Gasmantle

Changing riding style / carving.

14 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks for the offer Stephen but I'll give it a miss - if I decide to push the boat out and but a new high end wheel I'd probably look at one of the new models on the market. I'd like to see how these new suspension wheels perform once they've been around a few months.

Me too the v11 maybe ūüĎć

Just now, stephen said:

Me too the v11 maybe ūüĎć

I'd like to see what users say after they've ridden a few hundred miles but at the mo I prefer the styling of the S18.

39 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I'd like to see what users say after they've ridden a few hundred miles but at the mo I prefer the styling of the S18.

Just shows what different tastes people have i like the v11 and 1500wh battery as I like longer rides ,, can't wait for more reviews

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

First problem... It's Chooch bro! He's a damn great rider and just flows. If you ask him how he got so good, I'd imagine its from TONS of practice. We can all aspire to be so comfy, but I doubt theres a 'formula' to get there, its more of a personal journey of time, sweat, and conviction.

Choochs riding style have been an inspiration to me for its relaxedness. I'm far from a reference but can do that carve when in the mood.
To give echo to what Bruce Lee said about "be like water", this would be "be like a noodle". Good carving is IMO a bit like dancing, you have to feel it.

Edited by null

42 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

First problem... It's Chooch bro! He's a damn great rider and just flows. If you ask him how he got so good, I'd imagine its from TONS of practice. We can all aspire to be so comfy, but I doubt theres a 'formula' to get there, its more of a personal journey of time, sweat, and conviction.

Along with all of the other answers, carving can minimize wobble. Staying directly upright is akin to maintaining PERFECT balance on an imperfect surface. It is far easier to be a little one way or the other, or traveling between the two (l/r). Skateboards, motocross, skiing, lots of sports benefit from carving(of course they also utilize it for speed control). Roads are typically grooved. If I dont carve, my wheel likes to find a groove and it begins to tell ME what to do, rather than I tell it. Just like a car at heavily grooved intersections, if you dont turn across the grooves, it wanders within in one, or between grooves, taking over control.  It helps muscle tone and keeps you from getting complacent and stiff. It is fun. It feels awesome. It trains your muscles to recognize shifts in weight. it looks cool. It makes your tire not look like a sissy has been riding the thing(chicken strips). Carving on an EUC is a big part of it. Just ask a sport biker how much he enjoys leaning over and feeling the G's, defying gravity with inertia and sheer b**ls!

The mten is fun because its more like a toy. It kind of reminds me of a big kids 3-wheel. You know, those dinky pedal 3 wheels plastic cars we had as kids. But NOW they scream down mountains in suped up models. I like my mten because it just a tool of fun. That and its effortless to meander with someone walking. I approach the mten MUCH differently than my 'real' wheel.  Having a big wheel AND an mten is akin to having a daily driver and a go-cart. I let virgins try my mten and its nothing to toss in the car... My 18L not so much. Even tho I use it as a toy, the mten is more capable than you suspect. I enjoy mine and don't even leave the damn yard. Yes, youll look like a dork. or worse: @Marty Backe

Your continued use of the word Toy in the same sentence as Mten3 is annoying me to no end

;)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Your continued use of the word Toy in the same sentence as Mten3 is annoying me to no end

;)

haha, my bad. Does it make you feel any better that I also look upon my supermoto and my paramotor as a toy?

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The mten is fun because its more like a toy. It kind of reminds me of a big kids 3-wheel. You know, those dinky pedal 3 wheels plastic cars we had as kids. But NOW they scream down mountains in suped up models. I like my mten because it just a tool of fun. That and its effortless to meander with someone walking. I approach the mten MUCH differently than my 'real' wheel.  Having a big wheel AND an mten is akin to having a daily driver and a go-cart. I let virgins try my mten and its nothing to toss in the car... My 18L not so much. Even tho I use it as a toy, the mten is more capable than you suspect. I enjoy mine and don't even leave the damn yard. Yes, youll look like a dork. or worse: @Marty Backe

I totally get that man, as I said it takes all sorts and I have seen endless comments on here from many different riders who LOVE the Mten. I totally hear you about you liking it because it's a toy (ssssh don't tell Marty I used that word) but from my point of view its simply because it looks like a toy (damn did it again) not from any kind of fun element that means it IS a toy (ooops couldn't help it).

What I mean is, to me, my msx IS a toy...it's exactly the same to me as your paramotor/supermoto - it's simply a plaything for leisure use which gives me nothing but fun. Due to that, I'm not convinced the Mten would give me any more fun than the msx, so that's just one argument for the Mten that I would have to strike off the list as a reason for buying one.

For sure, they are extremely capable given the size, and ultimately I am super glad that we have all these wheel choices :)

Posted (edited)

I think it looks funny (mten) and when i ride it, it makes me laugh. I made a vid and put it to clown music with the mten. My buddy said it was the best one yet, funny as hell. It makes me feel goofy and that in itself, strikes a different type of fun. OMFG, watching a fat guy on an mten with a HUGE sub sandwich would be one of the greatest things ever.  I find its size, also makes virgins feel less intimidated, tho its still dangerous(great analogy on that one!).  At almost 1/4th the cost of my 18L, i couldnt resist. But of course, MY brand of fun includes stupidity and random crap too. If I were a little more brittle and a little less like a kid, I could see how the mten niche' wouldnt be so alluring(at least for my current uses). My mten is a different fun than the 18L by far. If i could have only one, I do think the 18L covers MORE areas of my brand of fun(like hi speed carving). The mten covers that 'dont give a s**t' range of fun. I bet it would be a great event to toss an mten out near a drunken campfire of older men, with camera at the ready! I get it tho, we all have different brands of fun, and its a great thing. Just like the different riding styles. Whatever floats your boat. Having these euc's for enjoyment and not entirely needed for travel, its just hard for me to NOT see them as fun toys that I adore.  Ironic, going mten slow is so damn boring(to me)...and THATS what provokes the random stupidity that is so much fun. Being able to roll at BELOW walking speed, effortlessly along with the wifey on foot, isnt too shabby(of course that too, provokes frequent 360's and random bs). My mten has little mileage but looks to have been in combat. In contrast, my 18L has 265miles and looks nearly new.

*sorry about the derail...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

21 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I bet it would be a great event to toss an mten out near a drunken campfire of older men, 

…..and that....in a nutshell.....is where I think the Mten would excel.  :thumbup: A 'jump on and have a go' wheel for a load of middle-aged inebriated divs who haven't grown up :D

3 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I can accept fun or perhaps because it looks cool but not the rest.

Cool. No one is forcing anyone to carve.

I'm guessing I must have perfect balance because my wheel goes quite happily in a straight line.

I'll give you that. I can ride in a laser-straight line as well if I choose to.

I'm fairly sure going in a straight line would also be a more efficient use of the battery and therefore give you better range.

Absolutely 100%.

I believe carving also requires constant small changes in speed and that won't be very efficient

Absolutely 100%. I'm not looking for efficiency though. Every single ride for me is about fun. I'm not interested in maximising range over fun.

I just think there's a bit of a safety issue with people wiggling about all over the road - we're one of the slowest vehicles on the road and other vehicles will want to overtake so, if we're veering from side to side cause we think it looks cool, we're just pissing off other road users.

Granted, as riders (many of us who are riding illegally) we have a great responsibility to not piss people off. So I make sure than whenever I carve, it is safe to do so. I rarely do it on roads, but if I do it's usually quiet, narrow side streets where a car would generally be unable to pass anyway. And in any event I would be likely doing the legal speed limit so it's not like I am holding anyone up. If it's a faster/wider road I am constantly checking behind me (I can look either side without issue/wobbling) and I also have a wrist mirror if at higher speeds to reduce further the time I spend looking round. Aside from cars, I also take on board who's about and what they might think of me but theres a limit as to how far I will pander to their thoughts. As you suggest, I am sure that there will be people out there who will view carving, under any circumstances, as dangerous and 'out of control', and reckless but the same people would probably find a way to moan about anything. So stuff 'em. In any event, much carving is done off the road, and of course nowhere in the immediate vicinity of people.

We also don't have inbuilt mirrors so vehicles can creep up on us fairly quick without us knowing.

Not inbuilt, but we do have them. How often a rider chooses to use them is of course their prerogative ;)

I'm not saying that carving is bad, I'm not, I'm just saying it's not an advanced technique that all riders should be aspiring to. The problem is that many inspirational riders on youtube tend to carve because it looks cool on video (and perhaps goes with the accompanying music) and that gives us lesser riders the impression that this is how experts should ride. 

I'm not saying that carving is bad, I'm not, I'm just saying it's not an advanced technique that all riders should be aspiring to.

Well I wouldn't say that riders should 'aspire' to it either. Many folk are plenty happy enough being carried in a straight line. I wouldn't agree with carving not being an advanced technique though. It absolutely is, otherwise it wouldn't take a lot of time to learn properly.

The problem is that many inspirational riders on youtube tend to carve because it looks cool on video (and perhaps goes with the accompanying music) and that gives us lesser riders the impression that this is how experts should ride. 

If people are taking carving as 'how experts should ride' then they are making an incorrect assumption and theres not much I can do about that. Without a doubt though, being able to carve IS as skill that IMO makes for a better, safer rider whether you then choose to continue carving into the future or not. The ability to carve well by default means you have more control of your wheel. I could think of numerous occasion where the ability to change direction quickly and without thinking about it with short notice is beneficial.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The mten is fun because its more like a toy. It kind of reminds me of a big kids 3-wheel. You know, those dinky pedal 3 wheels plastic cars we had as kids.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

;)

My Mten3 is a beast (2018 mod) compared to it’s toy sister Luffy.  :)

39985450624_14d5970fed_b.jpg

49812563278_14c38e17f0_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1

17 hours ago, Planemo said:

Also, I cant help feeling that I would look like the aforementioned dork as a middle aged man on what appears to most people as a childs toy with a tiny wheel.

Eh, we do all sorts of things in the name of fun...it's just better when you get enough experience to look good doing it.

(It also helps to wear a tie....)

Posted (edited)

Okay, so my girlfriend just described her boyfriend (me) as a "dork" to one of her friends over the phone, :shock2:
without any knowledge of this forum...talk about irony...

Well, I plan on living up to that now.... :efef77eaf5:

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
Removed localized abbriviation so post translates to other languages.

Oh there will always be people that think euc's are for dorks, whether you are riding a Monster or an Mten or anything inbetween. I was one of them. In fact I still probably am. Its dorkish. There I said it. But at 47 y/o I dont care much :)

17 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Oh there will always be people that think euc's are for dorks, whether you are riding a Monster or an Mten or anything inbetween. I was one of them. In fact I still probably am. Its dorkish. There I said it. But at 47 y/o I dont care much :)

Yeah if there's one thing I've learned in my 43 years, it's that anything can be cool if you pretend hard enough.  If hipsters with handlebar mustaches and Hello Kitty watches can be cool, so can a dude decked out in badass riding gear blowing past bicyclists in silly spandex.  :-D

On 4/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Gasmantle said:

Any other riders tried to alter their riding style after having ridden an EUC for a while?

I see this as a bit of a separate question to what the discussion has actually been about. But yes, there are techniques that we might catch from other riders later on and try to learn them, such as the offset foot positioning has been for me. But a bit like @mike_bike_kite, I don’t see (even Chooch’s) carving as a skill in itself, but more as... how should I say this... a secondary phenomena that may or may not hint to the rider being an experienced or a skilled one. Like sometimes a person’s posture may look beautiful as if  they’d be a yoga master, whether they do yoga or not.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Gasmantle said:

I tend to ride in a straight up stance with my knees only very slightly bent, I can ride confidently and can carve but I want to learn to ride in a more aggressive 'sporty' style.

We learn what we do. Chooch for example, he is a fearless beast when it comes to making high speed off-road paths kneel in front of you. Because that’s what he’s been doing for years already. Wanna ride like Chooch? Start by heading off-road with a fast wheel and start pushing your comfort levels way up.

I could well be missing something crucial about the intent, but mimicking how one of the most skilled and experienced riders in the world moves on flat pavement when he’s putting up a show for YouTube, to me sounds a bit backwards.

23 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yep, this for me too. It feels like you are actually riding when you carve/put effort into it rather than simply being carried.

Yep, me again. I know I shouldnt be thinking about what others are thinking at my age, but I do feel like a right plum simply standimg there with a rod up my back.

I don‚Äôt know if I‚Äôm taking the word ‚Äúfeel‚ÄĚ too literally, but I see a difference in doing something because you feel like a statue or¬†because you think that others see you as one.

I constantly make unnecessary movements while riding. I hop a bit even for the tiniest of obstacles, and I go around little twigs like they were alligators trying to eat me. 99% of the time there‚Äôs no one to see me, but doing all that makes me feel more engaged in the riding situation. I didn‚Äôt even realize this until watching others during a few¬†group rides. Most of them stand straight, some even with their hands in their pockets, while I probably¬†look like I‚Äôm having trouble with the numerous ‚Äúobstacles‚ÄĚ, shadows etc.

I sure hope no one wants to learn my moves though... ;)

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I didn’t even realize this until watching others during a few group rides. Most of them stand straight, some even with their hands in their pockets

This could be a big point. From the outset of my euc journey, the main guy I have hooked up with is incredibly loose, like Tishawn. My buddy carves like crazy, at high speeds, and is totally confident sitting down at 35mph+. So I guess that naturally I have tended to levitate to his skillset, which to me is not about any particular single skill he has, but more about the overall control he has of his wheel. To me, I would like to be able to ride like him not because he can carve, or sit down, or negotiate obstacles the way he can, but because he has such an overall authority over his wheel that it makes him able to deal with just about anything that comes his way. Its the same as any other discipline - the more you learn about your particular tool, the better you become at mastering it. I dont get why people seem to have a problem with this when it comes to eucs compared to say a musical instrument for example.

It would bore me to tears riding with people who have their hands in their pockets, straightlining everywhere, bolt upright at 15mph. I am quite happy to accept that many do, and thats cool, but its not for me. I can totally accept how others ride, but it seems some cant get a grip on how I and others like me ride.

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

not because he can carve, or sit down, or negotiate obstacles the way he can, but because he has such an overall authority over his wheel

I think that is a natural and even a crucial step in order to progress after a certain point. To admire someone’s skill and wanting to become better oneself as well.

I dont get why people seem to have a problem with this when it comes to eucs compared to say a musical instrument for example.

Disclaimering again, I could read the OP‚Äôs intent all wrong, language barriers, between the lines, cultural stuff ‚Äėn all that. But there is a big difference in¬†buying a hat like the one Slash uses, and¬†actually hoping to learn¬†to play better.

I actually met a guy like that a long time ago. He didn’t rehearse playing that much, but he often stood in front of the mirror and rehearsed the Slash’s signature move of lifting up the guitar neck for the highest note in a solo.

It’s all cool if that’s what someone wants, but I think it’s really good to understand the difference.

It would bore me to tears riding with people who have their hands in their pockets, straightlining everywhere, bolt upright at 15mph.

We often had a 35-40km/h KS limit. But yeah, I get you. They all liked the tours though, so it’s just how some people ride.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, Gasmantle said:

Any other riders tried to alter their riding style after having ridden an EUC for a while?

No matter what I do I can't seem to carve like this guy - at 3.00 to 3.15 he is able to carve the way I want to do it but I can't seem to get the hang of it.

I don't worry about it.

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I met a guy that didn’t rehearse playing much, but he often stood in front of the mirror and rehearsed Slash’s signature move of lifting up the guitar neck for the highest note in a solo..

And that is why.

I'm working with @MRN76 on making the miniPRO fast, which now allows carving again. It's not about "fast," it's about "fun."

It's also about setup. Being "one with the wheel" (or board, in this case) is not about doing something like someone else, it's about setting up the machine to do what you want. Many of the greatest, most renound guitar riffs come not from imitating someone else, but by having an idea of what you want to do, something that is all you, and accomplishing it, perfecting it, sharing it. To do this you have to get a wheel that fits your style, then tune it to perfection.

Raising a guitar up like Slash is simply working hard to imitate someone else. Riding like Chooch is just that; maybe someone (not you) will dress like him someday. They will not be Chooch, they will be a not-ChoochTech copy.

-----
The humble thought I have is to find a wheel that fits excellent with who you are, and tune it to respond to you perfectly, so you have a thought and then you are doing it without thinking of how. 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, winterwheel said:

I bought an MTen3 and Mrs. Winterwheel won't let me ride it -- because it is her wheel now. She absolutely loves that thing. I meant to post this advice earlier, but anyone having trouble getting their significant other to ride should give them a cute little white wheel that is ultra-maneuverable and doesn't demand to be ridden at high speeds.

Total derail but thats how i roll...  I can agree to this one now, big time! My wife SWORE she'd never hop on one of these when I got my ks18L. Ffw 3 months and numerous "walks" where I ride the mten and just last week she  admitted that she would maybe try to learn to ride and that NO she's now not interested in paramotoring. (in wife speak, maybe means you were right but im not ready to admit it) I have my doubts shell learn, but i bet shell eventually try it until she gets hurt. My buddy never seeing an euc.... stands on the mten in flip flops and shorts while holding my shoulder, then offers to buy it from me.

Just to stay on topic.. The more I ride, the more I carve. I think the confusion about it, comes from people assuming that a 'carver' is going to do it while cars and people are present. I also agree that carving around traffic and making already nervous drivers even more unsure of your intent, is selfish. There must be something magical about carving, as I recall being a VERY young preteen and already doing something similar on my bicycles. Back then, we didnt give a rats ass about efficient, we were out having fun. I must be in the minority, as I ride for pure enjoyment and I constantly choose to put MYSELF in danger. I am NOT a fan of watching people disobey traffic law in cities and run red lights. People like to pass cars on eucs instead of respecting THEIR lane, people buzz thru crosswalks, they carve wildly as they near cars and people. They go the wrong way on one way streets, the list goes on and on. There is a LOT of piss poor riding going on, and it bothers me when I'm lumped into that same group. Hoodlum behavior is what I see when I watch the bigger euc groups go on rides. It makes me think that they are intimidating the public and have this feeling of 'fuck the public I'm part of a gang now". Bikers do this same shit, and now we see it happening with the euc crowds. Luckily, I live with plenty of room for a person to breathe, and traffic jams are 3 pickups and a loose cow. When I DO travel the city, I make DAMN sure that I am acting in a way that isnt being a traffic hazard. Its all about time and place.