UK: Time for PEV Pressure

Jon Stern

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Cars dont get driven on the pavement at 35mph. Nor do bicycles usually for that matter.

The problem is that whilst there are so many pevs out there capable of more than 15mph, people will insist on doing it in areas where its not suitable. Therefore anti social.

In Paris the sidewalks are filled with driving bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles and cars. The day those are banned I’ll accept a ban on PEVs for that reason.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nic said:

Didn't Germany legalise these last year

E scooters yes but all the rest not. 

Euc‘s are seen as motorized vehicles, you need insurance which you can’t get and a drivers license.

6 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Hoverboards, Segways, electric scooters and unicycle wheels could be seized police warn

Adults risk a £300 if they or their children are caught using an electric powered vehicle illegally and having the transport seized after a number of instances in Gloucester.

Electric powered vehicles being illegally used on pavements and cycle paths could be seized as police launch a new crackdown on anti-social behaviour.

Officers from Gloucestershire Constabulary have issued the warning after "a growing number" of instances where they have been used by many people around Gloucesterunaware they are committing an offence.

Current legislation bans powered transporters - which includes electric scooters, e-hover boards, electric powered unicycle wheels and e-Segways - being driven on public pathways.

Although many are available to buy from high street stores, they cannot be ridden freely on the country's streets.

They can only be used on private land with permission of the land owner. They must also be registered to be used on the road.

Now Gloucestershire Constabulary said the force will seize the vehicles if they are used illegally on pavements and cycle paths and said parents could face prosecution is their children are caught using the vehicles illegally.

Adults using e-scooters on the street are committing the same offence of using a motor vehicle with no insurance, and risk a £300 fixed penalty notice and six points on a driving licence.
Chief Inspector Al Barby said: "While these may seem like fun and environmentally-friendly ways of getting around, these vehicles can be dangerous to other road users as well as to the riders themselves.

@stephenjust found this.

Same shit like here in Germany 🤮

Yeah it's ridiculous ,,aaah well I'll keep on riding and not think about it, the v11 looks very road worthy 😁

I see bikes on pavements all the time but the only reason for that is because there's no cycle lanes ,  i love cycle lanes when there is some i feel safe , the government need to spend money for the future mobility 👍

8 hours ago, Nic said:

At about 3.50 into the video he says the government are not making it mandatory to wear a helmet BUT if you get get caught on one other than rented you get fined and points on your licence cause it's classed as a motor vehicle where you do need a helmet 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

County law in the usa is great. Those city folk dont have a clue and we shouldnt entice them to move out to rural areas and ruin it. Its been the norm to allow 12 year olds to drive farm equipment. Its still on the books out here that you can drive tractors and 4-wheelers and anything else unregistered on rural dirt roads. Laws that apply to city folk, CANNOT apply to country folk, as people need to eat and the laws cripple farmers. Still, keep it quiet, once the city moves to the country, we ALL lose.

I think its great that youngsters are not only allowed but encouraged to get stuck in in the usa. I have seen 12 year olds who appear fully skilled in driving tractors/4x4's, using plant machinery, chainsaws, forklifts hell even gun skills where it might be needed to protect the farm/family from wild animals. Over here it seems most adults cant even manage to parallel park a smart car.

I love the way that rural folk in the usa view youngsters as a valuable and useable member of the team, which of course they are. And the kids love it of course, feeling they are treated like adults and getting to operate cool stuff at the same time :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

I think its great that youngsters are not only allowed but encouraged to get stuck in in the usa. I have seen 12 year olds who appear fully skilled in driving tractors/4x4's, using plant machinery, chainsaws, forklifts hell even gun skills where it might be needed to protect the farm/family from wild animals. Over here it seems most adults cant even manage to parallel park a smart car.

I love the way that rural folk in the usa view youngsters as a valuable and useable member of the team, which of course they are. And the kids love it of course, feeling they are treated like adults and getting to operate cool stuff at the same time :)

I've lived in the US for 21 years. Driving skills here are quite bad. Worse than the UK. The driving tests are far too easy. People also seem to believe that their car is an extension of their living room, so commonly engage in all sorts of activities while driving (eating, drinking, putting on makeup, etc.). You see that in the UK too, but it's very rare. Here it's routine.

Maybe farm kids are encouraged to get "stuck in in the US", but that's because there's a strong agricultural community and tradition here. It's a legacy, not the result of some enlightened attitude towards parenting. When I moved here, I noticed that teenagers (in urban areas, at least) were less mature than their UK peers. Eighteen year old here are kids who you really couldn't have a decent conversation with. In the UK, I had friends that age who and they were all far more mature.

Having 12 year old driving tractors may seem cool, but farm accidents and deaths here are sadly too common, and 44% of farm accidents are tractor related. Agriculture ranks third in occupational deaths (after construction and transport). Every day, 38 children are injured on farms and every three days a kids dies in a agricultural accident in the US.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 2

You are correct. The city is a much better place to live................................

I did have to take a driving test with a person in the truck. No joke, I had to parallel park a truck that was 35 feet long. ( the straight front axle made it a breeze)  I had to drive around cones set up in a figure 8. ( the front and back of the truck clearly passed over the cones while the tires started between them. I had to back up 100 feet between cones. ( It was super easy without the trailer) We got out on the road and had to do a 3 point turn backing into a narrow dirt access road. 
I do see people doing stupid things in the city. Driving while reading and eating and doing makeup. I see people doing stupid things in the country too. ( refer to Dukes of Hazard) 

The city a better place to live... hahahaha   keep promoting that so I can keep living in near perfection without anyone else moving out here. I spent my first 30 years in a city, it only took 2 in the country to realize how stupid I had been. My original DL test WAS in the city, as well as my second when I moved across the country. I think testing is a per county basis, some bother, some don't.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Having 12 year old driving tractors may seem cool, but farm accidents and deaths here are sadly too common, and 44% of farm accidents are tractor related. Agriculture ranks third in occupational deaths (after construction and transport). Every day, 38 children are injured on farms and every three days a kids dies in a agricultural accident in the US.

As I typed my last post, I did wonder what the stats were on youngsters getting hurt whilst operating/being around such machinery. I also had memories of seeing news regarding youngsters accidentally being involved in firearms incidents. I take your point. Thanks.

51 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The city a better place to live... hahahaha   keep promoting that so I can keep living in near perfection without anyone else moving out here. I spent my first 30 years in a city, it only took 2 in the country to realize how stupid I had been. My original DL test WAS in the city, as well as my second when I moved across the country. I think testing is a per county basis, some bother, some don't.

I think it's different for different people, and for different stages of people's lives. Some people love the bustle of big cities, the nightlife, the dining options, and so on. Other like the pace of life, the space, the natural beauty of the countryside. There's been a tension between urban vs rural living since ancient times, but to me it's all about personal choice.

Find the place which is right for you, and right for where you are at this stage of your life.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Shhhhhhh!!! You’ll attract the city folk!!

• Like 1

If anyone wishes to take the UK DfT's online survey they have until 03 July 2020 to do so.

Respond to Call for Evidence

Overview

Front cover of the Future of Transport Regulatory Review: Call for Evidence

This online survey provides a digital way to submit your response to the Future of Transport Regulatory Review Call for Evidence.

Responding to this online survey means you can start, pause and save your response as you go. It also makes analysis of the evidence submitted much easier.

Please note that, due to COVID-19, we have extended the consultation period for this call for evidence from 22 May to 3 July.

Why We Are Consulting

This call for evidence asks for information and views on three areas of the Future of Transport Regulatory Review, as well as on three wider issues: 

• Micromobility vehicles
  • Flexible bus services
  • Mobility as a Service (MaaS) 
  • Ensuring inclusive future transport
  • Enabling trials of new modes
  • Local leadership of new transport services

Privacy Notice

The Future of Transport programme is a joint programme across the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the Department for Transport (DfT). The Future of Transport Regulatory Review Call for Evidence is being managed by DfT, but this online survey is hosted by BEIS, who is the data controller for this online survey. Delib provides the CitizenSpace platform to BEIS under agreement but not to DfT. 

Data from this online survey will be processed in accordance with the BEIS Personal Information Charter. For more detailed information about how your data may be processed and shared with other Government departments, including DfT, please see the following Privacy Notices within the charter: "BEIS Consultations" and "Responding to an online consultation (CitizenSpace)". 

If you have any concerns or questions about the use of your data submitted via this online survey specifically, contact the BEIS Data Protection Officer at dataprotection@beis.gov.uk

If you would like to respond by email to the call for evidence, please email futureoftransport@dft.gov.uk. Personal information included in responses sent directly to DfT will be processed in accordance with the DfT Personal Information Charter.

Edited by Nic

I’m not from the UK so I should not be answering that survey, however I wanted to have a look at it and tried the link (first one) and it doesn’t seem to work. Just mentioning in case. Good luck with  your regulators.

Updating the UK BEIS consultation link for those who want it.

https://beisgovuk.citizenspace.com/ccav/future-of-transport-regulatory-review/

I'm hopeful we can ride on the pavement at a respectable speed (like jogging speed). The roads of London seem to dangerous to me for a EUCs. I was using my electric scooter for a long time on the pavement (riding sensibly of course, and having years of experience on a kick scooter). The proliferation of escooters (and more powerful ones) makes me feel like I now will be forced on to the road. The whole purpose behind getting an escooter and EUC was to avoid getting a bike and having to use the roads.

Fingers crossed some logic will prevail.

I'm always surprised to see eskateboarders on the roads. I can't imagine it being comfortable with the crappy road surface!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, null said:

I’m not from the UK so I should not be answering that survey, however I wanted to have a look at it and tried the link (first one) and it doesn’t seem to work. Just mentioning in case. Good luck with  your regulators.

Link now fixed.:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, skyflyer said:

What organisations are lobbying for EUCs in the UK?  I run a market research company and would like to offer them my support. 

https://rideables.org/

Contact @Afeez Kay  on here or @Afeez Kay at https://www.erides.co.uk/erides-electric-unicycle-products