EUC rider in San Francisco killed in accident with garbage truck

Hellkitten

Further to HellKitten's previous post regarding fatality of EUC rider in San Francisco.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/bicyclist-killed-in-early-morning-collision-in-san-francisco/2907328/

Published June 1, 2022 Updated 6 hours ago

Man on Motorized Unicycle Dies in Collision With Garbage Truck in SF

A man on a motorized unicycle died in a collision with a Recology garbage truck in San Francisco's Hayes Valley neighborhood early Wednesday morning, according to police and Recology officials.

The collision was reported shortly before 4 a.m. in the area of Oak Street and Octavia Boulevard, where officers arrived and found the cyclist, who was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. His name was not immediately released.

According to officials at Recology, the company that contracts with the city to collect and recycle waste, a collection truck was going north on Octavia when the unicyclist struck near the rear of the truck.

"Safety is Recology's paramount priority, and we are deeply saddened by the loss of life in this tragic accident," company spokesperson Robert Reed said. "Our most sincere sympathies go out to the loved ones of the victim."

Recology is setting up grief counseling for its employees and is cooperating in the police investigation into the collision, Reed said.

Police said they do not believe impairment was a factor in the collision and ask anyone with information about the case to call their tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" at the start of the message.

image.png.1dbd180d0b218a609eecef0ea8df156f.png

• Upvote 1

Pictures of the intersection from news reports and Google search.

image.png.48fdf9880c7aef1a74e50bc84751a02a.png

image.png.e57e87a80a5514c0b496f449788cb074.png

When stopped at an intersection:

As a pedestrian/rider on the sidewalk

As a rider on the road...

Stand well back from the edge/kerb/corner.

Vehicles can sometimes cut the corner, mount the kerb/footpath, when turning, especially if they are trying to beat the red light change.

Trucks in particular are especially dangerous.  Their rear wheels do not follow in the same path as the front steering wheels around tight corners.

Have seen many occasions when the rear wheels of a truck completely mount the kerb and would have killed anyone standing there.

Have seen the weight of some trucks actually crush and destroy the kerb when mounted.

Even when the light turns green for crossing, check in all directions.

Vehicles sometimes do not stop for red lights.

Vehicle speeding through red lights hitting a turning car.  Cars then careen onto pedestrians.

Plenty of YouTube videos.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

It's the 4th-ever EUC fatality I think? 
(Ukraine, San Jose, Honolulu, and now SF)

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/bicyclist-killed-in-early-morning-collision-in-san-francisco/2907328/
"shortly before 4 a.m. 
truck was going north on Octavia when the unicyclist struck near the rear of the truck.
Police said they do not believe impairment was a factor in the collision"

Rest in peace

Edited by RagingGrandpa

That's why i personally don't see euc place on roads.. (You don't even need driving licence to use euc.. Yet people drive with cars) <<< That right there is so wrong in many ways. It's simply to dangerous. Sure if you live in place where you see cars coming rarely - go enjoy the freedom of road.

But if i lived in very busy city, where cars go left/right all time. Nah thanks i'm gonna stick to sidewalks.

Heck i don't even plan riding with cars, because i don't have driving license. I don't have any point being on road with euc..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funky said:

That's why i personally don't see euc place on roads..

As a noob, I find it much easier to ride on the side of the road if the road is wide enough because the roads are in better condition than sidewalks. I can see clearly far ahead of me and I can move at a constant speed. On sidewalks, i need to worry every time I will pass a driveway, I’m not sure if a car will suddenly drive out or drive in or a kid might run after a ball. 
But I do understand we could get run over so I keep checking behind me. I’m also watching for car doors suddenly opening. 

Excerpts from an article from a law firm regarding San Francisco fatality.

https://www.torklaw.com/san-francisco/news/unicyclist-killed-in-san-francisco-garbage-truck-accident-by-octavia-street-and-oak-street/

June 2, 2022

Liability In San Francisco Garbage Truck Accidents

According to data from the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration), around 100 people are killed every year in garbage truck accidents and about 1,400 people are injured.

Garbage trucks can be particularly dangerous to pedestrians, bicyclists and unicyclists.

It is common for garbage truck drivers to overlook pedestrians due to their small size.

In particular, garbage trucks often have large blind spots that can obscure the presence of bicyclists and unicyclists.

There are many other factors that could potentially contribute to a fatal garbage truck collision.

•  Trash truck companies often push their drivers to complete their routes as quickly as possible in order to increase their profits. This inevitably leads to lapses in safety protocols.
  • Trash trucks are much more difficult to operate than passenger vehicles. They make wide turns and can weigh up to 40,000 lbs. Many collisions involve drivers that are inexperienced or otherwise do not have adequate training.
  • Trash truck drivers typically perform their duties in the early morning hours when visibility is reduced. Fatal pedestrian collisions are more likely to occur in the late evening and early morning hours.

Garbage truck drivers need a commercial drivers license (CDL) and are held to a high standard in terms of safety.

They must do everything in their power to avoid collisions with bicyclists and pedestrians.

Many collisions are due to drivers that make dangerous turns in the roadway.

Roadways and intersections can be dangerous and could potentially contribute to an accident.

A city or municipality could potentially be held liable for an accident if it was caused by a dangerous condition with a roadway.

There are a number of ways that a roadway could be in a dangerous condition.

• A roadway may lack appropriate traffic lights or signals.
  • A roadway may have an obstructed line of sight.
  • A roadway may be improperly graded which could cause it to become flooded.
  • A roadway may have potholes or otherwise be rutted and uneven. This could cause a bicyclist to fall.
  • A roadway may be improperly banked or dangerously steep.

When there is a history of collisions at a particular location, this could point to a latent defect with a roadway or intersection.

The family of any victim that is killed in a San Francisco accident may have legal recourse through a wrongful death claim.

Damages in a civil claim can help cover lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering.

If the decedent survived for some period of time after a collision, their family may also be able to pursue a survival action.

Sadly, though, garbage truck companies and government agencies will often fight hard to deny responsibility for any accident.

A wrongful death attorney can examine all of the unique facts of your case and let you know what your legal options are.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 360rumors said:

As a noob, I find it much easier to ride on the side of the road if the road is wide enough because the roads are in better condition than sidewalks. I can see clearly far ahead of me and I can move at a constant speed. On sidewalks, i need to worry every time I will pass a driveway, I’m not sure if a car will suddenly drive out or drive in or a kid might run after a ball. 
But I do understand we could get run over so I keep checking behind me. I’m also watching for car doors suddenly opening. 

Every city differs.. I got long sidewalks(no drive ins/outs), where cars can't even aces them. Only thing i have to worry is passing people. Ofc in front of houses where people/cars share road there you need to look out more.

Yes in front of apartment buildings we share sidewalk with people/cars.

Edited by Funky

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to EUC rider in San Francisco killed in accident with garbage truck

https://www.facebook.com/pevra.org/posts/2200893236755710

Jesse Garnier, PEVRA - Personal Electric Vehicle Riders Association 
I'm devastated to report we have learned it was our friend Kevin Radcliffe who died in the crash in San Francisco early Wednesday morning. Kevin was a traveling emergency room nurse who touched many of us with his humor, kindness and dedication to his profession in the few months we have known him. Kevin would ride his EUC at night to and from work within a grueling schedule, and also to relieve stress from his heroic job. Kevin always wore his helmet and full safety gear when he rode, and that was true on Wednesday when this happened. Our hearts ache for Kevin's family, friends, and all who knew or were touched by him. We have reached out to Kevin's family with our support and condolences. To help honor Kevin's legacy, we ask that everyone within this growing community recommits themselves to always wearing appropriate safety gear, and to riding safely at all times.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

that's a fucking nasty type of accident and I had a few close calls of this variety when I started riding my bike in the city. It felt like a dream where I was like "Is this seriously fucking happening!?" as the turning truck's trailer started to push me & I had to bail and scramble onto the sidewalk. Fortunately I was at a complete stop and could make that move.

We'll probably see all the standard bicyclist-killing accidents start taking out fellow EUC riders as EUCs become more popular.

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Yeah, it doesn't exactly scream reckless rider. Horrible accident, who knows what the garbage truck was doing, plenty of truck drivers do stupid things.

While I am much safer sharing the roads with vehicular traffic than when I was riding a bicycle, I know that most if not all bicycle-vehicle collision scenarios still apply and that defensive riding is a must.

Very sorry to hear about this, hopefully it helps the rest of us to remember to ride cautiously around heavy vehicles.

News report of cyclist vs garbage truck fatality, San Francisco, 2013.

Describing an occurrence that happens frequently.

Cyclist Dies in Collision With Garbage Truck in S.F.

May 24, 2013
AKedOLS9pBOL_9IzSz-yoI0-j0VUq5icWnYSmGlQ
93.7K subscribers

Plenty of car drivers do stupid things.

YouTube videos of road incidents are really disturbing at times.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/fremantle/cyclists-camera-captures-crash-with-car-and-rubbish-truck-in-fremantle-ng-b881095541z

The person who filmed the incident did not want to give a name but noted the driver may have become impatient because he felt the cyclists were not paying attention.

“We (the cyclists) were turning right at the traffic lights and so were in the turning lane (the centre and right lane),” they told PerthNow.

“There was a red arrow, so we couldn’t proceed through the intersection.

“A car came up behind us and began to beep at us because he wanted to go straight through the intersection, and given there was a green light for cars going straight, I imagine he thought we weren’t paying attention.”

The driver pulled out into the left lane and was collected by the truck. All the cyclists immediately went to assist both drivers.

22 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I started riding on main roads and state routes around my area and these mirrors I put on velcro are a must when riding with other cars especially at high speeds 

39EF7783-5A29-481D-8463-B8FA4A5EC8D5.jpeg

I absolutely don't like to see this kind of unnecessary death due to oversights. Besides the tragic death, this kind of accidents eventually will cause police to clamp down on wheel riders. Let's not take our free reign on the roads/sidewalks...for granted! I don't want to jump too soon to conclusion. It seems to me that if it's true that the wheeler hit the back of the garbage truck, mostly likely the wheeler was going to fast and couldn't stop in time possibly while the truck was backing up or even remained stationary. 4am in the morning, one's visibility could be limited and traffic awareness might be at its lowest. I know there is a group of us love the thrills of speeding on wheels like some bicyclists.  However you want to look at it, we are at the short end of the stick! Take care!

Edited by Scubadragonsan

Unfortunately it does not take much, as someone who almost died in a relatively slow mc crash I can tell you that safety gear goes a long way, but what/how/how fast you hit can really change the outcome.  Rest in peace man. Be careful out there people, it can happen very suddenly.

https://www.torklaw.com/san-francisco/news/unicyclist-killed-in-san-francisco-garbage-truck-accident-by-octavia-street-and-oak-street/

• Trash truck companies often push their drivers to complete their routes as quickly as possible in order to increase their profits. This inevitably leads to lapses in safety protocols.
  • Trash trucks are much more difficult to operate than passenger vehicles. They make wide turns and can weigh up to 40,000 lbs. Many collisions involve drivers that are inexperienced or otherwise do not have adequate training.
  • Trash truck drivers typically perform their duties in the early morning hours when visibility is reduced. Fatal pedestrian collisions are more likely to occur in the late evening and early morning hours.

According to data from the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration), around 100 people are killed every year in garbage truck accidents and about 1,400 people are injured.

Large trucks need to make wide turns. 

Cyclists, motorbikes, EUC riders can be mistaken in thinking they are able to pass, just as the truck turns across their path 

Edited by Paul A
insertion of source

Riders might be unaware of their riding behaviour, hubris.

The Yook (EUC) Is The Only Way Through Traffic. PERIOD - Sample Video From DRE..EP3.....Link Below

363 views · 21 hours ago

20 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Riders might be unaware of their riding behaviour, hubris.

The Yook (EUC) Is The Only Way Through Traffic. PERIOD - Sample Video From DRE..EP3.....Link Below

363 views · 21 hours ago

One open door at stop = GG Game Over.:thumbup:

• Like 2