My 100-volt Nikola Plus Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

5 minutes ago, Fuzzypixel said:

I think you meant left if that was about opened wheels?

Thanks. Fixed.

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, maltocs said:

Keep in mind I gave you permission to test the wheel, not to try on my shower cap!

They say bring a used car to your trusted mechanic to have it checked out, i just chose to do the same with a brand new wheel. Thanks for the video and prepping it for me!

:roflmao:  Sorry about that. I'll be sure to clean it :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's a fun pedestrian interaction during my first ride on the Nikola Plus

"I cant ask you no more questions-" that part killed me,  haha! This guy was awesome. I love how excited he was to see one for the first time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

FYI, WheelLog (any version) is really off. The Playstore version was wrong by ~15%.

I wonder why... I can't find an explanation for his:pooping:

5 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

Good to know since no app really seems to give the correct battery percentage on the 100V wheels.

Not sure what is going on here.

Does Wheellog have a "100V" option you can set like the 84V option?

84V Gotways til now always reported their voltage scaled down by 4/5 so it looks like a 67V wheel to the app. Precisely so the app didn't have to account for the wheel (which it can't know) and always shows the right battery % (and the wrong voltage for 84V wheels). The Wheellog option is there to get the correct voltage back (for 84V wheels).

So where does that 80V number come from? Does the Nikola 100V firmware report the true voltage now? But then Wheellog would show some other percentage and would be massively off, not just by 15%.

I don't get it:confused1:

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty: You have exactly 20% more battery there, not just around 15%. The 100V has 6*24 cells, the 84V 6*20 cells (24/20=1.2). The "1845" (~1840Wh) is just less rounded up than the "1600" (~1530Wh going by the same math):)

I was estimating: 15% of 1600 is 240 which is close to 1845.

But OK, it's not more efficient 😕

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

But OK, it's not more efficient 😕

Sorry:whistling:

Maybe it's more efficient at speed. That theory hasn't been tested yet. So there's hope yet (also for the 126V which might be more efficient if it runs notably cooler than the others due to the reduced current).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

that makes for an easy calculation of the range off the LED. Every voltage above 80v is 5% of battery. I'd still rather have an actual percent, but I guess its the next best thing. Thanks for the test!

I hadn't thought of that. That is good to know and easy to remember

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Who takes all those photos? :) 

@Marty Backes wife, I believe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I saw a few in the photo thread. Had a hard time imagining it would all be done with a tripod or a cell phone with a timer :D 

In all the pictures I've published, my wife has only taken a few of them. She did take this picture :)

• Like 1