Smart watches.

I kinda agree DB is lousy at reporting battery levels.

One afternoon I used my Apple Watch to answer a phone call. Left my iPhone in my pocket, and used the Apple Watch as a BlueTooth Speaker phone, I did not have to remove my helmet, I even managed to say on my KS18L and keep rolling slowly. Can a pebble do that? ( I own a pebble too.)

On 6/30/2020 at 6:26 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Im using a Lemfo T smart watch. It aint great, but it wasnt expensive. Its around or under $100 and it is a full android. When I say standalone, I mean that it can work with eucw while riding buck ass naked with no sim card or wifi and just the watch wrapped around your..... well, you get the drift. No cell phones in my pocket!  I think the best solution for me, is just any workable and cheap droid to use with eucw. My driod does my tracking (csv) and has no sim card. I sometimes have it in my pocket but mostly on my wheel itself or on a wrist. I like it as its on eucw main screen 95% of the time, but i can play music to the wheel from it. Of course it does other droid type crap, but it isnt exactly awesome.  I DO like dedicated devices, but i think I'll stick with this plan for versatility and choices of app, while hoping more euc's incorporate basic data screens in the wheel itself. As my speeds of riding increase, I am pretty sure I'll wear it more, as I'll have helmet, wind noise and need the added safety of user settings for vibration warnings. *fwiw, i didnt hack or muck with s**t, I wanted it bs simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4mqx2zYwU

This is such a good solution. I bought one immediately after watching your video,

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:40 AM, ir_fuel said:

I used DB on my Apple Watch. Looking at the speed on my Pebble goes a lot faster.

Was this the series 5 Apple Watch with the always on screen? Just curious how relevant this is to current apple watch experience? 

I dug my old Moto 360 (gen 1) out of a closet and put a new battery in it.  It doesn't sync to EUC World!  :(   This watch still runs Wear OS 1.4 and doesn't have the app store on the watch.  Any thoughts on how I can get this to sync with EUC World?  I am hoping if Pebble can sync, this old thing can too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 6:26 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Im using a Lemfo T smart watch. It aint great, but it wasnt expensive. Its around or under $100 and it is a full android. When I say standalone, I mean that it can work with eucw while riding buck ass naked with no sim card or wifi and just the watch wrapped around your..... well, you get the drift. No cell phones in my pocket!  I think the best solution for me, is just any workable and cheap droid to use with eucw. My driod does my tracking (csv) and has no sim card. I sometimes have it in my pocket but mostly on my wheel itself or on a wrist. I like it as its on eucw main screen 95% of the time, but i can play music to the wheel from it. Of course it does other droid type crap, but it isnt exactly awesome.  I DO like dedicated devices, but i think I'll stick with this plan for versatility and choices of app, while hoping more euc's incorporate basic data screens in the wheel itself. As my speeds of riding increase, I am pretty sure I'll wear it more, as I'll have helmet, wind noise and need the added safety of user settings for vibration warnings. *fwiw, i didnt hack or muck with s**t, I wanted it bs simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4mqx2zYwU

Where did you get that for under an 100$? I only find 140$USD+ options(200$ CAD)

I'm using a Kospet Prime SE. Full Android, tons of battery (About 3 hours with the screen always-on on EUC World gauge), under 90€ and working with UEC World directly connected to the wheel without a smartphone in the middle.

The bad thing: When really really sunny (midday spanish sun. The next level is desert sun haha), you can only see the speed. I guess a pebble is better for this, but the problem is that you have to carry a smartphone.

Edited by Llorx

On 6/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

The problem I found with using a smart watch was simply that I couldn't fit it over my wrist guards.

As many others, I use Velcro in summer:

Screenshot_20200726-190458.png.dd6993e17cf9ff884d26cdc823aaf99e.png

And in winter, since I use gloves on top of the wristguards, I just bought TWO of these and I use them together (the locking system is magnetic so very flexible):

Screenshot_20200726-190211.thumb.png.f3cfb2669eec8c06813c4e930a36957d.png

Edited by Coco66
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, Coco66 said:

As many others, I use Velcro in summer:

Screenshot_20200726-190458.png.dd6993e17cf9ff884d26cdc823aaf99e.png

And in winter, since I use gloves on top of the wristguards, I just bought TWO of these and I use them together (the locking system is magnetic so very flexible):

Screenshot_20200726-190211.thumb.png.f3cfb2669eec8c06813c4e930a36957d.png

Exact same configuration!!!!

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

and an update! :D 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered a Samsung Galaxy Watch (Gen1 with long battery life) and a strap extender so it can easily fit either over the wristguard or higher up on the arm behind the wristguard, I'm thinking you can use it both as EUC World display and for activating the horn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

How do you consult your smartwatch? while riding? is the screen turning on directly on EUC world when you do that? 

I can only answer for the Samsung Galaxy Watch (received it yesterday), you start the app on the phone and the watch and let it run, then you can have it display always on the watch if you like or only when you wake the watch display up with gestures depending on your settings.

9 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

does the vocal alarms output to the watch speaker? i have  a galaxy watch too and gave it a try, somehow, the alarms vibrate on the watch but the vocal prompts are still on the phone. Couldn't find how to change this.

Haven't tried that, I output to the speakers on my Inmotion V10F.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought my first wheel and had a ttgo t-watch that I got a while ago. They are very cheap and can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, I think you could get one for around $25. Since it has Bluetooth  I thought I might try to see if I could use it as an EUC dashboard. After some research and coding I managed to build a working prototype, it's still quite rudimentary and only supports my KingSong wheel without tweaking. I uploaded it to GitHub in case anyone want to have a look or poke around.

https://github.com/Pickelhaupt/EUC-Dash-ESP32

preview

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

Just bought my first wheel and had a ttgo t-watch that I got a while ago. They are very cheap and can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, I think you could get one for around $25. Since it has Bluetooth  I thought I might try to see if I could use it as an EUC dashboard. After some research and coding I managed to build a working prototype, it's still quite rudimentary and only supports my KingSong wheel without tweaking. I uploaded it to GitHub in case anyone want to have a look or poke around.

preview

Woah, that's cool. Has some tapping functions? Like horn and lights.

4 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

preview

Impressive!

Shouldn't the 16X be 84v?

Would it be easier to code (and simpler to read) if you just had the speed in a very large font in the centre and perhaps a bar graphic for battery. Maybe show the other numbers if the user presses the button. Perhaps have a 3rd line at the top that only shows if certain parameters have been exceeded ie the temp is over 60C or the Amps used went over 50A or speed went over 30mph. The problem for slightly older folk like myself is our eyesight isn't perfect and we need to stare at the current screen for a while to work out what's what - by which time I've hit a speed bump or a pot hole. 

Could you work out a standard interface to different wheels so it's easy to adapt to the different wheels out there? Does the watch have a vibrate function? Gestures? Personally I find the watch format difficult to wear with wrist guards, could there be just a velcro patch onto my wrist guard? How long does the battery last?

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Impressive!

Shouldn't the 16X be 84v?

Would it be easier to code (and simpler to read) if you just had the speed in a very large font in the centre and perhaps a bar graphic for battery. Maybe show the other numbers if the user presses the button. Perhaps have a 3rd line at the top that only shows if certain parameters have been exceeded ie the temp is over 60C or the Amps used went over 50A or speed went over 30mph. The problem for slightly older folk like myself is our eyesight isn't perfect and we need to stare at the current screen for a while to work out what's what - by which time I've hit a speed bump or a pot hole. 

Could you work out a standard interface to different wheels so it's easy to adapt to the different wheels out there? Does the watch have a vibrate function? Gestures? Personally I find the watch format difficult to wear with wrist guards, could there be just a velcro patch onto my wrist guard? How long does the battery last?

Thanks for the interface ideas, I like the idea of information that only is visible when it's needed.

I will probably redo the interface completely and possibly add multiple screens with different views. The current interface is a first prototype and I just used the built in fonts of the graphics library to avoid spending too much time on the interface before I knew if it would be practical. I agree that the speedo font is too small.

It should be possible to adapt it to most wheels, I had a lot of help from reading the code from the WheelLog project and is should be fairly easy to adapt it to any wheel supported by WheelLog. As I only have one wheel I can only test it in the 14D at the moment though.

The wrist strap is fairly long but still just about stretches around my quite small wrist guards. I agree, some sort of velcro solution would be better. The device does have a vibrate function and it's got a touch screen so it's possible to implement vibration alerts and tapping and swiping gestures.

@Llorx, At the moment it doesn't but I plan to add some tapping functions soon

I am not a coder, so progress might be a bit slow though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

I am not a coder, so progress might be a bit slow though.

I've just ordered the watch (£21) so I suggest you speed up a bit on the coding side ;) 

12 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

About the battery; I have not tested how long it lasts with the screen continuously on yet, will do that today.

If battery life is an issue then I'd suggest you code it so it only turns the screen on if the watch is raised - there's an xyz accelerometer on board. If the watch isn't being viewed then you could slow down the bluetooth sampling which should also save battery life. Speed alerts via vibration would be very useful as the watch can do this.

I did a test today and ran the dashboard with the screen continuously on at max brightness, max cpu freq and no power saving tricks enabled; it ran for about 3 hours. I will experiment with some power saving features but I think the display is the worst offender as it is quite bright (brightness setting is on the todo list as well). It should be possible to use the accelerometer to turn the screen on, there are some example programs that implement that feature available; might be a bit tricky to calibrate the function for EUC riding though.

• Like 1