Knee pads, strap on, easy to carry.

10 hours ago, Mishkin said:

I ride at modest speeds, usually 25-35kph and take my wheel everywhere I can. This means I need my protective gear to be quick to put on regardless of what I'm wearing and when I take it off I need it to be easy to carry with me in a bag. Hopefully at those speeds I make the choice that don't need the most protection in the world (not saying that still isn't wise though!). Even the Triple 8/Protec style knee pads with the plastic knee caps are a bit big in a bag (for me), when you add elbow pads, wrist guards (I use the Flexmeters) as well.

For anyone else with a similar requirement, I have recently been using the Icon Field Armor Street Knee pads. Intended for light motorcycle use from what I can tell, they are strap on, they have D3O inserts as well as a hard cap, and what is great is they have an otherwise pretty flat profile when not being worn, which makes them very easy to carry in a bag compared to many other options.

http://www.rideicon.com/gear/mens/protective/field-armor-street-knee/black

Would recommend them, but also keen for anyone else's tips/recommendations for similar use cases. I know they won't offer the best protection available but I believe it's a good compromise. Cheers!

I need to see these the next time we roll past each other....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfoxdude said:

I have been using these for a few months now, and I really like them, too! :thumbup:

I’ve been looking for secondary protectors for myself. Do these reach far enough to cover the side of the knee as well?

Edited by mrelwood

32 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

The outside shell is hard plastic, so I suppose they would slide?

Is it truly hard? From those pictures it looks more like a hard rubber than the rigid plastic on the slider-type knee pads.

23 hours ago, Mishkin said:

Would recommend them, but also keen for anyone else's tips/recommendations for similar use cases

The reason I wouldn't get those knee pads is that they don't cover the shin area. 

These are great, and go on and off quickly with velcro straps: https://www.leatt.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/5449/s/knee-shin-guard-3-0-ext-black/category/774/

Edited by erk1024

I have them. They are my first knee pads before I bought Leatt Dual Axis.

I wish I just purchase the Leatt and skipping these all together. These looks easy to strap-on (*wink) and off but the Leatt is actually faster and easier to put on and off. The material on these is really thick which is good for protection but they do not bend very well and they slides down during my rides no matter how tight I wear them. I don't have any of those problem with the Leatt. The only plus side is yes they are compact to store and carry and cheaper than Leatt Dual Axis.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I’ve been looking for secondary protectors for myself. Do these reach far enough to cover the side of the knee as well?

Yes the side is covered by really thick nylon material but the D3O only on the knee cap. You supposed to wear the straps on the inside of your knee which sometimes the hard plastic buckles rubs on each others.

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is it truly hard? From those pictures it looks more like a hard rubber than the rigid plastic on the slider-type knee pads.

It's hard rubber but the texture is really smooth and slick. I'm sure it will slide on pavements even though not as good as hard plastic.

2 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

The reason I wouldn't get those knee pads is that they don't cover the shin area. 

When I wear them they always slides down so they covers my shins alright just not my knees :lol:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

These are great, and go on and off quickly with velcro straps: https://www.leatt.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/5449/s/knee-shin-guard-3-0-ext-black/category/774/

Are shins really at risk in most wrecks?  I'm having trouble seeing how hitting on other than your knees would be much of an issue.  I've tested my current knee pads (https://demonsnow.com/store/Demon-Derby-4.0-X-D3O) running and sliding on concrete with them - with the thickness of the pad my shin didn't really come close to touching anything.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, ir_fuel said:

The outside shell is hard plastic, so I suppose they would slide?

I don't think these will slide as well as the Triple 8/Protec style. That's a trade off I mentioned, but for portability and the fact they are made for motorcycles from a brand that seems reputable even if they are entry level, I'm still happy enough wearing them. I don't have any issue with slipping.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, 2 Drinks Behind said:

Are shins really at risk in most wrecks?

One of the days I only wore knee pads, I bailed when I bogged down in some grass and somehow one of the pedals got me in the shin. !@$@#! So now I always wear the ones with shin guards. Oh, and grass is evil.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:37 PM, 2 Drinks Behind said:

Are shins really at risk in most wrecks?  I

Not when really falling (although people manage to hurt the weirdest parts of their body :D ), but I started wearing shin protection when off-roading. If you slip of one of your pedals or have a sudden dismount/imbalance the wheel will fall against the leg of the foot that's still on the pedal, banging into your shin.

Leatt dual axis are awesome but they offer stuff all protection when i was riding backwards at 20kmh lol. Maybe i can strap em to my arse or to my helmet to get best use of them when going in reverse???/