What do you think about the 100.8V 5A-7A-9A current adjustable charger for gotway?

sure, anything can happen at any time. your charged wheel to %80 using oem 3amp charger can suddenly catch on fire for whatever reason. basically i’m saying, if you look for the negative you will always find it. as long as certain important criteria for charging at higher amps are met, then i’m ok with fast charging when and if  i need to.

best is to do ones own real research and decide. not through here say and specially not fear mongers. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Planemo said:

Many people, including myself, are charging without issue at 6A/100v. I can't quote for 9A but even charging at the max 1C, that's 12A on a 4P wheel so still under what the batteries can take.

Gotway use 20g silicone wire for the charging circuit, which is also good for 12A. The charge circuit connectors are XT30 which are, of course, rated to 30A.

The only weak link is the GX16 connector. But if you link the pins on both the charger and the wheel (as I have done) then I am confident it is happy to 10A.

Up to you though.

@ray rokni my point being:

1. unless many people have used these chargers, I'm not about to be the first and risk being hurt.

2.If Point 1 isnt satified and none of the Gotway reps hasn't told us it's safe to do so why take the risk

13 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

@ray rokni my point being:

1. unless many people have used these chargers, I'm not about to be the first and risk being hurt.

2.If Point 1 isnt satified and none of the Gotway reps hasn't told us it's safe to do so why take the risk

read my post a few posts back. the pictures are from gotway. direct question to GW regarding charging at higher amps and direct answer was for new GW wheels with double wires at the port and charger with pins 1&2+ and 4&5 - is safe

as i said i have no problem charging with this charger at higher amps and record internal temps and report back

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Not sure why you quoted my post but then addressed your reply to Ray.

In any event, in answer to your point above seeing as you quoted me:

1. You're not about to be the first to use these chargers.
2. I did say previously 'its up to you'.
3. I explained that the wiring, GX16 plug (if linked), XT30 charge plug and batteries are all capable of taking more than 10A. That's fact, not guesswork.
4. As Chriull quite rightly pointed out, the only real unknown is the capability of the BMS charge input components. In my opinion, it's safe on the MSX, given I have used 6A chargers many times.

No one is telling you to use XY or Z charger. I am only stating my findings. Personally I don't give a monkeys if you do or don't use a higher amp charger.

Why take the risk? Because I really want to ride with the limited time I get, not sit around for hours waiting to charge when trying to get a 70 mile ride in. I took that risk based on everything I could confirm about the charging system, the only unknown being the BMS as stated above. Having monitored my wheel throughout several full charges whilst probing everything I could with an IR gun, I was ultimately satisfied that if it was going to go pop it likely would have done by now. And the MSX isn't the only wheel I have charged at 6A either.

If you really are interested in the subject, and you really do want to charge at 6A+, why not ask Gotway yourself as you are so concerned? If not, just stick with your 2~3A charger and let others do their own research and make their own decisions rather than repeatedly trying to shoot the idea down.

not sure what went up ur ass or youre just extremely passionate about chargers. im also just sharing my opinion. It's just a precautionary warning, i'm not sure my one post counts as "repeatedly". If you aren't sure why are quoted you why are you responding?

1. Yeh and I'm not trying to be the first dozen to try. 

2. I know its up to me, i'm sharing my opinion on why distributors and some users may not want to use a charger that hasnt be fully tested in the market.

3. With all due respect, I dont know who you are. Though I understand 18650 can take those higher amperages i'm not sure the batteries can, but who's to trust what you say in the other aspects? Again we're all just sharing opinions, you share yours, I share mine. Don't be an asshole. 
4. COOL 

One more thing to consider is the quality of the charger aswell.  Good luck with your testing and hopefully everything is just as you've calculated. @ray rokni It's definietly best to do your own research and come up with your own conclusion, and I've decided and shared mine. 

Edited by Jack Frost

3 hours ago, ray rokni said:

well said planemo! everyone is or should be intelligent enough to do their own due diligence. i did by many hours of research and contacting gotway directly and finally talking with betty and coming up with the very customized charger that you see posted here. price is absolutely reasonable and risk is, imo, minimal. with a little research, logic, knowledge of lithium batteries and trusting tge word of the wheel maufacturer one can make up one’s own mind up. being negative and scared is nit the way for progress!😁

I appreciate your more polite response. 

To be fair, I want to charge faster too. I'm just not sure I want to be the person testing the qualities of these chargers, and sure i could message Gotway but I'm satisfied with charging at 3amps or 4amps right now. 

I know the batteries itself can handle it, however I'm not sure people with perhaps older models, or even ACM gotway batteries and have now upgraded to batteryless msx are able to handle those amps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Don't be an asshole. 

You talk about politeness then call me as asshole.

And then to try and rally support you thank Ray for his politeness despite the fact that he said my post to you was well said.

And you made two negative posts about the subject, not one, one of which went as far as saying 'do not buy'.

Good effort.

This will be my last post to you on the matter.

• Like 1

Max charge rate depends on the cell manuf ... 1800Wh product rating says nothing about the individual cells ...

If/when I get a Nikola/MSP, I'd like one of these fast chargers.

Edited by xorbe

Yes it all depends on the individual cell spec, total capacity means very little. How many you have in parrallel is also very relative.

The Sanyo GA commonly used in Gotways has a max charge rate of 1C, and given they are around 3500mah each, thats 3.5A for a single cell. Go 6P (as per MSX 84v) and you have 21A as your max. As we have already covered though, thats just the battery, not the capability of anything else in the chain.

So in reality, even a 10A charge isnt 'fast' per se relative to what the cells can take. It does make the supplied 2A charger look somewhat lame though :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Planemo said:

You talk about politeness then call me as asshole.

And then to try and rally support you thank Ray for his politeness despite the fact that he said my post to you was well said.

And you made two negative posts about the subject, not one, one of which went as far as saying 'do not buy'.

Good effort.

This will be my last post to you on the matter.

I replied to ray and you got ticked off that I even quoted you then you replied with aggressiveness. Dont try to hinder what you've done, take responsibility at the very least. 

Just because my opinion suggest individuals not to buy it doesn't make it negative. In fact it could be taken as a positive for the dangers this charger could bring. Depends on how you see it, clearly you only see it one way since you're so narrow minded. 

Not sure what's happened in your personal life that makes you take other poeples suggestion of not buying that charger makes you so upset, I hope you grow up to learn that people can disagree with you. People like you hide behind their computers and take it personal when one disagrees. 

Even the manufacturer agrees in her response. 

I'm reminded by you how negative this forum can be and why I paid no interest to it in the recent years. :roflmao:

Edited by Jack Frost

On 3/20/2020 at 5:27 AM, Jack Frost said:

Not sure what's happened in your personal life that makes you take other poeples suggestion of not buying that charger makes you so upset, I hope you grow up to learn that people can disagree with you. People like you hide behind their computers and take it personal when one disagrees. 

I'm reminded by you how negative this forum can be and why I paid no interest to it in the recent years. 

Listen Jack... You really need to chill out.

(And with a name like "jack frost" that really shouldn't be to hard) 😤😬😇

Edited by FrankFilmer
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:18 AM, buell47 said:

Okay, then I probably misunderstood Chriull's concern. :confused1:

Sorry for any confusions @buell47

I just tried to get the main points together again. Since imo the main culprit is the BMS shortcomings and not a fast(er) charger or the especially mentioned charger here i did this in a new topic:

• Like 2

What's the size of the charger? If it's a small size, I'm interested

I have only two variable resistance options 

toggle switch ,current is user-defined. for example 5/10A, 6/12A and size is 170*106*55

2019_12_31_17_11_IMG_3318.thumb.JPG.367c1b84c69154e529b62f0fd0af7b43.JPG

2019_12_31_17_38_IMG_3326.thumb.JPG.9c70386c1e89558c4e4b4d4153d7c1f0.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Note regarding heat: The highest stress point is the constant-current/constant-voltage crossover: Power = Current x Voltage

(before the crossover, current is at its maximum and voltage is rising)
(at the crossover, current and voltage are at their maximum values)
(after the crossover, voltage is at its maximum and current is falling)

@Betty Deng: Is there a way to make one charger to output different voltages (67V, 84V, 100V) so it works with multiple wheels? It would be nice to have 2A & 4A settings also for less risk of fire when a fast charge isn't important but 80% charge (instead of 100%) is.

2 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

https://www.pmbatterychargers.com/

(i don't own one, though i am interested in buying one)

These are just YZpower chargers from Aliexpress. It literally says right on the label

This is the official Aliexpress store, where you can likely get the best price (but not necessarily the best customer service) 

https://yzpower.fr.aliexpress.com/store/2217102?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.277e4e2aooYEPt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

These are just YZpower chargers from Aliexpress. It literally says right on the label

True, I don't think PMBattery make any secrecy about the fact they are YZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they are both affiliated in some way. In any event YZ are well known for chargers.

I've had 3 myself now, and 3 other guys I ride with have also purchased them. Zero problems :)

• Like 3