EUCs can be dangerous

@Skeptikos for what it's worth, I totally get what you're saying. That's why I posted the bit about driving in Sicily, it was even more bonkers than driving in Spain! It's just the way it is there and unless you've experienced the cultural immersion of it all it won't make sense. Think giant traffic circle, 6-7 cars wide, nobody paying attention to any sort of 'right of way' just pushing in where they can, cars inches away from you and drivers not at all concerned about a little bumper car action... SO MUCH FUN hahaha!

I think that with the right protective gear a NYC alleycat race might also be the right kind of fun for me :) I'll probably never run with bulls, you know, cuz that's just stupid...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

the people most upset are strangely located on the opposite side of the globe.

So if you're from the US, and especially if you're from the NYC area, it's very clear that these events are drawing directly from NYC culture.

How does the US sponsor asking to be removed from all related publifications fit into your view?

From my perspective, getting upset about alleycat races breaking NYC traffic laws makes a person sound like an uptight killjoy, someone who isn't primarily concerned about safety and really just wants to be angry at people.

You take it as you wish, but if you followed the discussion, you know that I wasn’t even the one bringing up “rules” in this context. I replied to a comment that in my mind twisted the concept in a way that deserved a response.

There's already a lot of traffic law breaking in the normal background noise of NYC traffic.

Still, I’m sure that having to pull a little girl out of a rider’s way at crosswalk is something special, even in NYC.

And spending months debating it is just ... bizarre.

Which you have been a crucial part as of late, worth mentioning.

• Upvote 1

one of the main issues I have with safety is when EUC manufactures use cheap parts and materials... nothing upsets me more then trying to work on a wheel and screws breaking and stripping out because they're just cheap as junk they stuff used on toys... not every manufacture is doing this but just some of them...

28 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

not every manufacture is doing this but just some of them...

Up until LK along, pretty much every manufacturer used the cheapest possible parts... we can only hope that this is the start of taking these things seriously.

1 hour ago, ElectronxCycles said:

one of the main issues I have with safety is when EUC manufactures use cheap parts and materials... nothing upsets me more then trying to work on a wheel and screws breaking and stripping out because they're just cheap as junk they stuff used on toys... not every manufacture is doing this but just some of them...

save yourself some grief and don't expect that to change anytime soon. I have yet to see quality fastners and quality materials on ANY Eucs. To be fair, most brands do/did make a pretty good quality mainboard at one time or another. However, the rest is pretty much bottom of the barrel and it hasnt changed. Theyd rather thicken cheap materials or add a few more standoffs of shit quality, than to invest in quality materials from the onset. Obvious design problems are implemented, even tho other equipment/vehicle manufacturers have long since quit making such mistakes. Look at the subsystems and the parts. Now compare that to the similar subsystems of respected equipment. Yeah, thres a small oversight going on.  I think the game is... go as cheap as possible and work your way UP, but only when forced to do so. Its gotta be something about the bean counting and they all play the same game.

• Upvote 3

Would like to find out how much EUCs sell for to the Chinese domestic market. 

KS had geo locking to prevent grey imports/parallel market.

Aliexpress is in English targeting the international market.

Finding out that a mark up of thousands of dollars for Westerners, and still receiving low quality.... would be interesting to see customers' reactions...

Might need to try find and translate if the Chinese equivalents of Amazon, EBay etc. are selling EUCs.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, saw that too, have no idea what that cyclist was thinking/doing riding against traffic on the wrong side of the road.

An oncoming car and unicycle, the cyclist squeezes in between them.

Absolutely astounding.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:39 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

save yourself some grief and don't expect that to change anytime soon. I have yet to see quality fastners and quality materials on ANY Eucs. To be fair, most brands do/did make a pretty good quality mainboard at one time or another. However, the rest is pretty much bottom of the barrel and it hasnt changed. Theyd rather thicken cheap materials or add a few more standoffs of shit quality, than to invest in quality materials from the onset. Obvious design problems are implemented, even tho other equipment/vehicle manufacturers have long since quit making such mistakes. Look at the subsystems and the parts. Now compare that to the similar subsystems of respected equipment. Yeah, thres a small oversight going on.  I think the game is... go as cheap as possible and work your way UP, but only when forced to do so. Its gotta be something about the bean counting and they all play the same game.

Euc's should be made of steel/aluminum, same as cars/bikes. Not cheap ass plastic. These aren't some kind cheap 5$ toys, jet companies act as they are.. Heck all you need is a frame to screw batteries/motor/mobo to. Add mud flap and all set. Something like Begode EX20S works very well. Only thing i would change is metal battery casings.. And much. much better water protection for motherboard/batteries.

Edited by Funky

On 5/22/2022 at 4:56 PM, Planemo said:

Unless I'm missing something, did the EUC rider not just put themselves in the drivers blind spot for the whole period leading up to this?

Not saying the driver isn't in the wrong, I would have seen the EUC coming up if I was in the car when sitting at the lights, but as a rider I would never have stayed next to the car for that long in that position. I'd either have dropped back or gone past it.

I think that a 'blindspot' in most cars, is a total bullshit excuse. If you use mirrors and turn your head, there is no blind spot large enough to hide a bicycist or unicyclist. THIS kind of accident happens all the time, and its usually the vehicle making the turn, that is at fault. Of course, its not exactly a wise idea to pace a car on the shoulder. Perhaps we shouldnt be acting like cars, while not giving them room to operate as well. I've been in this similar accident and a fatality was involved. Yup, I've learned to NOT pace a car like this, even IF its allowed. I've also learned to not cross driveways, as cars never check before entering the turn. Just fyi, I wasnt pacing a car, but the RH turn into me as I traveled, was the same. Results were much worse tho.

Pedestrians and bikes alike, are run over from poor turning habits. Same goes for when cars commit to a turn, before looking ahead enough, to see if they can clear the intersection.  The euc came up from behind the car to begin with. An alert driver would have noticed him coming and then noticed where he went. Rear view mirrors, side mirrors and 6 pieces of glass on that car. No matter, paying attention is a human limitation, not a vehicle fault. No need to ban vehicles, perhaps just ban the humans.

As shown in the video however, every person involved, was acting stupid in one form or another. Its not defensive riding, to pace a car on the shoulder. Its not proper driving to turn before checking all mirrors and turning your head. Its blatant stupidity, to ride the wrong way and split traffic on the white lines. Basically, the only element that is consistent, is the human element. Maybe its not that EUC's are dangerous at all. Perhaps its the same thing that is always dangerous.... the humans. :facepalm:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think you should say "EUC's can be dangerous". They are dangerous, 24-7, that's just a fact. Everyone who rides gets hurt eventually. 

But it's worth the risk or we all wouldn't still be here :)

• Like 1

EUCs can be dangerous to others as well.

Electric scooters are in vastly greater numbers.  Their higher usage and visibility attracts more attention.

Electric scooter incidents can easily be EUC incidents.

TV news report of electric scooters after the fatality of Lisa Banes in NYC.

Electric Scooters Are Crashing Into People and Cars

Jun 29, 2021
AKedOLQ6jUcMzk2GqRxLO96dqc-sl36jvB167dav
Inside Edition 10.6M subscribers

Electric scooters are causing mayhem on the streets of America’s cities.
They’ve been seen running red lights and flying down streets as fast as 50 miles per hour, and people are getting hurt.
People riding scooters have slammed into pedestrians in crosswalks, at bus stops, and even on sidewalks.
Earlier this month, actress Lisa Banes was killed in New York City after she was struck by a scooter rider in a hit-and-run.
Inside Edition took to the streets to see how much havoc scooters cause.

Edited by Paul A

Nikola 100V EUC Uphill Cutout 32mph 37% Battery

Nov 23, 2020
AKedOLTgPB2dTn1SQGGcaO8xNXf8HC8nBR8YZg0x

49 subscribers

32mph cutout on Nikola 100v EUC, walked away scratch free thanks to my Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards and 1Protect gloves.

Both gloves and knees were hard plastic, which allowed me to slide along the road preventing any injury. Always Gear Up.

Cyclist barely escapes DAF truck driver SL64 ZVG

Jun 3, 2022
xCu-9dcA0Xy5_7yvFjWeeOYF7gZyeDNltTcSDYDO

135 subscribers

Classic right turning truck driver who don't use mirrors or exspects cyclist to hit the brakes.

So close to ending up under the truck as she has no idea it is coming based on her driving.

Road noise is quite high here and she may even have been wearing headphones.