EUCs can be dangerous

Back in 1975 I bought a '74 Honda CVCC—it predated the Civic but was their first 4 cylinder 'automobile'. I think the tires were size 13", a giant step up from the 3 cylinder Suzuki powered Honda 600's 12".

I quickly realized that all of the vehicles around me were made of cold rolled steel and I was sitting in a tin foil beer can. A very small tin foil beer can. But compared to an EUC, even that was a safety improvement.

Changed my perspective.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Back in 1975 I bought a '74 Honda CVCC

OT I know but had to comment on that. I remember watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers (a UK series) where they tidied up one of those. It clearly showed that Honda were very switched on at a time when other manufacturers had barely moved away from steam. The CVCC engine was efficient and bulletproof, something that Honda carried through to this day. I have been around many stripped down well-used VTEC's (only to upgrade, not to repair) and was staggered at every one of them. Nearly all were within wear tolerances, even those at 100k+ mileages. Mental, especially given the life they had at the RPM's they do. Brilliant engines.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Silly Cyclists - Left turning lorry

Aug 16, 2011
AKedOLSn4eA88KBbKXTrMfNpyuezxWwxwTcHiDsR

1.52K subscribers

I know I have posted ones like this before but I'll keep on doing it whenever I see it as it's really not advisable.

As I approach I can see the gap between lorry and the car behind so wait in there with a clear hand signal.

At least one other rider has the right idea and goes round the right side of the lorry but the rest of the sheep just blindly filter up the left, some waiting in the blindspot, only to head on straight over the junction.

22 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Aug 16, 2011

1.52K subscribers

I know I have posted ones like this before but I'll keep on doing it whenever I see it as it's really not advisable.

As I approach I can see the gap between lorry and the car behind so wait in there with a clear hand signal.

At least one other rider has the right idea and goes round the right side of the lorry but the rest of the sheep just blindly filter up the left, some waiting in the blindspot, only to head on straight over the junction.

The truck driver was aware of the cyclists. The cyclists were not riding defensively, but many, many cyclists do that.

There was no close call. Everybody started to go from rest. No dangerous momentum worth mentioning. I don't know what is the norm over there, but I would say, locally, almost all drivers would not have ran over the cyclists. There were a few cyclists in the driver's field of view already. I don't see this scenario as high risk.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Aug 16, 2011

1.52K subscribers

??? This is not dangerous at all. There were cyclists already in front of the lorry. The cyclists would have to move first before the lorry could move so everyone filtering from the left was already safe. Also, they can all clearly see it’s still a red light .

On 6/7/2022 at 10:08 PM, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I’ve always lived for danger and embraced it ….I had one of these as a kid …then rode sportbikes for 20 years and now euc’s 🤣 

BAA661F0-C40D-4A36-AAF7-BC63BB5076F5.jpeg

Oh man I remember those. I was so sad when they quit making and selling them to the USA market. I think the one I rode was a small blaster. Of course it wasnt mine, but that was back in the day when I was 8 or 10 or something. It wasnt nothing for 4 us kids to go to the rich kid's house and wear out his toys. Iirc, jeans and tennis shoes were the gear of choice. T-shirts were optional but usually not needed.

49 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh man I remember those. I was so sad when they quit making and selling them to the USA market. I think the one I rode was a small blaster. Of course it wasnt mine, but that was back in the day when I was 8 or 10 or something. It wasnt nothing for 4 us kids to go to the rich kid's house and wear out his toys. Iirc, jeans and tennis shoes were the gear of choice. T-shirts were optional but usually not needed.

Yeah they were awesome I remember riding with my dad and rolling off a cliff on the thing fell like 20 feet and it landed on me .but I was ok 🤣🤣 good times .the damn things were so easy to roll 

Truck driver's blind-spot and cycling

228K views · 7 years ago

britishsafetycouncil
3.1K subscribers

A frightening insight into how drivers of semi-trucks can easily miss cyclists travelling alongside them. Thanks to Mace for making this video available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Yeah they were awesome I remember riding with my dad and rolling off a cliff on the thing fell like 20 feet and it landed on me .but I was ok 🤣🤣 good times .the damn things were so easy to roll 

Fortnine did a video about them.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Paul A said:

Truck driver's blind-spot and cycling

228K views · 7 years ago

britishsafetycouncil
3.1K subscribers

A frightening insight into how drivers of semi-trucks can easily miss cyclists travelling alongside them. Thanks to Mace for making this video available.

Don’t believe that. It’s quite obvious the mirrors are all misaligned on purpose for dramatic effort. Read the comments as well 

The British Safety Council has misaligned the mirrors on purpose for dramatic effort (sic).....

To deceive the public on their warnings regarding the blind spots of trucks, that pose a serious danger/hazard to cyclists/pedestrians?

Diagrams for trucks with driver on right side of cabin.

The blindspot located at the front of the truck incorporates areas that cyclists stopped at an intersection could possibly be in.

Will vary with trucks.

Distance, buffer zone, margin for error, not assuming driver is aware of presence, staying behind, not being alongside anywhere near a truck might be better.

Keep-away-from-the-sides-of-the-truck.jp

51 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Assume their directionals are broken and they can cut you off.

Yes, even with turn signals operating, trucks and cars can be totally negligent and cut off riders, or totally disregard road markings,

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paul A said:

not being alongside anywhere near a truck might be better.

That right there is the one solid bit of advice I would give to new riders/drivers. Unfortunately even the most 'experienced' of riders still can't seem to grasp the concept.

People that sit around on the nearside/offside of ANY vehicle are just asking for trouble.

Not to mention it infuriates truck drivers (as you would expect).

It's one of those rare occasions where dawdling is less safe than just getting on it and getting the hell out of the vicinity. If theres not enough room in front to blast past then just hang back, behind the back of the vehicle. Being in between for any length of time is simply poking the bear.

• Upvote 2

Yep when I’m riding in town the speed limits are 25 mph and then 35mph so I ride right behind vehicles as if I were riding my motorcycle if I’m hauling ass 40-45 mph and that isn’t fast enough they can pass around me but I’m not riding next to vehicles that’s just asking for someone to turn right into a parking lot or a side street and wipe ya out 

Even with a wrist guard on, YouTuber TTR broke his wrist.

TTR located in the US.

Universal healthcare system would mean the $20k medical/surgical costs would have been free for the patient.

The small cost would have been mandatory for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1