Level of Politeness on this Forum

andrew900nyc

One underlying reason is probably also that the average age of users in this forum is much higher than most... there haven't been any really recent polls, but at least in this one the largest group was 40-49 year olds:

0RLnzOA.png

There was another more recent one with similar results, but couldn't find it right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mythe00 said:

I think it might be because EUC's are relatively expensive and that acts as a bit of a gateway to age groups that are into the hobby. 

Most likely, most twenty-something's can't drop 1000+$/€ into a wheel

• Like 1

Probably because a disagreement with reality results in a faceplant. 

Wrong wheel... faceplant.

Wrong tire... faceplant.

Wrong technique... faceplant.

Wrong attitude... faceplant.

Wrong advice... faceplant.

You quickly learn how binary wheels are (balanced or faceplanted), and so wheel-based arguments resolve themselves quickly (by trying x results in balanced or faceplanted). In contrast, other forums have shades of grey.

Not here: there's only two results.

--balanced

--faceplanted

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your answers! I have now obtained much well thought out insights regarding the reasons for my observation. That's another thing that stands out in this forum: the quality of the replies and the intellect of the members. It's nice to be among smart people... perhaps it will help me to pass myself off as intelligent, too, since you're supposed to be known by the company you keep! 

10 hours ago, kasenutty said:

You can be rude to me if you want to, @andrew900nyc , I won't mind :D 

Haha, every forum has at least one (or more, if lucky) members who provide comic relief to the community. I could tell right from the start that you are one of the primary members providing that function! I, for one, sure do appreciate it! Nothing helps us survive on this big rock with all our fellow crazy apes more than having a good laugh.

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! Empirically everyone is polite and interact with the other members in a cordial fashion so very little intervention is required by the moderators. If things do get out of hand I stay on the sidelines and let our mafia brothers handle the situation.

Thanks for the outstanding job you do. Being from NYC, just let me know if you need the Brooklyn or the Bronx crew to lend a hand. Vinny and Vito are just a call away. Or if you need the Brighton Beach crew, I'll give Igor and Borris a call. Just say the word. 

7 hours ago, Kens said:

Perfectly-balanced-funny-thanos-meme.jpg

Thanos would be proud..

Slight derail, but did anyone immediately see the flaw of Thanatos's action of killing half the people?

If you kill half of a population then it would repopulate within a few to half a dozen generations.

You have to kill half the females (or half the male seahorse population).

Let's look at a hypothetical situation (used by every biologist).

Place 100 males and 100 females on an island. Convince 95 of the males not to have sex. How many of the females will be pregnant by the end of the year?

Now instead convince 95 of the females to be on birth control. How many of the females will be pregnant by the end of the year?

I do think Thanatos's mind was in the right place, because there's too many people and not enough resources, and places of resources are like lifeboats that can't hold everyone.

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! Empirically everyone is polite and interact with the other members in a cordial fashion so very little intervention is required by the moderators. If things do get out of hand I stay on the sidelines and let our mafia brothers handle the situation.

So that's the explanation when people disappear from the board without a trace? They've "moved on" so to speak... :whistling:

Luckily most of us still seem to be here, so I guess the brothers at least show some restraint...

37 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

So that's the explanation when people disappear from the board without a trace? They've "moved on" so to speak... :whistling:

Luckily most of us still seem to be here, so I guess the brothers at least show some restraint...

Lucky there are not that many truly evil people in the world so most seem to behave nice most if the time. 😏

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Lucky there are not that many truly evil people in the world so most seem to behave nice most if the time. 😏

Let's just say I both agree and disagree to that. I think it depends on the definition of evil. But it is pretty nice to hang around here, not having to dodge to many wayward flying chainsaws.

An other factor (and nice thing IMO) is that there aren’t (yet?) fanboys and the resulting flame wars.
Some people have brand affinities but no one is getting out of their way to discredit others preferences.

As a Mac and mirrorless camera user, I'm used to being told that my equipment is "useless toys" :efefb6a84e:

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

other factor (and nice thing IMO) is that there aren’t (yet?) fanboys and the resulting flame wars.

It's difficult to be a fanboy when every single model from every single manufacturer has cut out and faceplanted a rider.

I swear to God, EUCs slap us around like domestic abusers, and we love 'em for it, so undoubtedly we are fanboys of the entire technology but of no particular abuser/manufacturer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1