What do you look for in an EUC Youtube Channel?

seage

@Hsiang  is also my favorite EUC channel, close behind him is TGL (TheGrandeurLife) because he documents NYC from a practical delivery motivated POV with his posse. Anything EUC related by LOCK prod is just beautiful as well. And even though his videos might be long and his riding tame NonStopNeal is definitely the EUC rider I've watched the most, he has a very unique job that allows him to travel to amazing places and explore them on his wheel. He's vlog'd on his V8 in pretty much every city and country worth visiting in Europe, Thailand, and Australia.

But pretty much everyone in NYC Tishawn, houseofjob, etc.....I think the city makes for a much more interesting backdrop and it's prime for EUCs. I still don't like how irresponsible some of the East Coast riders are but I understand that supposedly is the way of things in such a highly congested area. But if you're on an EUC and you cause a fire or a bad accident the news coverage won't care about the unspoken traffic laws, you will just look bad and you will make EUCs look bad.

But I digress....

I think living in an interesting city, riding with interesting people, finding interesting things to talk about, being able to do tricks or tutorials, or just having a unique POV can make an EUC channel stand out. Really though production value is king! Having good audio, good video,  good camera-work and good direction will trump anything else.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tenofnine said:

@Hsiang  is also my favorite EUC channel, close behind him is TGL (TheGrandeurLife) because he documents NYC from a practical delivery motivated POV with his posse. Anything EUC related by LOCK prod is just beautiful as well. And even though his videos might be long and his riding tame NonStopNeal is definitely the EUC rider I've watched the most, he has a very unique job that allows him to travel to amazing places and explore them on his wheel. He's vlog'd on his V8 in pretty much every city and country worth visiting in Europe, Thailand, and Australia.

Ah yeah, i've been watching TGL recently! I like how chill he is. Dudes narration is so calm, lmao. Lock is ridiculous. He came to my city THE YEAR BEFORE I STARTED RIDING. Filmed my city in ways ive never seen. The way he frames and gets shots, I still cant tell you where some of those locations are because he made them so artistic. Just gorgeous. NonStopNeal seems like just a kind dude. I do like his vlogs around the world. 

But pretty much everyone in NYC Tishawn, houseofjob, etc.....I think the city makes for a much more interesting backdrop and it's prime for EUCs. I still don't like how irresponsible some of the East Coast riders are but I understand that supposedly is the way of things in such a highly congested area. But if you're on an EUC and you cause a fire or a bad accident the news coverage won't care about the unspoken traffic laws, you will just look bad and you will make EUCs look bad.

Haha, I have an opinion about the traffic laws stuff, but I'm saving it for a video, so I can be roasted by all the people I respect on these forums LOL. I look forward to doing battle. 

But you're right, the NYC folks are so good with it. Tishawn got me to bite the bullet on getting an EUC. Never even tried to ride like him, but he made it appealing and showed me what they could do and be. 

I think living in an interesting city, riding with interesting people, finding interesting things to talk about, being able to do tricks or tutorials, or just having a unique POV can make an EUC channel stand out. Really though production value is king! Having good audio, good video,  good camera-work and good direction will trump anything else.

I dont have the advantages of living in an interesting city, but I travel to one. And i have interesting people in my circle. I will disagree with your last point though (from a personal standpoint). There are actually a LOT of amazing filmmakers on youtube who you've never heard of because all they have is amazing production value. In my opinion, story and a human connection trumps all. If you can make people feel, you can get away with shooting with an ipod touch and a 1999 desktop mic tied to your backpack with mint floss, lmfaooooo. I think if you have that personality AND production value, said production value becomes almost like a character. You know like, certain camera moves and elements that you see and become accustomed to/feel comfortable when you see. Like in Tishawns videos, his slow motion sound and also his transition noise for me are characters. I know they're coming and i look forward to them. 

Thanks for engaging with me on my originally dead posttt!!!!! Lmao. You got the party started XDD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha no worries man! I'm glad you think so. 

I like Chooch the most and I also like evx. Roberace has an attractive riding style. U-stride has a nice riding style too.
I also like Robert Navarro on his Z10. I prefer watching vids with telemetry is possible unless it is more narrative based.
I also like it when people do tricks on their wheels.

So basically I like watching skilled riders because it is motivating for me.
I also like informative videos but they are few and far between so I get most of that from reading the forums instead.
So for instance range tests are interesting to watch as well as acceleration tests, hill climbing or even just ramblings about new stuff.

My own production value is zero haha.. just a GoPro 6. I have some additional stuff for it, gimbal, etc but it just became terribly impractical.

She will be in today's clip. 

So this. This is what I noticed myself falling into, because I'm like this with all of my passions. I get motivated and learn from them, so I kinda dont notice other elements. So i've been trying to step back and think WHY i like them, and then if I would still watch if i just randomly came accross a channel. Would this video cause me to stop and go "Hmm..okay, i'll listen for a bit..." or would i go, "no idea what this is, bye" and click off. I think EvX ticks that box. He drags you in with that storytelling style. And Roberace makes everything look like an action movie, all the time, for no reason. Its great fun and has good sharability in my opinion. Its like, it speaks to the kid in every adult, lmao. 

And yeah, i wish I could speak on the informative side, but i'm more of an organic fish..i flop around and get better skill wise, but I'm trash when it comes to putting together batteries or how motors work and wiring, and making lights and stuff like EUC Guy. Insane. But yeah, for the most part it feels like we (WE) enjoy stuff that furthers our love and interest and information around the hobby we're already invested in. Which makes perfect sense. But these are things that outsiders wouldnt give even half a crap about, hahaha. 

I do enjoy your videos. They're very raw and real. I think they're for the community. If the community was bigger, your views would be higher. Say, if we had similar hype to that of the Onewheel community, i think you'd be rocking high ass numbers. Because your content is fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

One thing that I am very tired of is the 360 camera distortion. A short artistic video with 360 distortion can be great but a longer video is annoying.  

Oh i see. Just in general? Or you'd rather a video with elements, so like a shot here and there. The 360 being peppered into the video rather than BEING the video? 

28 minutes ago, seage said:

So this. This is what I noticed myself falling into, because I'm like this with all of my passions. I get motivated and learn from them, so I kinda dont notice other elements. So i've been trying to step back and think WHY i like them, and then if I would still watch if i just randomly came accross a channel. Would this video cause me to stop and go "Hmm..okay, i'll listen for a bit..." or would i go, "no idea what this is, bye" and click off. I think EvX ticks that box. He drags you in with that storytelling style. And Roberace makes everything look like an action movie, all the time, for no reason. Its great fun and has good sharability in my opinion. Its like, it speaks to the kid in every adult, lmao. 

And yeah, i wish I could speak on the informative side, but i'm more of an organic fish..i flop around and get better skill wise, but I'm trash when it comes to putting together batteries or how motors work and wiring, and making lights and stuff like EUC Guy. Insane. But yeah, for the most part it feels like we (WE) enjoy stuff that furthers our love and interest and information around the hobby we're already invested in. Which makes perfect sense. But these are things that outsiders wouldnt give even half a crap about, hahaha. 

I do enjoy your videos. They're very raw and real. I think they're for the community. If the community was bigger, your views would be higher. Say, if we had similar hype to that of the Onewheel community, i think you'd be rocking high ass numbers. Because your content is fun to watch. 

Thanks! I have had similar discussions with Monika regarding her Instagram.
I told her that if she wants more followers she could just show more of her ass.
But then she has to ask herself why she is posting the content... and it's to share something that we love.
In her case it's dancing. In my case it's wheeling.

I used to make my videos a lot shorter and have them more formatted like a summary / music video but people actually said they preferred the longer versions. They do have a point because we can fast forward through the content and skip around in the video... which we will always do no matter how long or short it is anyway. :roflmao:

Like you say I make them for the community and for people who are interested in maybe getting a wheel. And making them is simple because it integrates with my riding and lifestyle.

Tomorrow I will be meeting two friends at 10 AM for some playing around at the Skate FlowPark and after that we will go for a cruise.
So expect to see some crazy slopes being climbed at that park.

Today I went for a 60km long cruise with Petra and Simon and I am currently working on putting it all together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seage said:

Oh i see. Just in general? Or you'd rather a video with elements, so like a shot here and there. The 360 being peppered into the video rather than BEING the video? 

Intros and editing shifts with 360 are great. Long rides and conversations while shifting through eye crossing impossible views gives me car sickness. The EUC looks impossible to most people that are not used to seeing them. The added twist of 360 distortion is not needed. 
I like the smooth transactions of JimmyChang.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, seage said:

I dont have the advantages of living in an interesting city, but I travel to one. And i have interesting people in my circle. I will disagree with your last point though (from a personal standpoint). There are actually a LOT of amazing filmmakers on youtube who you've never heard of because all they have is amazing production value. In my opinion, story and a human connection trumps all. If you can make people feel, you can get away with shooting with an ipod touch and a 1999 desktop mic tied to your backpack with mint floss, lmfaooooo. I think if you have that personality AND production value, said production value becomes almost like a character. You know like, certain camera moves and elements that you see and become accustomed to/feel comfortable when you see. Like in Tishawns videos, his slow motion sound and also his transition noise for me are characters. I know they're coming and i look forward to them. 

Thanks for engaging with me on my originally dead posttt!!!!! Lmao. You got the party started XDD

I actually 100% agree, but just based on the overwhelming evidence nowadays of what becomes popular and stays popular? Production value is always the common thread FAR above anything else.

I highly doubt Hsiang would be your favorite EUC vlogger if he used an ipod touch and had horrible audio filled with wind noise....if he didn't edit them so amazingly, if he didn't go to other locations aside from NYC (Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam and Taiwan, etc), if he didn't have dynamic camera angles and POVs. Style and production go hand and hand which are why people like Hsiang, LOCK, evX, Alien Rides, Speedyfeet, Marty, and Tishawn are standouts IMO. What good is something unique or interesting if you can't capture it properly (audio and video) to convey it to the masses?

As far as media with production value and nothing else? There are tons of examples (unfortunately), I'll give a few....

The Transformers movies - Story, acting, cinematography,  editing, etc is really bad....but the production values, advertising, and the amount of sheer money able to be thrown at these movies makes them popular still.

Logan Paul and other YTers like him - Everything about these "influencers" is atrocious, but they are popular because they have at least passable or great audio/video, they show all the expensive stuff they have/ how they live , AND most importantly a bunch of dumb teen girls like these type of attractive older male "personalities" even though they have nothing to say.

So if you have an EUC channel where you don't even talk just shoot HQ video with music and hire a bunch of hot women to ride Electric unicycles in skimpy outfits? Or get a bunch of popular heartthrob influencers to ride them and talk about them?

Production value will win even in the absence of anything else. In this modern age I can't think of any examples where the opposite is true and they are popular (bad production value but amazing content.) That's why even in our small community you always hear content makers talking about getting better mics and cameras....it is really important to keep up with that stuff on a platform where people click off a video in 5 seconds if it doesn't look or sound good.

Edited by tenofnine

Good storytelling. I have little interest in a collection of random scenes of someone or people riding electric unicycles, be it for 2 minutes or 2 hours.

Have good storytelling. Give it structure. Make it about a journey, a destination, a challenge. Even if it is just a 5 second intro text explaining what I'm about to see and what that means. Explain what you are doing (talk!). I want to hear your excitement and anticipation. And then do it and make me wonder how it will play out.

In order for a video to be interesting, what is filmed must be interesting, but you must also convey that and why it is interesting (to you) in your video. Mention something, foreshadow what is coming, so the viewer gets a reward when he sees that something later when it happens.

Specifically for any exploration type ride, I want to know how far it is, I want to hear your route explained and to know what you expect on the route and what it means to you (never mind "objective" facts that don't really matter to you), I want to see a progression, maybe even a map. Not at the end of the video. I want to experience the adventure along with you.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

I have to agree with meepmeepmayer's comment about good storytelling, and earlier in this thread someone mentioned production value - that too.

I am new to the EUC world, so I cannot point use any EUC channels as an example, but I will talk about a couple of non-related channels both of which are extremely popular.  That popularity is due to the story telling and the care taken in production.   

My first example is Andrew Camarata.who makes videos about his property management business in the deep woods of upstate NY.  Thousands of  people, myself included wait eagerly for each new posting.  It is not that we are intensely interested in watching someone build a long driveway through the woods or build a foundation for a house - it is all due to the fact that Andrew has honed his story  telling skills, and has also figured out that he needs multiple cameras (most are used older model GoPros that he repairs himself) to make the visuals interested.  He knows how to keep the viewer interested rather than bored.  Check out a few of his videos to see what I mean.  He can make mowing a grassy field more interesting than anything on broadcast TV. He does most all of his jobs solo, unless it something that really requires more than one person, and he makes his videos by himself, but does a better job than a whole crew of camera operators and video editors.

Another channel that is addictive because of the story telling and production is Goonzquad a channel put together by two Tennessee collage age brothers who buy totaled cars and put them back together.  The subject is not anything I am particularly interested in, but these kids make it both interesting and entertaining.  

I would suggest watching a few episodes of each of these channels and see if you can spot the magic that makes it all work.  My theory is that it isn't the subject so much as the presentation.  Figure out how they present stuff so well and use it to tell the story of our wonderful little machines and you will have a winner.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rainystateguy said:

My first example is Andrew Camarata.who makes videos about his property management business in the deep woods of upstate NY.

What do you know, I'm not the only one here wasting time with his videos:D

Big part of what he does is explaining what he is going to do (shortly and without wasting anyone's time), and then showing it. The finer editing details are lost on me, though, I can't explain what he does there. But I think it comes down to that he takes care to show every step sufficiently and not omit anything (which would make the viewer lose interest). Systematic buildup I guess. With complete information.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Wow, a fun (if grueling) blast of videos to watch just to keep up with the conversation!

The ElectricUnicycles channel has put out some of the most informative videos - news, and demonstrations or trials that count as news.  Oh, looking for the Gotway cutout bug on a new wheel, that sort of thing.  Science like that is not an everyday thing, and the substance is more significant than the showmanship.

As a selfless contributor to the EUC community, naturally your goal is the community's goal, which is political.  People need to see (1) I can do this, (2) It's useful, (3) No worries. And their mothers, aunts, and middle-aged cousins need to see (4) It's harmless and tame, (5) It won't get in my way even if everybody did it, and (6) If only more people sailed around like that, more parking spaces would be available closer to the shops. And of course (1) through (3) again, if the aforementioned mothers, aunts, and middle-aged cousins are rip-snorting cool characters.

• Like 1

My top priorities are (in no particular order) storytelling, quality footage and editing, relevance, emotion and immediacy/non-commitment

Production values are the first thing that catches your eye and will keep you hooked, waiting for more, before you even know what the video is about. A video can turn out to be interesting 1min. in, but with the amount of content we're subjected to nowadays, if the first 30" don't grasp viewers' attention, the video is "doomed" to hardcore followers only.

But then it also needs to take you somewhere, on a journey, and engage the viewer (on an emotional level) in a way the he feels like he's a part of it, which meep's suggestions contribute to greatly. Length is important too: I don't sit down and say, "OK, I have an hour and a half of YT time" (as if I were going to watch a movie), "what am I going to watch?" I get a notification, and maybe have 5-10-15 min. to spare, and watch a video here, and a video there. 30-40' videos just don't work for me, no matter how interesting they are (unless very well structured and engaging rthroughout). I think it's important to adapt to the format and divide into parts when a topic requiring lengthier discussion is involved.

When thinking about a channel that appeals to non-riders as well as riders, I think striking the right balance between showing how cool riding an EUC is, and showing the places where it can take you is extremely important. Stress the landscape. Make a point of how you couldn't reach that place by car. Find a way to portray the advantages of riding an EUC. Take people on a journey they wish they could be a part of. As meep said, it needs to be an experience that people find themselves yearning to have.

Relevance in the sense that regardless of how enjoyable a ride was to one's self, it's important to ask one's self "Will this be interesting to other people?", "Do I need to include the 5' chat we had at the base of the trail? Is that relevant in terms of storytelling, or engaging to anyone who wasn't there, or should I cut out everything but the essentials and jump straight into 'the action'?"

And immediacy because there are a lot of channels out there that become engaging once you've seen a few videos, gotten to know their style, become familiar with the "character(s)", etc. But if you watched one of their videos for the very first time, would you still find them interesting? Would someone else who's never seen a video of theirs before?

Take NonStopNeal, for instance. I'd never heard of him until his channel was mentioned in this thread. The first video I clicked on starts with an explanation on how his wheel hasn't yet arrived, etc., telling a story I know nothing about. If I hadn't read about him in this thread and known it's worth devoting the time to "delve into his story" and start at the beginning, I would have closed the tab and moved onto something else (not hating, just pointing out what I feel is relevant for this particular discussion). People will only follow if they're willing to start from the beginning of his journey and "get to know him" and his story, which requires a degree of "commitment" which I'd avoid when starting a new channel. I also think that in a vlog-style channel, the assumption that people know "your story" (even if it's the case for subscribers) can detract from future viewers in the same way starting a a series mid-season could. A quick recap, and some footage to catch the eye, could go a long way in terms of generating interest as opposed to going straight to "here I am now, waiting for my wheel to arrive", for instance. Non-linear story-telling ("look at this" >> "but how did we get there?" >> "2 days earlier") can go a long ways in that sense.

I prefer self-contained, "compartmentalized" videos anyway (something I really like about Hsiang's videos), but that's a personal preference and different story. In terms of what we're discussing here, I mention it only because I think it's important to avoid that "commitment requirement" when starting a channel.

This topic is particularly interesting to me because I'm just starting a channel of my own too. I have a general idea of where I'm heading, but for now, my videos are just practice/getting the hang of the Insta360 and a feel for how to approach/not to approach future videos. Like meep suggested, I think they need more context &background, maybe narration (or the same but accomplished through visual storytelling), but that will require more time, involvement (and possibly equipment) which I don't currently have, so for now, it's a matter of slowly finding my way through trial an error.

Which leads me to my last point: trying and practicing (even failing) are just as important as all of what's been said above :)

P.S. This thread is also turning into an interesting compendium of good EUC Youtube channels. Thanks for the suggestions, have subscribed to many of them! :thumbup:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, RockyTop said:

One thing that I am very tired of is the 360 camera distortion. A short artistic video with 360 distortion can be great but a longer video is annoying.  

I totally agree. It can be a fun resource for specific scenes/circumstances, but shouldn't be over-abused. All my videos are recorded with an Insta360. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to approach it as a "mobile cameraman" that allows me to get (traditional, non-distorted 2D) shots I couldn't get otherwise, and am careful to avoid the fish-eye effect wherever possible. All the warping, "tiny planet" effects feel like an over-abused novelty gimmick that doesn't really appeal to me. When I think Insta360, I think of much more creative and appealing uses such as (some of) these:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

Yeah,  What @travsformation said.....

I like Duf and Nonstop Neal. I am old enough to enjoy the journey rather than the destination. To pull off that type of video you have to have the right kind of personality. They are like friends that you know. You don’t expect much real information in a Non Stop Neal video. Duf does give more useful info but most of the time he is just living his life and enjoying his toys.

My warning about telling a story is that you need to get your fact right. Some of the people on this forum have been around from the beginning and remember what actually happened or how things came about. This is why I was turned off by one of the mentioned YouTubers. 

I liked the Chooch videos until I passed him in skill level :whistling: The videos are great they just lack substance. His review video are good. 

You just need to find your spot. What are you best at? Do that. 

Disclaimer: My better than Chooch skills have only been proven in a sleep state while taking a mixture of NyQuil and something my wife gave me....... Midol? Maybe?  I don’t know but I could fly and shoot lightning from my finger tips. I was Captain finger. ......... I probably should have kept that to myself. 

• Like 3

Some of Chooch's videos were the final motivation for me getting my first EUC....he's in Denver and I witnessed him plowing through a foot of snow with one of the oldest under-powered EUCs like it was nothing.

Then I saw how he ripped on his EUCs and it was inspiring until I found out his height and weight which led to me figuring out how significantly that affects what you are able to get out of these wheels. He no doubt has incredible skills and instincts, but his size and weight allow him to do things on his wheel that would have severely injured most many times over.

That's kind of what is cool about EUCs, in almost every other facet of life as a guy being taller and having more mass is advantageous. But not with EUCs the exact opposite is true and being smaller and lighter is like having a super power on these things.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

i wont watch anything that plays music that i dont like through out the video lol irritates the hell out of me and i just can't sit through it, never understood why so many youtubers do it tbh because music taste is very subjective to different individuals...  id much rather listen to commentary or even just raw sound of the wheel and the surroundings when watching videos. not sure if he's on this forum but i find 'isthereanyfood' gets the balance perfect

• Like 1