psi works best for me (and others). In general, between 25 and 30.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

After a nearly 7 week break from riding (:shock2: didn't realize it was that long already!) it was time again. Some pics. 

How on earth did you go that long without riding? My wife would give you a :thumbup: up.

Eh... too crazy hot weather forever, then too cold and rainy, then ok but not much else, then I thought it was time to get a helmet before riding again with all the injury threads, then that meant I would actually have to get a helmet, then I finally got one, and another almost 2 weeks later... I had to take advantage of the last nice weather day here:efee612b4b:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

then I thought it was time to get a helmet before riding again with all the injury threads, then that meant I would actually have to get a helmet,

I was under the impression you rode with a helmet. Never to late for safety. Good move on your part.