Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Accentuated EUC drama for views and clicks, it's just the youtube game. IM has issues but if you know the market, you understand it's just cyclical. All it takes is a good wheel release to erase the past. 2 years ago LK was in deep trouble with the Abrams, now they have the most sought wheel. Best to take some distance and have a high level view. Im not worried for the success of the V14, especially with the batch 2 black version. 

Is it accentuated though? Time will tell very soon. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if I am about any of it - I'd like to be wrong, in fact. I wish them the best and tons of success, but some of that comes with some hard truths that are hard pills to swallow. Hopefully they release some incredible wheels very soon - but even if/when they do, it'll be hard for me to trust them to do the right thing in the event that safety issues arise, unless some real positive change happens. Ultimately that was my goal for the video - not for clicks and views, but to spur them toward change.

• Haha 1

I complain about my kids and working for them but I still love them and we are still a functional family.

Tight spaces and personalities can be dynamic but the machine can still work.

I have had a good run with Inmotion so I do keep singing their song. 

I guess recent company changes may have come into play with this release so I give it a little bit of time to see how the launch settles.

Not impressed that a wheel due for release had such dodgy firmware but they have addressed it pretty quick, we shall see.

They have also been pretty good behind the scenes apologising about my issue and chatting to me about what they are doing. 

I still think the wheel is pretty damn fun 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WheelGoodTime said:

not for clicks and views, but to spur them toward change.

So this is the type of influence you think you have  with 1,800 followers? There are people that eat food that had more in their first day. I'm sure Inmotion will be shaking in their boots.:roflmao:

4 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

So this is the type of influence you think you have  with 1,800 followers? There are people that eat food that had more in their first day. I'm sure Inmotion will be shaking in their boots.:roflmao:

I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I have already gotten word that employees at IM have watched it and there were some higher-level discussions about it. Also some IM employees have quietly expressed agreement/support for the statements I've made - So to a certain degree, yes, I believe that I did a small part to influence them to change for the better, come what may.

Speaking of Inmotion, Inmotion may be down, but maybe not out. They may still have a couple of wheels up its sleeve for 2024.

Seb Morano at Ride One has hinted about two new high performance wheels coming out from Inmotion this year. And one of them should be nothing like we have seen before. He also mentioned the Inmotion V3 while still on the topic. I'm not really sure how the V3 concept comes into play.

Time-stamped:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

I did get one dip but im sure I over torqued the landing, wheel dug into soft ground and I seemed to hit 11700w it didn't cut off but dipped.

It sounds like the dipping issue has been fixed, or at least improved upon significantly.

But how is the V14 compared to your V11 and V13 now, when landing a jump, bump, or drop?

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

It sounds like the dipping issue has been fixed, or at least improved upon significantly.

But how is the V14 compared to your V11 and V13 now, when landing a jump, bump, or drop?

i need more time for sure to tell. 

I was more hesitant than I thought after the dip offs last time, I didn't feel that comfy jumping to start. 

The suspension is much better on V14, so far 

I still only have a cpl hundred km and haven't spent time jumping or dropping till now. 

I think on the V13 you can just throw everything at it and land however on any jump and it is never bothered not dipped once. V11 I have never had dip, only warning beeps while landing bigger jumps and the "be careful" lady.

The v14 was beeping in the air which was throwing my confidence a little. I came off with one dip but the wheel did dig in and when I looked at the max power it showed 11700w so I guess it overpowered it then.

I gave up after that effort for the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Does the V14 suspension action feel smoother and more refined than that of the V13?

150% :) for sure.

I think i chat about it a bit in my range test video coming up. I also go through the dials and settings a little i think. 

It is so much more like fast ace, actually compresses beautifully and for me doesn't feel exactly straight up and down like an plank of wood (V13/V11) it feels better on the V14 a slight  better geometry and way the spring works from the rear with the sliders, it feels like the suspension is coming from the heel of my foot toward the centre of the wheel, more slight angle feel to it, ummm hard to sum up and even trying to describe it could just be how I have my pads and position.

Basically 

Just heaps better in every way. 

Adjusting the rebound and compression is super easy and actually works. The solid adjustment of the dials and clicks are great, it doesn't feel like you are spinning them worthlessly like on V13 and hoping to find the position.  

Much better suspension and mine isn't sticking (yet) all weather mud and water so far.

The 90mm is still a worry but it feels really firm if you tighten all your knobs and super plush of you ride loose.     

• Like 3

Update on cell-balancing

After purposefully running  the battery low with hard accelerations, I got the cells slightly out of sync. After charging it over the last few days (to avoid fan noise and still keep an eye on it.), I can now see that it balances the 4 different packs (see attachment). The problem is that charging was stopped before the 2 low voltage packs reached the same voltage as the 2 134V ones. Will try to update, when I charge it next time, to see if it gets better or worse...

IMG_0752.thumb.PNG.5d981f486c86249ff965b2997439ba1e.PNGIMG_0753.thumb.PNG.427ca940e3bac435ae4aeb70670b6d89.PNGIMG_0754.thumb.PNG.62a9e9315efb46136353ff1d71f2e925.PNG

Edited by CasperBak
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CasperBak said:

Update on cell-balancing

After purposefully running  the battery low with hard accelerations, I got the cells slightly out of sync. After charging it over the last few days (to avoid fan noise and still keep an eye on it.), I can now see that it balances the 4 different packs (see attachment). The problem is that charging was stopped before the 2 low voltage packs reached the same voltage as the 2 134V ones. Will try to update, when I charge it next time, to see if it gets better or worse...

IMG_0752.thumb.PNG.5d981f486c86249ff965b2997439ba1e.PNGIMG_0753.thumb.PNG.427ca940e3bac435ae4aeb70670b6d89.PNGIMG_0754.thumb.PNG.62a9e9315efb46136353ff1d71f2e925.PNG

BMS should keep balancing even if charge cycle is complete and charger turns off according to configure parameters (mv difference+lowest voltage to keep balancing for).

So might be interesting to let it sit for a while then turn it on and compare.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

BMS should keep balancing even if charge cycle is complete and charger turns off according to configure parameters (mv difference+lowest voltage to keep balancing for).

So might be interesting to let it sit for a while then turn it on and compare.

Yeah, that is also the conclusion I came to, since that is how it works on my V12. I have let it sit plugged in, until I need to use it again. The disparity in voltage has already decreased.

14 minutes ago, CasperBak said:

Yeah, that is also the conclusion I came to, since that is how it works on my V12. I have let it sit plugged in, until I need to use it again. The disparity in voltage has already decreased.

I don't think it even needs to be plugged in, BMS is always on doing it's thing according to parameters set by Inmotion.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

I don't think it even needs to be plugged in, BMS is always on doing it's thing according to parameters set by Inmotion.

Ok interesting - thank you. Having drained 20% just now, all 4 packs seem to be very close in voltage again. So nothing to worry about it seems.

I am still not sure how I am overpowering the wheel so easy. It was taking some work in the trails but I didn't expect to hit 13000w max power. Darkness bot wont connect to give me a realtime read out IMG_2688.thumb.png.05474af2a703583af018a3a40bebd429.pngto see where I am overpowering. 

It still didn't cut off.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

I am still not sure how I am overpowering the wheel so easy. It was taking some work in the trails but I didn't expect to hit 13000w max power.

Just wondering, when you are doing errands, or just commuting on pavement, and you don't do curbs, jumps, or drops, etc, what has been the peak power draw so far?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, novazeus said:

this is promising

It does sound like Zen Lee is changing his tune as Inmotion is improving the firmware. 

I still believe Inmotion will get it right, and perform well.

I am keeping an eye on the V14, as well as two yet unannounced performance wheels from Inmotion.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

I absolutely think that V14 is underrated and much better than the bad reputation at start. It’s still in late development but almost ready. I would buy it if it had a 14” rim or if I needed an off-road wheel. I was so excited after the announcement to get the next version with bigger rim. And nothing wrong with 12” rim for this usage, It’s just not optimal for my use case.