Kryziss

Reasons to use a wrist mirror

I have taken the leap and ordered a 16X. I have upgraded my safety gear, because with great power comes great responsibility. I am considering the idea of making a wrist mirror and I would like to know exactly how it enhances your riding experience. Since I only have a V8 for now, I cannot go over 30kph. Is it more difficult to turn your head at higher speeds without making the wheel turn? Is it to keep your eyes on potholes without interruption? Or is it just a more convenient way to look behind you?

8 minutes ago, Kryziss said:

I have taken the leap and ordered a 16X. I have upgraded my safety gear, because with great power comes great responsibility. I am considering the idea of making a wrist mirror and I would like to know exactly how it enhances your riding experience. Since I only have a V8 for now, I cannot go over 30kph. Is it more difficult to turn your head at higher speeds without making the wheel turn? Is it to keep your eyes on potholes without interruption? Or is it just a more convenient way to look behind you?

I use an inexpensive wrist mirror I bought on amazon, and I've found it super convenient for taking quick looks behind. 

I've got two helmets, a full face motocross style, and a 3/4 helmet with a big flip down face shield.  I've found with the 3/4 helmet, it is more difficult to turn my head and get a clean look behind me, and will never wear this helmet without the wrist mirror.  I've actually doubled back home, after realizing I forgot to put the mirror on.  With the motocross style helmet, my peripheral view is better, and I've found I don't need the mirror, but still like it on.

I've tried to use the mirror while riding backwards, and have yet to get comfortable trying that.  Simply tuning the head and looking for backward riding works better for me.

I wear it on my left wrist, which is where I'd think it's best suited, but I try to keep my arm somewhat tucked into my body when I reach up to look at the mirror - so it doesn't look like I'm signaling for a turn

I bought one of these cheap wrist mirrors and wouldn't be without it :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Wrist-Type-Convex-Cycling-Rearview-Mirror-with-Plastic-Cotton-Armband/254505493179?hash=item3b41b5a2bb:g:4hAAAOSwfedePKzr

The glass is convex so it's not great for seeing cars in the far distance but it's ideal for a quick look before turning or altering road position.

For the price it's worth buying one and if it doesn't suit your needs you haven't lost a lot.

13 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

I've tried to use the mirror while riding backwards, and have yet to get comfortable trying that.  Simply tuning the head and looking for backward riding works better for me.

I wear it on my left wrist, which is where I'd think it's best suited, but I try to keep my arm somewhat tucked into my body when I reach up to look at the mirror - so it doesn't look like I'm signaling for a turn

These are really interesting points I hadn't thought of. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and great buying options! :thumbup:

I have a wrist mirror, I've had it a few weeks. Sometimes I remember that it's there, most of the time I still just turn my head and look backwards. It probably takes time to get used to it, but so far it's not on my "must have list". If you can turn your head without turning the EUC then that's just as quick and easy. YMMV.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, DjPanJan said:

This is the same one for those of us in the US on Amazon. I just ordered on. 

https://amzn.to/2YhVKjB

On 5/25/2020 at 11:18 PM, Gasmantle said:

I bought one of these cheap wrist mirrors and wouldn't be without it :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Wrist-Type-Convex-Cycling-Rearview-Mirror-with-Plastic-Cotton-Armband/254505493179?hash=item3b41b5a2bb:g:4hAAAOSwfedePKzr

The glass is convex so it's not great for seeing cars in the far distance but it's ideal for a quick look before turning or altering road position.

For the price it's worth buying one and if it doesn't suit your needs you haven't lost a lot.

Same here. Can't ride without it. Don't forget looking behind you takes a lot more time than just quickly glancing in your mirror. That is time not spent looking where you are going.

It has come to a point where I feel like something is missing when riding my bicycle, without mirrors :D 

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, rolekl said:

I have a wrist mirror, I've had it a few weeks. Sometimes I remember that it's there, most of the time I still just turn my head and look backwards. It probably takes time to get used to it, but so far it's not on my "must have list". If you can turn your head without turning the EUC then that's just as quick and easy. YMMV.

turn your head and look, easy peasey. The staggering amount of gear that people are wearing and using to ride a simple euc, astounds me. At one point, doesnt staying at home and being all warm and safe, make more sense? If you arent looking far enough ahead that glancing behind you while you travel 10' forward, is an issue... perhaps a mirror is NOT the solution... At 70mph in a car, I somehow manage to turn my head to change lanes AND look in a side mirror, w/o running shit over. Oddly enough, my car came standard issue with turn signals and the driver even uses them.. no cell phone required.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

turn your head and look, easy peasey.

I'm not an owl :D 

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If you arent looking far enough ahead that glancing behind you while you travel 10' forward, is an issue...

2 seconds at 25mph = 73 feet or 22 meters for the rest of the world. 

Posted (edited)

I must be part owl, as its not. It also takes less than 1/2 second to glance behind me, so its more like 18 feet(6 meters). You do realize that trying to look into and gain focus in a tiny convex mirror, ALSO takes your eyes off the road in front of you, right? If he can't quickly glance behind himself, then half his question doesnt really apply and yes, HE needs a mirror. I typically look more than 50 feet ahead while riding and quite a bit more while driving(10 seconds minimum). Mirrors are uber cheap almost anywhere, so it makes sense to just try a few. All of us have different needs, so perhaps his and mine differ greatly. I'd guess that if someone ALWAYS wore a helmet and had a tiny mirror in their field of view, they could kind of see with it from peripheral vision, but i also know that eyes dont identify much until they STOP moving and locate.Otherwise its still just a gamble of what one really sees. I prefer to turn and look, as its reliant on what I will always be wearing, and I abhor things in my front field of view. When i turn and look, I get a full sized look w/o having to worry about a tiny mirror, its angle of view, or its cleanliness. Horses for courses i guess.After many decades of riding city streets on bicycles, skates, rollerblades and skateboards, I never felt the need for a mirror. The biggest danger has always been cross traffic pulling out in front of me. Last time I got run over was from behind/aside me and I saw him coming with the typical 80's gear of shorts and a t-shirt with tennis shoes. Kind of undermines my argument about cross traffic, but it was a rare occurrence and error on his part. Cross traffic seems fairly regular. Probably depends most on personal comfort and ride areas I suppose. A mirror on my wrist would only work the 1% of the time I bothered even donning the flexmeters.. My neck stays with me at all times :)   *fwiw, I have convex mirrors here and velcro. Screw amazon, I find em at discount stores, gas stations, truck stops and auto parts stores for nearly nothing.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

If you ride in traffic having some kind of mirror way smarter then trying to look behind you, especially for newer riders. Absolutely Iove my little 2" sideview mirror.