So what are you afraid of and do you avoid it?

Thought it may be neat to see what us Euc riders are afraid of. You know, since outsiders tend to think it takes a fearless person to try these, sometimes. So what simple thing are you afraid of? Lets keep it light with the answers, as this is meant to be fun, not some horror story to make every feel badly.

Me, one of the things I'm afraid of is heights. Its a common fear and justified, but it REALLY does slow my brain down and weakens my balance. Do I avoid it? Nah, I'm trying to fly a bedsheet and it scares the holy sh*t out of me. Its hard to enjoy for how scary it is, but I'd enjoy myself less overall, if I didnt keep trying. My fear is irrational, as it doesnt matter if I'm just standing in a tall building. I look down and I begin to loose mental clarity (well, whats left of it). I also have an odd fear of confinement and tight places (soft places dont count) :ph34r:

So, whats got your little nuggets or t*ts in shrink mode? Are you trying to reel in the fear or do you just avoid it? Cutouts don't count as Im sure we all answer yes its a fear/worry and yes we try to avoid them. Falling down is too easy, lets hear something less common, less rational.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

An injury or illness that’s so disabling that it requires around the clock life support to continue on. It doesn’t stop me from enjoying crazy hobbies but the thought scares me. 

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Me, one of the things I'm afraid of is heights. Its a common fear and justified, but it REALLY does slow my brain down and weakens my balance. Do I avoid it? Nah, I'm trying to fly a bedsheet and it scares the holy sh*t out of me.

I keep seeing your comments about a flying bedsheet. Are you speaking about an ultralight/hang glider ? Trust me being scared to a point that it affects your cognizant abilities while piloting will end your hobby in an instant. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Me, one of the things I'm afraid of is heights. Its a common fear and justified, but it REALLY does slow my brain down and weakens my balance.

So that is why you don't like the V11 :w00t2:

I have head there are places that are "fairly" safe in a way.

https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/things-to-do/attractions/skywalk/

skywalk-1.jpg

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So that is why you don't like the V11 :w00t2:

I have head there are places that are "fairly" safe in a way.

https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/things-to-do/attractions/skywalk/

skywalk-1.jpg

Btw, this is in the US, but there is a GW version of this too:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57058247

A man in China was left dangling from a bridge after its glass panels were damaged in high wind.

The man was visiting the 100m-high bridge (330 ft) in the Piyan Mountain, in the north-east of the country, when the incident occurred on Friday.

Several pieces of the glass floor were blown away by winds that reached up to 150km/h (90mph).

_118448907_154c85b8-47e0-4a98-8dd6-37e58

I guess that would put a scare into me too.:shock2:

Sorry @ShanesPlanet You know this is just community love :thumbup::cheers:

I wounder what gfx @Rehab1 can come up with this time :popcorn:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

An injury or illness that’s so disabling that it requires around the clock life support to continue on. It doesn’t stop me from enjoying crazy hobbies but the thought scares me. 

I keep seeing your comments about a flying bedsheet. Are you speaking about an ultralight/hang glider ? Trust me being scared to a point that it affects your cognizant abilities while piloting will end your hobby in an instant. 

I think we all share that fear don't we? I am MUCH less worried about death that what you describe.

Im tyring to fly a paramotor. Same shit but with a chainsaw motor attached. Luckily I just slow and don't freeze.

@Unventor Oddly, I havent much opinion on the v11. Aside from its still too new and my euc dice roll/buy new revision days are behind me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

m tyring to fly a paramotor. Same shit but with a chainsaw motor attached. Luckily I just slow and don't freeze.

Sounds experimental. Would love to see a video. Be careful. I crashed both of my experimental helicopters. No pilot error. Just crappy parts that weren’t rigorously tested. 

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Sounds experimental. Would love to see a video. Be careful. I crashed both of my experimental helicopters. No pilot error. Just crappy parts that weren’t rigorously tested. 

Well, those with no lives and nothing to do, would notice I have my first couple of flights on my channel in FPV. You work too much, more binge watching crap videos is in order. My buddy in the pic is an awesome pilot. His patience is astounding!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I've flown but cant say I officially fly. Theres ZERO open fields here and my motor isnt trustoworthy. Last adventure I traveled 3 hrs to open area (I live in dense forest region) and my buddy had to impromptu land in a field of wheat. Then I had motor lug at wfo JUST at takeoff on a trike. No way in hell i trust it to even try in my area. Its seriously only trees and power lines. I got home and immediately ordered a new atom 80. Either this works this summer and I gain some skill, or I admit defeat and do something else. Motor will be here in a week. I am ansy to go try again, life and summer is wasting away. Honestly, the fear of it all makes this something I want to do, just as much as the insane joy once it happens.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Well, those with no lives and nothing to do, would notice I have my first couple of flights on my channel in FPV. You work too much, more binge watching crap videos is in order. My buddy in the pic is an awesome pilot. His patience is astounding!

That’s awesome! Congrats!:cheers:

You downplayed your experience. From your discussions I pictured you not fully taking flight but just running around on the ground trying to get the nerve to gain altitude. Your way beyond that. :thumbup:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That’s awesome! Congrats!:cheers:

You downplayed your experience. From your discussions I pictured you not fully taking flight but just running around on the ground trying to get the nerve to gain altitude. Your way beyond that. :thumbup:

Well, I consider myself horrible until I'm not. Same with the Euc....I've a ways to go. I think that the rig being 80lbs and me being 130lbs and a weakling, has something to do with it. OR... its that damn pesky helmet getting in my way. Fun stuff even tho I've failed more than succeeded. Thanks!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I first thought that I don’t have any irrational fears. Then I went on a short night ride after a long wheel maintenance day, and realized a fear that is out of proportion: Bad camber turns! If the road is banked to the opposite direction to the turn, if I feel brave I slow down to a crawl, normally much slower even.

Yeah, I know it’s not a kind that this thread is really about, but it’s the one I could think of. I’m sure I have others though, we all do. I’ll have to come back to that when I realize what they are, since going on first dates probably doesn’t count either...

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

My fear?  ......... Crazy women mostly. 

I am not really afraid of the water. I can swim. I love the water  ...... but I don't float. I sink like a rock if I stop swimming. I can put kids floaties on my arms and sit motionless on the bottom of the pool.  When I was young I passed out a lot. I was high energy and could not get enough to eat even though I ate all day. One day when I was 14 years old I was crossing a small river on an old abandoned dam and passed out. .......... It was dark ....... I was on my back looking up. ...... I was holding my breath? .... I could see light waving above? ..... I AM UNDER WATER!!!   I was lucky. I just made my way to the surface and climbed back on the dam. No water in my lungs or anything. I was about 15 feet under water. I don't remember passing out or falling. I just woke up under water. 

My fear is having to save a drowning  person. My time on the surface is very limited. I usually swim under water 

Note: The dam was a small steel dam used to control farm waters. The lower section that stopped water from passing was mostly gone. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

first thought that I don’t have any irrational fears. Then I went on a short night ride after a long wheel maintenance day, and realized a fear that is out of proportion: Bad camber turns! If the road is banked to the opposite direction to the turn, if I feel brave I slow down to a crawl, normally much slower even.

That might not be an irrational fear if the forces are truly asymmetrical, and hence likely to make you crash when you treat left and right turns the same when they are, in reality not.

And the proof is that in countries where people drive on the right side of the road their left side (motorcycle) tire always wears faster than the right side. And in countries that drive on the left side of the road, the tires wear faster on the right side. Since most roads are cambered center crown, it follows more forces are applied through a combination longer and harder asymmetrical turns.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That might not be an irrational fear if the forces are truly asymmetrical, and hence likely to make you crash when you treat left and right turns the same when they are, in reality not.

And the proof is that in countries where people drive on the right side of the road their left side (motorcycle) tire always wears faster than the right side. And in countries that drive on the left side of the road, the tires wear faster on the right side. Since most roads are cambered center crown, it follows more forces are applied through a combination longer and harder asymmetrical turns.

The tire on my 700mile euc has more wear on the left edge than the right. Even on the euc, road drain grade causes it. Probably only applies to those that play on streets most of the time. Same reason we set caster a little bit back on the left front tires of cars in usa (when possible). Rear wheel drive are worse for it.

• Like 1

I’m not at all a fan of heights either, legs go wobbly for some reason. Consequently I fly kites and I DO NOT LEARN TO FLY BEDSHEETS. I did fly an ultralight one time (with a real pilot behind me) and want to fly a gyrocopter for no good reason at all but that’s very unlikely to happen.

Like @RockyTop I can’t float, water doesn’t really bother me except that I turn purple in 5 minutes—no insulation.

I find it very strange that I abhor the sound/feel of squashing bugs. I practice catch and release, not because I’m particularly in tune with nature (the catchees are often released into convenient spider webs), more because I can’t stand the smashing part.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The tax man...

Its not a MAN you fear... it's beast of ungodly power and infant like intelligence. Well founded fear!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...