A "video section" instead of "THE video thread" ?

1 minute ago, Cory Brown said:

As a newer member, I have been far too intimidated by the size of the video thread to even look at it. I guess I'm too much of a completionist...

If you approach it with the idea of watching them all, you might need several lifetimes for that. :efee612b4b:

I'd suggest picking it up now (if you're interested, of course), and following at your leisure. If you try to go back too far, you'll end up in a rabbit hole only a professional (miner?) will be able to dig you out of :roflmao:

6 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Personally, although I admit it's a fairly chaotic affair, I enjoy the current, unified format. It would be too easy to miss lots of great content if all videos were posted in threads of their own, unless you specifically subscribe to users whose videos you enjoy. But you'd still be likely to miss out on tons of stuff...

This is a good point, but it looks like you can follow an entire forum. I just tried this and it appeared to allow me to follow a "Forum". So that means if you created a "Video Forum", people can subscribe to it and not "miss out" on any of the posts there. Then we could have posts and thread in the Video Forum on Trail riding, City riding, stunts, tricks, etc. All focused on posting videos or commenting on them. 

The ease of posting YouTube links allows us to have a context driven community built around the discussion of the Videos. I think it would become the most popular forum on ElectricUnicycle.org.

Let's do it!!!  :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

This is a good point, but it looks like you can follow an entire forum. I just tried this and it appeared to allow me to follow a "Forum". So that means if you created a "Video Forum", people can subscribe to it and not "miss out" on any of the posts there. Then we could have posts and thread in the Video Forum on Trail riding, City riding, stunts, tricks, etc. All focused on posting videos or commenting on them. 

The ease of posting YouTube links allows us to have a context driven community built around the discussion of the Videos. I think it would become the most popular forum on ElectricUnicycle.org.

Let's do it!!!  :laughbounce2:

Very interesting approach. I'm not against it, but for now, I'm not going to endorse it, I reckon' I've probably already done enough to provoke the wrath of the mods! ;)

Edited by travsformation

6 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Very interesting approach. I'm not against it, but for now, I'm not going to endorse it, I reckon' I've probably already enough to provoke the wrath of the mods!

I think this would be a real plus for the whole site. It would engage more new people which is what we are looking for right? 

Come on people, let's fix the whole video thread thing. It would be soooo much more usable!

I'm not worried about the mods!

Fire-Shield1.jpg

Bring it...  :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

We could expand the section to include video tips and tricks to help us all improve our videography and editing skills.

I've been wanting to start a thread/have a section on video recording/editing for some time...good idea!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Edit: I'm not asking any mods for your opinion because I imagine you're probably already cursing under your breath at the fact I started this thread in the first place  ;):P:efee612b4b:

The opposite is true. We're discussing this as well at the moment (inspired by the recent discussions like the ones you quoted), and your opinions greatly help! Every initiative needs all the momentum it can get if we don't want to miss out on a good idea.

As far as I'm concerned (you get my personal opinion whether you want it or not), my reply to your topic is simply a big fat "Yes!!" (honorable mention goes to @Gasmantle)

The Video Thread can continue as a video index thread where no discussion is allowed and you can only post a short description, a video embed, and a link to the respective topic about the video, for example. People can see "every" video without distractions by checking this one thread and then enjoy all the discussion the want by following the links to the topics in the "Videos" subforum.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, Marty Backe said:

So yes, I'm all in favor of a no-comment video thread.

I think a video section would be great, especially if combined with a "no-comment" thread... But there does need to be somewhere for people to comment on, ask questions about, et cetera.

• Like 3

There is no way to cross post to multiple topics, right? I'm guessing it's a limitation of the software or an egregious violation of forum etiquette. 

However, it would be really nice if we could discuss in one Video forum and have all posted videos automatically (or by cross posting) to a Video Only section which doesn't allow comments. 

It's such an annoyance to have to remember to double post everything that even @Marty Backe quit because of the hassle.

So somehow we'd need to make it easy. Now this would be a nice to have, in my book, not a requirement. 

Having a Video forum with multiple topics and posts would already be a plus. But that would be icing on the cake. 

dbb6a81f295bfd83809ac1ac01410eb8.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/17/2020 at 11:03 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

The opposite is true. We're discussing this as well at the moment (inspired by the recent discussions like the ones you quoted), and your opinions greatly help! Every initiative needs all the momentum it can get if we don't want to miss out on a good idea.

As far as I'm concerned (you get my personal opinion whether you want it or not), my reply to your topic is simply a big fat "Yes!!" (honorable mention goes to @Gasmantle)

The Video Thread can continue as a video index thread where no discussion is allowed and you can only post a short description, a video embed, and a link to the respective topic about the video, for example. People can see "every" video without distractions by checking this one thread and then enjoy all the discussion the want by following the links to the topics in the "Videos" subforum.

:thumbup:

Glad you're on board! The influx of newcomers is proving very positive indeed! They bring fresh ideas and are a reminder of the need to make things more user-friendly (and future-proof) as the forum grows. Glad the mods are on board!

5 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

here is no way to cross post to multiple topics, right? I'm guessing it's a limitation of the software or an egregious violation of forum etiquette. 

However, it would be really nice if we could discuss in one Video forum and have all posted videos automatically (or by cross posting) to a Video Only section which doesn't allow comments. 

It's such an annoyance to have to remember to double post everything that even @Marty Backe quit because of the hassle.

So somehow we'd need to make it easy. Now this would be a nice to have, in my book, not a requirement. 

Having a Video forum with multiple topics and posts would already be a plus. But that would be icing on the cake. 

If, as you said in a previous post, it's possible to subscribe to a whole sub-section, that would make following videos threads much easier!

As to having posts in both, it's not that much work to drop the video in both places and add a link to the specific thread (where conversation can take place), but that's what I say now...I can easily see it getting tedious in the long run. It would be nice if there were bots, like in Telegram messenger, that could automate the process and share links of all threads posted in the video section straight to The video thread.

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Glad you're on board! The influx of newcomers is proving very positive indeed! They bring fresh ideas and are a reminder of the need to make things more user-friendly (and future-proof) as the forum grows. Glad the mods are on board!

I’m on board. Let’s get this done,

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m on board. Let’s get this done,

Awesome!!! Getting my next video ready to post in the new dedicated Video Forum.

Let me know when it's ready. I'm waiting patiently... :w00t2:

Open.gif

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe a "No comment Video Thread" to go along with the normal "Video Thread"? This way nobody loses anything. And people who want to see "every" video will manage to check two threads instead of one.

I agree with @ZenRyder about creating a video sub-forum (I'd just call it "video"). I looked into it and it is indeed possible to subscribe to an entire sub-forum...although I can envision it being tedious if you get notifications for every single comment posted in every single thread.

Even if it requires double-posting, we could use the current video thread as a sort of index, and people who just want to share their video can share it there, and people who want to have a discussion can create a topic in the video sub-forum and also share it in the video thread, along with a link to the topic they created for their video.

Nobody has really been against this, right? One thing to consider is how to let people know how to use the new "feature". A post could be made referencing the new Forum and how to subscribe to it. Explaining the categories and how you can post videos in the different categories, but be alerted to all new videos by subscribing to the entire forum. 

Does there need to be a grand council of the mods to get this thing going?

5 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Nobody has really been against this, right?

Yep.

But before something is done, we must know what exactly that is:)

Just a single new "Videos" subforum?

A new Video section containing a "Videos" subforum and a "Making Videos" subforum, for example (and other new video subforums)?

Give us concrete ideas what you would like. We mods will pick the best one.

• Like 1

Whilst I think we all broadly agree on having some kind of a separate video section to replace the single video thread I can appreciate it isn't as easy to find the best way forward.

One thing I'd like to suggest for consideration though is the possibility of directing wheel maintenance videos into the mods / repairs section and not in the proposed new video section.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Gasmantle

51 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep.

But before something is done, we must know what exactly that is:)

Just a single new "Videos" subforum?

A new Video section containing a "Videos" subforum and a "Making Videos" subforum, for example (and other new video subforums)?

Give us concrete ideas what you would like. We mods will pick the best one.

Fair enough.

But let's explain first what is a "sub forum". I don't see any examples of that in existence on the site currently. Most forums have a post pinned to the top by a mod for general instructions, but I don't see any forums with any type of sub categories. How would this be implemented? Is there an example?