Mango

5 minutes ago, LeGiroquoi said:

I think the market could benefit from a company that would make quality.

The V13 is a well made wheel that also has advanced safety features.

The sales number at EEVEES and smartwheel.ca indicate that the Sherman-S is out selling the V13.

Time will tell whether the V13 was a success or not?

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

This is true until the time when the wheel does a high speed cutout, faceplants the rider, and the rider incurs a big medical bill, that is if the rider does not die first.

90 km/h top speed is in the big league now, where they play for keeps.

isn't this a problem with inmotion too? Inmotion seem to have their fair share of faults. Perhaps you're really trying to comment on build quality which is a different thing; it appears you can have a quality build with design or component / firmware faults too. Inmotion appears to be every bit as dangerous as other brands when they release new models.

Edited by Uras

8 minutes ago, LeGiroquoi said:

Less crappy designs and more bells and whistles

ahh, we're all different. I never want bells and whistles. I want simple and reliable and high torque. For me bells and whistles are just extra stuff to go wrong. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, techyiam said:

The sales number at EEVEES and smartwheel.ca indicate that the Sherman-S is out selling the V13.

Time will tell whether the V13 was a success or not?

The issue is the V13 was released when the Sherman S came out with the new hotness, hydraulic suspension. Why buy something with older style air suspension and a smaller battery when the Sherman S has new tech and more range while at the same time lighter. If the V13 had been released 6 months earlier it would have better sales but releasing at the same time as the Sherman S was a bad call.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GHOSTTE said:

The issue is the V13 was released when the Sherman S came out with the new hotness, hydraulic suspension. Why buy something with older style air suspension and a smaller battery when the Sherman S has new tech and more range while at the same time lighter. If the V13 had been released 6 months earlier it would have better sales but releasing at the same time as the Sherman S was a bad call.

But that is still performance trumping over build quality and safety features, except in this case, it is suspension performance. 

Inmotion is going to lose playing the build quality and safety features cards. What you saying is that the V13 will lose when competing head to head.

The market has spoken.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But that is still performance trumping over build quality and safety features, except in this case, it is suspension performance. 

Inmotion is going to lose playing the build quality and safety features cards. What you saying is that the V13 will lose when competing head to head.

The market has spoken.

Pretty much. Hydraulic suspension is more appealing to anything the V13 offers I'd imagine to a lot of people

2 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Again, higher voltage allows for smaller wiring, less copper, etc. without increasing resistance

This is vaguely correct, however I'm specifically talking about the efficiency of the mosfets, which are higher resistance when rated for higher voltages, thus less efficient on the V13 than previous wheels. They are claiming they are safer because there's much more buffer between the breakdown voltage and the system voltage, but I'm waiting for data on failure rates to back that up. They are higher resistance than equivalent 150V parts.

Edited by chanman

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

I believe one error Inmotion made with the V13 is not giving it 3600Wh battery capacity. 

This is the camp I'm in. After riding it my ONLY gripe (at the time) was that it lacked the battery capacity I was looking for since I like to go for super long rides. For the people who don't need the range of a 3600wh wheel then the V13 would be a great choice IMO.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Paul A said:

IM is wanting to emulate BG, in releasing many models of low quality?

That is a good question. According to Dawn, that was the question discussed between them.

I can only surmise Begode sells a lot of units across their many models.

And Leaper Kim only has the Sherman Max, and now Sherman-S. So, perhaps Begode is more successful than Leaper Kim. 

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I disagree. Not everyone uses the EUC (primary or at all) for group rides. In fact, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of EUC owners use it for daily commute, as last mile transportation (probably not V13 that much for later) or simply for fun on their own or perhaps within family or with friend or two, and will be perfectly happy with the performance, comfort, range and most of all safety of V13 (or basically any other Inmotion wheel). I see no point in Inmotion trying to imitate other EUC makers. The benefit of the competition is that there is EUC type / model for every need or type of use / user.

Just you know, I was specifically addressing the V13.

I don't have access to actual data. Bob ask Dawn this very question, and she deferred the question to Marty. This is the CEO of Inmotion that we are talking about. There is no way he would be putting out feelers regarding range for big fast wheels if he doesn't feel there is a possibility that this could be an important factor.

My own opinion based on what I glean from social media for the US market is that there is a good probability that competitive range is an important factor in how well big fast wheels sell in the US. And the V13 is a big fast wheel.

For anyone struggling with the markings in the picture earlier, the intended marking string is apparently GB098N20M, which does get the hit on the ecodrift page.

Just to put some perspective, the RDS(on) for the JMSH1504AS, the 150V chip in the S22 is roughly half of these chips, but with only 2 in parallel. I'm doing some math now and I think the 7 parallels HGB098N20M actually wins out for lower RDS(on) power consumption, but either way it is a single digit number of watts for even a large amount of current.

1 hour ago, soulson said:

I think a more significant contributor to losses across the transistors in the controller would be the rise and fall times of the FETs

I hadn't considered this, I guess it's somewhat an interesting exercise. I don't know the switching frequency used but we could calculate a percentage of time the fets are actually switching to see if handful of nanoseconds switching are significant. I also wonder if they are always perfectly synchronized to the handful of nanoseconds, if one of the 7 parallels turns on early more of the current goes through that and the others being partially turned on won't matter much.

Edited by chanman

2 hours ago, Mango said:

What we see is a social media echo chamber of performance wheels and Begode products, but the real world is much different.

Geez, they are the real world. They are people who ride test wheels and show us what they choose to ride (and buy) themselves. I'm pretty sure that if they preferred inmotion or whatever that they would be riding them. We see that in their group rides - how random dudes like whatever wheel when they're trying them out. I ride with a pev group once a month or so; out of 9 euc riders only one of them has an inmotion (v11). I ride a ks16x - maybe I have a bias too :(. My choice right now would probably be s22pro or t4 - although I'd prefer to wait till potential issues were sorted. I have no need or desire for a 50kg behemoth where I ride. People like what they like, despite what you think or believe. There seems to be a real inmotion bias in this forum - I don't get it.

Edited by Uras

1 hour ago, soulson said:

If it truly has such poor efficiency, then that waste heat would have to go somewhere. Where's it going?

I think you make a very good point.

The only moving parts in a non-suspension wheel are the wheel bearings and the tire / motor assembly. Regarding range, these items don't factor in significantly plus, it would be the same for another wheel. And for suspension wheels, the suspension movements also don't affect significantly the consumption of battery energy.

What is left is the waste heat generated by the motor, and the components on the controller board, mainly the mosfets.

What other factors can there be to explain the discrepancy of 25%? The batteries themselves? 

Also, Marty has observed that the V13 doesn't run particularly hot, and I read that early on he said, he hasn't heard the fan come on unless the headlights are on.

Edited by techyiam

13 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

I think this would be a real tragedy. Like Kuji and Hsiang say in their videos, this wheel from Inmotion, and Inmotion's stance on quality is crucial for the momentum that EUCs need to gain popularity. Enthusiasts who are speed junkies are not interested in sustainability or longevity. They are just looking for the next adrenaline rush. 

If the CEO of Inmotion is asking this type of questions for feedback, it doesn't look good. The thing is, Inmotion is a business,  not a charity.

13 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

Like Kuji says in his video, I don't want a fire in my home, and I don't want my wheel killing me because of a failure. Wheels that go this fast MUST prioritize quality and safety. We are one horrific crash away from these things being outlawed. 

The Master sold very well. Look at the battery packs, and BMS's. Unbelievably cheap. And no weather proofing. 

But no, when it come time to make a preorder, or purchase, more often than not, the purchaser click on a Begode wheel.

The owner of Rev Rides have said Begode wheels have sold very well in California. Look at the best sellers at Alien Rides.

People talk the talk, but not walk the walk. 

Bottom line. Performance trumps build quality and safety. 

Kingsong did a Gotway and their S22, and it is among the best selling wheels. 

Begode builds a quality wheel, the Hero, and lost miserably. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Bottom line. Performance trumps build quality and safety. 

This might be, but what people really want is all of those things. If the V13 was the fastest in all metrics, it would be the sales winner. 

The interesting thing is that the V13, from a hardware standpoint, is positioned to do all of those things. We are a firmware update away from things being increased on it. 

The wheels that are competing against it are already going to their hardware maxes. There isn't any more room for them to improve without a hardware revision. 

This is not the case for the V13. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

This might be, but what people really want is all of those things. If the V13 was the fastest in all metrics, it would be the sales winner. 

Nope. People will then complain about the price, weight, or both.

6 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

The interesting thing is that the V13, from a hardware standpoint, is positioned to do all of those things. We are a firmware update away from things being increased on it. 

Nope. That would mean Inmotion has to cross over to the Dark Side and relax safety margins. 

Top speed crown is not really a thing, but some people make it so.

Inmotion already has a "safe" top speed of 90 km/h. There aren't that many opportunities to reach those speeds for most owners. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Moreover, Begode will always build something faster in response anyway. Inmotion won't be able to compete. Begode has a 146-volt system waiting in the wings too.

18 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

The wheels that are competing against it are already going to their hardware maxes. There isn't any more room for them to improve without a hardware revision. 

I would speculate that should Inmotion increase the top speed in firmware, Begode would announce a wheel that is faster the next day.

• Upvote 1