EUC Bodyguard from roll.nz

Well, I am happy to add my praise for the EUC Bodyguard and being local I have been able to see their care and attention to their product first hand. Lots of work goes into them, and it shows, in my view. I can't imagine buying a wheel without one. Sometimes I miss the look of a naked wheel, but every time it takes a tumble, there is a huge amount of relief that it's likely the wheel came away unscathed.

• Like 2

I agree.  I put one on the first wheel I learned on and not a scratch anywhere on the plastic that it's been covering.  I call it my wheel condom.  You never can be too safe. 😁

• Like 2

I'm thinking of it like a case for a smart phone. Sure, a new phone looks and feels great when you're using it without a case, but they're worth too much to risk that you won't drop it when getting out of the car or it slips and hits the asphalt and you crack that shiny new piece of hardware.  The same thing with your EUC. IMO they're worth too much to ride without some kind of protection.

damaged-phone.png

• Like 2

Hey everyone.

We have had a couple of comments from people saying that they would love to be able to put reviews on our website... So we have added a review module and now you can!

Do feel free to add your comments here too though. Either way we love all of your feedback, so wherever or however, keep it coming...

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 4:10 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hey everyone.

We have had a couple of comments from people saying that they would love to be able to put reviews on our website... So we have added a review module and now you can!

Do feel free to add your comments here too though. Either way we love all of your feedback, so wherever or however, keep it coming...

Received the bodyguard today fitting easy as putting on a sweater 😁

Lovely product to keep your 16x safe from scratches and fall damage👍

I didn't want to do a big write up so here's a video i put together  instead👍

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist

Edited by stephen
  • Like 3

On 10/13/2019 at 5:10 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hey everyone.

Cool! Will copy-paste (and maybe shorten) my review to your site! :)

13 hours ago, jonm42 said:

Definite interest in Inmotion. How about for a V10, please?

So you're not a fan of the current Inmotion covers?

If we were to make one, what would you want different?

• Like 1

I don't really like how the Inmotion cover is attached and I'd prefer a broader choice of colors. An optional wheel cover that integrated nicely would be excellent, as I have to put my wheel in the car (vs. the boot) to prevent it from sliding around. Dont want a 22kg bullet sliding around in the back.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:44 AM, jonm42 said:

I don't really like how the Inmotion cover is attached and I'd prefer a broader choice of colors. An optional wheel cover that integrated nicely would be excellent, as I have to put my wheel in the car (vs. the boot) to prevent it from sliding around. Dont want a 22kg bullet sliding around in the back.

@The Fat Unicyclist and I'd be more than happy to check out prototypes :) ...

On 10/17/2019 at 12:12 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So you're not a fan of the current Inmotion covers?

If we were to make one, what would you want different?

Areas for improvement in my mind:

1. It covers the tail light and speaker making it hard to hear warnings at speed. (I cut holes for these, now the inmotion logo has holes in it, did they really have to put another logo here?)

2. It also covers all of the side LEDs

3. The sides are made of slippery polyester or nylon fabric, so it doesn't allow good grip of the wheel, nor is there really any good way to attach kuji pads or similar to help.  (I've considered sewing on soft (loop) velcro patches to the sides of the cover to allow moveable/removeable pads to be attached there.

4. It fits relatively loosely, without much to anchor it, and moves around a lot, frequently partially obscuring the headlight. The only thing that holds it is one velcro strap under each pedal mount, and the bit of tension provided by the thin strips of neoprene in the front and back- nothing on top.

5. It doesn't provide much if any protection around the top/handle areas, the top edges are prone to scratching since a flap just sits on the edge and can easily be peeled away exposing the tops of the side covers for abrasion.  This also allows a lot of dirt/debris to fall down inside the cover, potentially scuffing the finish as the cover rubs that debris against the side covers.

6. It isn't especially attractive- limited color choices, and it is more like an overdone advertisement for inMotion.

7. It could provide a lot better padding in the shin and ankle bone areas.

8. It doesn't look especially durable, especially the front/back- the neoprene is relatively thin and looks easy to rip/shred from a slide down some pavement. Not sure how well the polyester/nylon fabric sides would hold up to abrasion.

It certainly is better than nothing though, and Jason throws them in for free.   I feel a bit of #BodyguardEnvy whenever I see people with their Roll.nz bodyguard pictures and stories on here though.  I bet so do those Gotway riders!

Edited by Blueblade
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Blueblade said:

It doesn't look especially durable, especially the front/back- the neoprene is relatively thin and looks easy to rip/shred from a slide down some pavement. Not sure how well the polyester/nylon fabric sides would hold up to abrasion.

The sides seem to hold up OK, but the neoprene... :facepalm:

20191003-164455.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:29 AM, Blueblade said:

Areas for improvement in my mind:

1. It covers the tail light and speaker making it hard to hear warnings at speed. (I cut holes for these, now the inmotion logo has holes in it, did they really have to put another logo here?)

2. It also covers all of the side LEDs

3. The sides are made of slippery polyester or nylon fabric, so it doesn't allow good grip of the wheel, nor is there really any good way to attach kuji pads or similar to help.  (I've considered sewing on soft (loop) velcro patches to the sides of the cover to allow moveable/removeable pads to be attached there.

4. It fits relatively loosely, without much to anchor it, and moves around a lot, frequently partially obscuring the headlight. The only thing that holds it is one velcro strap under each pedal mount, and the bit of tension provided by the thin strips of neoprene in the front and back- nothing on top.

5. It doesn't provide much if any protection around the top/handle areas, the top edges are prone to scratching since a flap just sits on the edge and can easily be peeled away exposing the tops of the side covers for abrasion.  This also allows a lot of dirt/debris to fall down inside the cover, potentially scuffing the finish as the cover rubs that debris against the side covers.

6. It isn't especially attractive- limited color choices, and it is more like an overdone advertisement for inMotion.

7. It could provide a lot better padding in the shin and ankle bone areas.

8. It doesn't look especially durable, especially the front/back- the neoprene is relatively thin and looks easy to rip/shred from a slide down some pavement. Not sure how well the polyester/nylon fabric sides would hold up to abrasion.

It certainly is better than nothing though, and Jason throws them in for free.   I feel a bit of #BodyguardEnvy whenever I see people with their Roll.nz bodyguard pictures and stories on here though.  I bet so do those Gotway riders!

I agree with @jonm42... Thanks for the comprehensive list.

We did wonder why Inmotion made a wheel with all of those side LED and then offered a cover that covered them all up.

Let me say that we are currently looking to expand both the current colour range and the models that we cater for. This is a challenge on both fronts, as the colour range for the more robust neoprene is somewhat limited. We also need to keep a wheel available for every Bodyguard model that we sell, so that we can react to any issues or enhancement suggestions (which is not an insignificant cost).

But consider Inmotion to be officially on the list of EUC that we want to provide a solution for...

• Like 3

On 10/4/2019 at 8:56 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As this is the first batch, we will be photogrphing a number of Bodyguards for our website.. Which we will do at no extra charge to you. But it will give you something to watch while the real thing tracks it's way around the world to your 16X!   :D

@The Fat Unicyclist Is the Ninebot Z series (Z6 / Z8 / Z10) also somewhere on that list ?
Or did I miss something, a darker web link on your website mentioning it :P

On 11/3/2019 at 11:33 PM, Meulebeest said:

@The Fat Unicyclist Is the Ninebot Z series (Z6 / Z8 / Z10) also somewhere on that list ?
Or did I miss something, a darker web link on your website mentioning it :P

So many wheels... So few EUC Bodyguard Designers!!!   :(

We did look at the Z10 about 4-5 months ago and at that time it proved quite challenging to deliver (and subsequently put on hold).

However, our EUC Bodyguards are still evolving and the learning that we get from each new model or iteration adds to our understanding of how the Neoprene needs to fit for optimal protection, how it will stretch which affects LED cutouts, and where it needs to attach for stability...  And some of the key points we have learned since we first looked at the Z10 may mean that it is possible, so we will put it back on the "to do" list and see what we can manage...   :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

However, our EUC Bodyguards are still evolving and the learning that we get from each new model or iteration adds to our understanding of how the Neoprene needs to fit for optimal protection, how it will stretch which affects LED cutouts,

Kevin, have you ever considered sewing in flexible silicone windows instead of cutting out holes in the neoprene where the LEDs located? 

49018399042_684192bffc_b.jpg

49018456027_a07ca2eeea_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

I were thinking in the line of the same thing, have a inner liner of clear pvc. But this would make it a much harder job to sew I guess, unless you have them separate, similar to waterproof inner jacket to a MC Jacket. 

• 1 month later...

I just got my first wheel (18L in white). I heard the white plastic in the 18L was better. I prefer the black look, but i just KNEW I should get a cover for it, BEFORE I even turned it on the very first day. I got the euc and waited 2 long days for the cover. Let me say this... the cover has saved my wheel. I ride on rough asphalt and it is eating my pedals alive. The plastic still looks good. Some of the plastic where the holes are cut out, have scratches from the road, but this only illustrates that the cover IS taking a beating. I am very happy with mine, and applaud the use of neoprene to help absorb impact. It also looks really nice. I like the softer feel of the cover on my legs, and havent found it moves around on the wheel. I only wonder if there were some form of waterproofing i should apply, or care advice to prolong the cover's longevity? Thanks for the amazing cover! I have no idea if my 50lb wheel would still be unbroken, without it. Another benefit is that the side pads you remove to open the wheel, can be barely taped in place, as the cover holds them together and would also hide pads tears... A+ product for sure!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I just got my first wheel (18L in white). I heard the white plastic in the 18L was better. I prefer the black look, but i just KNEW I should get a cover for it, BEFORE I even turned it on the very first day. I got the euc and waited 2 long days for the cover. Let me say this... the cover has saved my wheel. I ride on rough asphalt and it is eating my pedals alive. The plastic still looks good. Some of the plastic where the holes are cut out, have scratches from the road, but this only illustrates that the cover IS taking a beating. I am very happy with mine, and applaud the use of neoprene to help absorb impact. It also looks really nice. I like the softer feel of the cover on my legs, and havent found it moves around on the wheel. I only wonder if there were some form of waterproofing i should apply, or care advice to prolong the cover's longevity? Thanks for the amazing cover! I have no idea if my 50lb wheel would still be unbroken, without it. Another benefit is that the side pads you remove to open the wheel, can be barely taped in place, as the cover holds them together and would also hide pads tears... A+ product for sure!

Hi @ShanesPlanet.

Thanks for the feedback!   :thumbup:

In general, we have over-engineered the EUC Bodyguard so that you don't need to worry about "doing stuff". If you ride off-road regularly though, we do recommend a regular "removal and clean" process.

I also wouldn't be too worried about rain (if you are "wearing" an EUC Bodyguard). But we are also working on a new product that is specifically designed for rain protection, so keep an eye out for something in the next few weeks...   :shock2: