Light wheel for general duties

I'm looking to get a lightweight wheel that I can use to commute to work (about 1.5 miles) that can also be used for some light off-roading (grass and well made tracks will probably be the full extent).

Part of the reason for getting such a wheel is medical (I need to significantly reduce energy use, and that includes walking to work, walking the dog etc...)

I'm currently considering either a Gotway Mten3 or an Inmotion V5f.  I need a cutout switch as there are parts of my journey that require picking up the machine (partly the reason for the lower weight), and a decent trolley handle.

I'm about 75KG when geared up, and not particularly tall (ok, short!)

Slightly concerned about the Gotway's reliability, though that may be unfounded.  Also, not sure whether everyone stocks the latest version that has the cutout switch.

I used to own a Ninebot One C+, bought from Speedyfeet (whatever wheel I buy will need to come from them!) and was relatively good at basic riding.

I'm leaning toward the V5f, though could do with any advice that others have of either model.

The Mten3 is not the lightest of small wheels, and it's kind of bulky relative to a slim wheel like the V5f. Of course the V5f doesn't have a cutoff switch.

The Mten3 sure is a fun wheel to have though, and I think it's much easier to ride very slow (walking the dog) compared to the V5f.

If you look at failure stats as recently posted by @trya you'll see that the Mten3 is actually very reliable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course the V5f doesn't have a cutoff switch.

The Mten3 sure is a fun wheel to have though, and I think it's much easier to ride very slow (walking the dog) compared to the V5f.

If you look at failure stats as recently posted by @trya

Are you sure about the lack of cutoff switch? Looking at https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v5f/ seems to suggest it does, but might have been a recent introduction (so older stock may not have the cutoff switch?)

Thanks for the reliability bit - the wheel will be ridden all year in the UK.  The Mten3 does look better for much slower speeds and this would be ideal as often I will be with people who are walking.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ArthurMow said:

Are you sure about the lack of cutoff switch? Looking at https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v5f/ seems to suggest it does, but might have been a recent introduction (so older stock may not have the cutoff switch?)

Thanks for the reliability bit - the wheel will be ridden all year in the UK.  The Mten3 does look better for much slower speeds and this would be ideal as often I will be with people who are walking.  

I could be totally wrong about the V5f lacking the lift switch. Sorry about that.

Speedyfeet sells the Mten3. I'm sure Ian can tell you whether he carries the latest version.

Between those two, I vote for the V5F. A bigger tire just means more stability and comfort, especially on non-paved surfaces.

Maybe even a V8 (or dare I say V8F) would make sense for you for the same reason, if they're not too heavy. As a medical device, go for what is best for you.

• Like 3

Depending on how important trolley handle is to you/how much you have to trolley it, you might consider a V8/V8F or KS14D over a V5F. A little bit heavier, but their trolley handles make them far nicer/easier to trolley especially in conjunction with carrying other things.

Of course you're trading a little more weight for the better trolley handle, so if you have to carry it a lot then that might swing things back the other way. Just something to consider.

Edit: Jinx meep.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The 14D doesn't have a lift button or lift sensor, right?

Huh, so they didn't bring the lift sensor from the KS16S refresh to the KS14 series?

I always fall into the trap of thinking of the KS14 series as just a smaller KS16, I sometimes forget they're not quite the same/there are other little differences like that.

Edit: looks like it does/might?

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I forgot, if you want super light and supremely carryable over anything else, there's the IPS i5. But it's not the most stable ride because it's so thin.

I was always super intrigued by the IPS i5 due to its form factor but heard it had major problems (maybe electrical and/or waterproofing issues? I kinda forget now) that made it not safe and/or not reliable--certainly not for a daily commuter you need to rely on day in and day out in a range of weather conditions (versus as a toy you only use selectively it might be alright). Also they're pretty difficult to come by these days--didn't they stop making them/go out of business or something? (Again, faint memory of seeing something like this, don't really remember.)

Edited by AtlasP

11 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I was always super intrigued by the IPS i5 due to its form factor but heard it had major problems (maybe electrical and/or waterproofing issues? I kinda forget now) that made it not safe and/or not reliable--certainly not for a daily commuter you need to rely on day in and day out in a range of weather conditions (versus as a toy you only use selectively it might be alright). Also they're pretty difficult to come by these days--didn't they stop making them/go out of business or something? (Again, faint memory of seeing something like this, don't really remember.)

A lot of wheels were defective from the factory and IPS refused to warrant anything about it. That's why ewheels and Speedy Feet dropped the i5 (and didn't even try the S5) as far as I know. Same for some unlucky S5 buyers. Also the motor design (shell = motor cover) doesn't make it very waterproof.

You can still buy them on Ali (if you do, use some buyer protection where you can get your money back;)). Not sure if that's old stock or they are still produced. If you don't ride in rain, it's a fantastic wheel when you're not riding it and carrying it with you, and it rides well enough so it has some usefulness.

But I guess an i5 is no good recommendation for this topic. It has a very narrow (no pun intended) purpose, as opposed to something more general. And a little bigger battery can't hurt.

7 minutes ago, raidzero said:

The 14D does have a lift sensor. 

I may be losing my mind, but I'd swear that my 14S did not have a lift sensor. I've had too many wheels - it's all becoming a  blur :facepalm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I may be losing my mind, but I'd swear that my 14S did not have a lift sensor. I've had too many wheels - it's all becoming a  blur :facepalm:

My 14D, which is my first & only EUC, definitely has a lift sensor. It works very well, makes stairs a breeze - at least until I learn to actually ride down them! 

• Like 2

Since you come from a V5f, I think the V8f is likely to be best option on paper from what I can see. It is an increase in weight but not that much, you get better battery but still not a huge one, and a stronger motor which is never bad. 

I have not ridden the mten3 but it doesn't handle climbs that well due to lower shell cut and small wheel diameter. Looking at weight vs build vs power (read safety margin for balance) and a usable speed (not high speed) I do think the V8f is more or less spot on. 

Maybe a tesla could be an option too. I don't recall it's weight. As for KS14D I personally think it look to be limited in use and not really an upgrade to what you already have. 

The issue though is the V8f seems a bit stuck right now due to the virus in China. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think it came with batch upgrade recently. Since your are a few years old it didn't have it. So both you are right.... 

19 minutes ago, raidzero said:

The 14D does have a lift sensor. 

It depends what build batch it came from. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

So they did upgrade the 14D/S like the 16S? Cool!

I am unsure of the exact time but I recall it as last late summer time 2019. After KS16X release. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

Maybe you should sell everything that doesn't have a 3 inch thick tire, they were dead to you anyway! :roflmao:

Touche :D

• Like 3

On 2/14/2020 at 3:01 AM, Unventor said:

Since you come from a V5f, I think the V8f is likely to be best option on paper from what I can see. It is an increase in weight but not that much, you get better battery but still not a huge one, and a stronger motor which is never bad. 

I have looked at the V8f and it does look a nice wheel, though the extra weight and size start becoming more a problem.  I need to take it on the bus on occasion so something small is better.  The weight is ok from the perspective I can easily lift the weight normally, but when the fatigue kicks it becomes exponentially more a problem.

I'm hoping that things get better (illness goes!) as I really like the look of the V10f...

Hoping to pop up to Speedyfeet this week so will chat to Ian about the various options.  Will report back what I go for and will update on how well it works in my situation.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The KS-14D does have a lift sensor which is triggered by pulling up the trolley handle. I use one for last mile commuting to the train station on both ends of my commute. On the train, with the handle pushed in, the wheel fits between my knees. I think it's the perfect wheel for a short commute. It's been great for riding in the rain, little bits of snow, ice and road crud, bad roads with potholes, going up and down curbs etc.

It's light enough for me to pick it up to climb the steep steps up into the train and getting down. (yea, our train platforms are at street level and climbing up the steps is a pain)

For just riding around for fun, it's not fast enough.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:09 AM, ArthurMow said:

I have looked at the V8f and it does look a nice wheel, though the extra weight and size start becoming more a problem.

When I commute with V8, I rarely take subway and bus (just because riding outside is so nice and fast).
But from my few times taking bus and subway, I never got any issues.
The V8 thin profile is perfect for walking between  pedestrians, standing next to me (when standing) or between the legs (when sitting).

I believe all of the above will be true for V8f as well, technically the same.

• Like 2

Im also considering buying a second in the future. I love the 18L, but sometimes I wonder if its a bit much for those little 20minute rides, or when Im trying to crawl with a walker. I had the 14s for a day. It was such a cute wheel and easy to carry, but it was miserably less stable and comfortable than the 18L. I am eyeballing the ks16, but its out of ignorance as I only know the KS line of wheels. At 6'3" and 135lbs, I wonder how small i can go, before I freaking hate riding it? If RollNZ doesnt make a cover for it, I aint interested! The statement about noticing the comfort every mile you ride, vs the ease to carry every now and then, drives the point. These things are so expensive, I should probably find someone with a small wheel (already scratched) and see if we can do a day trade. Aside from less range, do the smaller battery wheels suffer from overlean cutout exponentially, or is there capacitor storage to meet the same demands, albeit for much less duration? Of course, a second baby wheel would have to be tough as nails. Its very unlikely I'd let a newbie ride along on my 18L, while I follow on the 14. Is 16" the magic number? At one point, losing 2" of wheel isnt a good trade off, if it becomes less likely to handle potholes, cracks and manhole covers. Of course, if a wheel aint water resistant, its useless.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1