MSP (HIgh Torque)

gon2fast

• 3 months later...

What are you trying to say? That it is original super sealed against dust and dirt?

Too bad I did not take a picture when I opened my MSP after a few hundred kilometers. That was really bad.

After I sealed it it's acceptable, but it would be really good if I taped up the air intake under the headlight.

I just think that your environment was not very dusty. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 11:49 PM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I just think that your environment was not very dusty. 

Maybe, but my MSP is always in the dirt, has tumbled down a few embankments/hills and never gets a bath LOL.  I was impressed, it was on point (cleanliness) with what I found when I cracked my V8 and V10. 

On a side note, I ordered another CST-1488 today. I wanted something a bit more aggressive for my trail wheel, but there is no stock available for knobby tires in the US right now. It is a decent all around tire, but loses considerable grip at 75% wear (IMHO).

My new CST-1488 showed up this afternoon. It took roughly 60 minutes to complete the tire change. Everything was rather simple and I only had to disconnect one wire.   

Ironically, as compared to the cleanly right side the inside of the left side was filthy. Lot of dirt ingress (little piles in the lower areas LOL). Going to dismantle it again in the near future to upgrade shell bolts and add weatherproofing. I will also give it a good cleaning on the inside.

All in all it was a pretty low stress task.

One thing I will stress though, don't start this task unless you have the correct tools and preferably an extra tube. Fortunately all one needs for this task is the following:

- Philips head screwdrivers (different lengths/width) 

- Allen wrenches (preferably long) 

- Metal tire levers/spoons

- Pump/air compressor of some sorts 

- Valve core tool - helpful with the removal of the tire/tube, but not necessary. 

- Grease - always nice to have grease LOL

• Like 1

During the tire installation I lost one screw - 1 of the 8 that connect the shell halves together (not the side covers). It is not a size that my local big box home store carries so I wandered into the my local hobby shop. Side note, one of the fellows who works at the hobby shop just purchased a 16X. Anyway, they were able to provide me with a longer version of what I needed, but it worked out fine for a temp fix.

Reached out to eWheels to see if they stocked the hardware as it was not listed in their parts section. They responded right away and are sending me an ample supply of replacement hardware at no cost. 

I love those guys!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was navigating down a embankment into a creek bed earlier and pitched myself a good 6 feet away from my MSP. Was very glad that the same invisible mud that stopped my MSP and sent me flying also saved me on impact LOL. The MSP bounced over some rocks and ended up in the mud as well... no damage my black painter pen can't fix, the wheel is a tank.

I guess it has around 1600 miles. Really, no complaints other than one of the LED sections on the front of the wheel seems to be failing (very dim as compared to the others, not like that when new). My trolley handle got a bit stiff so I put some candle wax on the guides and the handle has been like a wet noodle ever since, user error LOL. The first tire went very quick (1450 miles), but I use this wheel off road a lot so it makes sense.

Solid wheel for a large rider who wants to ride aggressively. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

the wheel is a tank

Luck, with me it looks different.

I love my MSP HT, but a tank it is not. 2 days ago I was riding up a very steep slope at 5 mph and my pedal got stuck on a protruding tree root which ripped the wheel out from under my feet and catapulted me into the dirt. After that, the front of the shell was broken apart, although I have a front and rear bumper glued very tightly. All 3 of the front case screws ripped out. On one side the threaded nuts broke and on the other side it ripped the screws through the hole. So now the screws are falling through. It's sad how ridiculously thin everything was constructed and then from such a cheap fragile plastic.

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 3

That is unfortunate that a crash at 5 mph can compromise the shell. My MSP has seen the floor a handful of times and I have been fortunate to not have any significant shell damage. I still think it is a tank because everything I have thrown at it (terrain) has been conquered with ease. Shell integrity without a roll cage and/or other re-enforcement will always be a risk for major external damage (vendors, Veteran excluded, are you listening? I am done with dropping thousands of dollars on a device that self destructs when I have to eject or crash).

Edited by gon2fast
NOYFB LOL
  • Like 3

I wonder why we arent seeing a more fleixble plastic used in these outer shells yet? I know my dirtbike fenders take serious beatings and survive. I wonder if a urethane type plastic is just TOO soft for the design? Maybe its simply a matter of finding cheap enough plastics? Surely theres a blend of plastics that can be used, that will offer us much better crash resistance across all brands? We got any plastic engineers here, or injection moulding plant managers?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Oh for sure theres decent plastics available (just ask Ninebot/Inmotion) but cheap Chinese plastics are about as good as cheap Chinese metals. It needs a cultural shift with most EUC firms, it's not really a product availability issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Oh for sure theres decent plastics available (just ask Ninebot/Inmotion) but cheap Chinese plastics are about as good as cheap Chinese metals. It needs a cultural shift with most EUC firms, it's not really a product availability issue.

The better Ninebot plastic is just as Chinese though. The difference in eventual quality is more related to budgets (and subsequent conception and execution, ABS itself cost very little) than culture.

It gets a bit unfair to insist on using « Chinese » as a synonym for « bad » (I’m looking at you, « chinesium » team)

While all cultures dont value pride in work the same way, China is nothing out of the ordinary. (Nor is most of the « west »)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, null said:

The better Ninebot plastic is just as Chinese though.

I'm not sure where you're going with that. I deliberately included Ninebot because they are Chinese, yet somehow they can implement decent plastics.

Point being, I was actually trying to get across that decent plastics do exist in China.

The difference in eventual quality is more related to budgets

I disagree. Inmotion can put out a far better built wheel than Begode, for not a lot more money. The difference is, Inmotion are culturally driven within the company to deliver a decent overall product. Begode couldn't give a monkeys other than the wheel being fast.

It gets a bit unfair to insist on using « Chinese » as a synonym for « bad » (I’m looking at you, « chinesium » team)

Chinese pot metal alloy with a sheer strength of pasta and crappy plastics that splinter like an arthritic, scurvy ridden sailor thrown to the bow are renowned the world over. If the Chinese didn't produce such cack in vast quantities, the Chinesium moniker would never exist. 

I agree, it's a little unfair when both DO exist in high quality over there, it's just A: finding it and B: getting Chinese companies to use it. It all comes down to the company. Most don't have the mindset of making a high quality product, they simply want whatever will give the best return in the shortest possible time with the least amount of effort. This is why I excluded Ninebot and Inmotion, both of whom spend shed loads of money on R&D. I couldn't even guess at how much more the Z10/V11 projects cost compared to say Gotways MSX.

• Like 1

I'm very uncomfortable with low product quality being attributed to an entire race of people when there is evidence across thousands of products we all use daily that quality products do come out of China.  What I think we're seeing here is the EUC side of those companies who are trying to make a product as cheaply as possible to compete on price, and they're cutting costs somewhere.  Pay peanuts, get monkeys?

Noting that I could be one voice in a sea of disagreement: Can we stop calling the rubbish products 'Chinese' and instead start calling them by the company name in the same way that we'd call a good product by the company name?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StuartL said:

I'm very uncomfortable with low product quality being attributed to an entire race of people

I admire your noble gallantry but I think it's a bit of a stretch (and potentially offensive) for you to even compare poor quality pot metal (Chinesium) to a race of people. In my eyes, it just means it emanates from China as a country, and has nothing to do with race whatsoever.

The reason that the term even exists is because by far the vast majority of poor materials found in Western countries emanates from China. Thats a fact, not a racist slur.

I'm not going to respond any more to this because if anyone thinks I have a racist bone in my body then they are miles off the mark.

Jeez, maybe I'll decide to have personal issue with the phrase 'British built cars were largely crap' next.

• Like 2

MSP HT is a good wheel for me. No issues with plastics as they seem to be the same quality standard that is applied to the V11 and Sherman (I own them, no misinformation here). I will say that plastics on my V8 and former V10 are much thicker, but as a proficient rider thinner shells do not worry me.

I suppose another component is that I have come to grips with sacrificing my wheel over myself if possible when in questionable situations. I have suffered many injuries trying to "preserve" my wheels. Not worth it and not happening anymore LOL. 

Edited by gon2fast
I can't spell

All manufacturers look for the cheapest/quickest route as it yields the highest returns. Sucks for the user, but it is part of running a successful business (IMHO). I still say "throw a roll cage on it" though LOL.

and a mini winch*!

*coming soon, but on the Sherman

• 2 weeks later...

Deposit is in for the EXN. My MSP needs a big brother LOL. Going to wait for the eWheels model though as they are working with GW to build a higher quality variation for their customers. Obviously we all know about the custom battery packs, but they (eWheels/GW) are addressing some other things that were recently pointed out as well. 

• Like 1

I had my first real ride of the season today. Took the MSP out to Spring Lake and did a nice a climb followed by a very technical decent over rugged terrain. I was drenched in stress sweat by the time I made it to bottom (first time completing it!) Felt nice to be out on the trails. Granted, I have been doing quick loops at the local hiking spot in my town, but that is usually a quick loop (15-20 minutes tops) then I leave before I piss anyone off or attract too much attention. 

Getting tired of jerk mountain bikers on the trails. I have been run off the trail several times this month. Mainly because these jerks can't stop/react quick enough. I feel bad for hikers and dogs...

Edited by gon2fast
Meh
  • Like 1

Trail Season 2021 is officially on in my parts. I have done almost 100 miles this week so far, mostly on my MSP up in the hills! I have asked my EUC "dealer" to configure my incoming EXn with a more aggressive tire. 

No broken body/wheel parts, life is good!

• Like 1

My MSP did the Gotway hop today. Was navigating through a very rugged section of rocks up in the hills and had my tire wash/slide out while trying to keep a line through a very narrow section. There were no escape routes at that point in time so I hopped off to save myself from getting ground into the rocks. Wheel hit another rock and sent itself into the air spinning. All I could do was watch and ponder how much a replacement shell was going to cost* LOL. It came crashing down on a bunch of rocks, brushed it off and continued my decent. 

30 seconds later same thing happens again. Was trying to navigate up a rock and due to the fine soil covering everything on the trail my tire slipped down the rock pitching me to side so I had to hop off again. I was able to keep a foot on the wheel so it did not hop again, but I sure felt like that section kicked my ass.

I went back few hours ago and did the loop 2 more times with success.

https://ibb.co/8zPxvSs  

* $250 USD (Body shell, L&R side panels)

• Like 1