MSP (HIgh Torque)

gon2fast

I received my Gotway MSP today. Coming from 3 InMotion wheels this should be an adventure! I have done roughly 15 miles on the MSP so far. Very fast/strong and my lower legs hurt like hell, lol.

msp1.1.jpeg

• Like 2

BTW - after failing to sell it on CL my G3 has been handed down to my 8 year old daughter! 

Somehow during the technical introduction I ended up with a bloody shin...

Tomorrow is mounting/dismounting! 

• Like 1

Leg pain is starting to fade! I did buy a variety of after market shoe/heel inserts to help with the lack of padding. Also trying to decide whether or not to slime the tube. I hesitate because the last tube that I slimmed never held air pressure correctly (excessive seepage) after the fact.

pad materials.jpeg

I am finding that the MSP does not work well with guitar stands for storage. Going to have to concoct a solution today. Temporary solution in place, lol.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 3

DSCN7922.thumb.JPG.f0ab52a6f05b7793184b6552c2d3e539.JPG

2x4, 2x6 some screws and 10 minutes. Its nice having the tire supported as I neednt fear turning it on while on the stands. Using a router to make grooves to loosely hold the folded pedals, MAY be considered a specialty tool tho.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:32 AM, gon2fast said:

better look at the rim/wheel.

msp1.2.jpeg

I think your wheel looks awesome with black livery IMO, cant think why I like it so much ;)

Edit: Pic removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

250 Mile Update - 

Leg pain has finally ceased. My wife commandeered my pad enhancement supplies anyway. I am going to see how much it will cost to have a professional upholstery shop assist so the updated pads look professional. 

Guitar stand still not working for storage (Gator Frame Works), the unit slides off of the upper rubber piece while charging. Need to get a wood stand like Planemo"s. Have the materials, lacking energy though, lol.

The near crashes from day 1 now have a real explanation (still user error though, lol).  I did not truly adapt to the wider stance required to ride/control the MSP. I was still clinching the wheel trying to hold onto my V10 stance. I have since relaxed myself, extended my stance and gained more control of the wheel . on the flip side, my V10 feels super awkward now. Kind of worried about how the flat pedals on the V11 are going to feel, it will be my wife's wheel (wink, wink), but still concerned 

I have also learned to use the trolley handle. Not a fan of it in any way, but I have no hesitation with taking the MSP on errands now.

To-Do's for 750 Mile Update - 

* MSP specific stand

* Side Lighting - not looking for dancing rainbows or any of that, but most likely a couple of red or white LED pucks I can Velcro on for night riding. Onboard LEDs are barely visible under all of the dust

* Headlight Shroud -  on the fence with this enhancement. I had a pedestrian on a pathway state that they saw me coming and got out of the way based on the beam of my light as I approached the path. I know that the bright light can piss off people, but I would rather someone see me and be annoyed

* Pad Enhancement - As previously stated, going to reach out to a upholstery shop for assistance

Quick Facts-

Rider weight - 255lbs

Preferred Terrain - offroad (60%)/ paved roads (40%)

Average Speed - 12-15 MPH

Top Speed  - 25.4 MPH - no intention to go faster

Tire PSI - 40

Ride Mode - Medium

Applications - Gotway & Darknessbot

Add-Ons - Serfas LED bicycle lights (on handle) for night time riding

• Like 2

Jason from eWheels has confirmed that 150 MSP units have been shipped. 2 failures have been reported. IMHO that seems like a reasonable failure rate. I am going to keep pushing my MSP, not worried about the QC discussions.

Took my first swipe at a stand today. I only had a small amount of scrap wood and nails, no screws or braces so there will be a second attempt in the near future. At least I do not have to watch my wheel bobble around on my guitar stands anymore, lol.

MSP Stand1.0.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got back from a fun afternoon of trail riding at Santa Rosa, CA's Spring Lake. Also received the first battle scars on my MSP! I was coming down a moderately steep decline that was covered in large jagged rocks. Came up on a rock that I did not think that I could get over so I was going to use it stop and hold the wheel in place while I found another line. The MSP rolled up the rock with no issues other than the rider not expecting to move forward. I basically fell over and the wheel tumbled down the rocky path for a bit. Just some light scratches to the side cover and scratches on the pedal/hangers, no big deal. I was fully geared up (including the roost guard I bought on the way to the trails) so no injuries! I am sure that there will be many more after this one, but at least I got the first crash in the books.

MSPbattlescars1.jpg

• Like 1

MSP was offline for several hours today. I was riding near Stafford Lake in Marin County, CA and somehow got a 6 inch branch lodged in my inner shell. Ride was over, massive friction/noise coming from wheel and was half a mile from my car with a wheel fighting me the whole way back, fun times lol. I had to use a long flat head screwdriver to free the lodged branch. Once I got that done the branch was still stuck in the case so more battling with the wheel was required. 

I was back up and running around 8PM, but was too tired to have an extended ride, lol.

phukingstick.jpeg

3 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

MSP was offline for several hours today. I was riding near Stafford Lake in Marin County, CA and somehow got a 6 inch branch lodged in my inner shell. Ride was over, massive friction/noise coming from wheel and was half a mile from my car with a wheel fighting me the whole way back, fun times lol. I had to use a long flat head screwdriver to free the lodged branch. Once I got that done the branch was still stuck in the case so more battling with the wheel was required. 

I was back up and running around 8PM, but was too tired to have an extended ride, lol.

phukingstick.jpeg

At one point in time, MANY years ago.. .  A tree had an idea. That idea included making seeds and offspring. One day long in the future, one if its offspring would lose a limb. This limb was destined for your euc. The entire mission was in fact... to ruin the rest of your ride. When you go by that same area again, listen closely and youll hear the sound of trees laughing at you. All the tech in the world, brought down by a dead limb.....  fukn humans.   :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

At one point in time, MANY years ago.. .  A tree had an idea. That idea included making seeds and offspring. One day long in the future, one if its offspring would lose a limb. This limb was destined for your euc. The entire mission was in fact... to ruin the rest of your ride. When you go by that same area again, listen closely and youll hear the sound of trees laughing at you. All the tech in the world, brought down by a dead limb.....  fukn humans.   :)

The trees too??? I thought I had my only walk of shame past all of the hikers that previously thought I was cool, LOL

• Like 1

A few observations...

Oscillation 

yes, it is present on the high torque model at moderate/high speed. the silver lining is that it is not an issue. The sensation is a mild pulse that really has no affect on handling. I do not usually ride above 23MPH so it may not affect me as much as others, just saying...

Wobbles

Yes, present as well. I do not squeeze the shell so it is not as much as an issue for me. When I do experience wobbling I can resolve the issue by widening my stance.

My New Best Friend

I had to fix the fence the other day ago and right when I finished my trusty drill fell off of the fence and cracked in two. Needless to say I needed to acquire a new drill. After shopping around a bit I settled on a Ryobi solution based on the P737. The P737 is a hand held air compressor that supports the 18V ONE+ battery system. Having a small  battery powered air compressor in my backpack is awesome for varied terrains.