What do you think about the 100.8V 5A-7A-9A current adjustable charger for gotway?

The GX-16 charge ports have 5A listed as official maximum current. Not sure how much current they can deal with. But 7A and 9A is a lot!

You really should get into contact with Gotway if you want to make a charger that works with their wheels. You can ask them the technical questions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Betty Deng said:

1584236102978_0.jpg

charger with digital display + currrent adjustable + partial charge function

100.8V 5A-7A-9A Current adjustable

where can we buy this? thanks

9 hours ago, Betty Deng said:

1584236102978_0.jpg

How do we know if the KS wheels and Gotway wheels are safe to cahrge at such high amperage espicially at 100v. 

IF YOU OWN A STORE, DO NOT BUY YET UNTIL PROPER TESTING OR MANUFACTURERS CAN CONFIRM THIS IS SAFE. YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR CUSTOMERS AT RISK. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Hillary said:

I'd consider it once I get a Nikola Plus 100V. Is it made by Gotway? 

No, this is our customized model for gotway, that's the model customsized by one of customers. We also have the 300W/450W models:

1. Current adjustable function

2. Digital dispay on voltage and cureent

3. Partial charge: 80% 90% 100%

You can choose anyone function of them

Intelligent_electric_scooter_mobility_ba

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

How do we know if the KS wheels and Gotway wheels are safe to cahrge at such high amperage espicially at 100v. 

IF YOU OWN A STORE, DO NOT BUY YET UNTIL PROPER TESTING OR MANUFACTURERS CAN CONFIRM THIS IS SAFE. YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR BUSINESS AND YOUR CUSTOMERS AT RISK. 

yes, you're right, thank you. this charger is customized by one of customers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Hillary said:

I'd consider it once I get a Nikola Plus 100V. Is it made by Gotway? 

There is no such thing as a 100V charger "made by Gotway" AFAICS.

The "stock" Gotway 100V chargers are just outsourced YZPower 24S chargers fitted with the Gotway GX16-5 plug spec: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951958057.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.693f1238fucTDj

• Like 2

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

There is no such thing as a 100V charger "made by Gotway" AFAICS.

The "stock" Gotway 100V chargers are just outsourced YZPower 24S chargers fitted with the Gotway GX16-5 plug spec: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951958057.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.2.693f1238fucTDj

Ah interesting, I only own a 67V Gotway wheel. Assuming it's safe a fast charger would sure be handy once I do get a 100V.

6 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Many people, including myself, are charging without issue at 6A/100v. I can't quote for 9A but even charging at the max 1C, that's 12A on a 4P wheel so still under what the batteries can take.

Gotway use 20g silicone wire for the charging circuit, which is also good for 12A. The charge circuit connectors are XT30 which are, of course, rated to 30A.

The only weak link is the GX16 connector. But if you link the pins on both the charger and the wheel (as I have done) then I am confident it is happy to 10A.

Up to you though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

Ah interesting, I only own a 67V Gotway wheel. Assuming it's safe a fast charger would sure be handy once I do get a 100V.

You are only as good as your weakest link. Like everyone has said before, the charge port would be the weakest link, GX16 being typically rated 5A max. You could custom double up the wiring on both GX16-5 ends that aren't the 1- 5+ pins, to get a potential 10A charge.

.... but quite honestly, I don't find a lack of charging speed once you get into the 5-6A range, as I do with my Cycle Satiator or 2 "stock" Gotway 100V chargers coming off a modded Charge Doctor.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Betty Deng said:

1584236102978_0.jpg

i think it is great since i came up with it betty😁🤣😁.

i think it is good. gx16-5 plug is rated for 5amp per pair of pins. gw is using double wires on charge port now so you can charge at higher amps.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ray rokni said:

i think it is good. gx16-5 plug is rated for 5amp per pair of pins. gw is using double wires on charge port now so you can charge at higher amps.

I think it's still wise to check that they have been linked on the male charger plug also. My 6A one wasn't.

And theres no concrete data as to when Gotway started linking the charge port pins either. So again, always worth checking.

8 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

read my post. reply to plenmo. thx

22 minutes ago, ray rokni said:

the new 100v coming out of gw have double wires now to pins 1&2 positive and 4&5 negative. then they join again after the charge plug.

I do get that. My own wheel (an 84v delivered early Dec 2019 so prob built around Oct 2019) had linked pins on arrival as per your pics. I was just warning people that we don't know when GW started doing it. So I was simply advising everyone to check, if charging over 5A.

10 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In another topic afair i read that GW does not use double wires at the charge port - that's from "mods" sold over other "channels".

I have been told this too, but I am still not convinced. It seems very odd that a Chinese 'modder' would go to such lengths. It's not even just linking the pins, it's adding extra wires and then taking them up to the XT30 connector too, so further soldering there as well. And then coat everything (including things they haven't modified at all) with a liberal dose of hot glue. All this for something that isn't even necessary if using the stock charger. I just can't see the modders going out of their way to do this. I stand to be corrected though.

I do note your concerns with the BMS inputs and as always, listen to your knowledge and advice. But it appears that according to the poster above (ray rokni), Gotway themselves have stated even 10A is OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ray rokni said:

the pictures i provided are from gotway oem not third party.  these lithium batteries can easily do 1/2 C. so on 1800 wh pack 9 amps would fall within range. without fear of overheating etc.

Yes of course.

Just packs with bad cells get constantly boiled by charging. Boiling them with 9 amps instead of 2 amps can make the difference between a fire and just nothing...

That's not directly the fault of a faster charger but the "too simple BMS" showing one not that cells are dead and the pack has to be refurbished/replaced.

mosfets can handle 9amps.

Most presumably they are borderline burdened. At pictures of older BMS versions they changed between one Mosfet or two in parallel.

But still they are plastic wrapped - perfectly thermally insulated. So a perfect design for desaster...

... but somehow they seem to survive (mostly) - can't really remember of reports of burned mosfets on BMS. But faster chargers are not too common, too...

i dont see any reason for being drastically fearful.

That's not a question of fear but of responsability for all the riders living in an apartment building...

But again it's not the "main fault" of a faster charger - it increases just the risk of the "simple" designed BMS used in the wheels. A faster charger just increases the risk.

Which again seems not to high but existing following the reports here. For gods sake the Li Ion cells seem to take quite some mistreatment.

realistically only time i would need a fast charge is if i am on a ride that is longer than the range of the wheel. rest of the time i charge with oem 3A.

That's maybe the best advantage of fast chargers - it makes it viable to only do attented charging!

Or one follows kuji's practice to charge the wheels in a (?fireproof?) safe:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ray rokni said:

realistically only time i would need a fast charge is if i am on a ride that is longer than the range of the wheel. rest of the time i charge with oem 3A.

Fully agree. 

I also use 8-9A on my 16X if I'm on a ride and take a break to add some juice. I would never charge to 100% with a fast charger (more then 5A), just until the charge current drops. So the Mosfets should have no problem with that. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I would never charge to 100% with a fast charger (more then 5A), just until the charge current drops.

The current is theoretically 0mA as 100% is reached ... by definition, if there's 5A current, you can't be 100% charged ... ie, all chargers behave the same as the battery reaches 100%!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xorbe said:

The current is theoretically 0mA as 100% is reached ... by definition, if there's 5A current, you can't be 100% charged ... ie, all chargers behave the same as the battery reaches 100%!

I know, but that was in reference to that statement:

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

So there are Mosfets that have to take the charging current. They are to cut off charging once one cell hits the overvoltage threshold.

They are without any heatsink in the plastic wrap... 9A with 10mOhm are 0,81W. That's quite a hefty value for power dissipation not only without any cooling aid but also hindering any kind of air convection ... And no one knows if they Mosfets are "the good ones" with only 10mOhm...

Right, but once the charge current drops, it's already done the heavy lifting ... it's easier from there to 100% ... at the point you hit 100%, everything is much cooler already as very little power is transferred that last 15-20 minutes in reality ... so the cutoff circuitry would be cool as 4.2 is reached.  ie, just as the charger current starts dropping, it just went through the most stressful part of the charge process.  If it didn't explode there, it'll be fine to 100%.

Edited by xorbe