[SOLVED] Begode selling Master "LiTech" packs: we have a problem

• supercurio changed the title to [SOLVED] Begode selling Master "LiTech" packs: we have a problem

I too have to give many thanks to @supercurio for a job well done. Not only were his sleuthing efforts able to bring this to light, despite this being an inconceivable despicable act. He was able to, in short order, stop Begode dead in its track in what looks like a conniving attempt to swindle their distributors, dealers, and ultimately their customers out of genuine LiTech battery packs. Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So much effort to uncover Gotway's behaviour.

A wheel that on a low speed crash seems to be severely, structurally damaged.

A wheel that relies on the reputation of LiTech quality to assure customers that it will be safe from fire.

Gotway's reputation does not seem to be improving.

First adopter, guinea pigs may yet find more hidden problems.

Is a battery pack from LiTech all that it takes to make the Master a good wheel?

In a few months and Gotway might bring out the next model, with promises of quality, performance, speed, etc.

I do find this whole situation funny. Litech doesn't have a functional battery system to take to market and be reviewed. Everyone jumping to the conclusion it's design will be superior to Begodes is just making assumptions. Good job solving the mystery of who will eventually sell this vaporware in a couple months ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

I do find this whole situation funny. Litech doesn't have a functional battery system to take to market and be reviewed. Everyone jumping to the conclusion it's design will be superior to Begodes is just making assumptions. Good job solving the mystery of who will eventually sell this vaporware in a couple months ;)

That's because it's a product that didn't exist before, they are building a new product according to specs as requested and contracted by ewheels, same specs ewheels most likely been trying to get Begode to implement without much success hence why they sourced it from another supplier instead. Will it be superior? Most likely because ewheels with their experience know what improvements they would like to see in EUC battery packs going forward.

• Like 2

Ewheels isn't an engineering house. They are a product distributor that likes to make exclusive agreements with manufactures to differentiate them from the competition. I hope their version of the master works out well. Given what we know I'm not blowing another summer waiting around for their half Begode half Litech product.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Ewheels isn't an engineering house. They are a product distributor that likes to make exclusive agreements with manufactures to differentiate them from the competition. I hope their version of the master works out well. Given what we know I'm not blowing another summer waiting around for their half Begode half Litech product.

Ewheels has a lot of knowledge about EUCs, they sell and service them, they have plenty reasons (fires) to ensure the safety of their continued operation and enough knowledge to know what improvements could and should be made for that, LiTech has the skills and manufacturing to make the hardware according to that since Begode isn't doing it themselves.

As they usually say in Chinese businesses "Please try to understand".

Edited by Rawnei

So could other suppliers get exclusive agreements? Here is just one example of a company in the UK that could provide the BMS. 

https://brillpower.com/applications/

But how much integration is needed on the Begode motherboard? and why would Begode allow its motherboard to be used by a third party? Maybe they thought Li-Tech could be used by others but with supply constraints they can only supply Ewheels at this time?

Fortunately the battery cases are a simple shape.

I'm not convinced Begode deliberately misled us, I think it might have happened by mistake.

Edited by The Brahan Seer
  • Like 1

Its better to give the benefit of the doubt to others and to interpret the attitudes and behaviours positively rather than negatively (at least until guilt is proven).

We all make mistakes and companies make many mistakes all the time. The key is to see the motivation behind them; are they malicious (like VW with deisel gate) or unintended like (Boeing 747 Max).

Begode has absolutely nothing to gain from alienating its customers and suppliers. Or from only offering its motherboard to one external supplier. I think they were generally trying to help everyone out. Maybe Ewheels will offer its suggestions to others. Maybe the others already know whats needed. Ultimately I like to live in a world with more compassion which I know is severely lacking around the world at the moment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

This is an interesting thread.

In qualifying my first wheel purchase, I had quite a few back-and-forth emails with Jason and eWheels before and after my pre-order, mainly about their LiTech battery assembly venture. As one of, if not the largest, wheel distributor in N.A., clearly they had experienced enough of a pain point relying upon Gotway->Begode battery assembly quality to invest in a 3rd-party battery assembler to better control and ensure manufacturing quality of this absolutely critical safety component. Since then, any of the other wheel distributors, in N.A. and otherwise, could have and still can go out and try their hand at this if they want, but as far as I know I don't think any have done so. In fact, from these emails, here's what it cost them:

This battery project is really a big deal for us, the total amount invested, including cells, development, assembly, testing has exceeded $1m

That being said, what happened to me this last Friday with my wheel, I think, is a testament to my decision to buy my RS from eWheels. Before this, I was looking to source a wheel without battery packs in order to be sure of the quality and strength of materials (spot-welds, battery holders, water-proofing, etc) by the tried and true DIY method.

What happened? I lost control of my wheel at 30+mph (tarmac) due to violent speed wobbles (bad stance/user error) and pointed myself to the dirt for a quick exit/slide. Then I watched the wheel tumble for a bit before making an unexpected left turn, crossing the entire road, and spinning end-over-end in a drainage ditch to finally come to a stop about 1/3 submerged in dirty ditch water. Nice.

In between jumping in the ditch to pull it out, and the minutes between transporting it back to my cousin's barn to gain access to the tools to open it up and disconnect the battery, my wheel, to my amazement, did not erupt into flames! And it's not like my wheel has had an easy life up to this point too tearing up the trails. By Sunday, I had it back to 100% functional.

I sincerely doubt I'd have had this result without the attention to detail in not just the quality of the battery assembly, but also the waterproofing if I had just gotten an RS19 "off-the-shelf". Just my opinion though.

I didn't document the repair very well, but here's some pictures from this weekend when I had her apart for an extensive cleaning session as proof.

RS19_clean_repair.thumb.jpg.943baf4416c4adb8bc1fbe08ada2a272.jpg

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

On 5/25/2022 at 2:45 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

(Boy, when I saw the [SOLVED] edited into the title, I sure hoped for "Problem solved!", not "Mystery solved: it is as bad as it looked.". At least it's over now and there are no fake LiTech packs listed any longer.)

😆 yes the [SOLVED] tag was meant to celebrate the end of a company selling us something that wouldn't exist.

I keep working on the second part of the solution however: to get actual LiTech packs in the wheels of those who wanted that.
There are challenges to get there, but a few key distributors you know about share the same strong motivation to make it happen.

That's what might explain the delay to communicate and inform customers for some, who try to evaluate if "LiTech" Masters are feasible instead of giving bad news to their customers right away.

BTW @Vanturion thanks for sharing your story and bad luck. Even though everything looks good for now it's probably advisable to open these packs to make sure they're still 100% dry. Then re-wrapping them just as good.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I keep working on the second part of the solution however: to get actual LiTech packs in the wheels of those who wanted that.
There are challenges to get there, but a few key distributors you know about share the same strong motivation to make it happen.

If you could also try to get the 40T packs for the S22 to UE resellers from Kingsong, that would me make seriously happy. I'd love to get this generation of wheels some high discharge packs like I have on my eskate.