Smart watches.

At the moment the application is working for 67v kingsong wheels. It should be straightforward to get it to work with all KS wheels but it needs the auto detection of wheels working properly. There's obviously a long "to do" list but he's making great progress. The way Gotway communicates via bluetooth is apparently similar to KS so it's likely to be added next. Obviously there's a lot of work going on to get the app working and all the features added. I use the app with my wheel and I'm really impressed. The main thing for me is the simplicity of the display so I can read it at a glance. Being able to use a $20 smart watch is also a big benefit - if I fall and break the watch then it hardly matters. I think Pickelhaupt has done brilliantly here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have rewritten the program completely and added a lot of new features. There are still some bugs/missing features and it should be considered pre-release alpha quality. However I am using it daily and I find it stable enough.

To build it you need a working PlatformIO setup and drivers for the t-watch USB installed, there are some basic instructions on the github page on how to set it up.

https://github.com/Pickelhaupt/EUC-Dash-ESP32

if you have issues getting PlatformIO to compile the code it is possible to flash the binaries using the Expressif flash tool. Just tell me and I will post instructions.

• Wheel identification of all recent KS wheels: KS14M/D/S, KS16/KS16S/X/XS, KS18A/L/XL, KS-S18
  • Multiple screens with choice of dashboard detail level and info screens
  • long press on the screen to turn on/off the lights
  • Power, display, wifi, time and dashboard settings including setting for imperial units etc..

it should be fairly easy to add GW support but I have not yet been able to as I don't have access to a Gotway wheel.

1 hour ago, Pickelhaupt said:

Hi all, I have rewritten the program completely and added a lot of new features. There are still some bugs/missing features and it should be considered pre-release alpha quality. However I am using it daily and I find it stable enough.

I also use this program and I'm very impressed. It does most stuff but the standout things for me are:

• It runs on a £25 "smart watch".
  • There's an option for a simple screen which just shows me speed and battery% but there's also a full info screen for those with better eyes.
  • It has vibration alerts that I can easily feel through my wrist guards.
  • I can turn my lights off and on with a single long press on the screen - great for when going into shops etc.
  • It doesn't need a mobile phone.
  • It's fairly easy to use.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pengloong said:

@mike_bike_kite, I wonder what smart watch you are using for this and how easy /difficult is it to set up with the wheel by someone who is not too technology minded?. Thanks. 

It's a ttgo watch 2020. I should point out it's a very dumb smart watch when it arrives as it only shows the time in China when it arrives! However, once the program is loaded, the time corrects and it connects to your wheel very easily. I'm sure the documentation will improve on how to load the program but, if not, then I'm sure either pickelhaupt or myself will be able to help. You need a PC of some variety and a USB port.

EDIT - I just realised I got my watch from baangood and not aliexpress. It took 2 weeks to arrive which was pretty good. Make sure to get the 2020 version as this is more compact than the older version. The program will only run on this type of watch. It's actually an Arduino computer.

Edited by mike_bike_kite

I will add improved documentation to the Github repository as soon as I get some time, there are still some things regarding the settings and info screens that will change a fair bit but I will try to explain both the program interface and how to get it on the watch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, nice to meet you too, thanks for arranging the ride. It was very fun even though my wheel was getting a bit tired towards the end.

Thanks, all help I can get is most welcome, the code base is getting quite large at this point. I'll give you commit access to the repository, do you have a Github account? Also I have an extra watch with a broken button(The program works fine without it) that you could use until you get your own. The t-watch is however not an optimal device for a dashboard due to a botched BLE implementation and lack of water proofing so I am looking for a better alternative but so far I have not found any. At least it's cheap and works well enough for commuting.

Wyze just announced a watch that’s preorder for $20USD. No indication of a published API or ability to create third party apps or watch faces for it but if they can be convinced it’d be a cheap dashboard. Now, how to pressure them into letting other apps on their device...

On 7/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, Coco66 said:

As many others, I use Velcro in summer:

Screenshot_20200726-190458.png.dd6993e17cf9ff884d26cdc823aaf99e.png

And in winter, since I use gloves on top of the wristguards, I just bought TWO of these and I use them together (the locking system is magnetic so very flexible):

Screenshot_20200726-190211.thumb.png.f3cfb2669eec8c06813c4e930a36957d.png

Where did you buy this? It look great!

Found a way to use Apple Watch without having to disable the passcode (having no passcode also disables Apple Pay so that’s not great). Make a “custom” band! https://giphy.com/gifs/ZKfgz7gGG5i9nm3zrC

The trick is having a light colored piece of Velcro (loop side) against the sensors on the back. You can also use epoxy buttons but they’re fairly thick. Then the watch thinks it’s on your wrist!

I cut up some Velcro cable ties, the built in pull tab worked well on some cheap watch band adapters (3 sets for 8USD). The flip side of the black bits has the hook side for sticking to the wrist guard’s loops. I added a tiny clip-on tether in case it gets dislodged from the Velcro. Bonus, this setup also works with the Velcro cuff adjusters on my moto jacket.

016E9724-F8F2-48C3-BCDD-8308C634CCE0.jpg

FA35EE91-5170-4A5E-A2FC-42495B39D5C6.jpg

9C25EA8C-174C-4AFD-B5E3-FC79CE3A7306.jpg

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I wonder if I could seek your advice here please?
l managed to purchase two Pebble Watches and successfully connected them to my wheels, after following very clear @Seba EUCWorld video instructions.
However, during my rides, I am always able to read the first face on the Pebble Watch showing Speed, Battery Percentage and Temperature but on the second face, basic stats like Riding Time, Distant and Top Speed are always showing zero. This is the same on both Pebble watches.  Please can anyone advise me what may be the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

It all seems a lot more trouble than it's worth to get a watch to work.  I'm using a phone on an armband, which has a much larger screen to look at.  I started with my Kyocera Duraforce Pro in a cheap armband, but it was a little tough to see in sunlight.  I bought a Quadlock armband and a Quadlock universal mount to put on the Kyocera, which does help a lot because I don't have the layer of cheap clear plastic reducing the visibility of the phone.  But now I've ordered a Quadlock case for my Samsung Note 10+ because that phone has a larger and brighter screen that is easy to see in sunlight, so I'll use that with the Quadlock armband.  I position the armband on my forearm just below my elbow.

Here's my Kyocera in the cheapie armband:

mNR9PI5.jpg

Edited by KiwiMark
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

It all seems a lot more trouble than it's worth to get a watch to work.  I'm using a phone on an armband, which has a much larger screen to look at.  I started with my Kyocera Duraforce Pro in a cheap armband, but it was a little tough to see in sunlight.  I bought a Quadlock armband and a Quadlock universal mount to put on the Kyocera, which does help a lot because I don't have the layer of cheap clear plastic reducing the visibility of the phone.  But now I've ordered a Quadlock case for my Samsung Note 10+ because that phone has a larger and brighter screen that is easy to see in sunlight, so I'll use that with the Quadlock armband.  I position the armband on my forearm just below my elbow.

Here's my Kyocera in the cheapie armband:

mNR9PI5.jpg

Wow, thats a massive device to carry around. I couldnt fathom having to use something so large. Im simply amazed people carry things like that around all day with them. Looks very handy tho. Whats the end price on a device like that, assuming you dont want to sign your life away on contract or borrow it via lease? If i was one to burden myself with a large device like that each day, it would be an absolute no brainer to use it for eucw too. I mean hell, 2 devices is rarely less than one. Can you watch TV and text on that thing while riding? You know, teenager in a car style :o

50 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wow, thats a massive device to carry around. I couldnt fathom having to use something so large. Im simply amazed people carry things like that around all day with them. Looks very handy tho. Whats the end price on a device like that, assuming you dont want to sign your life away on contract or borrow it via lease? If i was one to burden myself with a large device like that each day, it would be an absolute no brainer to use it for eucw too. I mean hell, 2 devices is rarely less than one. Can you watch TV and text on that thing while riding? You know, teenager in a car style :o

That is the Kyocera Duraforce Pro (waterproof, rugged phone, 5.5" screen) - it cost US$120 for a new one, unlocked (not locked to any network) with no contract.

My other phone (Samsung Note 10+) is easier to see with a 6.8" screen, much better to use but not as rugged.  It was also a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

I am still a bit confused about what makes a watch compatible with EUC World. I know WearOS can run the app separately, but what do watches like the Pebble use?

Regardless, can anyone link some cheap watches that work with EUC World? I can't even find the Pebble at a decent price right now, what are some other cheapo options?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Tryptych

eucw runs on full android. Not the chopped down version that is some of these 'dumb' watches. I would suspect that most any cheapo full android will work. Of course how quickly and how durable the device is, matters more for user friendliness. I use a lemfo, but theres cheaper options out there. Stay away from HomTom, as I had one (android phone) and it worked, but the buttons fell out about the time I finally got all the bullshit removed and a few apps installed.

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

eucw runs on full android. Not the chopped down version that is some of these 'dumb' watches. I would suspect that most any cheapo full android will work. Of course how quickly and how durable the device is, matters more for user friendliness. I use a lemfo, but theres cheaper options out there. Stay away from HomTom, as I had one (android phone) and it worked, but the buttons fell out about the time I finally got all the bullshit removed and a few apps installed.

Thanks Shane. I want a cheaper solution than 'full android' - ideally less than $50. The Pebble would be fine if I could find one at a decent price. Otherwise there are a billion watches on Amazon, how can you tell which ones can connect to EUCW like the Pebble does?

• Like 1

I dont thnk the pebble does link does it? I thought it was merely a remote control that interprets your cell phone link? If you plan on using a phone, you can probably use a slimmed down android device more near your price range. If oyu want one thats going to be a standalone with eucw, you gotta pony up and buy full droid. Look around for driod phones, FULL DROID phones. If you arent picky, i bet some can be had for a super steal. You wont need much for specs and if scratches don't bug you...AliExpress has a few Full droid useable options for around the $80 price point or less. Regardless, you can WANT a nice and new full droid solution for pennies, but you know the old saying... want in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills faster

:pooping:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001874479306.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.500137566b7ZoK&algo_pvid=608db22b-951d-4527-9e82-60e253c57310&algo_expid=608db22b-951d-4527-9e82-60e253c57310-29&btsid=0b0a555616098255673553814e8937&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Pebble uses a helper app, and is only available used. EBay, usually under 50USD. You’ll want the “Pebble Time” version. Seba has full video instructions and download links to everything you need—be sure to do his premium thing so he can keep developing! I got a Moto G7 Play as the host since I’m normally an iOS type (long story). Cost 100USD but is fully functional and sometimes I toss it in a waterproof neck case so I can have the full EUCWorld experience. Like AVAS.

But mostly the pebble is a speedometer with a strong vibrating alarm. Works very well for that.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:26 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Im using a Lemfo T smart watch. It aint great, but it wasnt expensive. Its around or under $100 and it is a full android. When I say standalone, I mean that it can work with eucw while riding buck ass naked with no sim card or wifi and just the watch

Shane you said it takes logs but does it also do Tour Recording without a sim card? 

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Pebble uses a helper app, and is only available used. EBay, usually under 50USD. You’ll want the “Pebble Time” version. Seba has full video instructions and download links to everything you need—be sure to do his premium thing so he can keep developing! I got a Moto G7 Play as the host since I’m normally an iOS type (long story). Cost 100USD but is fully functional and sometimes I toss it in a waterproof neck case so I can have the full EUCWorld experience. Like AVAS.

But mostly the pebble is a speedometer with a strong vibrating alarm. Works very well for that.

Good info thanks... so is Pebble the only watch that can connect like this or are there other cheapo watches that can do this?

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Shane you said it takes logs but does it also do Tour Recording without a sim card? 

Good info thanks... so is Pebble the only watch that can connect like this or are there other cheapo watches that can do this?

i record csv and live tour without a sim card. I have no cell plan to my name, so it was mandatory. Hell, coverage out here is shit anyhow. Gps works pretty good, but it takes a moment to lock, and the mountains screw it up for specs of time, on occassion. I think the parice of the lemfo stopped around $150 sadly. I cant seem to find them for $100 anymore. When I arrive home, I log out of eucw then back and it automatically uploads thru my home wifi. It uploads all the csv and tour info at that time.

I think if you have a cell phone and plan to carry it, you have quite a few choices as 'companion' watches. I bought a fossil for pretty cheap, and I think it would have worked, had I owned an android phone. I didnt, so the watch went back and I bought a cheapo homtom. It worked but fell apart in short order. In desperation I tried the lemfo and thats what I use.

Edited by ShanesPlanet