Need Help Deciding on First EUC

Hello! I'm looking to pick up my first EUC and transitioning over form a OneWheel XR. I'm looking for something around the $2k mark or less and something that I can grow into and can hit around the 30mph/50kmph mark vs something that I will learn on and then be looking to upgrade in a couple months. Most of the people in my area seem to be riding Gotway RS/MSP, at least the ones I see the most in the group rides it. So far I think I have it narrowed down to the following:

Gotway RS19 - High Speed - I was almost certain this would be my first wheel but I'll be honest the recent reports of fires have be a bit spooked from picking up a Gotway/Begode wheel. This wheel seems like it has the most room to grow but  from what I've been reading, aside from the fires, Gotway isn't known for the best fit/finish/QC out there. Should I be concerned about this or would this still be a good choice?

Inmotion V11 - This one is a recent add to my list. It looks promising and like a nice comfortable ride but would the height be too unstable to learn on? I like that it can hit 34mph at above 80% and then isn't throttled below 30mph until about 30% (someone correct me if that's not right). It also seems like Inmotion has the best fit/finish, app, and support of the three major brands, which is comforting. I also like the creature comforts on this one (better headlight/kickstand/suspension).

Kingsong 16X - This seems like a good all around wheel but my big concern is that I would outgrow it once I get comfortable. I love the look of it and some of the features that it has but am concerned about how early Kingsong throttles the speed. It seems like hitting 30mph on this one would only be in a burst and with almost full battery. Also concerned about keeping up with everyone on a group ride but that could all be in my head. It also seems like brand new there are better wheels for the same, or very close to the same, price as this one. 

I'm open to other suggestions, too. I know the Gotway Nikola+ is rated well but I don't really dig the styling on that one if I'm being honest. Any other insight is very much appreciated and I'm really excited to get a wheel and start learning. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 11:08 AM, StrangrDangr25 said:

Hello! I'm looking to pick up my first EUC and transitioning over form a OneWheel XR. I'm looking for something around the $2k mark or less and something that I can grow into and can hit around the 30mph/50kmph mark vs something that I will learn on and then be looking to upgrade in a couple months.

I just transitioned from Onewheel XR (still ride it) to InMotion V11. I am very happy with the decision so far.

Pedal height didn't have a huge impact in learning how to ride. The biggest piece of the puzzle for myself during the initial learning curve is actually foot placement and turning. I still have to master low-speed control, but ok at-speed. The way the wheel tilts as you go from a flat to uphill fast will take some time to get used to. Overall, I am really enjoying the increased range, speed and comfort. The longest I rode 43 miles and still have a little bit of battery left, nearly 3.5x the mileage I can get from a Onewheel.

The wheels you are considering are great. Some may prefer starting with a non-suspension wheel like the 16X and RS19 High-speed. You will need to spend more to get a wheel that will consistently do faster than 30 regardless of state of charge. That way you have some buffer from faceplant.

• Like 2

I forgot to add one thing. You can use EUC World (Android) or Darknessbot (iPhone) instead of the stock app for the wheel you choose. My phone didn't like the InMotion app when I tried to ride it for the first time. Been using EUC World ever since. Smartwatch support is nice too.

I actually just received my V11 yesterday. I feel like this one will leave me room to grow and room to add another wheel to the stable like an RS, once GW gets their QC stuff sorted out. or by the time I'm ready to add another wheel maybe a Sherman, who knows. Thanks for the tip on Darknessbot, the Inmotion app was ok and I was able to update the firmware but I can see where it is lacking some things. How long did it take you to get somewhat comfortable on the V11? I'm going to get mine all set up this weekend and give it a try just getting on the damn thing and moving a bit around the garage to see how it goes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StrangrDangr25 said:

I actually just received my V11 yesterday. I feel like this one will leave me room to grow and room to add another wheel to the stable like an RS, once GW gets their QC stuff sorted out. or by the time I'm ready to add another wheel maybe a Sherman, who knows. Thanks for the tip on Darknessbot, the Inmotion app was ok and I was able to update the firmware but I can see where it is lacking some things. How long did it take you to get somewhat comfortable on the V11? I'm going to get mine all set up this weekend and give it a try just getting on the damn thing and moving a bit around the garage to see how it goes. 

Congratulations on your V11!

I didn't start going places until my 10th hour (3rd day), may have taken a couple hours less if I know sandwiching the wheel your foot gives very little to no control. As long as you don't mind the learning curve and dropping the wheel, you will pick it up.

Quick tips that will help:

1. Master Standing-Half and Full Circle (doesn't need to be silky smooth)
  2. Mounting on your own does take time to get right
  3. Get on smooth and swiftly. Keep back straight

There is nothing wrong to get a taste of being on a EUC and learn to do half/full circle in your own garage, but something like a small outdoor basketball court is much better because you have a fence/wall as your crutches and move around later. I learned in a multi-storey parking garage that is empty on my own that has no long wall or pole, so it kind of sucked. That may force one to learn faster depending on the person. Once I'm able to ride around the floor I started going up and down the garage.

I don't know how to do any of the advanced stuff yet (like jumping). By the 4th day I started going somewhere far and rode from full until battery almost run out by the 5th day.

chain fences make very bad walls to learn on. I agree with the rest however. You may find it tough to fathom, but it took me 2 weeks to be able to ride somewhat safely and with control in start/stop. It took a while even longer to be able to ride backwards and not think about it. Of course, i was riding to tiltback and ignoring what I couldnt do, within hours. It always amazes me when you guys learn to safely ride a wheel in mere hours. I envy you that for sure. Maybe California smog makes for a REALLY fast learning curve? NYC seems similar.

Good stuff hearing so many new riders enjoy the wheels. DO it now, before the glorious days of being in the shadows are gone!

• Like 1

What helpted most for me ,is try to hold the balance standing almost still on the wheel  ,rocking the wheel slight back n forth trying to keep the balance. That helped alot on getting the balance going. After that i let go of the Wall n started to ride.:cheers: And play with feet placement...one gets the centre on the feets on multiple You tube vids... disagree  with that :blink1: the feets further forward on the foot pads ,it takes less movment to Get movment going. I think that held me back looking at the vids saying centre on the feets .... -_- 

Edited by xSAMCOx
  • Like 1

I’d add, once you manage to hold on the EUC you don’t need to stress with turns right away, just get some distance under the belt and it will build up confidence and muscle memory. When attacking turns you won’t be so hesitant.

Whatever works for you though :)

• Like 2

I just learned, big ole fat dood at 275 lbs.  I watched ALL the youtube videos and some good pointers from all.  I was able to ride crudely in about an hour, but I am very adept at balancing sports.  Younger days I rode skateboards, inline skates, snowboard, ski, mtb bikes, bmx bikes, motorcycles.

After 3 days I'm doing pretty darn good now.  I feel confident carving at high speeds, slow speed is where I need work LoL.  I laid my v11 down 3 times learning, once kickstand got me, other two were very low speed gentle falls.

• Half moon exercises never really did anything for me, I couldn't do them then and still can't now.  I don't like the feeling of the sideways pressure on my knee and hips of supporting the weight of the EUC like that.  I am working on building a tolerance, just don't think you can't ride if this feels weird to you.
  • I used a fence for getting my bearings, until I got up the nerve to try 3-foot gaps of not holding on.  Increased to 10 foot gaps.  Until I got up the nerve to just start heading out without the fence at all.
  • It's like riding a bike, counter steering with acceleration helps to keep balance.  Just like learning to ride a bike moderate speed actually helps.  Going slow is much harder for me.
  • Because I don't like the sideways pressure on my knee and hips, I have an odd way of mounting.  I grab the top of my v11 which sits high, and use my arm for leverage while I get my other foot on.  Once my legs build up tolerance I want to be able to start without holding on to the top.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

chain fences make very bad walls to learn on. I agree with the rest however. You may find it tough to fathom, but it took me 2 weeks to be able to ride somewhat safely and with control in start/stop. It took a while even longer to be able to ride backwards and not think about it. Of course, i was riding to tiltback and ignoring what I couldnt do, within hours. It always amazes me when you guys learn to safely ride a wheel in mere hours. I envy you that for sure. Maybe California smog makes for a REALLY fast learning curve? NYC seems similar.

Good stuff hearing so many new riders enjoy the wheels. DO it now, before the glorious days of being in the shadows are gone!

Love that quote "DO it now, before the glorious days of being in the shadows are gone!"

I pulled the trigger and bought one, the wife was initially pissed, but I think she now sees how much fun it is and is supportive.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I don't like the feeling of the sideways pressure on my knee and hips of supporting the weight of the EUC like that.

You do know you need to angle the EUC away from the side you're standing on, right? And one can affect the amount of pressure on your leg by changing/playing with this angle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AtlasP said:

You do know you need to angle the EUC away from the side you're standing on, right? And one can affect the amount of pressure on your leg by changing/playing with this angle.

yeah, I saw that in a @evX_Mick vid he made.  There are some angles that feel better, but none that feel 100% comfy.  I'm old with lots of war injuries I'm sure I'm a special case :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Sam said:

yeah, I saw that in a @evX_Mick vid he made.  There are some angles that feel better, but none that feel 100% comfy.  I'm old with lots of war injuries I'm sure I'm a special case :D

You aint special. well, maybe OLYMPICS special. Even after a year and many miles, my knee gets sore. Its typically the knee that is ON the wheel, not the one that is on the ground. Heavier wheels are more particular about angle and being more careful. However, even my little mten aggravates the knee arthritis if I start and stop a lot in quick succession. Probably just a part of being either old or out of shape or both. Technique minimizes it, but aside from hardly ever stopping, its still a tiny bother. Don't worry tho, as bad as it hurts now, it will likely lessen as you get better and condition more for it. Just be ready, if you take extended breaks and go back to it. It helps to lay the wheel down instead of half-standing  on it for long periods too. Best solution is just keep going. Hell, we didnt buy these things to just stand there and look dorky.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Can't speak for @ShanesPlanet but standing looking dorky (with that slightly mysterious/dangerous power ranger vibe) on a single wheel is part of the appeal for me! Maybe not so much the power ranger part, but I'm too old to break things anymore so it's part of the deal.

Be sure to practice mounting with both your dominant and non-dominante legs. It divides the strain, and is a valuable skill because it forces the muscles on both sides to learn balance.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Just messed around for a few min on my lunch break....this is not going to be easy. Tried getting the hang of half circles and just mounting while holding on to something, and it's not easy. Will try to get out to the empty parking garage at my work this weekend and play around. 

• Like 1

Its not easy. At all.

Just try and remember how hard it was to ride a bicycle. You probably cant, but trust me, it was hard. And that was when you were young, fit, and had no fear.

We'll hear from you again in a few months when you are doing 40mph without even thinking about it ;)

• Like 3

(This is truly not directed at anyone in particular and is just a response to a broader sentiment I'm tired of seeing over and over again.)

I will never understand the sentiment that "I can't get it immediately so therefore it's hard". Anything you can learn in a few days/less than a week isn't hard/must not be hard. It may not be instantaneous, but that doesn't make it hard. Things that are hard take weeks/months/years of study. Learning to ride an EUC in 3 days isn't hard, no matter how you "feel" about it at the time. Just get on and try again, and keeping doing so, and in a couple days it'll be over and you'll have an awesome new skill. :)

(Same thing when people say/ask "that's awesome, how long does it take to learn?" and I say "I could teach you in 2-3 days of no more than 20-30 mins/day" and they act like that's a crazy time investment. Really? To learn to do such an awesome thing in a few days/less than 60-90 minutes? They're going to waste more time than that on their phone reading social media/playing candy crush/doing whatever other nonsense just in the next 2-3 days with absolutely nothing to show for it.)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangrDangr25 said:

for a few min

short (< 1hr) sessions are best when starting out. The muscles involved require training and they start out weak. Train them when they're rested and they'll remember better. It's a weird skill to learn... like riding a bike or learning to walk. Both demand muscle memory and tone!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

"I can't get it immediately so therefore it's hard"

and sadly, that mindset limits what you try. On the flip side; if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.

I'm so glad this isn't skydiving.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

(This is truly not directed at anyone in particular and is just a response to a broader sentiment I'm tired of seeing over and over again.)

I will never understand the sentiment that "I can't get it immediately so therefore it's hard". Anything you can learn in a few days/less than a week isn't hard/must not be hard. It may not be instantaneous, but that doesn't make it hard. Things that are hard take weeks/months/years of study. Learning to ride a bicycle or EUC in 3 days isn't hard, no matter how you "feel" about it at the time. Just get on and try again, and keeping doing so, and in a couple days it'll be over and you'll have an awesome new skill. :)

(Same thing when people say/ask "that's awesome, how long does it take to learn?" and I say "I could teach you in less than 30 minutes/day spread across 2-3 days" and they act like that's a crazy time investment. Really? To learn to do such an awesome thing in a few days/less than 90 minutes? You're going to waste more time than that on your phone reading social media/playing farmville/whatever just in the next 2-3 days with absolutely nothing to show for it.)

Oh I had no doubt it would be hard. I was hopeful that coming from a Onewheel would give me a little advantage but it doesn't seem like it, seems like a totally different feeling. I think it's deceptive because watching videos of everyone you guys make it look so easy/effortless, then you get humbled pretty quick trying to jump on and go haha. I'll be dedicating some time this weekend to training and actually working on getting the feeling of how the wheel works instead of just trying to jump on and go. 

• Like 1

@StrangrDangr25You're watching the wrong videos.B) Some  earlier vids in my link (recent too) show you how a doofus rides and doesnt make it look easy. Damn pros are good, but they are also good at editting. I too figured it would be 'easier' as I've learned many other things like bikes and skates and boards yada yada. I had a regualr unicycle back in the 90's too. I was surprised to find that it is quite different than any of those things. It also uses new muscle groups in ways not common. I was at least 10-14days of, 1/2 hour -45 minute days, before I could ride around very well at all. Just long enough for the bruises on my inner legs to start fading to yellow. @Tawpie is right. Short sessions each day and keep at it. Its more like lean muscle training or cardio, vs heavy lifting. YOu will also find that you GAIN something as you sleep. I dont know if its merely energy, courage, or time for your brain to categorize wtf just happened.  My opinion is that it IS harder than everyone makes it out to be. Of course 'harder' is not definitive, so there's no point in arguing it. I think the balance and risk level is not something EVERYONE could do. I know, others will claim that ANYONE can learn it if they try hard enough. I just have to laugh as they must not know my wife.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am also trying to decide which wheel to get. Didin’t know about Gotway/Begode electrical problems. Do you have a link?

I need a wheel that I can ride in offroad trails and also a couple km to work and back. Don’t know if suspension is needed. I rather have a wheel that doesn’t have extra parts that can break. 

30 minutes ago, Namuhan said:

I am also trying to decide which wheel to get. Didin’t know about Gotway/Begode electrical problems. Do you have a link?

I need a wheel that I can ride in offroad trails and also a couple km to work and back. Don’t know if suspension is needed. I rather have a wheel that doesn’t have extra parts that can break. 

I too wasn't aware that all GW/BG wheels have electrical problems. There has been a few (as counted in less than one hand) incidences of electrical fires recently but that has been mainly focused on the new Monster Pro. Far's mobo failures, I believe that's often shared by all makes.

As for your request for a recco on a wheel for offroad trails & commutes, the GW MSX/P have been widely used & seems to be a favorite of many YT content creators. The RS/EX series with the hollow bore motors however seem to have more of an issue with the new bearings rusting, misaligning & making various noises.

Other makes have their all rounder wheel as well eg. KS16x & the new S18. However the S18 has its share of issues as well. Inmotion has the V11 & there has also been incidents of bearing failures too.

I don't know of any wheel that doesn't have parts that won't break esp upon crashes. That said, if I wanted a non suspension wheel that is good for offroad, I'd find myself an MSX or MSP. Sure they aren't perfect & have their issues but then so does every other wheel on the market. GW/BG are often criticised for their less than stellar build quality (for good reason I might add) but their simplicity also has its positives. The MSX/P shell is somewhat less sturdy than most would like but then that is also easily compensated with aftermarket or diy bumpers. Its popularity ensures there's lots of aftermarket addons to enhance its performance.

But the main reason I would choose it is for its ease of maintenance. For better or worse, it takes no time to disassemble & is IMO the easiest/fastest wheel to do a tire/tube replacement. It's also the wheel with the most tried&true tire options as well. This is what I would choose if I wanted a non suspended offroad wheel.

For suspended wheels, there's the S18, V11 & EX. Personally I have the S18 & while IME, the QC could do with a makeover, its has survived innumerable dumps (incl a 3ft+ drop from the worktable while doing a griptape change) so much so the rear bumper has gone the way of the dodo bird & one of the front plastic panels is being partially attached via duct tape. & the rubber ports cover won't fit properly. However it still turns on & works as intended so there's that.

As usual YMMV ofcos

• Like 1