Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

On 2/21/2024 at 6:29 AM, Ro.man said:

Since damper looks the same, can the spring be purchased separately?

it should. Though it would be cheaper, it would take longer.
I hope the coil is offered separately to have the choice. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Does anyone know the shock specs, i know it's 200mm or 7.875" but is it by 2" or 2.25"? Thanks in advance.

So far what I recall it is 200mm installation length with 85mm movement or compression. But from what I gather looking at MTB suspension you need a link ration to be able to calculate the coil load capacity. And that is where I am stuck for now. Potentially I would like to just swap the coil spring with another one that fits and that gives me around 30% sag of the 85mm travel.

Sorry if I explained it way too basic. But I am not much into these things so I spend some time in the rain to get my head around this. And this is why I asked @Jason McNeil as I did above here. But it didn't give the type of info and answer I hoped for. So I guess I need to ride to a physical store for MTB bikes to see what that gives of info.

Edited by Unventor
Note thank you for your answer earlier Jason. I should have been more direct in my question. So not meant as any criticism from me, except the guy I see in my mirror, myself.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

56mm/2.20" on the V14 500lb shock. Source from Fastace: 

Screenshot2024-03-01at9_39_31AM.thumb.png.ce9bce37e01949ffb0236605cb3813a9.png

Ohh yes that is great info @Jason McNeil. But are you sure that rating is true for the V14 as the linkage system might change this or have I misunderstood this?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, abclyw said:

The Wheel has total travel of 85mm.

The Shock has total travel of 56mm.

The linkage provides a travel ratio that can be linear or progressive by design that connects these two travels.

+1

Total suspension travel is 85 mm.

The shock stroke is 56 mm.

The linkage provides a variable leverage ratio curve to allow a more supple ride yet doesn't bottom-out as easily (not confirmed that the linkage has indeed a rising rate progression).

In the case of the V14, the coil spring itself is progressively wound to provide even higher non-linearity in leverage ratio variability.

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Source from Fastace

Great, thanks for the help Jason and thanks @Unventor for the attempt. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the 2.2" will be fine with a 2.25" shock as it's only a little over 1mm travel more. I'm looking at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/126125020860 any thoughts?

On 3/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Great, thanks for the help Jason and thanks @Unventor for the attempt. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the 2.2" will be fine with a 2.25" shock as it's only a little over 1mm travel more. I'm looking at this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/126125020860 any thoughts?

Yes you should be OK, assuming there is just enough slop in the system to account for the increase of 1.27mm. For reference, on my EX30 my aftermarket coil shock was 5mm longer and I struggled, the only way to get it on being to back off the coil preload totally, fit the shock then crank up the preload. I can't remove it without backing the preload right off either.

It all depends on the stock setup, it may be (for example) that the stock V14 shock is slightly shorter at full extension than the eye to eye on the linkages. If thats the case, you'll have no problem.

In either event, you'll get it on, it's just whether you can do it with the spring pre-loaded or not.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Planemo said:

the only way to get it on being to back off the coil preload totally, fit the shock then crank up the preload. I can't remove it without backing the preload right off either.

Hmm.

That could mean instead of just the shock being stressed all the time, the linkage and the rest of the suspension are being stressed all the time.

Which runs out of travel first, slider or shock?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Hmm.

That could mean instead of just the shock being stressed all the time, the linkage and the rest of the suspension are being stressed all the time.

Which runs out of travel first, slider or shock?

You got it bang on.

Yes, one or the other is going to be stressed. And it depends on what is designed to do what. On my MTB, the linkage E2E is longer than the shock E2E and it's been designed to run that way, as are most setups on MTB's. So the shocks are designed to deal with the top-out loads. On the MTB, it can't be the other way around even if I wanted it to be because theres no physical 'stop'. If you lift the bike up without a shock fitted the whole setup will extend to the point where part of the linkage will grind against the frame.

On the EX30 theres (thankfully) a stop built into the system. My shock E2E is 5mm longer than the linkage E2E, so the top-out stresses are now sent to the top-out rubber rings at the bottom of the sliders which butt up against the solidly mounted pedal hangers. Having had a good look at the design and set-up, IMO it's fine and more than enough to deal with it. I can't comment on the V14 as I have no experience but like the EX, I suspect it would be OK. But yes, a good look at what limits the max extension of the linkages would be worth doing :thumbup:

In any event, even if theres no physical stop, MTB shocks are fine for dealing with top-out loads because thats how most are designed to operate. And I would think that the V14 linkage would cope with an additional 1.27mm of extension without grinding against anything.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 9:41 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

This might help you if you are going to fiddle with the suspension or change something regarding it.

I got this from someone at Inmotion and an okey to share it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Planemo said:

But yes, a good look at what limits the max extension of the linkages would be worth doing :thumbup:

+1. This is crucial.

24 minutes ago, Planemo said:

On the MTB, it can't be the other way around even if I wanted it to be because theres no physical 'stop'.

Absolutely true. Same as my MTB"s too.

25 minutes ago, Planemo said:

On the EX30 theres (thankfully) a stop built into the system. My shock E2E is 5mm longer than the linkage E2E, so the top-out stresses are now sent to the top-out rubber rings at the bottom of the sliders which butt up against the solidly mounted pedal hangers. Having had a good look at the design and set-up, IMO it's fine and more than enough to deal with it.

Good to know. But in the back of my mind, I don't trust Begode engineering. Watch out for premature loosening, and fatigue failure over time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Good to know. But in the back of my mind, I don't trust Begode engineering. Watch out for premature loosening, and fatigue failure over time.

I don't either, but I'm 100% OK with the setup in this instance. Theres no way the pedal hangers are moving anywhere, the bottom of the slider is solid alloy and so that only leaves the rubber rings which I will replace if and when they get chewed up/squashed. In any event, the wheel rarely top outs except when static unloaded or going down kerbs as I don't do jumps!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

it's just whether you can do it with the spring pre-loaded or not.

It's an air shock :P But thanks, i definitely will measure the travel though and full extension. I also don't plan on any massive jumps but am looking forward to a good quality adjustable shock for it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

It's an air shock :P 

Of course! Totally forgot about that as I was getting too wrapped up in my coil!

Thats one of the benefits of going air, it can make it easier to fit/remove if it's slightly longer than the E2E. That said, even with no pressure in an air shock, they can take some effort to compress...it took the upper half of my body weight on my RS's and Fox's, which may be tricky to apply in the confines of an EUC... :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueCrow said:

Turn sound on.

Anyone else have this happening to them?  Not sure if it could be tweak with firmware or if it's an unavoidable by-product of power assist. I presume power assist kicks in around 3 mph. It's very noticeable when I slow down past pedestrians or make the sharpest u-turn I can. Also, especially when I trolley the V14 around.

Update: A representative from Inmotion said they are trying to remedy this in a future firmware update.

Yes, I believe everyone does, friend also contacted Inmotion about it.

Hello EUC addicts,

I'm about to order V14 50S because got a good price and decent delivery time. But still not sure if it is good idea, could you help me decide?

What i understand it has less range and lower vmax than competition (Patton, Begode Extreme), quite crucial things actually.

Torque what i've seen on reviews is comparable (some reviewers say v14 is better but some say the opposite).

So why to choose V14? For water resistance only? Why you decided to buy this particular wheel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mih said:

Why you decided to buy this particular wheel?

Build quality, most torque of any wheel, actual water proofing,standard size shock that can be changed to a quality one, i needed an off road specific wheel because i have 2 over the road ones already. Also given my past interactions with ewheels and Inmotion , i have no doubt any problems arise they will be resolved in a timely manner.

38 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Build quality, most torque of any wheel, actual water proofing,standard size shock that can be changed to a quality one, i needed an off road specific wheel because i have 2 over the road ones already. Also given my past interactions with ewheels and Inmotion , i have no doubt any problems arise they will be resolved in a timely manner.

How did you determine that?

30 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

How did you determine that?

Inmotion stated specs, numerous side by side reviews with other comparable new wheels, many reviewers opinions as well as my own opinion. None of which are fact but i will be happy to perform a test as soon as i receive mine so we can dispel any rumors and replace them with facts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Inmotion stated specs, numerous side by side reviews with other comparable new wheels, many reviewers opinions as well as my own opinion. None of which are fact but i will be happy to perform a test as soon as i receive mine so we can dispel any rumors and replace them with facts.

I mean no doubt it's strong not questioning that, my friend already has one and can confirm that, but we have the pull force test so best wait for those results before we draw conclusions how it fairs against other wheels, manufacturer specs are not a reliable source.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

numerous side by side reviews with other comparable new wheels, many reviewers opinions 

I think big factor here is inmotion marketing.

Here (28:30) is side by side v14 torque  comparision with patton and extreme and they are more less the same, for sure v14 is not the best

https://youtu.be/2rqKH8iR-S8?si=SrdSJAHuEHvkToDv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:34 PM, Ro.man said:

Michelin City Grip vs. Pirelli Angel Scooter: A Side-by-Side Comparison

image.thumb.jpeg.e098446e5d48705a4363daab80c097b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.444b1985f7e96ec069aa1c2787947ee6.jpeg

Angel Scooter is on now and I’m ready to compare it with City Grip that I had before.

I couldn’t imagine that these 2 street tires from well known brands could behave that different!

On paper they are both 90/90-12 tires with road pattern. Pirelli maintains a slightly smaller outer diameter that fits V14 without any rubbing issues. I have yet to test it with a fender; however, I've noticed that, in contrast, the Michelin tire tends to make contact with the wheel arc at higher pressures even without a fender.

Weight-wise, the Angel Scooter (2.7 kg) is slightly lighter than the City Grip (2.9 kg), yet still heavier than the standard knobby tire (2.1 kg). Some would guess that this makes the tire lighter and more nimble, but that cannot be further away from the truth.

The fundamental variance lies in the tires' profiles. Pirelli sports a smooth U-shaped contour, while Michelin features a “pointier” V-shape. This distinction drastically alters riding dynamics, especially on an EUC.

Initially, the Pirelli's neutral handling surprised me; it didn't exhibit the same pull to one side that I experienced with my previous Michelin tire. I attribute this trait to a possible defect in my specific tire rather than a general issue with this model. I’m not claiming that all Michelin City Grip tires pull to one side, I assume most of them don’t.

At lower speeds, both tires display similar agility. However, as the speed surpasses 25-30 km/h, Pirelli desire to maintain a straight path and require significantly more effort to maneuver. Turning on Pirelli feels more laborious, demanding substantial physical input to achieve direction changes. Conversely, the Michelin responds almost seamlessly to directional intentions. You just have to look towards the turn and it follows.

Carving on high speed is also a lot slower on Pirelli tire. Where on Michelin it was as quick as thinking to carve, Pirelli takes time to change direction, it is like steering a truck.

Yet, in windy conditions, Pirelli shines. While Michelin necessitated major body adjustments to combat side winds, Pirelli allowed for easy compensation with minimal shifts, proving superior for sustained high-speed travel on highways.

When it comes to bad roads, looks like Pirelli is a bit more sensitive to them. While on perfectly flat roads it is flawless, some road imperfections can throw the tire to the side or cause a wobble, however the wobbles are usually easy to put down with this tire.

Comfort-wise both tires eat small bumps quite a bit better than the stock knobby tire. However, if we compare these 2 street tires, Michelin takes the crown on comfort. Probably because it has much softer sidewalls and can deform more.

Because of those sidewalls installation ease also differed; the Michelin was easy to mount, whereas fitting the Pirelli required soap, water, and inflating to 120 psi to ensure proper seating.

In Summary, Pirelli Angel Scooter excels in straight, high-speed stability, making it an outstanding choice for long-distance highway adventures. On the other hand, Michelin City Grip offers a lighter, more agile feel, significantly enhancing the fun factor in riding, particularly in high-speed carving and cornering scenarios.

My ideal EUC street tire would embody the middle ground between these two — with a leaning preference towards the characteristics of the Michelin for its enjoyable ride experience.

It's about time for me to provide an update on my experience with the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire on my Inmotion Adventure EUC as this tire have really grown on me.

After logging over 300 kilometers on Pirelli, I've become intimately familiar with its behaviour, and I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed.

In terms of safety, this tire has exceeded my expectations, particularly when inflated to pressures below 30 psi (I weigh 95kg with gear). Gone are the days of wobbling or sudden directional shifts that plagued my initial rides when I inflated it to 36 psi.

Navigating turns with this tire is a breeze; however, during fast and sharp turns, I've noticed the need to lean a bit more to initiate direction changes. While this took some getting used to initially, it's now became my second nature and feels just right. It's incredible how effortlessly I can now ride in traffic near the beeps, execute precise turns, and brake when necessary.

Confidence is key when riding, and I've never felt more assured on my wheel than I do with this tire. I've taken it off-road, tackling rocky uphills, gravel paths, and even dusty, moon-like terrains without a hitch. Simply put, this tire excels in dry conditions across various surfaces.

In my opinion, it's the ultimate EUC street tire, and I'm looking forward to many more miles of smooth rides ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1