18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)

RagingGrandpa

On 6/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

City Pro 80/90-14 didn't fit my MSX... too wide, lots of rub in lots of places, and I would have to shave the tire an unsafe amount to clear the shell :(

Should be fine for Sherman. (And maybe EX.N?)

Width was about 3.060" when mounted and inflated.

ACtC-3cmzkDUJFEJN6983JX23MYs3Ou8KNkcqWt7L5EsbcEVvXb0RLYFlpaD5PugFpnub2FUkH7UJDVhV-Cw0SOA43d0D6RgaojDIlVNSJ8vBNSet9RRQC-LmJ-DskKOHfdmZCQzH-coJaFm9PpLqCJVwHmUYQ=w1284-h1274-no?authuser=0

vs H5102 which is 2.720"

ACtC-3fWDZszdINZ-V_f1K4YntjS_mpO_lOEIMVuQLT25zg0pRGGVuQIGLx98EquKtLJWkRnH9FdV7Cz7wbMzd2viH7Au0AEEkrIC98VEi60orQjrGZYOjYxSU-sDkn-3jxaIUU-qBOkff8ybdY7Pno7zyKKSQ=w1154-h1274-no?authuser=0

So what did you end up doing @RagingGrandpa? would the 70/90-14 still be an option for the MSX?

Edited by carlitos
Mention OP

6 minutes ago, carlitos said:

would the 70/90-14 still be an option for the MSX?

Yes. Others have been successful with City Pro 70/90-14 on MSX & MSP.

I'll do it myself soon... after I wear out another old H5102.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:41 AM, DjPanJan said:

Finally the work is done and the beauty is on "MSP" spinning perfectly no oscillations or vibrations. No rubbing one leg ride perfect.

0nPStyh.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got hold of an 80/90-14 Michelin City Pro (tubed type) to try and compare it to the Michelin Pilot Sport (tubelessĀ type) I already had (both same size). I was expecting the City Pro to be more compliant in its carcass due to being tubed but my highly scientific (bench test squeezing here and there with my hands) seems to suggest they are very similar.

The Pilot comes in at 2.35kg, the City Pro at 2.22kg, so very little difference between them in weight.

So, a little surprised. I was hoping the City Pro would be noticeably more compliant than the Pilot but I am not sure if this would be the case. I havent fitted either yet, the stock knobby is still performing well so I am reluctant to swop it out especially as its a fair bit more hassle on the Sherman than on an MSX for example.

The Pilot looks the nuts with its slick type tread and I am sure it will grip like hell on smooth asphalt. The City Pro is a good 'all rounder' I would think. But the stock knobby just works so well in all terrain I am really on the fence whether to fit either of the Michelins just to try themĀ out. Either or both could be worse, but likewise either could be better. My concern is that I dont wantĀ to lose compliance and these MC tyres are usually much stiffer than bike tyres. I was hoping the City Pro would be squisher than I found.

All that said, I havent had the knobby off the wheel and in myĀ hands to compare it.

I do about 80% road which is why I have been tempted by the slicker MC tyres but its really nice to know theres a knobby beneath you when you venture on the trails/off road, and like I say the knobby behaves far better than I thought it would on asphalt.

Dunno where I am going with this postĀ really, just thought I would air my views. Still undecided what to do!

72220211744.thumb.jpg.7025c185e36854bd1a44f61ab16dc4ca.jpg

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I recently got hold of an 80/90-14 Michelin City Pro (tubed type) to try and compare it to the Michelin Pilot Sport (tubelessĀ type) I already had (both same size). I was expecting the City Pro to be more compliant in its carcass due to being tubed but my highly scientific (bench test squeezing here and there with my hands) seems to suggest they are very similar.

The Pilot comes in at 2.35kg, the City Pro at 2.22kg, so very little difference between them in weight.

So, a little surprised. I was hoping the City Pro would be noticeably more compliant than the Pilot but I am not sure if this would be the case. I havent fitted either yet, the stock knobby is still performing well so I am reluctant to swop it out especially as its a fair bit more hassle on the Sherman than on an MSX for example.

The Pilot looks the nuts with its slick type tread and I am sure it will grip like hell on smooth asphalt. The City Pro is a good 'all rounder' I would think. But the stock knobby just works so well in all terrain I am really on the fence whether to fit either of the Michelins just to try themĀ out. Either or both could be worse, but likewise either could be better. My concern is that I dont wantĀ to lose compliance and these MC tyres are usually much stiffer than bike tyres. I was hoping the City Pro would be squisher than I found.

All that said, I havent had the knobby off the wheel and in myĀ hands to compare it.

I do about 80% road which is why I have been tempted by the slicker MC tyres but its really nice to know theres a knobby beneath you when you venture on the trails/off road, and like I say the knobby behaves far better than I thought it would on asphalt.

Dunno where I am going with this postĀ really, just thought I would air my views. Still undecided what to do!

72220211744.thumb.jpg.7025c185e36854bd1a44f61ab16dc4ca.jpg

That one on the left looks like an old pirelli I used to run on my cbr1100. Awesome wet/dry traction but it began to cup quickly. I doubt the euc will have that issue. You gotta mount one and try it. The lack of tire noise will creep you at at first. I also was worried about a REAL tire being too stiff, in compare to these toy tires the euc comes with. I mean hell, they weigh a lot more. DOnt worry about it. My pirelli is a little stiffer, but it handles bumps now with authority. No extra bounce, no harsh smack, nothing bad at all. IN fact, I'm finding the REAL tires to settle faster after a bump and act in a more controlled manner. I did like my offroad tire on the sherm, but my angel is much better. Im 90% street. I havent noticed much loss in traction on normal dirt and basic gravel, but definitely a lot more slick in wet grass...

• Like 3

Cheers for your thoughts Shane. Like you say, the only way to get a proper answer to thisĀ is to try it. Its just a pain in the ass if I dont like itĀ and have to swop back again. As you know, a tyre change on the Shermie isnt trivial.

I am also slightly reluctant to faff about because I tried the Pilot on my MSX and didnt like it so swopped back to the original 5102. The Pilot felt far harsher and muchĀ more like riding 'on a knife edge' but that is likely to be because the skinny MSX rim is much too skinny for an 80/90 tyre IMO. And lets not forget the 5102 is a VERY pliable carcass.

The Sherman may beĀ far better, given its much wider rim and the possibility that the stock knobby may be just as stiff as the MC tyres anyway. I dont know, like I say I havent had one in my hands off the wheel. Nor do I know how much the knobby weighs, which is a good indication of its carcass stiffness. You havent happened to weigh the knobby at any point have you?

no, sorry I didnt weigh it. I would suspect its much more pliable than your scooter/mc tires. It may say on the side, how many plies it is. Mines back here somewhere, but still mounted and aired up on the older v1 rim. I found the knobby to be a VERY compliant ride, super stable. In contrast, the tubeless type pirelli is less pliable and has a more predictable lean profile. Just a little more twitchy, but how my sherm was a little on the 'understeer side' (to put mildly), the twitch was nice. I do know it rolls with less resistance as accel is easier. I was happily surprised that the harder/thicker pirelli wasnt a step down when it comes to bump mitigation. Lets see if I can explain better...

The offroad at lower pressure is like punching on a balloon. It takes it with ease and bounces back like you would suspect.

My pirelli seems more like a squish ball. Punch it and it kinds sucks up the hit. The hit itself if a little harder, but way less rebound. Hopefully it makes sense. Anyway, the only way to know is to try. I get your reluctance tho. if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Fwiw, im running same pressures now as I did with stock. MAYBE Im up to a whopping 25psi atm for shits and giggles. I've been edging my pressures up on all my wheels lately. Probably just me getting lazier and not wanting to need use so much user inputs.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My pirelli seems more like a squish ball. Punch it and it kinds sucks up the hit. The hit itself if a little harder, but way less rebound. Hopefully it makes sense. Anyway, the only way to know is to try. I get your reluctance tho. if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Yeah I understand mate. You get more of a 'thud' with the MC tyres but less of an after-effect. Similar to running more compression/rebound damping on shocksĀ by the sounds of it.

Another reason for wanting to keep compliance on the Sherman is that I dont want to poke the bear re the shitty rims. Upping harshness means upping stress to the rim. I shouldnt have to worry about this crap but it is what it is.

For sure, the knobby aint broke but I am a sucker for decent rubber and fancy fat tread patterns lol.

Ā 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 5:08 AM, EMA said:

finally mounted Heidenau k66 on my wheel, really love this tire, solid structure and nice grip.

Nice, I have about 250miles on theĀ k66 on my exn. Much better ride on all terrain and improved grip all around.

• Like 2

Installed the IRC N77 80/90-14 on my original MSX. Having tire rubbing issues on the side somewhere, but there is quite a bit of wobble to the tire. Trying to get it centered on the rim is proving to be difficult (for someone who's never done it before). Not entirely sure my rim is straight either. Plenty of clearance on top. Tire is stiff right now but I'm sure it will soften up as I break it in. I just posted pictures in the reviews, so look for pictures there. Coming from 6500 miles on a H666. Hoping this tire comes close. I've had 2-3 endorsements for this tire but haven't read any documentation on it. Hopefully it will last me until Ewheels can get those 1,000 H666 on order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002306DCE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_E3RA6C1BTYZ4MY3Z2PT8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1Ā 

55 minutes ago, FlyboyEUC said:

Installed the IRC N77 80/90-14 on my original MSX. Having tire rubbing issues on the side somewhere, but there is quite a bit of wobble to the tire. Trying to get it centered on the rim is proving to be difficult (for someone who's never done it before). Not entirely sure my rim is straight either. Plenty of clearance on top. Tire is stiff right now but I'm sure it will soften up as I break it in. I just posted pictures in the reviews, so look for pictures there. Coming from 6500 miles on a H666. Hoping this tire comes close. I've had 2-3 endorsements for this tire but haven't read any documentation on it. Hopefully it will last me until Ewheels can get those 1,000 H666 on order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002306DCE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_E3RA6C1BTYZ4MY3Z2PT8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1Ā 

Thats a mean looking tyre, tubed type too. I don't suppose you weighed it before fitting did you?

I'm not surprised that an 80 widthĀ rubs on an MSX, my Pilot did the same, quite badly. I would advise a 70 width for the MSX.

Can check the straightness of the rim by simply holding an edge to the rim whilst turning the wheel. Even an old plastic ruler will do.

Edit:Ā just seen that Amazon list it at 4.79lbs (2.17Kg), so pretty close to the Michelin City Pro (tubed type).

Edited by Planemo

On 9/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, Planemo said:

I'm not surprised that an 80 widthĀ rubs on an MSX, my Pilot did the same, quite badly. I would advise a 70 width for the MSX.

Some other have this size on their's though. There is plenty of gap in the front. But in the back the tire seems to hug one side.

Edited by FlyboyEUC

Ā 

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Yeah some manufacturers of tyres do come upĀ thinner than others, all depends. On the whole though, I think an 80 is generally too wide for the msx shell. Fine on the Sherman though for example.

agree, msx and msp shell is a bit tight compared to newer 18 wheels ( rs sherman exn ex )

Thanks. I ended up pulling the tire off. I'll hang onto it for my next wheel. But I did get confirmation that a shipment of 1000 H666 18x3 tires will be delivered to Ewheels in 6 weeks should there be no shipping delays. Looks like my h666 will need to take me another 1200 miles or so until the new one comes in.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 1:07 AM, Mayhem said:

Nice, I have about 250miles on theĀ k66 on my exn. Much better ride on all terrain and improved grip all around.

Ā 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, EMA said:

finally mounted Heidenau k66 on my wheel, really love this tire, solid structure and nice grip.

Have you got some picturesĀ  please of it installedĀ 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:15 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Which one, hmm.

From my own experience (also mentioned at length by myself and others elsewhere on these forums), I would highly recommend and vouch for the CST6004 out ofĀ these 4 options!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

@EMA any chance you could measure the tire width? (installed and inflated, like you have)

Thx

both measured on "classic gotway rim" EXN in this case:

kenda k340Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  73.6 mm

k66Ā  80/90-14Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  73.7 mm

IMG_20211029_122028.jpg

IMG_20211029_121925.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EMA said:

both measured on "classic gotway rim" EXN in this case:

kenda k340Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  73.6 mm

k66Ā  80/90-14Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  73.7 mm

Ah that's good news, more clearance than my 78mm City Pro 80/90-14 (which didn't fit my MSX shell).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Ah that's good news, more clearance than my 78mm City Pro 80/90-14 (which didn't fit my MSX shell).

i've already mounted k66 into an msx wo issues ;)

kenda k340 can rubber the inside of msx while riding one foot or aggressive cornering (the structure is softer compared to k66)

Edited by EMA
  • Like 2

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to 18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)