Smart watches.

41 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I've just ordered the watch (£21) so I suggest you speed up a bit on the coding side ;)

Cool, it's actually very well built considering the price. When will you get it? Hope you didn't opt for express delivery :efee96588e:

Edited by Pickelhaupt

No idea, I'm expecting a slow boat from China. I expect a month. I did try coding on micro-controllers which was quite interesting but I've been meaning to try the Arduino system out. I believe the watch is an Arduino with a display and various sensors on board so for £21 it's pretty good value ... and it's also a watch! and it's straightforward to program yourself (supposedly). It's certainly good value compared to the Galaxy at £300 or apple watch 6 at ~£370.

1 hour ago, Pickelhaupt said:

I did a test today and ran the dashboard with the screen continuously on at max brightness, max cpu freq and no power saving tricks enabled; it ran for about 3 hours.

That's a shame, I really need a full day out of an EUC watch, or at least 10 hours. I just can't give up my Pebble until that happens. The only issue I have with the Pebble is the fairly small screen, and as I am short sighted I wear spectacles when riding so when I glance down I have to really concentrate and let my eyes adjust to the close and small screen which in reality doesn't take that long but every half a second is a long time in reality. I would just like a nice big screen with speed and batt %. All other data can wait until I pull my phone out (with EUC World) when stopped. And I don't want to wear my phone on my arm cos I'm not willing to smash it to pieces if I go down!

28 minutes ago, Planemo said:

That's a shame, I really need a full day out of an EUC watch, or at least 10 hours. I just can't give up my Pebble until that happens. The only issue I have with the Pebble is the fairly small screen, and as I am short sighted I wear spectacles when riding so when I glance down I have to really concentrate and let my eyes adjust to the close and small screen which in reality doesn't take that long but every half a second is a long time in reality. I would just like a nice big screen with speed and batt %. All other data can wait until I pull my phone out (with EUC World) when stopped. And I don't want to wear my phone on my arm cos I'm not willing to smash it to pieces if I go down!

I think it will be possible to extend the run time a fair bit, especially if the screen can be turned off when it's not looked at. The watch has a 340 mAh battery and getting down to an average current of 34 mA would give you 10 hours. there are a number of power saving features and looking at the numbers this seems feasible. It would be possible to use even less power when not riding. I'll do some testing to see how much I can tweak it.

Edited by Pickelhaupt

On 9/15/2020 at 10:35 AM, Pickelhaupt said:

Just bought my first wheel and had a ttgo t-watch that I got a while ago. They are very cheap and can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, I think you could get one for around $25. Since it has Bluetooth  I thought I might try to see if I could use it as an EUC dashboard. After some research and coding I managed to build a working prototype, it's still quite rudimentary and only supports my KingSong wheel without tweaking. I uploaded it to GitHub in case anyone want to have a look or poke around.

https://github.com/Pickelhaupt/EUC-Dash-ESP32

preview

Interesting - thanks!  Placed an order for an older model as well as the 2020 variant (that it looks like you have from the picture).  When it comes I'll take a look and see if I can get it working with my Gotways.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:25 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

If battery life is an issue then I'd suggest you code it so it only turns the screen on if the watch is raised - there's an xyz accelerometer on board. If the watch isn't being viewed then you could slow down the bluetooth sampling which should also save battery life. Speed alerts via vibration would be very useful as the watch can do this.

I spent some more time on the code and rewrote most of it, so far I have implemented battery saving functions, wake on wrist tilt, double tap to wake. Just did a test and it is still at 70% battery after 24h of low power mode (not connected to wheel). When connected to the wheel it will shut off the screen and GUI but still keep the BT connection running, collecting data. This should save a fair amount of power as well, I have not tested how much it saves yet though.

Next step is to implement a new interface, this will probably be the most time consuming bit. I made a mock-up of a potential interface; it's heavily influenced by EUC World/Wheellog. Any input and suggestions are welcome. I want to have a decent design before I start building the code for it.

preview

preview

Edited by Pickelhaupt

17 hours ago, BarrettJ said:

Interesting - thanks!  Placed an order for an older model as well as the 2020 variant (that it looks like you have from the picture).  When it comes I'll take a look and see if I can get it working with my Gotways.

Great, thanks. I will post the new version on Github as soon as I get it running with at least one functional Dashboard.

1 minute ago, Llorx said:

@Pickelhaupt that's pretty cool. Do you plan to add some kind of manual brightness control? Like sweeping the screen left or right to increase/decrease it.

I have implemented a time based brightness function where the screen gets dimmer after a certain time (still only configurable at build time though). It's also possible to double tap the screen to set the brightness to maximum. Could probably not implement a swiping gesture for the backlight as I use those to switch between screens.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This IS really neat. Im pretty used to my lemfo tho, 

Out of interest, do you think the Lemfo would manage a days riding without charging? Like 90 odd miles over maybe 10 hours/3 charges? Does the bluetooth drop out? I must admit I am sold on the screen size for my crappy eyes.

26 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This IS really neat. Im pretty used to my lemfo tho, and the screen is already as small as my fat fingers can manage. Im a total idiot when it comes to arduino and I havent a programmer. I'll definitley keep it in mind tho, when my lemfo finally dies. I do like it for tour tracking and speeds. I have a feeling I wont be bothering to carry even the lemfo very often when riding the sherman.

Agree that the screen is fairly small but still quite readable when riding. You do not need a programmer as it is integrated in the watch, just connect it to USB, compile and upload the sketch. I'll add a better instruction to the Github page once I have a presentable version uploaded.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Out of interest, do you think the Lemfo would manage a days riding without charging? Like 90 odd miles over maybe 10 hours/3 charges? Does the bluetooth drop out? I must admit I am sold on the screen size for my crappy eyes.

The bluetooth drops now and then. I think its a range issue. When I put my watch on my wrist ( i dont wear it nowadays) and would hold my camera WAY overhead, it sometimes would drop. I keep it on my wheel now and its stable. I can tell when it drops because the music stops and then restarts. I'll see what I can do to verify how long it REALLY lasts with just eucw runnnig. Of course, if you use wifi and music it may be shorter. I also leave it on eucw main screen at brightest and it doesnt sleep. The screen suffers a little shadowing and burn in with eucw, but so far its a non issue and fades after it had been off a while. I would just power it up and run it to see how long until it dies, but I am hoping to take my tank out today (maybe) and log some miles. I'll let you know what I find.

@Pickelhaupt Good to know about the programming over usb. I have no doubt its easy enough to see on your wrist. How easy is it to see when its strapped to a wheel handle in braod sunlight, as you stand about 4' above it? I sure do like the $25 price tag! Does it have memory in it to stroe and play music over bluetooth? I'd imagine not at that price. This is a great idea for those people who take short commutes and dont want any extras or that carry a stupid fukn phone with them to do the other tasks. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

14 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The bluetooth drops now and then. I think its a range issue. When I put my watch on my wrist ( i dont wear it nowadays) and would hold my camera WAY overhead, it sometimes would drop. I keep it on my wheel now and its stable.

Hmm...yeah I would never have it on my wheel, it's bad enough having to bring my wrist up to eye level and glance across at 40mph, I don't fancy looking down at my wheel. I hear you though that your arm had to be way overhead before it dropped out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Hmm...yeah I would never have it on my wheel, it's bad enough having to bring my wrist up to eye level and glance across at 40mph, I don't fancy looking down at my wheel. I hear you though that your arm had to be way overhead before it dropped out.

A quick glance down is easier for me, as Im typically holding a cigarette and camera. It was good training too, as my Sherm has their screen in near same locale as my watch on the 18L. I'm one of those guys that abhors wearing devices, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Being on the wheel does have a problem, as I need remember to flip it UNDER the handle when going off road, as a fall means the wheel tumbles and the watch takes a hit. The watch CAN take a sim card if you wanted it to. I think its capable of texting and other cellular things, but it is NOT capable of being a phone.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

maybe you want to look at Pinetime/p8 NFR52832 watches. The esp32 is no good battery wise, 100 times less efficient in stand by(and the BT radio on the NRF is up, not off like on the esp32), and is a cheap made watch. The build quality of the p8 is excellent. 

I have a finished stand alone client for the ninebot one c/e/p, maybe one cares to write code for the other wheels. 
https://github.com/enaon/ninebot-one-nRF52/tree/master/p8-nb

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 6:35 PM, Pickelhaupt said:

Just bought my first wheel and had a ttgo t-watch that I got a while ago. They are very cheap and can be programmed with the Arduino IDE, I think you could get one for around $25. Since it has Bluetooth  I thought I might try to see if I could use it as an EUC dashboard. After some research and coding I managed to build a working prototype, it's still quite rudimentary and only supports my KingSong wheel without tweaking. I uploaded it to GitHub in case anyone want to have a look or poke around.

https://github.com/Pickelhaupt/EUC-Dash-ESP32

preview

have a look here, he has an arduino firmware ready, I think it will suit perfect. 
https://github.com/atc1441/ATCwatch

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

Any input and suggestions are welcome. I want to have a decent design before I start building the code for it.

I don't think there'd be much point just simply copying EUC World. Why not try and produce something different? Something simpler that's easier to read at a glance. My suggestions:

• Why show speed to a decimal point? It just confuses things and forces you to use a smaller font. I don't care if I'm travelling at 29.4kmh or 29.7kmh.
  • Why show anything else other than speed and battery percent? they are the only things I'm interested in.
  • Show the battery percent as a large bar that takes up the width of the screen. It's important!
  • Maybe have an optional display function where you can display one other number at the top of the screen.
  • Reserve the top part of the screen for alerts ie 67C and display all alerts in red. Maybe the type of alerts could have a time associated with them for how long they should be shown.
  • Maybe have different info on screen if the rider is moving or stationary ie show more detailed info when the rider has stopped.
  • You could have a single tap to cycle through the different screens.
  • Have a double tap function that toots the horn if you're moving and perhaps turns on/off the lighting if you're stopped. At the moment when I want to enter a shop I need to get my phone out to turn off the lighting or press the button on my 16S about 8 times to cycle through the dumb lighting modes it now has.
  • Why try and do things like pedal tilt on your watch app? Try and keep everything simple!
  • You need a simple settings screen for picking the wheel, displaying mph or kmh, miles or kilometres, timezone?
  • Haptic feedback on alerts would be nice - I tend to cruise at just under the top speed of my 16S, it would be nice if I just got a small vibration telling me to slow down rather than the wheel shouting out that I need to slow down.
  • Show the time if no wheel is connected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

• Haptic feedback on alerts would be nice - I tend to cruise at just under the top speed of my 16S, it would be nice if I just got a small vibration telling me to slow down rather than the wheel shouting out that I need to slow down.

I agree, this is the best feature of a smart watch connected to a wheel. I have implemented incremental feeddback on speed and amperage, so that It vibrates more times per loop depending on speed, with time I bearly look at it, I get informed through haptic feedback mostly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, enaon said:

I agree, this is the best feature of a smart watch connected to a wheel. I have implemented incremental feeddback on speed and amperage, so that It vibrates more times per loop depending on speed, with time I bearly look at it, I get informed through haptic feedback mostly. 

And that is why i still use the Pebble, cause you can feel the haptic feedback from the vibra-motor inside.

But still its no stand-alone.

@enaon i would like to see it one day, if you are available. 

5 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

And that is why i still use the Pebble, cause you can feel the haptic feedback from the vibra-motor inside.

But still its no stand-alone.

@enaon i would like to see it one day, if you are available. 

Yes we will meet sometime soon. The pebble is nice, dated but nice, it has a nice to read screen for outdoors. This $15 watch has also an excellent screen for outdors, allways on transflective, no touch, but for a simple euc client with haptic feedback, a deticated device, excellent, and is also hacked, can be used to write code very easily. 

one can excpect over 20 days in standby, and 4-5 days of heavy usage. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, enaon said:

maybe you want to look at Pinetime/p8 NFR52832 watches. The esp32 is no good battery wise, 100 times less efficient in stand by, and is a cheap made watch. The build quality of the p8 is excellent. 

I have a finished stand alone client for the ninebot one c/e/p, maybe one cares to write code for the other wheels. 
https://github.com/enaon/ninebot-one-nRF52/tree/master/p8-nb

Interesting, I might get one to try it out. I also think that the Nordic Semi chip is supported by lvgl so it should not be too hard to port the code. It looks a bit better than the t-watch and the strap looks more practical. How bright is the screen? Is it visible in sunlight?

I'll have a look at the code to see what needs to be done to support KS wheels, is the BT data decoded in m_euc?

I think the ESP watch will at least last for a day even with a lot of riding but would not be as practical as an every day watch. The Pinetime would probably last weeks on stand by.

2 hours ago, Pickelhaupt said:

Interesting, I might get one to try it out. I also think that the Nordic Semi chip is supported by lvgl so it should not be too hard to port the code. It looks a bit better than the t-watch and the strap looks more practical. How bright is the screen? Is it visible in sunlight?

I'll have a look at the code to see what needs to be done to support KS wheels, is the BT data decoded in m_euc?

I think the ESP watch will at least last for a day even with a lot of riding but would not be as practical as an every day watch. The Pinetime would probably last weeks on stand by.

Atc1441 has lvgl allready, he has done amazing work overall. Check him out, he has done work on the t-watch too, but NFR rocks as a wearable., esp32 sucks. :)

the p8 has an 1.4 tft screen, but of good quality, visible outdoors. On direct sunlight it straggles a bit, but visible. 

the NRF last over a month in stand by with the BT on, yes. :)

This is a channel of his with great info on on NRF and other iot devices. 

https://discord.gg/NZypJpb

68747470733a2f2f66696c65732e676974746572

Edited by enaon