The Photo Thread

SlowMo

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Today it was up to above +10°C - as opposed to below -10°C. And even sunny. Riding weather! (Well, a short ride before/into sunset, when it gets cold fast.)

ACM with its red snow tire at a frozen lake, mountains in the distance.

Ice.

It's not California weather, but it's something:efee47c9c8:

Nice pictures, if not very cold looking :cry2:

BTW, as I prepare to remake my old ACM, I want to replace the tire to make this ACM more of a mountain trail machine. I kind of like the looks of that red tire. That's not really a snow tire is it? More like a dirt-bike type tire? You've probably discussed this in another thread, but where did you source your tire? Is it a Kenda? Etc, etc, etc...

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, as I prepare to remake my old ACM, I want to replace the tire to make this ACM more of a mountain trail machine. I kind of like the looks of that red tire. That's not really a snow tire is it? More like a dirt-bike type tire? You've probably discussed this in another thread, but where did you source your tire? Is it a Kenda? Etc, etc, etc...

• Bought here: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(red)-c__295
    They call it a winter/offroad tire. Not sure what the manufacturer officially says about it.
    You can get a blue one if you want to mod your ACM2 instead (and of course, theres always black): https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(blue)-c__294
  • It's really loud on pavement, and louder than the normal one offroads (loud on any firm ground, fine on gravel etc).
  • Not sure how this affects your range (could only ride it today for the second time) but it doesn't seem to reduce it notably for me - 55km extrapolated from today, which is pretty much exactly what I get with the standard tire at these temperatures.
  • For offroad (aka your Cali dirt trails) I'm not sure it's actually a better option. It may offer a bit more traction, but that's not really what you need, is it?
    On the other hand, the default tire is ~5mm thick rubber everywhere except the tiny grooves of the profile), while this tire is thin rubber/mesh everywhere but the nubs (not sure what the word is) that are thick.

No idea if this a real problem, but I can see a sticky stone puncturing this tire much more easily than puncturing the default thick rubber.
  • I haven't tried it, but what I think this tire is really better for is keeping traction on ice/snow/mud/wet surfaces. Maybe it makes a difference on dry stuff (sand), too, I don't know.
  • So if you keep losing traction on sand, try it. Otherwise, not sure if it has many benefits for you.
  • On the other hand, just try it - not expensive or hard to change:efee47c9c8: (and don't forget to make a nice video about your experience:efee8319ab:) Maybe it turns out it makes a huge difference in wheel behavior on sketchy ground, I wouldn't know (yet).

TLDR: Can't say much yet, try it yourself:efee47c9c8:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:
  • Bought here: https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(red)-c__295
    They call it a winter/offroad tire. Not sure what the manufacturer officially says about it.
    You can get a blue one if you want to mod your ACM2 instead (and of course, theres always black): https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(blue)-c__294
  • It's really loud on pavement, and louder than the normal one offroads (loud on any firm ground, fine on gravel etc).
  • Not sure how this affects your range (could only ride it today for the second time) but it doesn't seem to reduce it notably for me - 55km extrapolated from today, which is pretty much exactly what I get with the standard tire at these temperatures.
  • For offroad (aka your Cali dirt trails) I'm not sure it's actually a better option. It may offer a bit more traction, but that's not really what you need, is it?
    On the other hand, the default tire is ~5mm thick rubber everywhere except the tiny grooves of the profile), while this tire is thin rubber/mesh everywhere but the nubs (not sure what the word is) that are thick.

No idea if this a real problem, but I can see a sticky stone puncturing this tire much more easily than puncturing the default thick rubber.
  • I haven't tried it, but what I think this tire is really better for is keeping traction on ice/snow/mud/wet surfaces. Maybe it makes a difference on dry stuff (sand), too, I don't know.
  • So if you keep losing traction on sand, try it. Otherwise, not sure if it has many benefits for you.
  • On the other hand, just try it - not expensive or hard to change:efee47c9c8: (and don't forget to make a nice video about your experience:efee8319ab:) Maybe it turns out it makes a huge difference in wheel behavior on sketchy ground, I wouldn't know (yet).

TLDR: Can't say much yet, try it yourself:efee47c9c8:

Thanks. This is very useful information. I did not realize that the tire is actually thinner, which I guess makes sense. Otherwise there wouldn't be clearance between the tire and the shell.

Hmmm, much to think about now.

Good links, and it'll only cost 100 euro's to ship it to me :o

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I did not realize that the tire is actually thinner, which I guess makes sense.

I was surprised too, my first thought was "This might be more susceptible to punctures...". But that's speculation, maybe it's absolutely no problem. Get one, and try, you're in the right place:efee8319ab:

which I guess makes sense. Otherwise there wouldn't be clearance between the tire and the shell.

Makes sense indeed, didn't think of that. Maybe your true name is Smarty Backe?:efeebb3acc:

Search "Kenda 16 inch studded ebike tire" and likewise. Usually these small ones go under "ebike tire", it's not going to be a EUC specific product (is clearance a thing with small tire ebikes?).

I guess you'll find it on sale somewhere in NA. Doesn't seem to be very exotic, some certain sized tire from a brand manufacturer.

The URL makes me think C295 may be its name, but I didn't find anything when googling "Kenda c295".

Maybe @Jason McNeil wants to stock some tire options and can help. Or just mail electricunicycles.eu and ask for the official name.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. This is very useful information. I did not realize that the tire is actually thinner, which I guess makes sense. Otherwise there wouldn't be clearance between the tire and the shell.

It's not so much that the tire is thinner, but because the tread blocks are small and further apart than the standard style tires, there is more of this "thin" area exposed, between the tread blocks.  It shows well in the photos.  I personally believe that this DOES make it more susceptible to punctures.  Like @meepmeepmayer said, For snow and loose surfaces of fine grain, it would be fine.  But find that one sharp rock hidden in the sand, and there's a high chance it will find one of these exposed thin areas.

Why don't you try modding the existing tire by taking an angle grinder to it, to get a more aggressive bite.  I'm serious; monster truck outfits shave their tires all the time.  I'm thinking of doing this to my newly installed, nearly slick, 2.5" tire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

It's not so much that the tire is thinner, but because the tread blocks are small and further apart than the standard style tires, there is more of this "thin" area exposed, between the tread blocks.  It shows well in the photos.  I personally believe that this DOES make it more susceptible to punctures.  Like @meepmeepmayer said, For snow and loose surfaces of fine grain, it would be fine.  But find that one sharp rock hidden in the sand, and there's a high chance it will find one of these exposed thin areas.

Why don't you try modding the existing tire by taking an angle grinder to it, to get a more aggressive bite.  I'm serious; monster truck outfits shave their tires all the time.  I'm thinking of doing this to my newly installed, nearly slick, 2.5" tire.

Every time I take this ACM apart I wonder if I'll get it back together, considering the crappy screws which are used by Gotway. I'm not sure that I want to experiment much with swapping tires out to find just the right one. With what @meepmeepmayer has said, I'm now inclined to keeping it as-is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Every time I take this ACM apart I wonder if I'll get it back together, considering the crappy screws which are used by Gotway. I'm not sure that I want to experiment much with swapping tires out to find just the right one. With what @meepmeepmayer has said, I'm now inclined to keeping it as-is.

get some replacement good screws and give the weak parts of the shell some glass fiber.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hmmm, much to think about now.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

See... Procrastinating has it's place!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's no law against swapping out your screws for better ones, a dollar packet or two should do the trick.

EDIT. Damn it.  Didn't see @Shad0z had already made this incredibly logical and sensible suggestion.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. Once the Z One comes out I can see the other EUC manufacturers following suit and installing brass inserts in their shells for ease of screw removal and assembly. 

40632512991_26f4b1c41c_b.jpg

Original  Photo Property of Jason McNeil 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree. Once the Z One comes out I can see the other EUC manufacturers following suit and installing brass inserts in their shells for ease of screw removal and assembly. 

40632512991_26f4b1c41c_b.jpg

Original  Photo Property of Jason McNeil 

I agree. I was really excited to see brass inserts. This sees so common sense for a machine that will require maintenance. But maybe Gotway designs their wheels for zero maintenance :whistling:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. I was really excited to see brass inserts. This sees so common sense for a machine that will require maintenance. But maybe Gotway designs their wheels for zero maintenance :whistling:

Lol. Let’s hope not @Marty Backe. If so the certainty missed the mark . But I think it’s quite the opposite given the design of most of GW wheels . They are simple to get into . The brass insersts would go a long way though given how often the panels need to be removed . :laughbounce2: My ACM actually has one cracked screw hole . Probably from someone over tightening . That someone was not me this time ! 

• Like 2

hey, anybody have an easy solution for stripped plastic holes. i think someone overtighten one on my 18s and i was wondering what to use/do when i crack it open and reassemble it. ca, epoxy, bigger screw, different thread etc. got a garmin dome with a brass insert spinning, so they aren’t impervious to ham fisted mechanics.

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

hey, anybody have an easy solution for stripped plastic holes. i think someone overtighten one on my 18s and i was wondering what to use/do when i crack it open and reassemble it. ca, epoxy, bigger screw, different thread etc. got a garmin dome with a brass insert spinning, so they aren’t impervious to ham fisted mechanics.

Here’s what I did. Although it might not be the greatest idea ...but did work . 

I dropped a bit of plastic epoxy in the threaded hole that was cracked . (This one screw wouldn’t tighten down properly Bc of the crack. ) I allowed a few hours for it to dry and then just tightened the screw down into the epoxy . It works, it’s tight , you can tighten and back out the screw now with no issues . As I said , idk that this is a great idea , but it worked for me . 

Edited by Scott Henley
Ad
  • Like 3

Did a ride today. A real one, where I stopped because it ended, not because I was getting too cold! Even went without gloves and only with a hat (but no wind protection hood) for the first 30 mins! Spring might be here.

51km as per GPS

90675.png

The wheel says 57km. Battery 100% to 30% standing, but starting to get low battery beeps on inclines.

90676.png

Route (counter-clockwise).

90677.png

Some tire impressions:

• It really sounds like a swarm of angry hornets is right behind you when you're on pavement:efee612b4b: But people hear you and get out of the way, which is good.
  • It indeed feels safer on melting ice/snow, mud, etc (perfect for going through wet grass/wet earth). Not sure if that would have been an actual problem with the default tire, but I think for wet stuff it works great in giving you more grip or at least more confidence.
    Not sure if it's good for anything dry except maybe sand or coarse gravel.
  • Despite being so loud (=friction) it does not seem to affect range very much. Either not at all, or less than 5%. Not worth worrying about.
  • @Marty Backe Same advice as with battery life questions: if you start worrying, not worth it. You can always get a new ACM shell, so try the tire if you're curious.
    My shell also lost two screw threads that broke off, but it's no problem, the shell is held by the pedal brackets anyways. The scews just make the seams tighter.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Here’s what I did. Although it might not be the greatest idea ...but did work . 

I dropped a bit of plastic epoxy in the threaded hole that was cracked . (This one screw wouldn’t tighten down properly Bc of the crack. ) I allowed a few hours for it to dry and then just tightened the screw down into the epoxy . It works, it’s tight , you can tighten and back out the screw now with no issues . As I said , idk that this is a great idea , but it worked for me . 

i’ve done that to before on other plastic stuff like rc helis and it does work good. if nobody responded, that or a different screw is probably what i would do. i’m not very organized( ha ha, such an understatement) so in reality, probably what ever i could find.

i love epoxy btw, learned about it building golf clubs 50 years ago. many different varietys. my secret weapon building rc helis years ago. use to epoxy the rotor head to the mainshaft after proper prep on the cheaper helis like thunder tiger raptors. only way i could get them to stay together for these 3d pilots. 

Edited by novazeus

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

GeoTracker. Works in many languages. No longer on Play Store (Android), you have to manually install the .apk from geo-tracker.org (ignore the SSL "insecure" warning).

Direct download link to the latest version: https://geo-tracker.org/geotracker-3.3.0-armv7.apk

This is my favorite app. Very reliable. Love it.

kewl, thanks. i’ll have to give it a go. i hate kingsongs app and wheellog sometimes requires it, sometimes not, and each wheel has a different connection procedure, like start wheellog first and then kingsong on one wheel the other is reverse order. plus the ks app acts like a parasitic virus on my androids.

well it stated snowing again ._.  Then it quickly melted and turned into slush that makes it almost impossible to ride.. So now im euc less for a few days :cry2:

an euc is...

its not a toy.

neither a lifestyle.

its a requirement.

for life. 

(a little quote to improve your day) :) 

bikes are boring

cars are fast

but my euc never comes in last :clap3:

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1