Smart watches.

I've noticed quite a few riders have their EUC app displayed on a wrist watch and wondered how they work, what is needed etc.

I don't always take my smart phone with me when riding so the idea of having a basic app displaying battery level, speed, distance travelled etc appeals to me. Do these wrist watches have to be 'bluetoothed' to a phone carried with you or can they be directly connected to my wheel.

What sort of device do I need for displaying the EUC World app while riding? I'm not bothered about loads of features but just want a cheap simple device to display the app (and tell the time)

16 hours ago, Bertrand One said:

I'm using an old Pebble. They're discontinued now but EUC World works perfectly on them. I just removed the bands, stuck some velcro to the back and now it attaches to my wrist guard. It's pretty awesome!

Thanks.

Can the watch be used with your wheel without the need to take your phone with you?

Essentially what I want is a cheap way to be able to see my battery level, speed and distance covered while I'm riding without needing to take my phone with me.

13 minutes ago, Bertrand One said:

The Pebble connects to your phone, so you need both with you. I'm afraid my help ends here.

Sorry, mate.

Ok thanks, if I'd need to carry my phone it kind of defeats the object so I'll give up on that idea.

Im sure there is a way to do it as im stuck with the same issue and on top of it i have an iphone so no EUC world for me,,,,, I decided to order a cheap smartwatch from Amazon, hopefully i'll receive it soon and i'll get back to you with some good news.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Gasmantle said:

I've noticed quite a few riders have their EUC app displayed on a wrist watch and wondered how they work, what is needed etc.

I don't always take my smart phone with me when riding so the idea of having a basic app displaying battery level, speed, distance travelled etc appeals to me. Do these wrist watches have to be 'bluetoothed' to a phone carried with you or can they be directly connected to my wheel.

What sort of device do I need for displaying the EUC World app while riding? I'm not bothered about loads of features but just want a cheap simple device to display the app (and tell the time)

It depends on the watch's os. 

Most run as companion app that get information from an android phone. Some fix this with a cheap one. 

But if it is running wear os it should run the directly on the watch.

Sine pebble watch is discontinued as brand/company it needs some fiddling to get running. But should be fine once initial things are done. (I d6have this solution so I can't walk you through it).

I am beta tester of the Tizen Companion version of EUC.WORLD. it is very straight forward, but you need an android phone. 

Now there are a new think coming (at some point, no ETA yet). Inmotion are to release their own solution that communicate directly to Inmotion wheels. Expected price were said maybe 100-150$. But the details are very few still. It is still in development that is why Inmotion has been quiet and only slipped teaser details. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urban Wheeler said:

Im sure there is a way to do it as im stuck with the same issue and on top of it i have an iphone so no EUC world for me,,,,, I decided to order a cheap smartwatch from Amazon, hopefully i'll receive it soon and i'll get back to you with some good news.

Same here, I just carry an old Android in my pocket just to run EUC World, connected to a Pebble.

I have a full Android smart watch too, that can run wheellog, but tbh I prefer the Android phone/Pebble system now.

I tried running Darknessbot + Apple Watch, but it's a lot less responsive. The time it takes to have a look at my current speed is triple that of the Pebble because of screen wakeup and delays, and I only see speed.

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Now there are a new think coming (at some point, no ETA yet). Inmotion are to release their own solution that communicate directly to Inmotion wheels. Expected price were said maybe 100-150$. But the details are very few still. It is still in development that is why Inmotion has been quiet and only slipped teaser details. 

And nobody will want it, because most people have multiple wheels from different brands.

Just now, ir_fuel said:

And nobody will want it, because most people have multiple wheels from different brands.

That might be true for you and me, with multiply brands. But a lot of people in the telegram channel  have only have Inmotion wheels. I view this as Inmotion is the Apple of EUC. It has both good an bad sides. But as a commuter at 30-35kmh all weather, it makes much more sense to me to get the V11. It is also much cheaper to have an Inmotion watch attached to my wrist guard than have to use my Samsung 500$ watch for this only. I expect the V11 and V10f with handle 95% of my rides in the future.

I will keep my KS16x and KS18L as I don't see them bring any real money in a 2nd hand sale compare to the value in case I have a fault on a wheel and have to wait for spare parts. I don't have any national dealer or service point so sparepart and service is always a hassle and cost lods in shipping.

We all have different ways to look at things. I don't think al will think in my way , actually I think most will not. But there is a brand loyalty from V5f and V8 owners that love Inmotion and the next gen AI wheel expected late this year or early next year might bring more sense to having a watch that communicate directly to the wheel. I am pretty sure Inmotion has a plan, they have just not shown much of this yet. 

• Like 1

Im using a Lemfo T smart watch. It aint great, but it wasnt expensive. Its around or under $100 and it is a full android. When I say standalone, I mean that it can work with eucw while riding buck ass naked with no sim card or wifi and just the watch wrapped around your..... well, you get the drift. No cell phones in my pocket!  I think the best solution for me, is just any workable and cheap droid to use with eucw. My driod does my tracking (csv) and has no sim card. I sometimes have it in my pocket but mostly on my wheel itself or on a wrist. I like it as its on eucw main screen 95% of the time, but i can play music to the wheel from it. Of course it does other droid type crap, but it isnt exactly awesome.  I DO like dedicated devices, but i think I'll stick with this plan for versatility and choices of app, while hoping more euc's incorporate basic data screens in the wheel itself. As my speeds of riding increase, I am pretty sure I'll wear it more, as I'll have helmet, wind noise and need the added safety of user settings for vibration warnings. *fwiw, i didnt hack or muck with s**t, I wanted it bs simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4mqx2zYwU

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

The problem I found with using a smart watch was simply that I couldn't fit it over my wrist guards. Maybe someone should introduce wrist guards that have a hole for your watch to show through and perhaps a folding mirror on the other side to see behind. Anyway, I wasn't prepared to hack around with the watch so I rarely use it on the EUC. Mines a Ticwatch Pro and it requires EUC World running on a smart phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The problem I found with using a smart watch was simply that I couldn't fit it over my wrist guards. Maybe someone should introduce wrist guards that have a hole for your watch to show through and perhaps a folding mirror on the other side to see behind. Anyway, I wasn't prepared to hack around with the watch so I rarely use it on the EUC. Mines a Ticwatch Pro and it requires EUC World running on a smart phone.

Get a longer strap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Im thinking that incorporating these things, would hinder the safety of them. Most watches have pins where the bands attach. Im sure a strap of nylon or anything clever would work. Velcro is nice as you can put it different places, and soft side wont disturb your wrist should you wear it. Mine charges on the back but its also 5v so i could charge it off the wheel. I dont bother, as it can run my wheel dry 3-4 times b4 needing it charged. It is bluetooth to the wheel, no sim card needed. Gps does take a bit, but works just fine.There has to be more options, but at one point you just need a screen thats possible to even see. And buttons omfg dont get me started on touch screen and buttons on ANY of these tiny things.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I tried a longer NATO strap that but still didn't work. In all honesty though, I don't ride fast or particularly far so the wheel info isn't vital to me. The EUC World app on the watch was very informative though - almost too informative for my old eyes to deal with.

10 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I tried a longer NATO strap that but still didn't work. In all honesty though, I don't ride fast or particularly far so the wheel info isn't vital to me. The EUC World app on the watch was very informative though - almost too informative for my old eyes to deal with.

I dont know man, it sounds like you want it but you dont want the hassle. Can't have it both ways, I REALLY wish we could. I like the new 'sherman' built in screen idea for just those times when you dont need much.. My lemfo stays strapped to my 18L handle mostly. I spin it under when i go off roading now. Its a simple matter of turning on the watch and tapping the eucw icon(it autoconnects and can be set to auto log, tho i prefer starting logs). Hard to see way down there, so i just let it log and play music...kinda forget all about it really. When Im really lazy, i dont log i just use it to check battery and speed randomly. It lifts with my handle when i want to change music or muck with it. Im mostly a blind a**hole as it is. A lot of times i dont even bother turn it on...

LemtEUCW.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I like watches in general so I bought the Ticwatch just try out the technology. I was really looking forward to getting directions through vibrations from the watch while on my motorbike. Sadly I never managed to work out how to get that working and I actually find Wear OS not very intuitive. The only thing I did find the watch good for was when I took a nap at lunchtime and needed something to wake me up. When I did try the EUC World app on the watch it looked great and the display showed everything but the reality was it just took me too long to find the info I was after - it would of been nice if I could just chose to display speed and battery percent. The added difficulty of attaching it to my wrist while wearing wrist guards just sealed it's fate.

I also find it quite difficult pulling out my phone to use EUC World while riding. I also object to people using their phones while driving so I thought it a bit hypocritical of me if I did the same on the wheel. At the end of the day, I don't really need the info as I can easily tell what speed I'm doing and my rides aren't usually more than a few miles at a time. 

• Like 1

Darkness Bot on an Apple Watch

Pandora playing synthwave channel.

Apple watch/pandora can lower the volume and skip songs.

DB gives me speed and battery level

I can ask SIRI for "Battery Level" and "Speed"

The Large AppleWatch strap barely fits over my wrist guards. It works great with my E-Wheels wrist guards.

I wish i could easily and quickly use the horn on my KS18L

5 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Darkness Bot on an Apple Watch

Pandora playing synthwave channel.

Apple watch/pandora can lower the volume and skip songs.

DB gives me speed and battery level

I can ask SIRI for "Battery Level" and "Speed"

The Large AppleWatch strap barely fits over my wrist guards. It works great with my E-Wheels wrist guards.

I wish i could easily and quickly use the horn on my KS18L

I used DB on my Apple Watch. Looking at the speed on my Pebble goes a lot faster.