KS18L stolen in Tyrol / Austria

OneWheelWolfi

Hello everyone,

I am new here in the forum ( but frequent reader!).

The (sad) reason why I am writing here today is that this afternoon my KS18L was stolen in Tyrol ( Pettnau) / Austria. I went for a coffee and lost direct eye contact to my wheel for about 15 minutes....in this time someone took away my KS18L.

Description:

- KS18L Ser.Nr. KS18L2W180612B010

- total mileage 10775 km

- painting glossy orange with black "happy skulls" on the sidewalls

- XL KS Pedals

- on top key-operated switch to activate / deactivate power button

- XT90 charging connector instead of lenovo

- Kenda tyre looks like a slick tire ( but is nice to ride!)

- battery packs got new bms, so they have no longer a black plastic housing, but blue shrink tubes with labels from 1radwerkstatt.

So maybe if there is someone looking for a KS18 charger with XT90 connector or is selling a KS18L wheel without charger that could be mine...please let me know by PM.

Thanks in advance , Wolfi

• Like 3

It just seems a little odd to me that it would be stolen. It's a relatively high mileage model with worn out tyres and somewhat "unique" colouring. It also has extra security. There's also the very low chance that a criminal would be able to ride it. Are you sure someone didn't object to it being left outside their shop/house and just moved it? 

• Like 2

I left my wheel once in an (at times) unattended wardrobe. The place was wiped clean by, I must assume, a group of thieves, but they left the wheel behind. I am sure it was one of the most valuable items, but also difficult to sell. It's a few years ago though.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

Hello,

thanks for your thoughts on this topic! Nevertheless i think i should clarify some points:

the place where i lost my wheel is a gas station with a motorway on its frontside and a bike-lane on the backside; it's a place i know well. EUC's aren't very common here and so i never had concerns to leave my well as long as i have direct eye contact to it. This time i didn't realize that the place i used to drink a coffee was already taken by another guest, so i chose one where i lost eye contact...that was the mistake. The wheel was powered off but unlocked then.

Of course i checked the place thoroughly and for sure police did this afterwards also.

Apart from that the appearance of the was quite good and i dont think anyone powers on the wheel and connect to any app to check mileage in this situation.

Conclusion: neither myself nor the police can find my wheel. Probably it is stolen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneWheelWolfi said:

the place where i lost my wheel is a gas station with a motorway on its frontside and a bike-lane on the backside

OK, I guess you made a truck driver from one of those a less wealthy countries around happy then...

I wonder if attaching something like a TrackR Pixel inside the shell might have let you track the wheel down.  I think there might be a feature where if it senses it's beyond a certain distance from you, an alarm goes off?

https://www.amazon.com/TrackR-pixel-Bluetooth-Tracking-Compatible/dp/B073HSNZDJ

It would a nice EUC feature if manufacturers were able to build in a GPS locator/alarm into their wheels so that the app could trigger alarms through the speaker if it gets stolen.  I'm sure it's not hard to wire in a motion sensor alarm system? Or just do it yourself?

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Waterproof-Vibration-Triggered-Motorcycle/dp/B07PQ92SHC

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

build in a GPS locator/alarm into their wheels so that the app could trigger alarms through the speaker if it gets stolen.  I'm sure it's not hard to wire in a motion sensor alarm system? Or just do it yourself?

Don't all Kingsongs have an alarm that can be enabled from the (slightly buggy) app?

I've used that alarm lock a few times; it (and the Segway) work pretty well, because there's no easy way of disabling a screaming wheel, and also the wheel is disabled without any realistic way for the thief to enable it.

• Like 1

You'd think it would be fairly easy for manufacturers to implement a decent firmware alarm. They could use a class 1 bluetooth on the wheel which would give a 100 meter link to your phone and warn you that the wheel is being moved. I guess you could set whether to have silent, audible and visual alarms. If you don't turn it off with your phone then the wheel won't work for an hour. That way, if your phone dies, you can still ride it home eventually. Once the alarm has been triggered though (and not turned off by your phone) after a set time It will require linking to the original app on your phone to continue working. This will then broadcast the location of the wheel continually via the app. The wheel could also have a warning mode just to tell people it's armed if they touch it. The only extra hardware cost would be the upgraded bluetooth unit.

If the major components of the wheel (battery, motor and motherboard) had mac-addresses or similar) then all the parts can be logged as stolen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, OneWheelWolfi said:

Update:

German police called me yesterday that I will recover my wheel next week and the offender will be prosecuted there. 

I know that thanks to solidarity from EUC community this could be achieved. I am deeply grateful for that. 

Causa finita! :clap3:

Great news!  Very cool looking wheel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Hillary said:

Wow, that's great news! If you find out how they recovered it or if you took any actions yourself please update us when you are able!

I dont’t have futher informations myself….

What I realized in dealing with domestic and foreign authorities was the importance of my DIY design. One the one hand it was easy for me to proove the UNIQUENESS of my wheel (because I made the design myself) , on the other hand it was easy to IDENTIFY it for everyone in a second without any deeper knowledge of EUC’s. I think that helped a lot and kept things efficient and fast.

• Like 1