EUC Charger Timer

Rehab1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Too bad it's limited to 6-hours. Just about all my wheels can take longer than 6-hours to charge.

Yah I wished it was longer. Unfortunately my rides aren't the duration of your travels so 6 hours of charging should work most of the time.

The wheels are stored in my barn 300 feet from my house so monitoring the charging process was the biggest issue for me. 

If Wi-Fi range isn't a problem, you can buy Wi-Fi smart plugs and have one for each wheel. You can add them all to an app on your phone, name each plug to match the wheel it's powering and control them remotely: switch on/off, set individual timers, charging schedules, etc.

3 minutes ago, Maarten Mariën said:

Any wifi smart plug with a decent app could work for this right? You can set timers from whichever time to whichever time you wish. And you can even check the power consumption going through it.

I got a notification for your reply the very instant I hit enter on my post. You beat me by a second!

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Maarten Mariën said:

Any wifi smart plug with a decent app could work for this right? You can set timers from whichever time to whichever time you wish. And you can even check the power consumption going through it.

Do you have a link any? Now keep in mind that Dan's was ~$12  A wifi plug that shows power consumption, etc hopefully won't cost $100

But that sounds like a cool option. I'll start Googling for one, but if you had something specific in mind, drop a link here.

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you have a link any? Now keep in mind that Dan's was ~$12  A wifi plug that shows power consumption, etc hopefully won't cost $100

But that sounds like a cool option. I'll start Googling for one, but if you had something specific in mind, drop a link here.

Just search smart plug on amazon. I am EU based so have different brands than you. Most will be around 20$ or around 60 for a pack of 4. I  have one TPlink hs110 as @Seba mentioned above and I also have 4 tecklin smart plugs. They all work perfect allthough the TP-link has a better app.

Can use them to track power consumption of something or to time something, or even to turn something on or off while not home.

Edited by Maarten Mariën
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I have sketchy wifi reception in my barn. Suppose I could steal the neighbor’s connection or just install a long distance repeater antenna. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Maarten Mariën said:

Just search smart plug on amazon. I am EU based so have different brands than you. Most will be around 20$ or around 60 for a pack of 4. I  have one TPlink hs110 as @Seba mentioned above and I also have 4 tecklin smart plugs. They all work perfect allthough the TP-link has a better app.

Can use them to track power consumption of something or to time something, or even to turn something on or off while not home.

Thanks for the product names. That's all I needed to do a search :)

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the product names. That's all I needed to do a search :)

@Marty Backe, let me know if TP-Link HS110 is available on US market. I plan to include direct support for this plug in EUC World for charging process control & monitoring.

• Like 1

Something simple like this

31d0Og9MX8L._AC_.jpg

I didn't realize that these simple modules allowed you to monitor the power usage. Even the manual doesn't list the power rating, but they give example loads including a 1500 watt iron. So it'll handle a fast charger.

I'm getting one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seba said:

@Marty Backe, let me know if TP-Link HS110 is available on US market. I plan to include direct support for this plug in EUC World for charging process control & monitoring.

Yes. Amazon Prime for $22

I'll have mine tomorrow :thumbup:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have sketchy wifi reception in my barn. Suppose I could steal the neighbor’s connection or just install a long distance repeater antenna. 

It requires a secure wifi connection so your neighbor's connection probably won't work, unless you guys are real buddies :D

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't realize that these simple modules allowed you to monitor the power usage.

There are two variants - HS100 without power metering and HS110 with power metering. I have communication protocol details for both, so both will be supported by EUC World, but HS110 will allow for charge monitoring, so it's much better to take this one. After initial setup Casa app won't be needed :) The only requirement is that both phone and smartplug will be logged to the same wireless network (or to be more precise, the same subnet).

Edited by Seba
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I seem to remember that @Sebawas looking into an interface between EUC World app and a smart plug so it would automatically turn off your charger when your wheel's battery reached 80%. Sounded like a very good idea. 

5 hours ago, Seba said:

Exactly. I plan to add charging control feature that will make use of TP-Link HS110 smartplug. This will allow to monitor charger operation and physically disconnect it from mains after charging conditions are met (time passed, current dropped, Wh transferred etc.).

Is it true what @mike_bike_kite says? If it is, I misunderstood it the other day. But your answer does not include this function, or is that meant by ect. :)
Does this mean that in the EUC World app I can enter the percentage of the battery where the smart plug should switch off, or just a fixed value that you programmed?

5 hours ago, Seba said:

When used with King Song wheels, it will also be able to monitor battery voltage during charging.

You mean when it is still connected to the wheel via Bluettooth during loading, but not when I am out and the wheel is at home, right?

I know you're very good, but since the smart plug has no Bluettooth and no KS Wheel integrated Wi-Fi, you'd have to be able to do magic if that were somehow feasible. :D

1 minute ago, buell47 said:

Does this mean that in the EUC World app I can enter the percentage of the battery where the smart plug should switch off, or just a fixed value that you programmed?

That's the plan, but to make it possible EUC World will have to be connected with wheel during charging process. Read more below...

3 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I know you're very good, but since the smart plug has no Bluettooth and no KS Wheel integrated Wi-Fi, you'd have to be able to do magic if that were somehow feasible. :D

But you will be able to use any cheap, old Android device with EUC World app in "charging monitor" mode that will  act as a gateway between your wheel and EUC World account, so you can use your regular phone to control entire process via Internet. This is of course one of the possible solutions. 

• Like 2