Geared Motors

Mono

• 1 year later...

I used to build e bikes almost 10 years ago with these Mac motors.  They are truly amazing motors, and the weight to power didn't compare to the hub motors. They are a bit louder than hubs,(but hardly) however I favored them. Mac sold them with different gear "numbers" if you wanted a high torque or high speed.  The nylon gears do eventually wear, however I never had to service or replace mine.  These would be brilliant on our EUC's !

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 1

Geared motor on an EUC brings memories to many long time riders. RockWheel used some kind of gearing system in the GR16 back in the day, a few millennia ago… I don’t think it was all that successful.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Geared motor on an EUC brings memories to many long time riders. RockWheel used some kind of gearing system in the GR16 back in the day, a few millennia ago… I don’t think it was all that successful.

I can’t imagine it would be. If you want more torque a bigger diameter, wider motor with more steps / fields makes more sense. Gears are just something to go wrong. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I can’t imagine it would be. If you want more torque a bigger diameter, wider motor with more steps / fields makes more sense. Gears are just something to go wrong. 

Not having much experience with BLDC motor design, I was wondering about that.

Simply put, what are be the benefits of geared motors compared to building a hub motor with the right Kv for the application.
Is it because a wheel at zero or very low rpm can always get more torque from a geared motor than a hub motor - both systems being tuned for the same no-load speed?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Not having much experience with BLDC motor design, I was wondering about that.

Simply put, what are be the benefits of geared motors compared to building a hub motor with the right Kv for the application.
Is it because a wheel at zero or very low rpm can always get more torque from a geared motor than a hub motor - both systems being tuned for the same no-load speed?

We use geared motors when physical limitations are to great or when it is cheaper and easier. 

Take elevators (lifts) for example: (simplified)

They have geared and gearless motor configurations. Both systems work. The gearless motors are much larger in diameter. Even then they take advantage of a 2:1 pulley configuration to work. They are smooth and fast, best fitted for 10 -100 floors. Best suited for passenger use. They could work in a 1:1 construction yet the motor would have to be ridiculously large. As they are some older gearless motors are 8 feet tall. So why do they have geared elevators? …. The answer is money and space.  Most elevators less than ten floors are geared. They are slow cheap and can lift heavy weight. They are less complicated electronically because they are not controlled by every field and pulse that passes by in the motor. The geared motors basically just ramp up power then ramp back down. Simple cheap. Let the gear resistance do the rest. 

Disclaimer: The above refers to most elevators. Some geared elevators are roped 2:1. Some elevators are 4:1. Or even more. A recent change from cables to belts allows for smaller drive shivs. This allows for less movement per motor RPM effectively blowing old rules away.= smaller motors.  Old rules: gearless 2:1 gearbox is usually around 40:1 

• Like 3

I also wonder about gear lash and how much precision is required of the mechanics to keep it from being a thing. Maybe hydrostatic 'gearing'? (nah, we still want speed don't we!)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I also wonder about gear lash and how much precision is required of the mechanics to keep it from being a thing. Maybe hydrostatic 'gearing'? (nah, we still want speed don't we!)

Good point. one set of gears would not be so bad but it would likely be noticeable. The floating could be unnerving. floating-prolonged time without positive or negative pressure on the gear.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, supercurio said:

Electric motors can be built to a huge range of specifications, but what electric motors generally love best is spinning at insane RPMs and light loads. That is what usually allows you wring out the best performance and efficiency numbers and the best power-to-weight/size ratio out of an electric motor (as long as you can get the cooling figured out). 

I fly electric RC planes, and even in the day and age of hugely torquey outrunner motors the very highest end performance electric gliders are powered by inrunner motors with a 6.7:1 planetary gearbox attached. Those things spin gigantic 22'' folding propellers for maximum climbing efficiency.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to use nylon gears, steel and composite gears are available and they are much more durable. Of course they are a bit louder, but I wouldn't mind having a better climbing torque at low speeds accompanied with a sound of a motor. 

My S18 is not silent in such conditions and I can feel how it struggle on those steep uphill trails.

Edited by Ro.man
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 9:10 AM, RayRay said:

Up the voltage and motor power. (Worked so far...)

What could go wrong?

I am sad this thread died because I hoped someone would mention that adding more power usually adds more weight.

All the wheels coming out in 2022 are over 75lbs (so far); and, if this trend continues, could soon surpass 100+ lbs.

Since it takes more batteries (in series) to reach a higher voltage, I think at some point this strategy needs to give...

(How heavy is too heavy?)

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I am sad this thread died because I hoped someone would mention that adding more power usually adds more weight.

All the wheels coming out in 2022 are over 75lbs (so far); and, if this trend continues, could soon surpass 100+ lbs.

Since it takes more batteries (in series) to reach a higher voltage, I think at some point this strategy needs to give...

(How heavy is too heavy?)

For me over 30kg (66lbs) Are to heavy, at that point beats the purpose of euc in my eyes. That are light enough to carry in train and 2/3 floor house.

If people don't need to carry them at all, i see appeal of heavy powerful wheels.

And most people. (Talking about regular "Joe") Buys something small, fast enough, lightweight.. Around or less 20kg(44lbs). For small city runs etc. And if they get hooked on, they most likely will buy another wheel later..

Companies need to start releasing "second round" of new lightweight wheels.. As they provide more income regularly.

Nowadays it's all about who has the biggest DuCK contest..:efeee20b79:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Funky said:

Companies need to start releasing "second round" of new lightweight wheels

And if gear lash and transmission reliability can be solved, perhaps a geared motor is a way to get zippy and light and small out of a small battery? I'm thinking something I can toss my eBike battery on... maybe with a CVT in the hub so it has torque and a bit of speed? I have no idea how to make such a CVT that'll go both directions, but uni-directional designs are starting to show up in the ebike world.

I think it is possible that we will see a continously variable transmission in EUCs.

The concept could be like Nuvinci (ebike) but has to last higher torque than nowadays.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 6:20 AM, tst said:

euc motors are way heavier than needed

The manufacturers aren't dumb... 

I think the benefits of today's layout were covered nicely above:

On 9/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, RagingGrandpa said:
On 9/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, RockyTop said:

We use <single-ratio> geared motors when physical limitations are too great, or when it is cheaper and easier. 

Great point.

For EUC's, we seem to have found a motor type that fits nicely inside the machine, so no need for gearing.

• Like 1