EUC Bodyguard from roll.nz

6 minutes ago, bcarp said:

Clearly you are on the VIP contact list. You are getting responses at least. A month later, still no reply from the manufacturer. The last reply I received prior to my previous post was "I'm glad that things have worked out satisfactorily." Clearly a misinterpretation of my description of the EUC Bodyguard. Your photos seem to show a nice fit on the KS16X. I'd be interested to see how it fits after putting several kilometres over bumpy ground & whether the EUC Bodyguard rides up like mine does. It grabs on to the pedals, but not the undersurface of the machine, so the lights & light sensor become obscured.

I suggest you contact them on the their contact information from the website. I can say that they have been crazy busy. So my order have taken like a few months to complete. Mostly because I said I could wait and that we were looking at doing new features. One of them we had to abandon as it didn't work out. You are in their time zone so It shouldn't bee to hard to call them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I suggest you contact them on the their contact information from the website.

No, I'm pretty much done with that company. It's not that @The Fat Unicyclist doesn't know about my problem. The Australian distributor had already spoken with him directly about it. And he had replied to my email, and responded to this thread. The Australian distributor offered a refund, which I didn't want to accept because he is a one-man show and would be left with an unsellable product (no longer brand new) which he had paid for & I didn't want to put that on him. (Little did I know my own business would take an 80% drop in revenue just a month later thanks to COVID-19, leading to other cash flow issues…) I told the distributor I would deal with the manufacturer directly as the manufacturer had finally responded to me, but didn't expect the trail to go completely cold; I won't go back on my word to the distributor, but have accepted the product with its flaws. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of those flaws. Now, anyone who runs a business knows that 1 negative review offsets about 20 positive reviews, but there are clearly lots of happy customers out there if the company is still super busy.

1 hour ago, bcarp said:

No, I'm pretty much done with that company. It's not that @The Fat Unicyclist doesn't know about my problem. The Australian distributor had already spoken with him directly about it. And he had replied to my email, and responded to this thread. The Australian distributor offered a refund, which I didn't want to accept because he is a one-man show and would be left with an unsellable product (no longer brand new) which he had paid for & I didn't want to put that on him. (Little did I know my own business would take an 80% drop in revenue just a month later thanks to COVID-19, leading to other cash flow issues…) I told the distributor I would deal with the manufacturer directly as the manufacturer had finally responded to me, but didn't expect the trail to go completely cold; I won't go back on my word to the distributor, but have accepted the product with its flaws. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of those flaws. Now, anyone who runs a business knows that 1 negative review offsets about 20 positive reviews, but there are clearly lots of happy customers out there if the company is still super busy.

My black guard is same"problem" on KS16X pockets not hold on place. Bonus is if not fit euc bodyguard block both brake led lights. Guard "hold" on pedals and this make wear damage to bodyguard. I try refit often anyway pockets slip again. Help only 2 sided sticky tape. After dust cover sticky part ducktape stop hold anyway. 

I just take this like is it. Guard work ks16x is scratch free because EUC bodyguard i ride 1000km with cover. I use vacuum cleaner to clean guard. 

I personaly dont know other method how beter system can be, this pockets is not good not bad.  Im like this product advantages is more like disadvantages. Definetly not ideal just work pros: protect , beter grip , is softer to my legs

Cons:  block brake leds , pockets not hold in real use,

Results: Buy i again this product ? Yes because is no alternative. I was sad like you for this price but if i watch this objectively is realy quality manufacturing and material is very good and product do what is suposed to do then price is fine. I am from Czech Republic and i buy my guard 17.2 2020 maybee they updated something i dont know. I never RMA or contact seler about "problem" because i think this problem no have solution. EUC bodyguard is usable but not ideal product.  You are not alone @bcarp   this pictures is like my KS16X https://imgur.com/a/AiDlqxX absolutely same problem difference is i live with this and i use red flash light on backpack. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bcarp said:

Also the seller is the contect point not the manufactor for a customer. You should know that too if you run a business selling products not services. 

What happens between the seller and manufactor really isn't your problem. No matter if it is a 1 man business or not. 

So about the EUC bodyguard and how it fits. Right now not perfect but with a little tugging and pulling it comes into place. The major problem in the shape of the KS16X. It is hard to get a smooth shape on it. Anyone who have tried to work with neoprene would know it isn't the easiest fabric to works with. 

It is much easier on a KS18L (that I also have an EUC for). As of the rear lights, yes they cat covered up a bit. You could cut a slightly bigger hole for them but I am not sure it will be better. The main reason is how to get a fabric tight fitted over odd shapes.

But I like it alot. It added styling and now my wheel don't get scratched up anymore. Last time I got lost in the forest got a bit rough riding on raw mountain side and tree roots and a few mud pits. Now I plan to go out to ride that area again. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

So about the EUC bodyguard and how it fits. Right now not perfect but with a little tugging and pulling it comes into place. The major problem in the shape of the KS16X. It is hard to get a smooth shape on it. Anyone who have tried to work with neoprene would know it isn't the easiest fabric to works with. 

It is much easier on a KS18L (that I also have an EUC for). 

My experience exactly. The BG on the 18XL fits like a glove, the the shape allows for two perfect anchor points on each side. The 16X is a very tricky wheel to make a BG for because of the curved shape of the bottom sides of the shell, no edges or pronounced curves for the bottom sleeve to latch onto. Yesterday I was playing around with AVAS in the hallway, and when I went to put up the wheel, I noticed the BG had come off of one of the bottom edges. When I went to put it back in place, I couldn't seem to get it right, and I thought of the issues @bcarp had. It didn't seem to want to stay in place, but tugging and playing around with it for a while, it stuck: it's a matter of starting at the very center and spreading the lip over the edges as far to the sides as you can. You reach a point where it slips and you can't adjust it any further; if you pull too much, the other side might come undone. It can take a little fiddling to get it just right, but in my experience, once you do, it stays in place well enough (I've only had to re-adjust it twice in the last 200 km). 

Not perfect in that sense, but I don't personally have any complaints. Sorry about your negative experience, @bcarp, I hope you can find a way to make it work 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Unventor said:

Also the seller is the contect point not the manufactor for a customer.

Interestingly, Australian consumer law is different. The customer can choose anyone along the supply chain as the point of contact. In practice, this usually means the retailer. I don't know who the importer is for this product, whether the distributor or the manufacturer. If the manufacturer is the importer, then they are operating within Australian territory & subject to Australian law. If the distributor is the importer, the manufacturer is also subject to the Australian law but as they are practising outside of Australia, it is impractical to chase them up on this.

I'm pretty much like @DjPanJan. The product is usable, but not ideal. At $200, in my opinion, it's not value for money, but as has been said, there's no equivalent on the market.

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

(I've only had to re-adjust it twice in the last 200 km)

Glad you got it to work. I'm adjusting it every kilometre or two.

3 hours ago, bcarp said:

I'm pretty much like @DjPanJan. The product is usable, but not ideal. At $200, in my opinion, it's not value for money, but as has been said, there's no equivalent on the market.

I understand what you are saying. On the other have these are hand crafted an neoprene is a difficult fabric to handle on such a complex structure. 

I also understand they made a new video on how to fit it. To me it took me 5 min to attach it. 

Brief description on how: 

Pull down over the wheel. Flip the lower part down under the pedal. Pull it as much as possible from the side where the lower velcro isn't attached. Pull down the side to attach the lower velcro part. This kind of make tension in the fabric draw evenly upwards. Rapt on other side. Once both sides are done then attack upper velcro under handle.

It isn't glued on but it looks to me it should stay on. I do have an idea that will make it sit better but I will discuss this with Roll.NZ the manufactor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I understand what you are saying. On the other have these are hand crafted an neoprene is a difficult fabric to handle on such a complex structure. 

I also understand they made a new video on how to fit it. To me it took me 5 min to attach it. 

I have no problems fitting it. I have problems getting it to stay where it should be.

Neoprene may be difficult to work with (I don't know), but I wasn't aware of it before having problems with this product. I have no other neoprene items. If it's difficult, or there's a chance there's a problem, then the advertising should disclose this. "Product may have difficulty staying in place in certain riding conditions" or "lights may be obscured" or something like that. Then the buyer is aware prior to purchase, & has no recourse if this is indeed the case.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I do have an idea that will make it sit better but I will discuss this with Roll.NZ the manufactor. 

I tried floating that with him too, but no response. What I was also asking for was permission to modify mine (and of course share the idea & result with him) without voiding the warranty, but no reply.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:53 AM, bcarp said:

Glad you got it to work. I'm adjusting it every kilometre or two.

You could always go for more extreme mesures and velcro, clamp or even screw it to the bottom of the panel... (Don't hold me responsible for any damage you do to your wheel!) :efee612b4b:

On 4/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, bcarp said:

I have no problems fitting it. I have problems getting it to stay where it should be.

Neoprene may be difficult to work with (I don't know), but I wasn't aware of it before having problems with this product. I have no other neoprene items. If it's difficult, or there's a chance there's a problem, then the advertising should disclose this. "Product may have difficulty staying in place in certain riding conditions" or "lights may be obscured" or something like that. Then the buyer is aware prior to purchase, & has no recourse if this is indeed the case.

The staying in place is directly connected to the fitting. @Unventor only received his a few days ago, let's see how it goes for him :)

On the subject of neoprene, that's not the issue. The issue is keeping the sleeve in place along the bottom edge of the side panels. On mine it's also a thin strip of leather, which is non-slip and very resistant, despite its thickness. I can't really think of what the issue might be...I doubt there are any significant differences in your version and mine (as state by @The Fat Unicyclist), and imagine the size, length is always the same...

On 4/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, Lefteris said:

I think if i order from roll.nz i'll get extra customs fee at the Greek customs office :-/

Any experience with posts from roll nz?

Add 30 NZD (17€) + customs to the order (I think I payed a total of 130€). Shipping was very fast, about 3-4 days

• Like 2

My attitude is if you're gonna drop it, you're gonna drop it.  Kind of like my attitude with motorcycles.  They are meant to be ridden and dropped occasionally.  Battle scars become identifying features and memories of how much of a halfwit you were at certain points.  My MSX has hit gravel, dirt and sand.  All good.  Nothing that a bit of sanding won't sort out later !!!  It's a machine, not a baby and I'll treat it accordingly.  😉.  OK, I am careful but it has had a share of landings.  The reason I got the MSX is because it's rugged and meant to handle scuffs and at the end of the day it is a vehicle.  Neoprene covers would be a joke on mine as they would probably rip in no time.  Make that cover out of kevlar and then we might talk !!

Edited by Gazza-usa

13 minutes ago, Gazza-usa said:

My attitude is if you're gonna drop it, you're gonna drop it.  Kind of like my attitude with motorcycles.  They are meant to be ridden and dropped occasionally.  Battle scars become identifying features and memories of how much of a halfwit you were at certain points.  My MSX has hit gravel, dirt and sand.  All good.  Nothing that a bit of sanding won't sort out later !!!  It's a machine, not a baby and I'll treat it accordingly.  😉.  OK, I am careful but it has had a share of landings.  The reason I got the MSX is because it's rugged and meant to handle scuffs and at the end of the day it is a vehicle.  Neoprene covers would be a joke on mine as they would probably rip in no time.  Make that cover out of kevlar and then we might talk !!

I agree, tho you can't knock it until you try it. Neoprene has a dandy way of minimizing impact and sometimes increasing comfort. It is BECAUSE I planned on beating the shit out of my wheel, that I got a cover. Less time repairing cracks in plastic, more time riding. Cover even holds broken plastic in place a bit, i'd bet!  My mten gets the shit kicked out of it. If a cover were available, I'd probably buy it. Not because I care how it looks, because i could beat it even harder... A hard shell cover would be a tad less than comfortable on the legs. To each his own, but i'm covering my wheels. Of course, the sk18 is just F**ked as i plan to beat it to death and hose it down as soon as I get it out of the box. Not sure how a cover would work on something like that.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gazza-usa said:

opposite of me, i baby everything i own lol.. i want it to look as pristine as the day i got it for as long as possible and even a scratch on the pedal pisses me off.. plus the covers look good especially covering ugly fake carbon fibre and theyre comfortable

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

opposite of me, i baby everything i own lol.. i want it to look as pristine as the day i got it for as long as possible and even a scratch on the pedal pisses me off.. plus the covers look good especially covering ugly fake carbon fibre and theyre comfortable

For the most part I do baby my cars and motorcycles however an EUC to me is utilitarian and is meant to be beaten up a bit.  I don't plan on selling it and if I drop it it isn't an emotional issue.  There's that saying amongst motorcyclists: There are 2 types of rider, ones who have dropped their motorcycles and ones that haven't dropped it...yet.  It's an inevitability with an EUC just because the nature of the sport.  No matter what you do it'll get scuffed at some point and neoprene ain't gonna do jack against a tree root or a lamppost !!  Anyway it'll buff out with sandpaper 😉.

Now if someone made a nylon skid peg that would be a good idea.  All that would be needed is a couple of pegs that stick out on both sides at the top rear and fronts.  Little U shapes would be perfect since they wouldn't catch clothing etc.  Hmmm, maybe this is a 3D printing project to see if the concept is good ...

Edited by Gazza-usa

9 minutes ago, Gazza-usa said:

For the most part I do baby my cars and motorcycles however an EUC to me is utilitarian and is meant to be beaten up a bit.  I don't plan on selling it and if I drop it it isn't an emotional issue.  There's that saying amongst motorcyclists: There are 2 types of rider, ones who have dropped their motorcycles and ones that haven't dropped it...yet.  It's an inevitability with an EUC just because the nature of the sport.  No matter what you do it'll get scuffed at some point and neoprene ain't gonna do jack against a tree root or a lamppost !!  Anyway it'll buff out with sandpaper 😉.

Now if someone made a nylon skid peg that would be a good idea.  All that would be needed is a couple of pegs that stick out on both sides at the top rear and fronts.  Little U shapes would be perfect since they wouldn't catch clothing etc.

aah well i buy and sell eucs all the time haha so its also in my best interest to keep them looking good.. the pegs are a great idea though

4 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

aah well i buy and sell eucs all the time haha so its also in my best interest to keep them looking good.. the pegs are a great idea though

The skid peg idea is just an adaption from motorcycles.  They have 2 wheels and a proud nylon peg to form a triangle which is tall enough to protect the cowling and manifolds.  In our case we would need 2 to make the triangle.  Both sides.  Maybe this is a concept idea for an off-road EUC ?  A little roll cage bar at the top with an indent for your legs to grip (maybe a circular bar with a flattened bit in the middle) ? Just a thought. Think of an "M" shape.

Edited by Gazza-usa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazza-usa said:

The skid peg idea is just an adaption from motorcycles.  They have 2 wheels and a proud nylon peg to form a triangle which is tall enough to protect the cowling and manifolds.  In our case we would need 2 to make the triangle.  Both sides.  Maybe this is a concept idea for an off-road EUC ?  A little roll cage bar at the top with an indent for your legs to grip (maybe a circular bar with a flattened bit in the middle) ? Just a thought. Think of an "M" shape.

Unless well designed and mounted to a solid frame, typically 'sliders' cause more damage than not. A big problem is that they create a pinpoint area of impact before the slide, often times resulting in bent frames or destruction of the part the slider is attached to. I would almost suspect that its safer for an euc to land with MORE surface area at once, as this spreads the load. Im sure theres a way to design something, but aside from a roll cage, i dont see it in the future. Nevermind the damage to the rider, should they get caught up in a peg.  As for not withstanding roots... Well, I wear shoes, even tho its pointless, should I get an anvil dropped on my feet :)  I know for a fact MY cover has saved my plastic from break on many rocks and roots and asphalt. I'm so certain they help, I've another one being built in NZ as we read this. Just like travs, my pedals and handles tell a different story.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2020 at 2:47 AM, travsformation said:

This isn't your average neoprene, you might as well call it kevlar, because it's seriously sturdy stuff...

My 18XL has had a 45 km/h pavement-scrubbing slide and more offroad falls than I can count, bouncing, sliding & rolling on dirt, gravel, pointy rocks, and once you wipe the dust off, and after 1,000+ km of abuse, after cleaning it you'd never guess it's had a single fall (the cover; the pedals and trolley handle have plenty of stories to tell...). Same reason a lot of 4WD owners apply protective coatings to their rigs.

To each their own, but I find it much more convenient to slip on a neoprene sleeve than to have to replace a cracked outer shell. 

Good to know. Thanks.

• Like 1

Where is the cover for the beloved Mten? I know it seems silly to spend $100 on a cover to cover a $600-800 machine, but I'll gladly bite! How many of us on here would be willing to pay for it? The mten is a tough little bugger, but my spoiled ass wants softer edges and that awesome color choice you get from a cover. I imagine the pedals staying folded could present an issue. DO any of these covers have magnets in the cover, or does it not affect the folding? Cmon guys, lets all cry and cry about covers for the mten and MAYBE it'll seem a worthy invest for RollNZ to make some.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Where is the cover for the beloved Mten? I know it seems silly to spend $100 on a cover to cover a $600-800 machine, but I'll gladly bite! How many of us on here would be willing to pay for it? The mten is a tough little bugger, but my spoiled ass wants softer edges and that awesome color choice you get from a cover. I imagine the pedals staying folded could present an issue. DO any of these covers have magnets in the cover, or does it not affect the folding? Cmon guys, lets all cry and cry about covers for the mten and MAYBE it'll seem a worthy invest for RollNZ to make some.

I'd have 1 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN7884.thumb.JPG.f5c7425b1edfa57489d59ae7b62aca32.JPG

Colors are to die for! I love the blue, but then the purple showed up. Don't fret, the purple is NOT that girly lavender or shaded too far red. THIS  purple is my favorite color, it lands right in the middle. Granted, one IS less abused, but they both look spectacular! Customer service was top notch and worth every penny! Now, does anyone else notice something missing in this photo? Hmm, anyone? Hint, it's not the 'mud flap', its something else...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

DSCN7884.thumb.JPG.f5c7425b1edfa57489d59ae7b62aca32.JPG

Colors are to die for! I love the blue, but then the purple showed up. Don't fret, the purple is NOT that girly lavender or shaded too far red. THIS  purple is my favorite color, it lands right in the middle. Granted, one IS less abused, but they both look spectacular! Customer service was top notch and worth every penny! Now, does anyone else notice something missing in this photo? Hmm, anyone? Hint, it's not the 'mud flap', its something else...

It looks to me like your bare Mten3 has no bodyguard , wouldn't that look nice to have all your wheels looking nice and protected 😁👍😊

• Like 3