Changing riding style / carving.

7 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

He is riding a 16X with a CX-321 tyre.
Only a 16X and a Z10 can carve like that. You can slide the wheel under you and hang off the side.
If you do this on a conventional wheel like the 16S you will land on your side.
The 16X with the CX moves side to side easily at high speeds.

Stop it your killing me I miss that feeling with the 16x😁

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha sorry! I have started getting a decent carving style on the CYT with FW 2.02 though.
But yeah haha...

I'm going back to 2.02 today after going from 1.05 to 2.02 then to 1.07 then to 1.05 then 2.02 and now back on 1.07 and today I think I'll be looking the 2.02 again😂😂

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Then take your bloomin' Z10 out for a good hiding then!

That's true I haven't give it a good hiding for ages 😁👍

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, winterwheel said:

I bought an MTen3 and Mrs. Winterwheel won't let me ride it -- because it is her wheel now. She absolutely loves that thing. I meant to post this advice earlier, but anyone having trouble getting their significant other to ride should give them a cute little white wheel that is ultra-maneuverable and doesn't demand to be ridden at high speeds.

My g/f has confidence in her riding ability and is into speed (she's a former gymnast, so that figures...). Getting her to slow down or wear safety gear is an issue. :blink1:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 2:03 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

But what's the advantage of carving? is it just style? is it to stop the wheel from wobbling? is it to wear the tyre out quicker? is it to annoy drivers behind? or is it to scythe down as many pedestrians as possible? ;)

Amen to that. Pisses me off when I see vids of people doing this in crowded areas. It adds no function to the ride, and really doesn't take any actual skill to pull off. Don't want to be a party pooper but i'd reserve this so called "Carving" or as the layman sees it "Wobbling" for unpopulated areas or empty roads..

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 6:40 AM, Tinkererboi said:

Amen to that. Pisses me off when I see vids of people doing this in crowded areas. It adds no function to the ride, and really doesn't take any actual skill to pull off. Don't want to be a party pooper but i'd reserve this so called "Carving" or as the layman sees it "Wobbling" for unpopulated areas or empty roads..

Thank you, finally a post that i feel i can relate too in this thread. 
I'm struggling to find what the diffcuilty is in what most people call a "carve", the definition that was given in OPs post seems to describe what i would call a "carve" which is a large sweeping movement where your throwing your weight into the wheel and going with it. I wouldn't nessecaryily call it a skill, it seems to come naturally to most once you've gained trust in the unit. Yeah some people may have more finnesse but i think its largely comes down to how much trust you have in a wheel 

On 10/15/2020 at 1:40 AM, Tinkererboi said:

I agree in sentiment, but I'm curious as what you define as 'skill'. Being able to control an euc in a straight line or carve in a controlled manner, sound like sklls to me. In MY reality, riding straight up with minimal movement takes LESS skill, than flowing with knees bent and working the wheel in a carve. Even more skill is trying the same kind of carving on a standard wheel, then trying it on a sherman. If it took no 'skill', why would carving differ between wheels, yet going in a straight line... not so much?

@NickNonsense Gaining "trust" in a unit is just another way of recognizing a skill is involved. First is straight line riding skill. Then comes comfort and carving, then comes backwards, then comes jumps, then you tie them all together. Every  step is a new skillset. I suppose by your definition, riding an euc in a very plain fashion also takes no skill? Just because someone is careless about time and place, doesnt mitigate the fact they possess skill that enables them to even do so.

You guys are all sounding like VERY old men. :sleep1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

In MY reality, riding straight up with minimal movement takes LESS skill, than flowing with knees bent and working the wheel in a carve. Even more skill is trying the same kind of carving on a standard wheel, then trying it on a sherman. If it took no 'skill', why would carving differ between wheels, yet going in a straight line... not so much?

Sure, flowing with intent to navigate around actual obstacles takes skill. Swinging one's bum left and right blindly for no reason doesn't. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Sure, flowing with intent to navigate around actual obstacles takes skill. Swinging one's bum left and right blindly for no reason doesn't. 

Of course both take skill. Swinging on a wheel at all, takes skill. Just because something may be pointless, doesnt mean it isnt a skill. Wouldnt it be easy to surmise that a person who is good at 'swinging one's bum", would have a skill that would assist them in the skill of 'navigate around obstacles'? ANY purposeful deviation of calm and centered riding, would be gaining skill in overall balance and control. Maybe it IS idiodic to shake your ass on a wheel, but it's still a skill.  Carving is a skill and I stand behind that completely. Carving like a jackass is also a skill, as it includes carving. My personal opinion on the behavior, doesnt change the fact it's a skill. No need for me to beat a dead horse, I'll let everyone else continue to hash this out.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am by no means the most experienced rider in the world (1000miles on my MSX) but I have spent my miles carving all over the road for the most part. The one thing that I have done in the past 2 months or so has been turning using heel-toe. When turning, push the heel corresponding to the direction you want to turn into your footpad. At the same time, lift your opposite heel and push into the front of the footpad. There is more nuisance to it that I can't put into words, you'll just have to see for yourself. using this method you should be able to essentially, throw the wheel in whatever direction you want it to go. This allows for sharp  turns at high speeds. I like to practice dodging manhole covers and other road imperfections at the last second using this technique. It really makes you feel in control of your wheel.

• Like 2