Changing riding style / carving.

Hi all,

Any other riders tried to alter their riding style after having ridden an EUC for a while?

I currently have a KS16s and have ridden about 2000miles over about 12mths so I'm reasonably experienced but not an expert. At the moment I tend to ride in a straight up stance with my knees only very slightly bent, I can ride confidently and can carve but I want to learn to ride in a more aggressive 'sporty' style.

It seems to me in order to carve fast and at a tight radius I need a more crouched stance (at the mo my carving is more longer sweeping curves) but I really struggle with it.

No matter what I do I can't seem to carve like this guy - at 3.00 to 3.15 he is able to carve the way I want to do it but I can't seem to get the hang of it.

5 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi all,

It depends on many factors: Tire pressure , tire shape,tire type , EUC, Surface you ride. Weight of rider.

@Gasmantle I would just study the video and watch his body positioning during the carve. Obviously, it's impossible to see the subtle changes that he's making but I think if you practice you will find what works for you. I'm in the process of teaching my wife to ride and I'm finding what works for me might not apply to her perceptions and sensations while riding. For example, she will be working on tighter turns on the 18xl. I have this little "trigger"where I roll my inside ankle ever so slightly into the turn when I want to turn tight. She didn't feel the love for that so much. You could take to riders and they're doing the exact same move and I would bet they would be processing it in a totally different way. Good Luck :)

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, Gasmantle said:

No matter what I do I can't seem to carve like this guy - at 3.00 to 3.15 he is able to carve the way I want to do it but I can't seem to get the hang of it.

Are you wearing a tie? Like a kangaroo tail, a tie helps you balance.

(and if you want to go faster, button your jacket)

b640824eadb637beed0a538d533a7548.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys :)

I think @bigwavehas hit the nail on the head by saying I should study the video a bit more closely. Having looked again at Chooch (from 3.00 to 3.15 in the video) he seems to pass the wheel from side to side without leaning it much. Somehow he bends his knees while the wheel is at the side but straightens his knees while the wheel is directly under him.

I need to have another go at this tomorrow :lol:

• Like 1

It's somewhat like skiing. Slide the wheel to one side, sink into the lean, then use the wheel to push yourself upright. (You have to have confidence/faith the wheel will hold and push you back up.)

• Like 3

It's somewhat like skiing. Slide the wheel to one side, sink into the lean, then use the wheel to push yourself upright. (You have to have confidence/faith the wheel will hold and push you back up.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Yea, I think with a bit of practice I ought to be able to do something similar but probably not quite as well .

I real like Chooch's riding style, he seems to have incredible control yet makes it look effortless. In the video with his suit and tie on he reminds me of a Clark Kent 'Superman' kinda guy.

Edited by Gasmantle

1 minute ago, mike_bike_kite said:

But what's the advantage of carving? is it just style? is it to stop the wheel from wobbling? is it to wear the tyre out quicker? is it to annoy drivers behind? or is it to scythe down as many pedestrians as possible? ;)

Just for fun I guess, that's all I want it for. :)

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

But what's the advantage of carving? is it just style? is it to stop the wheel from wobbling? is it to wear the tyre out quicker? is it to annoy drivers behind? or is it to scythe down as many pedestrians as possible? ;)

I assume it's to keep your legs and feet moving so you don't get sore from standing in one position for minutes/hours at a time?

• Like 2

Many thanks to all those who offered advice :)

I've been practising lately with a more loose, bent, crouching position and find that has greatly helped. I feel like I have far more control and I also seem to be riding a lot faster without really trying.

I suppose what you want from your wheel largely dictates how you ride, for the last year I've been content to ride just as a means of getting from A to B to a fairly straight up stance was ideal as I wasn't bothered about carving etc. I now want to be able to ride in a more aggressive style sometimes so learning a different technique is useful

@WI_Hedgehogthat guy riding backwards on one leg through the cones sure has some incredible control 

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 1

Yep just force yourself to stay really loose. I have totally changed my riding style in the last 6 months, although I think you can only really do it once you are confident riding in general which by now I am sure you are. I can't ride anywhere in a straight line now without getting bored after 5 minutes and love being able to dive around exactly where I want do. I tend to go low and deep in fast carving. I'm still nowhere near Chooch (Jedi) level but it's just time and miles. Stephen's got a very good flow too so when you hook up with him I am sure he will help you out with some tips :)

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

On 4/21/2020 at 4:04 PM, Stillhart said:

I assume it's to keep your legs and feet moving so you don't get sore from standing in one position for minutes/hours at a time?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

@Planemoyea I think having more than one riding style is an asset, for a quick ride to the shops carrying a rucksack then a fairly upright style feels the most comfortable to me and is my default setting. A more aggressive crouched style is fun for when the situation allows it.

I have you to blame for all this - you were the guy who talked me into buying my first wheel (V5F) a year ago when I first joined this forum. :lol:

Edited by Gasmantle

45 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I have you to blame for all this - you were the guy who talked me into buying my first wheel (V5F) a year ago when I first joined this forum. :lol:

Haha was I?! I remember talking to you about a V5, I think I had mine at the time. They are a good wheel to be fair! don't worry bud, I am sure that someone else on the forum got me hooked too, I think it might have been meep. A costly addiction for sure.... £350 for V5...£1250 for Z10...£1500 for MSX...so about the same as a good small secondhand car :o

• Like 1

The trouble is once you get more adventurous in riding style an upgrade of wheel starts to plant its seed.

I had my mind on treating myself to a Mten3 as a fun wheel this summer but now I'm starting to think it may be better to save a bit more and buy a more powerful wheel. :clap3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stillhart said:

First, physically if feels like a combination of parallel skiing and dragging knee on a motorcycle.

Yep, this for me too. It feels like you are actually riding when you carve/put effort into it rather than simply being carried.

1 hour ago, Stillhart said:

Third, I feel like less of a dork when I'm carving...

Yep, me again. I know I shouldnt be thinking about what others are thinking at my age, but I do feel like a right plum simply standimg there with a rod up my back. 

43 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I had my mind on treating myself to a Mten3 as a fun wheel this summer but now I'm starting to think it may be better to save a bit more and buy a more powerful wheel. :clap3:

I know this will sound confrontational, and I can see where an Mten3 would maybe be a laugh, but I have less than zero interest in them personally. For one, I cant see where I would ever use it. I dont do local shopping runs on my wheel, nor use it for commuting via public transport, and all my riding is for leisure only at fairly high speed on all sorts of crappy english terrain. Also, I cant help feeling that I would look like the aforementioned dork as a middle aged man on what appears to most people as a childs toy with a tiny wheel. I just dont get them, nor could I ever see an instance where I would ever choose it over the MSX. I could see them being awesome for say tricks in a parking lot or public displays of EUCs, but for me, its a no go. It takes all sorts though :)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I know this will sound confrontational, and I can see where an Mten3 would maybe be a laugh, but I have less than zero interest in them personally. For one, I cant see where I would ever use it. I dont do local shopping runs on my wheel, nor use it for commuting via public transport, and all my riding is for leisure only at fairly high speed on all sorts of crappy english terrain. Also, I cant help feeling that I would look like the aforementioned dork as a middle aged man on what appears to most people as a childs toy with a tiny wheel. I just dont get them, nor could I ever see an instance where I would ever choose it over the MSX. I could see them being awesome for say tricks in a parking lot or public displays of EUCs, but for me, its a no go. It takes all sorts though :)

I guess people ride for a variety of reasons and we all have different requirements.

In my case I quite often take a train ride into the city centre and that leaves me with a mile or 2 to get to where I want to be, so the idea of a very small wheel that will fit in a small rucksack has its appeal. I certainly wouldn't want one as my only wheel but I could see me using one for short trips on even ground. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

The trouble is once you get more adventurous in riding style an upgrade of wheel starts to plant its seed.

You wanna buy my msx nearly same price as the mten3👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stephen said:

You wanna buy my msx nearly same price as the mten3👍

Thanks for the offer Stephen but I'll give it a miss - if I decide to push the boat out and but a new high end wheel I'd probably look at one of the new models on the market. I'd like to see how these new suspension wheels perform once they've been around a few months.

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 1