18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)

RagingGrandpa

btw, i'm sure the michelin city grip 2 in 90/90 r14 will be fine once i get back range of motion in my right knee.

i'm not looking at my legs when i'm riding or thinking about them, but obviously my legs do alot on balancing the wheel in a turn, just like a motorcycle. 

more fyi.

in case ur too lazy too read. good article.

Gene Romero was able to set pole at Daytona in 1970 while using higher-than-normal tire-inflation pressure to reduce rolling friction. That’s racing, where tire life may be as little as 60 miles and tire technicians are never far away.

https://www.cycleworld.com/almost-everything-you-need-to-know-about-motorcycle-tire-pressures/

Edited by novazeus

tire changer noob here, but i didn't use bead sealent on my s22's.  i just used the tire lube stuff and they seated perfectly. had to strap the tire because they are tubeless to inflate them.

why is leaperkim using bead sealant? just asking.

Just now, techyiam said:

On my Abrams, without tire bead sealant, it would leak.

so, on the s22, the rim works, but idk about the v13's. mine was mounted with a leaking innertube by the dealer. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so, on the s22, the rim works, but idk about the v13's. mine was mounted with a leaking innertube by the dealer. 

Good to know that tubeless works on the S22 without tire bead sealer.

26 minutes ago, null said:

The Sherman is a tubed EUC so IDK about sealant. Maybe they had figured out the tire could move and sealant could help hold it in place? Or it is not sealant but gunk from whatever product was used to install it. (I never heard of sealant on Sherman OGs)

edit: Could bead sealer help hold the tire in place? Does it have any sort of grip?

I've been putting some layers of tape on the rim shoulders of the Shermie but I'm afraid the sliding action is in diagonal and that it won't help, except maybe making it slide easier.

from jason's post on the lynx. they are using bead sealer. i didn't on the s22 and evidently not necessary. see his inspection report.

• Upvote 1

i know this is probably a bridge too far, but since tire regulations are as they are, i suggest final assembly in the regions with different tire availabilty. 

that's what is happening in reality for some of us anyway, except the customer is doing final assembly and troubleshooting. i long for the days when people just did their jobs the best they could.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/chinas-tire-exports-united-states-face-major-crisis-meer-hamza

Edited by novazeus

10 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

What's wrong with using a tube?

Nothing, really, which doesn't imply that tubeless has zero advantages :D 2.45kg sounds kinda heavy.

Edited by Mono

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2024 at 5:07 AM, Jason McNeil said:

While there's loads of street/slick tire options in this size, the Chinese tire suppliers lack a 20x3"/18x3" [80/90-14"] tubeless knobby. I'm working on having one produced, through Yuanxing, e.g. paying for a custom mould, for all the 20x3"/18x3" Wheels. With the CNY holiday coming up, these will be arriving around mid-March. The tire's weight will be 2.45kg. 

Will have the details on the expected tread-life & ply count a bit later. 

Any updates / info on speed rating, load rating, and max PSI?