My 100-volt Nikola Plus Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's strange. When the charger isn't attached to anything the amperage reading should be zero, not "kinda high".

Sorry, providing further troubleshooting suggestions without having the charger in front of me is beyond my communications skills :)

Good to know whomever makes these chargers also doesn't believe in testing before shipping, just like Gotway :unsure:

Most of the charges show .05 or less when nothing is plugged in. But the eWheels 84V smartcharger shows 0.23A with nothing plugged in, so i didn't think much of the  fact this 10A "smart" charger (with no special switches for charging speed or 80%/90%/100% auto off)  was showing 0.5A with nothing plugged in.

But I can assure you this product has gone though rigorous quality control testing before it left the factory as evidence by this little sticker.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Perhaps the cutoff/full threshold is set wrong, as @Rotciv has instructed me in the below post:

I think i found the little blue with gold adjustment screws for the Potentiometer as referenced in the other thread which would control output. The other adjustment is to control the threshold to actually kick on the charger? or does that giant "84" glaring at me tell me they built this thing with the wrong parts to be a 100V charger? 

20190821_153738.jpg

20190821_153532.jpg

20190821_153220.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Most of the charges show .05 or less when nothing is plugged in. But the eWheels 84V smartcharger shows 0.23A with nothing plugged in, so i didn't think much of the  fact this 10A "smart" charger (with no special switches for charging speed or 80%/90%/100% auto off)  was showing 0.5A with nothing plugged in.

But I can assure you this product has gone though rigorous quality control testing before it left the factory as evidence by this little sticker.

I think i found the little blue with gold adjustment screws for the Potentiometer as referenced in the other thread which would control output. The other adjustment is to control the threshold to actually kick on the charger? or does that giant "84" glaring at me tell me they built this thing with the wrong parts to be a 100V charger? 

20190821_153738.jpg

If I recall, GF threw this charger in as a freebie of sorts, right? Now you know what it's worth :lol:

Sorry for laughing at your expense :ph34r:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, maltocs said:

FYI, this is just one of the several generic chargers you can find on AliExpress and configure to your needs (if you know what to ask for, and better if you can solder):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961214439.html

Also, while in the EUC world, we for some reason use maximum voltage (4.2V max x 24 cells = 100.8V or "100V"), the other PEV worlds seem to go by nominal voltage, so either 3.6V x 24 cells = 86.4V, or 3.66V x 24 cells = 87.84

32 minutes ago, maltocs said:

20190821_153220.jpg

Every charger is slightly different, but without claiming to be an expert here (and as @Rotciv has indicated for the Wate charger models), the blue potentiometer nearest to the output charging plug seems to usually be voltage control, while the other 2 are current and charging threshold. Measuring current/amps, I'd just rotate one at a time, noting the original position, to figure out which is which (totally didn't realize this when trying to tinker and re-purpose my old 67V v2 eWheels charger).

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If I recall, GF threw this charger in as a freebie of sorts, right? Now you know what it's worth :lol:

Sorry for laughing at your expense :ph34r:

I'm somewhat laughing too as my first neverending Green Fashion experience. 

Heres a video of the not working charger. but don't rack too much brain power, i already contacted Green Fashion. 

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I'd just rotate one at a time, noting the original position, to figure out which is which (totally didn't realize this when trying to tinker and re-purpose my old 67V v2 eWheels charger)

Thanks, if i don't get a response from GF and i'm stuck with this dead weight, i'll try this. For now, i'm going to see if send me a new one or somehow compensates me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 3:50 AM, maltocs said:

Thanks, if i don't get a response from GF and i'm stuck with this dead weight, i'll try this. For now, i'm going to see if send me a new one or somehow compensates me. 

What happened in the end? 

5 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

What happened in the end? 

Oh, i forgot to finish the story. In the end, I got the fast charger he promised. I just had to do the $1 purchase AGAIN. I never had to send back the bad charger. I'll keep it for parts in case the new one break as the wires don't like they are screwed/crimped in well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, how often are you using the charger and how do the connectors look so far?
I was going to get a 100v 10A charger too, but I've been advised to get a lower one, so I'm going for a 100V 6A for the GX16-5 connector not to melt one day...

image.png.ceeb35f8a5ca5cd9a3f4d8e9e601e096.png

it good to have a backup charger, but honestly, i NEVER use it. just once to test it. The stock charger is plenty fast enough and the whole reason for buying an 1845WH wheel is so i don't have to charge midway on a ride. Well, at least with my riding habits anyways. Because of the ever so slight increase in power on this wheel, if i had to do it over again, I might just do the 2100 84V at about the same price so i wouldn't have to deal with buying spare chargers as my other 84V gotways use the same charger. 

You can see some slightly exposed wire under the insulation. I just need to loosen the screws and cram the wires in there and retighten. I'm just afraid of something touching if I cram too hard. But as I never really use it at all, it's not priority one for me. I wish it had an 80% or 90% auto stop like the ewheels fast chargers do, then I'd use it a lot more

13 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

how do the connectors look so far?

• Like 2