Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

3 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

hmm, following changelog was for BMS public fw v2.10.
Point 1 was same as in actual changelog.
image.thumb.png.2f31a6cc0f9316299679cda391dfc149.png

Ah yes, I think the list in my post was show all the features of the current BMS fw version (2.14) whereas the first 5 points in the list are the new ones in 2.14.

• Upvote 1

Hay guys you're risking a bricked wheel with 2.14 firmware.  It bricked my old bats and controller.  The new controller I finally got is at 2.22 so the proposed 2.14 isn't even the latest.  -smh-

Meanwhile,  I wanted to share that with my new seat I did an emergency fast stop yesterday thanks to being able to grab the seat to really torque the wheel.  Its the most abrupt stop I've ever done and it worked perfectly.  

12 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Hay guys you're risking a bricked wheel with 2.14 firmware.  It bricked my old bats and controller.  The new controller I finally got is at 2.22 so the proposed 2.14 isn't even the latest.  -smh-

Meanwhile,  I wanted to share that with my new seat I did an emergency fast stop yesterday thanks to being able to grab the seat to really torque the wheel.  Its the most abrupt stop I've ever done and it worked perfectly.  

Many people on telegram upgraded without a problem, is your BMS from the old S20 prototype?

14 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I think you may be confusing the wheel's fw version and the BMS fw version.  It is the BMS version 2.14 that was recently released.  It looks like the new BMS fw version fixes a lot of the issues like proper cell balancing.  Since it isn't being loaded through soft tuner, it seems like it would be a good idea to update the BMS ver to 2 14.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Many people on telegram upgraded without a problem, is your BMS from the old S20 prototype?

No.  The wheel is an old S20 prototype.  But back in July Alien Rides replaced the batteries and controller in July.  I also had the eWheels S22 during July and had tried upgrading their firmware virsions from original (2.10 or 2.11 I think) to 2.19 before returning them.  The new bats/controller I have now working from Alien Rides came with FW V2.22.    PS:  It reports the BMS version is at 2.10.    Maybe @Rollin-on-1 is correct about the update being BMS firmware.  IMHO, it still seems risking to update a working wheel.  :D

Edited by Elliott Reitz

Just now, Elliott Reitz said:

No.  The wheel is an old S20 prototype.  But back in July Alien Rides replaced the batteries and controller in July.  I also had the eWheels S22 during July and had tried upgrading their firmware virsions from original (2.10 or 2.11 I think) to 2.19 before returning them.  The new bats/controller I have now working from Alien Rides came with FW V2.22.  

Ok but I'm a bit confused, you wrote "It bricked my old bats and controller.".

Driver board and BMS have different firmwares, you can flash them separately, 2.14 is the latest production BMS version, 2.22 is latest production driver board version.

So its not Controller Firmware that's being updated but BMS firmware (that wasn't originaly clear above).  OK but still, good luck doing that to a working wheel.  I doubt the benefits outweigh the risks.  Especially since the upgraded items list reads more like controller upgrade items.  Sure the controller and BMS firmware work together too.  So all I can really say is.

I saw my AR S20 prototype wheel brick itself via firmware update (only fixed by new bats/controller).  I saw the eWheels S22 fail to fully charge because of battery cell-voltage missmatch and then fully fail via firmware upgrade (and returned it to eWheels).   So firmware updates do risk bricking your wheel.  

My working AR S20 is running FW 2.22 with BMS 2.10. 

29 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

So its not Controller Firmware that's being updated but BMS firmware (that wasn't originaly clear above).  OK but still, good luck doing that to a working wheel.  I doubt the benefits outweigh the risks.  Especially since the upgraded items list reads more like controller upgrade items.  Sure the controller and BMS firmware work together too.  So all I can really say is.

I saw my AR S20 prototype wheel brick itself via firmware update (only fixed by new bats/controller).  I saw the eWheels S22 fail to fully charge because of battery cell-voltage missmatch and then fully fail via firmware upgrade (and returned it to eWheels).   So firmware updates do risk bricking your wheel.  

My working AR S20 is running FW 2.22 with BMS 2.10. 

It improves balancing of the cells so pretty good update overall.

I still don't understand what original parts remains of your S20 prototype, if you are trying to update that S20 motherboard & BMS with S22 updates there could be potential problems I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

It improves balancing of the cells so pretty good update overall.

I still don't understand what original parts remains of your S20 prototype, if you are trying to update that S20 motherboard & BMS with S22 updates there could be potential problems I guess.

My working AR S20 / S22 is an original prototype with replacement batteries and motherboard that were new mid summer (July 2022). Those have V2.22 FW and V2.10 BMS.  I'm still not willing to risk a working wheel to upgrade firmware until its either winter or I get the 2nd S22 eWheels owes me (pending their motor issue resolution).  

I see Alienrides has this wheel available in stock, anyone buy from them recently and know what batch or revisions are on the model being sold? Is this wheel acceptable to buy or are there still a lot of issues with this wheel?

I backed out of my pre-order after waiting a full year... I didn't think it was ready enough for me. I don't mind working on my wheels, and I had fully expected first batch issues but once the motor thing cropped up it was one thing too many. Besides, trail riding season is nearly over.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in cancelling, and would bet that's why they're in stock.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe S22 has a ton of promise and come spring I may well be following a boat across the ocean anxiously awaiting my oompaloompa. But because of winter I won't be riding trails for a while, so it's a good time to let KS work through the issues.

(meantime I'm spiffing up the S18 with Molicel batteries and a 1500 mile suspension teardown—it could do with a handful of replacement bearings and a few strategically located spacers but it always worked really well. It took almost a year for KS to get most of the S18s to work properly out of the box but they're pretty good these days—S22 will get there, but it's not there yet)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I backed out of my pre-order after waiting a full year...

If you don't mind my asking, if you have cancelled your S22 order, then what are two other wheels that you own? There are the three wheels listed in your profile, a Sherman that you want to sell, but you said you have 6 wheels in another thread.

13 minutes ago, techyiam said:

what are two other wheels that you own?

I hope I said 5... I won the Marky Mark lottery so I also have a 16X. Sherman, 16X, 16XS.LR, S18 and MTen3. Come spring one of the 16" will be for sale (unless someone wants one of them now). If I get an S22, I'll probably part with the S18 as that was the original plan... don't really *need* more than three wheels. But then again, I'm a 'merikin... need has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CyberV0LT said:

I see Alienrides has this wheel available in stock, anyone buy from them recently and know what batch or revisions are on the model being sold? Is this wheel acceptable to buy or are there still a lot of issues with this wheel?

I'd trust AlienRides and "available stock".  And as far as buying wheels I'm coming to the perspective that its worth buying "in stock" wheels rather than this pre-order backlog BS that's been going on and got impacted by China-0 policy lock downs.  The waiting periods have become unpredictable.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mrd777 said:

Hey folks just need a confirmation on the charging ports on the S22,       The charger should have GX16-6 pin. 123 + , 456 -   CORRECT?

thanks

Is this correct?  I guess I will find out in a couple days when my order arrives.  :D

So my 3 screws each side make the wheel almost drop out except for a very small interference with the battery covers (those can be trimmed).  The wire doesn't disconnect because the grommet has a screw under the case mount (that can be omitted).  Anyway, its sorta necessary to disconnect the shock and/or linkage to move the sliders for slider cleaning.  And wow the old grease in there was like glue.  Scraped and cleaned its still not a free and easy slide action.

Edited by Elliott Reitz

2 hours ago, NErider said:

It's not fully free and smooth, but it is probably the friction of the rubber bump stops, or possibly some binding due to the geometry. 

Personally, if it slid like that on day 1 from the factory,  I would never think to complain. 

Yea, it came with a green grease on the sliders.  That worked fine till the first ride with sandy dusty trails that turned it into a sort of glue.  Those rubber bushings above the sliders all stuck.  The pair in the back only move with a screwdriver (stuck high, broke off from sliders).  The pair in the front pried out.

Edited by Elliott Reitz