A "video section" instead of "THE video thread" ?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just a single new "Videos" subforum?

Yes. All we need is a single "Video" forum. You can move some existing posts like the Video Thread into this new forum. But this will encourage us to create additional posts within this forum. 

For example, we can now make Posts under it and they will get more attention than simply following the one thread with 655 pages of comments and random videos. You can pin a post at the top of the Thread recommending new posts with regards to various aspects of Video. I can see the following posts starting new threads:

1. Hardware - What's the best camera for filming? Pros and Cons etc.
  2. City Riding - Post the best city lane splitting video (ok, maybe not, but people already do this)
  3. Off Road - Video of trail rides that are fun and some that are just tough
  4. No Comments - just video (turn off commenting on this thread)
  5. Video Techniques - What keeps viewers engaged?
  6. Misc - And a bunch more posts with topics we haven't even thought of yet.

I think in this case there will wind up being multiple video threads based on topic instead of a single video thread and that alone will be a big improvement.

All of the following threads could be moved into the Video Forum to start:

It will take off from there on it's own.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Give us concrete ideas what you would like.

This is my concrete idea. Do as you will...

• Like 3

Hey mods, what's going on with this? How hard is it to make a Video Forum? I feel like from the discussion I've seen it's all a good idea, yeah, let's do it, zzzzzzzzzzzz.........

asleep-at-the-wheel.jpg

Who's driving this bus? 

I've been waiting for something to happen. In the mean time I've created a new Topic here:

Would love to have it and the other Topics I've mentioned above moved into a Video Forum, whenever the time is right and the committee has a chance to make this complicated, life altering forum change. :innocent1:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Hey mods, what's going on with this? How hard is it to make a Video Forum? I feel like from the discussion I've seen it's all a good idea, yeah, let's do it, zzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Who's driving this bus? 

I've been waiting for something to happen. In the mean time I've created a new Topic here:

Would love to have it and the other Topics I've mentioned above moved into a Video Forum, whenever the time is right and the committee has a chance to make this complicated, life altering forum change. :innocent1:

Well we are debating best approches and since not all are here every minute or day these things takes time. I rather do this right than having to re structure ever so often. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's great that we now have a separate video section but a shame that very few people use it the way it was intended :(

We still have everyone adding to one thread so that new topics get lost instead of having a separate thread with it's own title.

Any chance the mods / admin team could offer a gentle reminder?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gasmantle said:

It's great that we now have a separate video section but a shame that very few people use it the way it was intended :(

We still have everyone adding to one thread so that new topics get lost instead of having a separate thread with it's own title.

Any chance the mods / admin team could offer a gentle reminder?

To be honest, I'm forever confused about these multiple threads. Am I supposed to double post my video in both threads? If not, what's the criteria for posting in one vs the other.

I'm lazy so I tend to just do what I've always done.

• Like 1

Hi Marty, you post a lot of good videos and I'm interested in the Mten3 that you are now featuring but it gets lost in the long video thread - (I missed it and only saw it via your youtube page)

I thought it would be easier if you just started a new thread with its own title for each new topic and forget about the long video thread.

How about having a Mten3 thread then if you talk about mirrors for example on a later date start a mirror thread etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi Marty, you post a lot of good videos and I'm interested in the Mten3 that you are now featuring but it gets lost in the long video thread - (I missed it and only saw it via your youtube page)

I thought it would be easier if you just started a new thread with its own title for each new topic and forget about the long video thread.

How about having a Mten3 thread then if you talk about mirrors for example on a later date start a mirror thread etc.

I actually do create new threads where appropriate and then post the video in the video thread and my new thread. For instance, I did create a new 67-volt Mten3 topic in the Gotway section.

And I created a Mirror thread where I posted my helmet mirror video. It's in the Riding Safety section.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I actually do create new threads where appropriate and then post the video in the video thread and my new thread. For instance, I did create a new 67-volt Mten3 topic in the Gotway section.

And I created a Mirror thread where I posted my helmet mirror video. It's in the Riding Safety section.

I understand that Marty but I thought it would be easier if instead of people just adding to the video thread they just created a new topic in the video section.

Surely it makes sense for each new topic to have it's own thread and a title that reflects what it is about.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

This is precedent enough for me. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gasmantle said:

I understand that Marty but I thought it would be easier if instead of people just adding to the video thread they just created a new topic in the video section.

Surely it makes sense for each new topic to have it's own thread and a title that reflects what it is about.

Maybe, but at least for me (too many videos), that's more work than I want :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Also, one gets notifications that something has been added to the video thread. You don't get a notification if the video is put into a new thread.

You can actually subscribe to a whole forum. I get a daily e-mail summary for the entire video section :)

(but I'm not sure how many users are actually aware of this...)

12 hours ago, Unventor said:

So moderator hat on again... We are listning to feedback always but some changes take time. And we take feedback from people with many different views. Then we debate, debate and listen some more, at some point changes is done again. We do this to keep the forum relevant for asany members as possible new or long time member or even founders... 

Yeah, it seems like the video forum isn't gaining too much traction, and a lot of threads are going unnoticed. The Video Thread is still the simplest, most straight-forward way for "video consumers" to keep up with new content, and for video creators to just drop a link without having to create a new thread (and getting much more visibility).

I'm a bit divided, to be honest, as per-video threads encourage conversation more without derailing what is already a chaotic and gargantuan thread. For me, the new video forum is still in test run mode...let's see how it evolves and how users feel about it. It's nice to get feedback (positive or negative)...it's the silence that's unnerving  ;)

• Like 3

Is just seems odd to me that half the content of the forum is in one thread that has no index.

I think potentially the forum loses visitors owing to the way it's just lumping everything into one thread.

Now I find it easier to just check youtube every day or so, I can see what videos are new and see what the content is straight away.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, ZenRyder said:

Nobody has really been against this, right? One thing to consider is how to let people know how to use the new "feature". A post could be made referencing the new Forum and how to subscribe to it. Explaining the categories and how you can post videos in the different categories, but be alerted to all new videos by subscribing to the entire forum. 

Does there need to be a grand council of the mods to get this thing going?

Im against anything that requires me to try and think about organization. I made it as far as your post and realized, I am in the wrong place.. Seriously tho, I will work with whatever you bring me. I dont mind the way it is, but yeah its a lot of pages. When you consider that each is in youtube and you chase those links too... Could be lifetimes to get out! I am seriously reconsidering even bothering anymore with video, as it seems Ive little to offer to a market already flooded...  I vote for whatever is easiest for the mods.

• Like 1