Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

16 hours ago, techyiam said:

when he was going at around 45 mph over a bump that he didn't see.

That will never ever ever make sense to me. On my electric motorcycle, anything above 35 mph is honestly a big nasty hurricane of non-enjoyable wind assault.

Exposed on an EUC at 45 mph is just... bonkers? Yes, on a track for speed tests and testosterone parties. But on a regular basis, in traffic, with humans driving all around you?

Nope.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UPONIT said:

That will never ever ever make sense to me. On my electric motorcycle, anything above 35 mph is honestly a big nasty hurricane of non-enjoyable wind assault.

Exposed on an EUC at 45 mph is just... bonkers? Yes, on a track for speed tests and testosterone parties. But on a regular basis, in traffic, with humans driving all around you?

Nope.

I have a naked 900cc with no wind protection and I’m fine at speeds up to 100 mph without really complaining.  45 mph on an EUC feels like a cool summer breeze in comparison 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I have a naked 900cc with no wind protection and I’m fine at speeds up to 100 mph without really complaining.  45 mph on an EUC feels like a cool summer breeze in comparison 

Likewise. I currently have a 636 but before that had a street triple, and I'd regularly hit 130+ mph on the freeway. Going 45-55 on an EUC is like a relaxing cruise to me 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Nope.

I agree with you here because wind on an EUC ain't no joke. Speed is one thing, but when you combine high speed with high winds. Nope. In winds of 15mph that pushing me around decently enough. I definitely would not want to go 45+mph on an EUC at those winds or higher

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BKW said:

I definitely would not want to go 45+mph on an EUC at those winds or higher

Interesting. You ride a Sherman Max and still worry about some wind at speeds of 45+ mph.

I know on my V12, in medium strong winds can make it dicey to ride at 40+ mph. Mind you experience can help. I definitely don't make it a habit of riding fast in strong winds. I am hoping that my Abrams will fair better. 

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Interesting. You ride a Sherman Max and still worry about some wind at speeds of 45+ mph.

I know on my V12, in medium strong winds can make it dicey to ride at 40+ mph. Mind you experience can help. I definitely don't make it a habit of riding fast in strong winds. I am hoping that my Abrams will fair better. 

I ride a Sherman max and a Begode EX.  On the Sherman winds are a factor.  On the EX winds have very little to no effect.  The EX only wheel I've owned that wasn't affected by wind.  

My guess is that the EX is more stable in wind because of the 40lb c40 motor (alot of spinning inertia).  I would imagine the EX30s and v13 will do great in wind with their heavy motors, the Sherman S might not do as well.  The downside to the heavy motor however is sluggish performance at low speeds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

On the Sherman winds are a factor.  On the EX winds have very little to no effect.  The EX only wheel I've owned that wasn't affected by wind.

That is very good news for me. Denis Hagov in his review of the Abrams stated that he thinks the Abrams motor is the heaviest motor he has encountered at the time (about a year ago). In addition, the Abrams weighs about 97 lbs. That means there is hope that the Abrams has a fair chance of not being that sensitive to wind.

Edited by techyiam

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

If people find they need to fine tune the poundage to their weight I might look into sourcing some alternatives.

I for one would be interested in higher rate springs.

Having one set of springs to service people from say 70-80 kg and another from 80-150 kg just seems like a joke!
Another option in that upper range would be most welcomed.

Just out of  curiosity who here is actually planning to opt for the "below 80kg") option?
I get that there are some who way 65-70 kg who might be concerned about how stiff the 80+ springs are but once you factor in gear and potentially the odd backpack of groceries I would imaging anyone over 75kg is likely to opt for the 80+ springs anyhow. I know for a fact that my local EUC store has ordered exclusively 80+ springs for the first batch as they simply don't think there is anyone that would willingly chews the sub-80 option as it is. So I'm just curious, who here is actually planning to go for the lower rate springs?

Edited by Slartibartfast

I'll be going for the lower-rate springs, I'm 130lb (60kg). I'm actually worried the softer springs will still be too stiff for me, hopefully somebody near me has one I can try before I order my own eventually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

100 mph bare-faced? Yikes. 74mph winds are Category 1 Hurricane. (Also: bugs in teeth, asphalt shrapnel, dry mouth, balloon mouth, crazy eyes or salt-air skin peels?)

So... yeah... 45 mph probably does feel way better. Kinda like touching a DC 24 volt wire vs. sticking a fork in a socket?:D

You are made of sturdier stuff than me, I guess.

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Again... HUMAN = FLAT SAIL-like SURFACE perpendicular to wind? That's not even considering cross winds, which cause a non-zero number of aircraft mishaps annually?

10 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Likewise. I currently have a 636 but before that had a street triple, and I'd regularly hit 130+ mph on the freeway. Going 45-55 on an EUC is like a relaxing cruise to me 😂

Wearing a helmet or goggles, right?

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

6 hours ago, wstuart said:

I ride a Sherman max and a Begode EX.  On the Sherman winds are a factor.  On the EX winds have very little to no effect.  The EX only wheel I've owned that wasn't affected by wind.  

My guess is that the EX is more stable in wind because of the 40lb c40 motor (alot of spinning inertia).  I would imagine the EX30s and v13 will do great in wind with their heavy motors, the Sherman S might not do as well.  The downside to the heavy motor however is sluggish performance at low speeds.  

Okay. What am I missing here? I took physics mumble years ago! If you put a big enough sail on a dumptruck, you can move it. 90 lbs vs. 60 lbs under sail (human flat to wind) seems like the least important part of that equation...

Is there a thread on this somewhere so I can learn about this without threadjacking? Very interesting subject. I  mean... I feel it when people EXHALE when I go by...:facepalm:

1 hour ago, UPONIT said:

What am I missing here?

Have you cross a bridge on a 125 cc motorcycle, and get hit by a 70 km/h crosswind burst at mid span?

Repeat but with a open class motorcycle.

If you haven't, the 125 would change lane without the rider input in a fraction of a second when it get hit by the burst of wind.

Whereas on the open classer, nothing happens. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Okay. What am I missing here? I took physics mumble years ago! If you put a big enough sail on a dumptruck, you can move it. 90 lbs vs. 60 lbs under sail (human flat to wind) seems like the least important part of that equation...

Is there a thread on this somewhere so I can learn about this without threadjacking? Very interesting subject. I  mean... I feel it when people EXHALE when I go by...:facepalm:

I have ridden a lot of motorcycles, the side profile of which are all fairly similar regarding wind. However, on a light motorcycle like a 250 or 125 a strong enough crosswind will send me off my trajectory. You can feel the wind pushing you around much easier. Now, with a heavier bike (or EUC) you have a much more inertia. It takes a lot more for the wind to move you, subsequently it takes more to stop that movement as well. A crosswind will not just blow you around, but if you do get sent off your path it will take more muscle to get back where you want to be. 

2 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Wearing a helmet or goggles, right?

Full leathers with a race helmet, yep.

54 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Have you cross a bridge on a 125 cc motorcycle, and get hit by a 70 km/h crosswind burst at mid span?

Repeat but with a open class motorcycle.

If you haven't, the 125 would change lane without the rider input in a fraction of a second when it get hit by the burst of wind.

Whereas on the open classer, nothing happens. 

Exactly.

• Upvote 1

The surface area on a EUC is much less than on a motorcycle though. So wind although does move you around a bit its not in the same way as a motorbike. Although its still an issue of course.

It comes down to experience I suppose. I live in a particularly windy part of the world and travel in 30 Mph winds at 25+ on a S18 which isn't the most stable wheel at the best of times. The most fun I've had is going out in 31 Mph sustained with 50 Mph gusts, but that was in a parking lot fighting with the wind at 5 Mph or less.

I would imagine going faster than 30 Mph in anything over 30Mph winds would be pretty sketchy. When I get a bigger wheel I will find out.

Wind is effect that will affect.

How much might depend on the gust of it.
Also if your clothing does not let air go through, (example: cold weather )you will be bigger sail. And wind will affect you more.

There is also technique to cancel wind effects to rider. Simply put you keep body to center as much as possible yet focus having bend knees and feel the weight in heels or toes to regulate weight. I tested this above mentioned in a storm that fell trees and cut power all over the country, it works.

Wind will have more effect on riders who use their full body to lean OR do the worst LEANING INTO WIND, you will have bad experience soon. Many consider this the only way movin about, it is not the way. Not the only way anyway, nor the safest, but the one people learn first.

As weight of the wheel, not saying it could not have effect but.. most just need time to get used to it (the wheel you use) and "we" don't bother explaining how we do it. Brain does it for us, wobbles just disappear one day. Most get headache when we talk about balance and distributing weight to pedals during a ride. I find it the simplest way to explain how your weight affect the ride or control of it. 

Maybe move this wind talk to another topic?

Edited by Tasku

Wind - A DANGEROUS Road Condition That is Easily overlooked : EUC SAFETY Tip For Electric Unicycles

AMLnZu93pPH8rhN9wde-oNSsnp0cUmdTS_ID5JD7
3.47K subscribers
Oct 17, 2020

Wind is any easy to forget about road hazard that can dramatically impact your ride.
Be aware of your conditions at all times when traveling at speed on any EUC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

EXN weight is approximately 73 lbs/33 kgs.

Euc Crash Hit By Heavy Wind EXN

60 subscribers

Dec 14, 2021

I've had a suspicion since I joined this forum that many people here are a little too sure of themselves. It's ridiculous we even have to debate this. I'm over it. This is the last time I talk about this in this thread.. back to Sherman-S for me

Edited by BKW
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I for one would be interested in higher rate springs.

Having one set of springs to service people from say 70-80 kg and another from 80-150 kg just seems like a joke!
Another option in that upper range would be most welcomed.

Just out of  curiosity who here is actually planning to opt for the "below 80kg") option?
I get that there are some who way 65-70 kg who might be concerned about how stiff the 80+ springs are but once you factor in gear and potentially the odd backpack of groceries I would imaging anyone over 75kg is likely to opt for the 80+ springs anyhow. I know for a fact that my local EUC store has ordered exclusively 80+ springs for the first batch as they simply don't think there is anyone that would willingly chews the sub-80 option as it is. So I'm just curious, who here is actually planning to go for the lower rate springs?

I’m 190lbs but I’m going with the lighter spring because I never jump and only do minor off-road. I’m looking for comfort. 

• Upvote 1