MSP (HIgh Torque)

gon2fast

Added some hooks/wedges to help with steep climbs. By default they also assist with acceleration if needed. Adhesive is strong and allows for on the fly re-positioning, currently with no loss of adhesion. The foam is very rigid and very able to take the pressure from my large frame. The big deal for me is that the solution did not change the feel of riding while not engaging the hooks/wedges which so far has been successful. Only on day two of testing so more to come...

hooks1.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I went from V10F to MSX (slightly different to your question) and I found that the MSX didn't really suit me.  I found that for my small frame (I'm only 5'6" and have smallish hips) that the MSX was too wide to be comfortable.  I don't think this is a fault with the MSX, I know of plenty of people who found the MSX more comfortable than my V10F, but I have come across other people who feel the same as I and therefore it is something to be aware of.

One of the other things I found with the MSX was that it was unrideable uphill at my weight without power pads.  Even with all of my weight on the front of the pedals the MSX didn't generate enough torque to go uphill.  With power pads in 'soft' mode it was rideable but still noticeably worse than my V10F.

Where the MSX is better is in outright performance.  Once you're moving the MSX is a QUICK beast.  I imagine the MSP is even faster.  Obviously the battery capacity is massively improved over the V10(F) too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StuartL said:

I went from V10F to MSX (slightly different to your question) and I found that the MSX didn't really suit me.  I found that for my small frame (I'm only 5'6" and have smallish hips) that the MSX was too wide to be comfortable.  I don't think this is a fault with the MSX, I know of plenty of people who found the MSX more comfortable than my V10F, but I have come across other people who feel the same as I and therefore it is something to be aware of.

One of the other things I found with the MSX was that it was unrideable uphill at my weight without power pads.  Even with all of my weight on the front of the pedals the MSX didn't generate enough torque to go uphill.  With power pads in 'soft' mode it was rideable but still noticeably worse than my V10F.

Where the MSX is better is in outright performance.  Once you're moving the MSX is a QUICK beast.  I imagine the MSP is even faster.  Obviously the battery capacity is massively improved over the V10(F) too.

Thanks for your input, i use power pads on my v10 because i found the body a tad thin as Im a fair bit taller than you around 6.4ft so not sure if the width factor would apply to me,  wonder how the msp torque version compares to a v10 in regards to accessing that torque easily , id imagine its much easier than a regular msx .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

Thanks for your input, i use power pads on my v10 because i found the body a tad thin as Im a fair bit taller than you around 6.4ft so not sure if the width factor would apply to me,  wonder how the msp torque version compares to a v10 in regards to accessing that torque easily , id imagine its much easier than a regular msx .

I spent two years on the V10. I was very happy with my transition to the MSP, but I struggled with the width of the wheel and braking. After a few weeks of adjusting to the MSP I could no longer ride my V10 as it felt too thin and flat (pedals). 

I find it rather easy to get torque/speed from the MSP without having to engage my hook/pad solution. I installed the hook/pads to assist with climbing (they keep me from falling over the front of wheel). If you go with the MSP (HT) you will be amazed at the terrain you can conquer!

Another plus is that in the several months that I have owned the MSP I don't think that the battery has gone below 40%. Not having to worry about charging everyday is awesome (plus the MSP comes with a 3 amp charger!)

4 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I spent two years on the V10. I was very happy with my transition to the MSP, but I struggled with the width of the wheel and braking. After a few weeks of adjusting to the MSP I could no longer ride my V10 as it felt too thin and flat (pedals). 

I find it rather easy to get torque/speed from the MSP without having to engage my hook/pad solution. I installed the hook/pads to assist with climbing (they keep me from falling over the front of wheel). If you go with the MSP (HT) you will be amazed at the terrain you can conquer!

Another plus is that in the several months that I have owned the MSP I don't think that the battery has gone below 40%. Not having to worry about charging everyday is awesome (plus the MSP comes with a 3 amp charger!)

Thanks. i was gonna ask how it rides under lower battery and what it limits your speed to under 40/50%, my main worries about the msp are areas the v10 shines, waterproofing and that awkward trolley handle.

If you're willing to disassemble your wheel (and void the warranty) the waterproofing issue can be resolved :D

The way Inmotion do it is in three layers:

1. Outer splash guard.  The MSP already has this.
  2. All control electronics in a semi-sealed box.  You would need to engineer this for the MSP if it doesn't already exist.  The MSX control electronics are not well protected.
  3. Conformal coating on the PCB.  This is a spray or brush-on coating to protect the PCB against short circuits if droplets of water get on it.  Make sure you don't compromise heat sinks, PCB connectors or battery connectors if you retrofit this.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, StuartL said:

If you're willing to disassemble your wheel (and void the warranty) the waterproofing issue can be resolved :D

The way Inmotion do it is in three layers:

1. Outer splash guard.  The MSP already has this.
  2. All control electronics in a semi-sealed box.  You would need to engineer this for the MSP if it doesn't already exist.  The MSX control electronics are not well protected.
  3. Conformal coating on the PCB.  This is a spray or brush-on coating to protect the PCB against short circuits if droplets of water get on it.  Make sure you don't compromise heat sinks, PCB connectors or battery connectors if you retrofit this.

Ok so that means it's not a wheel to be ridden in the rain.. i guess that rules it out as my next wheel then..

8 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

Ok so that means it's not a wheel to be ridden in the rain.. i guess that rules it out as my next wheel then..

I can't speak for the MSP, I have no experience at all.  I can say with first hand experience that the MSX is not well protected from the rain and it seems reasonable speculation that the same approach has been taken for the MSP.  Others with first hand experience of the MSP should be along shortly...

• Like 1

I try to avoid all water with my wheels, but I think that MSP is puddle worthy. I would avoid water on the top of the unit (I don't trust the exposed buttons to be sealed and water can enter the unit from the trolley handle shaft as well). 

• Like 1

I hit 1000 miles today. No issues with the wheel so far. It has hit the ground several times and is still looking nice. This has been very good upgrade from my V10. 

When my V11 is back up and running I think that I will move forward with getting a knobby tire for the MSP (for the upcoming Winter months), installing LED controllers and apply additional weatherproofing to the internals.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brought the MSP to work today because I had to travel between two campuses that are roughly 5 miles apart. Such a pleasure to ride and I appreciate the compact size and simplistic design. I like the trolley handle, though it does feel a bit flimsy when turning the unit (it is going to break, lol). It is all good though, I have a 84V MSX w/o a motor that I can pull parts from if needed.

BTW, does anybody know if Gotway addressed the issue  with headlight angle on the RS? The MSP has a dual 3000Lm headlight solution that blinds pedestrians (have not tested from a car yet). If the RS is twice as bright I hope GW found a way to point the RS headlight towards the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my first long street ride on my MSP in a long while. Such a nice wheel. Really did not miss the suspension much. The low end power is unreal. I did overshoot a couple of turns getting used to the MSP's wide stance again LOL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Raptor - WOW!!! what kind of pads are you running?

Original Pads

+

https://hulaj.market/gotway-msx/114-speedypads-dla-gotway-msx-ulatwiajace-hamowanie-i-przyspieszanie.html

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Do the pads have lights/reflectors associated with the ends or did you add those after the fact?

These are just reflectors, that I glued to myself . :)  when i had pasted them then the idea arose to make them lights later .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raptor said:

These are just reflectors, that I glued to myself . :)  when i had pasted them then the idea arose to make them lights later .

Great job, really nice work. Do you have a link for the reflectors?